Pages:
Author

Topic: [ANN][SIM] Simcoin - A Simple Coin - page 42. (Read 157733 times)

Activity: 840
Merit: 1002
Simcoin Developer
June 05, 2014, 06:03:48 AM
I suspect your game is...

Shhhh! Be smart inside your own head Wink

On a more serious note. You said before that you may be using a consensus system similar to ripple in an effort to achieve instant transaction times. If this is the case why are you worried about other coins?

Well, for one, instant transactions is not such a killer feature in itself. In many cases users are quite alright with waiting 30 sec for confirmations. Besides, NXT might actually make something working, who knows, they have plans for "instant" transactions too. I am skeptical, but that doesn't mean they can't do it.

Copycats take all your work in an instant, so they immediately negate any technological lead you have. And investors don't mind jumping from coin to coin. How many here hold both NXT and NEM?

So with copycats, it's difficult to retain any lead you might have. Our species likes everything new just because it's new.
legendary
Activity: 1176
Merit: 1015
June 05, 2014, 05:46:59 AM
What about a bit larger pic Smiley?

Nah, that's a good size Wink

You're the most confusing developer ever. I suspect your game is to eventually make it look like you're scamming by being utterly preposterous in all the things you do and write.

Then I suspect the end game is to actually release an awesome new coin with unique fantastic features. Of course the release only comes when the investors are on the verge of defeat.

Smiley

Am I right?

On a more serious note. You said before that you may be using a consensus system similar to ripple in an effort to achieve instant transaction times. If this is the case why are you worried about other coins?

We can break up possible competitors into two main categories; existing coins and copy cat coins.

Copy cat coins shouldn't be a problem as long as you get at least 1000 early adoptors on board with the IPO.

Existing coins also shouldn't be a problem because if your solution involves that consensus tech it will most likely be quite difficult to port that over to a traditional blockchain based coin.
Simcoin Developer
June 05, 2014, 05:29:00 AM

Nah, that's a good size Wink
Activity: 756
Merit: 502
June 05, 2014, 05:26:17 AM

Humble beginnings Grin

Simcoin Developer
June 05, 2014, 04:54:21 AM
Woo-hoo! I've just added a new account all the way from the client, through consensus of 4 nodes and into the ledger database in each one of them!

This is how it looked:

Humble beginnings Grin
Simcoin Developer
June 05, 2014, 03:27:28 AM
Dev, please could you give me some thoughts about handling/shrinking blockchain size?

Nobody reads OP?

Database format will be as compact as possible to help with "blockchain bloat". From the start the transaction history can be arbitrary truncated or even turned off completely!
Activity: 89
Merit: 10
June 05, 2014, 02:43:13 AM
Dev, please could you give me some thoughts about handling/shrinking blockchain size?
Simcoin Developer
June 04, 2014, 06:12:10 PM

Woo-hoo! I've just added a new account all the way from the client, through consensus of 4 nodes and into the ledger database in each one of them!

Now all I have to do is basically add various types of transactions.

Well, not that simple, of course, the devil is in the thousand tiny details, but still, I am happy that the core mechanics is now working!

(By the way, it's my 59th coding day).
Simcoin Developer
June 04, 2014, 04:01:25 PM
If they would only rate in "this makes money / this definitely will not make money" it could be compared. But it's apples and oranges.

"subprime mortgages will definitely make money!"

Good enough comparison for you? Grin

Anyway, let's not start that whole argument all over again...

The worst case scenario is keeping the source closed and doing nothing anyway. Same goes for simply open source. Right now cryptoworld is just not the enviroment you want to release new code to.

The best option seems to delay opening the source and try to gain as much lead as we can. If Simcoin will be any good, it won't be hard Smiley

I think releasing the NXT source a month earlier was a mistake. We can probably delay it longer and get away with it.

NXT just started to look good enough, so it as well could have been a test net up until now...
Activity: 196
Merit: 100
June 04, 2014, 03:40:01 PM
...Preferrably a paid expert...

I was always against paying somebody to review your system. For arguments you can dig up the old NXT topic Smiley

Basically, it's wrong to pay someone to rate you, the recent banking crisis is a good example.

It's Ok to hire a company to do an internal audit for you, but not Ok to pay somebody to vouch for you publicly.

Nevertheless, I think an approach like this might offer the option of gaining a significant lead without disclosing the sourcecode.

It all depends on how awesome Simcoin will be and nobody knows that, including me.

We just have to wait and see how badly people want the darn thing Smiley

Actually, it's not about rating. It's about saying it works/ does not work. Not to answer the question how it is compared to others.

Also, bringing up the banking crisis isn't exactly on the same terms.

If they would only rate in "this makes money / this definitely will not make money" it could be compared. But it's apples and oranges.

But anyway. Any form of legitimacy for a closed source is welcome.

The worst case scenario is keeping the source closed and doing nothing anyway. Same goes for simply open source. Right now cryptoworld is just not the enviroment you want to release new code to.

Also +1 for xkcd
Simcoin Developer
June 04, 2014, 07:38:46 AM

Grin
Simcoin Developer
June 04, 2014, 06:45:18 AM
...Preferrably a paid expert...

I was always against paying somebody to review your system. For arguments you can dig up the old NXT topic Smiley

Basically, it's wrong to pay someone to rate you, the recent banking crisis is a good example.

It's Ok to hire a company to do an internal audit for you, but not Ok to pay somebody to vouch for you publicly.

Nevertheless, I think an approach like this might offer the option of gaining a significant lead without disclosing the sourcecode.

It all depends on how awesome Simcoin will be and nobody knows that, including me.

We just have to wait and see how badly people want the darn thing Smiley
June 04, 2014, 06:02:49 AM
So, thinking about the problem of closed or open source I think I may have found a possible way to get credibility while maintaining a closed source project.

It goes in the lines of peer review and won't be easy by any means.

One thing to do, is to let the crypto code core scrutinized by an expert. Preferrably a paid expert. Someone with a name could get paid to go through it and confirm that the implementation is working and doesn't have any security flaws.

Next is the downloadable client.
If the coin can get a certificate of at least one anti virus program company, like antivir or avira, the question of safety regarding the client should be solved.

Of course, there would still be the need to provide proof that the offered files are the right ones.

June 03, 2014, 06:36:36 PM
I suggest keeping things closed source till a significant lead is established

Question:
Can a significant lead be established with a closed source?

I would add a philosoraptor, but I have no idea how to make one with minimal effort.
legendary
Activity: 952
Merit: 1000
Stagnation is Death
June 03, 2014, 05:51:24 PM
I suggest keeping things closed source till a significant lead is established
Simcoin Developer
June 03, 2014, 03:33:41 PM
Do you have any plans that allow your coin to survive people copying your core features?

legendary
Activity: 1176
Merit: 1015
June 03, 2014, 02:59:12 PM
Besides, if my ideas are proven correct then soon every coin will be an instant coin and speed advantage will be lost.

Do you have any plans that allow your coin to survive people copying your core features?
Simcoin Developer
June 03, 2014, 02:00:11 PM
Simcoin Developer
June 02, 2014, 06:59:39 PM
Don´t take it as an offense.
I don´t want it diluted more, ofcourse. For me it´s enough when you tell me that things are going on well and there is development going on behind the courtains. Smiley

Sorry, there are days when people seem to suddenly congregate here with pitchforks Smiley
Activity: 784
Merit: 500
June 02, 2014, 06:55:37 PM
Are you sure that this is the way to interact with your investors?

You too?! What is it today, a solar storm?

Do you want your share diluted more? Then, sure, I can give all the progress reports you want...

Don´t take it as an offense.
I don´t want it diluted more, ofcourse. For me it´s enough when you tell me that things are going on well and there is development going on behind the courtains. Smiley
Pages:
Jump to: