Author

Topic: [ANN][SLR] SolarCoin | PoW to PoS v. 2.0 | Solar Proof of Generation (§1 = 1MWh) - page 179. (Read 466799 times)

Activity: 365
Merit: 250
Making things better with better things.
Is there a way to limit the number of active connections you have to the network? I'd like to see if there's any correlation between this and data?

For the record, I'm located in Australia, although I don't think the locale should have any impact on data rate.

Of course there is a correlation, I just explained it before. But for some reason my question just gets ignored. You need to find out what port Solarcoin uses. it's probalby because you are running a full node with over 8 connections Wink that means you are shring the blockchain with others Wink (also uploading)

I am in the opposite situation. I would like to open the port so that I can run a full node and share the blockchain with others. However it seems like no one can help me

Im lucky I have free internet and unlimited bandwidth Wink so if someone could help me open the correct port so that I can support the solarcoin network!

from http://wiki.solarcoin.org/index.php?title=SolarCoin_FAQ
SolarCoin will connect to other nodes, usually on TCP port 18181. You will need to allow outgoing TCP connections to port 18181 if you want to allow your SolarCoin client to connect to many nodes.

please note the wiki needs to be updated to reflect change to POST, but the port hasn't changed.
Activity: 185
Merit: 100
I am thinking delete roaming solarcoin folder then start from scratch but make sure you backup first! to a safe location.

run- appdata- roaming- solarcoin

I deleted everything (all SLR folders, files ect. apart from wallet.dat), uninstalled Solarcoin, manually stopped the process from task manager, restarted my machine, re-installed the new .exe and finally Im upgraded.
Thanks.
Activity: 445
Is there a way to limit the number of active connections you have to the network? I'd like to see if there's any correlation between this and data?

For the record, I'm located in Australia, although I don't think the locale should have any impact on data rate.

Of course there is a correlation, I just explained it before. But for some reason my question just gets ignored. You need to find out what port Solarcoin uses. it's probalby because you are running a full node with over 8 connections Wink that means you are shring the blockchain with others Wink (also uploading)

I am in the opposite situation. I would like to open the port so that I can run a full node and share the blockchain with others. However it seems like no one can help me

Im lucky I have free internet and unlimited bandwidth Wink so if someone could help me open the correct port so that I can support the solarcoin network!
Activity: 337
Merit: 258

legendary
Activity: 1708
Merit: 1000
Solarcoin.org
I've used 15 GB this month and I have 2 wallets running. That's 2.5 Gb per day and I have to account for web browsing and voice over IP also. I don't know, it's working well here in the states.
Hmm...
The solarcoin wallet has used 65gb of network bandwidth so far.
Although this may not be such a problem for people in the USA and UK, in smaller countries trying to run wallets this will be a much bigger issue.
In Cyprus for example most people have between 4 and 8mbs connections.

Is there any way we can look into making the wallet network friendlier?

I agree it is hard for solarcoin to scale to a lot of the world on that data rate.

WOW... Another 5gb of useage in just 1 hour!
What could possibly need so much bandwidth?
Luckily, I have the wallet connected to my business connection, if this was my house I wouldn't be able to do anything else.

Yeah sorry everyone, here in Australia we pay through the nose for more generous data caps, so I'm afraid both my wallets will be going offline for the time being. If that data usage doesn't come down they won't be going back online anytime soon either...

Thanks to any Europeans/Americans who are keeping the blockchain moving!! Cheesy

Looks like mine will be turned off as soon as I get home as well. I've used 24 GB at current count in the last three days for staking. My 100 GB monthly data quota will be gone in about 12 days at this rate.  Shocked
Activity: 21
Merit: 0
Hmm...
Although this may not be such a problem for people in the USA and UK, in smaller countries trying to run wallets this will be a much bigger issue.

I agree it is hard for solarcoin to scale to a lot of the world on that data rate.

Luckily, I have the wallet connected to my business connection, if this was my house I wouldn't be able to do anything else.

Yeah sorry everyone, here in Australia we pay through the nose for more generous data caps, so I'm afraid both my wallets will be going offline for the time being. If that data usage doesn't come down they won't be going back online anytime soon either...

Thanks to any Europeans/Americans who are keeping the blockchain moving!! Cheesy
Activity: 300
Hmm...

Activity: 224
Merit: 150
solcrypto.com
Hmm...

Hmm...

legendary
Activity: 1736
Merit: 1001
i have 7 connections now.  Undecided
Activity: 21
Merit: 0
I seem to be having similar issues... have gone through 1.4GB of data over the past ~12 hours, so I'm shutting my wallet down for now in an attempt to not go over my bandwidth cap for the second time this month... Sad
Activity: 74
Merit: 10
I must be one of the fortunate ones, I've had no orphaned/conflicted interest payments...yet...probably just jinxed myself.  Grin

Did find a strange problem last night though, when staking my wallet causes conflict with my VoIP service. I can still make calls but the quality of the call makes it unusable. Closing the wallet solves the problem. Has anyone else had issues using VoIP while their wallet is staking? Is there a way to pause staking without disabling it totally or closing your wallet?

If you have one router connecting you to your ISP, and you have access to the router administration, you can look around to set up QoS (quality of service), if available. Just give VoIP higher priority, or unlimited bandwidth (meanwhile limiting the rest or the wallet's ports in particular), or whatever other settings there might be to prioritize traffic.

Thanks y_virtual. I currently have QoS disabled on my router as I have not required it to date.

I am concerned with the amount of data I'm seeing flying around and would like to find out what expected data usage should be seeing for a PC running only a single wallet? To give you an indication of what I'm currently seeing, between midnight and now (just under 10 hours) my wallet has exchanged just over 4 GB worth of data, approximately 2 GB up and 2 GB down. Yesterday I clocked a total of over 12 GB data usage. This seems excessive to me.

For the record, my wallet is also showing 30 connections to the SolarCoin network.

Any one have any thoughts on this?

Thanks for the heads up on this one.  Just checked the stats on my wallet running on a high end laptop (the only task):

Average Upload : 584kbps
Average Download : 2.2Mbps
Instantaneous CPU  Use  : 21%

This is just out of order.  The CPU use my laptop can handle - although it costs money to use so many MIPs - however it may be intermittent.

The data use though is totally off.  What in god's name is it doing downloading continuously at  2.2 Mbps (mega bits / second), that's a lot of data - 280+ Kilobytes/sec - what is going on?Huh?

No wonder my internet has been scruffy for the past week ...

I am not looking forward to my data bill.  The few SLR I have earned in interest will need to be worth $10 each to pay for the data alone - don't even mention the Watts Sad

T

I must be one of the fortunate ones, I've had no orphaned/conflicted interest payments...yet...probably just jinxed myself.  Grin

Did find a strange problem last night though, when staking my wallet causes conflict with my VoIP service. I can still make calls but the quality of the call makes it unusable. Closing the wallet solves the problem. Has anyone else had issues using VoIP while their wallet is staking? Is there a way to pause staking without disabling it totally or closing your wallet?

If you have one router connecting you to your ISP, and you have access to the router administration, you can look around to set up QoS (quality of service), if available. Just give VoIP higher priority, or unlimited bandwidth (meanwhile limiting the rest or the wallet's ports in particular), or whatever other settings there might be to prioritize traffic.

Thanks y_virtual. I currently have QoS disabled on my router as I have not required it to date.

I am concerned with the amount of data I'm seeing flying around and would like to find out what expected data usage should be seeing for a PC running only a single wallet? To give you an indication of what I'm currently seeing, between midnight and now (just under 10 hours) my wallet has exchanged just over 4 GB worth of data, approximately 2 GB up and 2 GB down. Yesterday I clocked a total of over 12 GB data usage. This seems excessive to me.

For the record, my wallet is also showing 30 connections to the SolarCoin network.

Any one have any thoughts on this?
Hmmm...
I seemed to have strayed onto the wrong blockchain, reloading bootstrap
Activity: 365
Making things better with better things.
SolarCoin 2.0.7 and POST FAQ document.

I would like to thank the community for all of the great discussion and probing and prodding on the new release and of course Steve for doing so much to get us where we are.

To make things easy for new participants, we are working on a google doc FAQ for the 2.0.7 wallet and POST.  these can then be embedded up on the main site once filled out.

The goal is to get the basics down. Ideally we make simple graphics and diagrams to show and tell the story after the outline and FAQ's and use cases are settled and resolved.

Here is the template.
it uses the basic style sheets in google docs.
https://docs.google.com/document/d/1tEhESVRDiJSEjCKhi60zgtq0nhCCYQpCiGWwQheXVlY/edit?usp=sharing

Here is a prior doc on POST some things have changed. feel free to update.

https://docs.google.com/document/d/1MXOtUcl8SGKUdhIHZjnU9MEiTlAA0LTqdjv-qidvd9Q/edit?usp=sharing
Activity: 445
My mothers solarcoin wallet connects to 28 nodes but i have 11 nodes connected to does this matter? TIA

I think if you have more than 8 connections you are running a full node so it looks like you're good. I can't get over 8. I have asked if anyone knows what port needs to be forwarded for Solarcoin in order to get a full node running but no one has given me an answer yet... It looks like your router is automatically forwarding the port , or the port is already open .
legendary
My mothers solarcoin wallet connects to 28 nodes but i have 11 nodes connected to does this matter? TIA
legendary
I am thinking delete roaming solarcoin folder then start from scratch but make sure you backup first! to a safe location.

run- appdata- roaming- solarcoin
Activity: 185
Merit: 100
Hi, my Solarcoin wallet is broken, I cant upgrade, and it appears I cant uninstall version 2.0.1.

When I install 2.0.7. the wallet still reports as 2.0.1, however in my uninstall programs its listed as 2.0.7.

The in-wallet update feature cannot close the applications it needs to, so that upgrade path fails as well.

Can I get some help?
Jump to: