Pages:
Author

Topic: [Announcement] Avalon ASIC Development Status [Batch #1] - page 35. (Read 155318 times)

Activity: 336
Merit: 251
Avalon ASIC Team
Does this mean it is encased in plastic or will the chip be covered with a metal heat spreader?

What are the viable ambient operating temperatures for the Avalon ASIC? (32F > 105F?)

Are you talking about the Atheros AR7240? or the ASIC? I'll assume it is the ASIC in question. I have already released packaging information we'll be using QFN, so yes it is plastic. The current ASIC is designed to operate at ambient temperature of 40C. There will be heat-sinks on both side of the PCB. the unit also designed to create a wind-tunnel like effect for air flow, I'll provide more detail once that test finishes.
donator
Activity: 1419
Merit: 1015
I would like to reserve a spot to be in on the second batch prior to the Chinese New Year.
legendary
Activity: 1890
Merit: 1003
In view of the situation at Hua Wei and past dealings with Chinese hardware,
I think I would really like to see the embedded network and communication code.

The funniest 'Trojan' I saw was a 'very well known' alarm manufacturer  that allowed the user to enter their own  4 digit 'user code'
But actually 3 of the digits were ignored when checking............

It's using a Atheros AR7240 / Atheros AR9331 Chipset and it'll run openWRT, you are welcome to look all you want when we release the image.iso in a 2-3 weeks.

We have gotten some impressive people working with Avalon you don't really have to worry about that. For example, Fujitsu is doing our chip packaging.
Does this mean it is encased in plastic or will the chip be covered with a metal heat spreader?

What are the viable ambient operating temperatures for the Avalon ASIC? (32F > 105F?)
Avalon ASIC Team

The funniest 'Trojan' I saw was a 'very well known' alarm manufacturer  that allowed the user to enter their own  4 digit 'user code'

It's using a Atheros AR7240 / Atheros AR9331 Chipset and it'll run openWRT, you are welcome to look all you want when we release the image.iso in a 2-3 weeks.

We have gotten some impressive people working with Avalon you don't really have to worry about that. For example, Fujitsu is doing our chip packaging.
Activity: 196
Merit: 100

The funniest 'Trojan' I saw was a 'very well known' alarm manufacturer  that allowed the user to enter their own  4 digit 'user code'
legendary
Activity: 952
Merit: 1000
I have a question. My apologies if its already been answered.

Will the Avalon be able to host other FPGAs/ASICs via USB?

Yes, but since there's only one USB port, you'll have to use a USB hub.

0_0
Avalon ASIC Team

Yes, but since there's only one USB port, you'll have to use a USB hub.
legendary
Activity: 1484
Merit: 1026
In Cryptocoins I Trust

Activity: 196
Merit: 100

If they have any sense they will handle RMA offsite and outside of China, since ShenZhen customs are having a silly season (due to the sudden surge of smuggling over the  LoWu/ Wong Gong boarders with Hong Kong/ Sheung Shui).

Currently if you want to get items into Shenzhen as returns they have to go via Beijing/ ShangHai..... because it is a shit load faster.

legendary
For me pictures did not matter at all. It is very clear from the beginning that ngzhang and his team are having access to top manufacturing facilities + their skills make them mine favorites. That is why i "bet" on them! The main difference between them and their competition is that they are "Local" which is a huge advantage. I suggest to leave them work and to loose their time with pictures and such. When they have something to share with us they will do.
I have to say, the photos of the manufacturing line is impressive.

Though, I do have high confidence they will do as they say....it never hurts to ask.

In this case, I think the competition will be embarrassed with what they have in comparison.

Perhaps the Avalon dev team should post a thread titled:

"Avalon invests heavily in high speed production equipment"

---------------------------------------

Though, it is probably just a production line they have access to as opposed to actual purchases of property. Then again, if they have ready access to it locally, do they really need to purchase it? Probably not....

A question that comes to mind is where would an RMA be sent (for warranty repair)? Would it be sent to a USA address or a China address?
legendary
Activity: 1610
For me pictures did not matter at all. It is very clear from the beginning that ngzhang and his team are having access to top manufacturing facilities + their skills make them mine favorites. That is why i "bet" on them! The main difference between them and their competition is that they are "Local" which is a huge advantage. I suggest to leave them work and to loose their time with pictures and such. When they have something to share with us they will do.
Activity: 107
Merit: 10
Epic  Smiley.
Thanks a lot for photos.
legendary
Activity: 1484
Merit: 1026
In Cryptocoins I Trust
 Shocked

Those look like very efficient machines. Thanks for sharing!
Avalon ASIC Team
I've uploaded the full album here. http://imgur.com/a/KPBTl

and updated the front page.

legendary

I suppose the competition has ruined the "no news is good news" statement. We are on schedule and is not currently running into any problems or having new development speeding up our timeline. I could post some facility photos, but I feel that's a childish move and proves nothing. Alas, if there is demand from the community, I'll be happy to show off our truly state of the art equipment used to produce the Avalon.

For myself I'd like to see some photos. It's not about necessity to prove anything, I just like fab photos and it makes this thread more colourful.  Smiley
I have pretty much the same sentiments.
legendary
Activity: 1022
BitMinter
I would like to see some pics too  Grin
Activity: 107
Merit: 10

I suppose the competition has ruined the "no news is good news" statement. We are on schedule and is not currently running into any problems or having new development speeding up our timeline. I could post some facility photos, but I feel that's a childish move and proves nothing. Alas, if there is demand from the community, I'll be happy to show off our truly state of the art equipment used to produce the Avalon.

For myself I'd like to see some photos. It's not about necessity to prove anything, I just like fab photos and it makes this thread more colourful.  Smiley

Mmm, exactly finish and metal used in the device is not final as of yet, but the dimension is most likely 375 x 375 x 150mm. It's a compact little thing.

The dimensions sounds great, but pretty please not the white colour case for Avalon Wink. Titanium or black should be best Smiley.
Avalon ASIC Team
Any news regarding the devices ?

Regards
Thorvald

Yeah.  I'm curious about these.  What will they look like?

Mmm, exactly finish and metal used in the device is not final as of yet, but the dimension is most likely 375 x 375 x 150mm. It's a compact little thing.
Activity: 633
Merit: 500
Yeah.  I'm curious about these.  What will they look like?
Activity: 388
Merit: 250
Any news regarding the devices ?

Regards
Thorvald
Pages:
Jump to: