Pages:
Author

Topic: [ANN][XCN] Cryptonite | 1st mini-blockchain coin | M7 PoW | No Premine - page 85. (Read 578501 times)

legendary
Activity: 1536
Merit: 1000
electronic [r]evolution
We cannot change the currency code after we've already been listed on several exchanges. And if we did change the name, we'd also need the domain to go along with it. I don't think people really appreciate how hard it is to find a name which is still available.
Activity: 520
Merit: 253
Have you thought about rebranding the coin? The name really makes me cringe, and I could hardly bear myself to recommend it to anyone serious about this.
It's sad something like this would lower public interrest in the coin.
For every possible name, there's always a person who finds it offensive, or another language where it means something nasty. You can't appease to everyone with any single name. A good product will eventually win despite a sub-optimal name, unless it's something obviously negative like "shitcoin". (Or maybe "shitcoin" would win just because it's so daring, and because "it's the shit". If you ever release "shitcoin", don't forget to reward me with a 1% premine Cheesy)

To me, the problem with "Cryptonite" is the confusion with Cryptonote coins, most of which use the Cryptonight PoW algo. It doesn't help that the reward scheme is copied from Cryptonote, and that yet another hash function had to be created.

It's the mini-blockchain tech that really counts here. It doesn't need fancy names or hashes to succeed. If XCN doesn't make it to the moon, I hope some other coin will pick up the mini-blockchain.

IMHO, the name "Cryptonite" itself is fine, there's no point in changing it any more.
legendary
Activity: 930
Merit: 1010
Actually some of the most successful coins have changed their names.  XMR, XC, DRK come to mind.  Mini block coin (MBC or XMB) is the obvious, kitsch-free, technically pure, name.

Also "cryptonite"  implies association with the technology of cryptonote (the hash algorithm of which is typically cryptonight).

XMB sounds great to me.
legendary
Activity: 1596
Merit: 1030
Sine secretum non libertas
Actually some of the most successful coins have changed their names.  XMR, XC, DRK come to mind.  Mini block coin (MBC or XMB) is the obvious, kitsch-free, technically pure, name.

Also "cryptonite"  misleadingly implies association with the technology of cryptonote protocol coins, the hash algorithm of which is typically cryptonight.

legendary
electronic [r]evolution
To me, it sounds like a joke. "Hey kids, wanna buy some... cryptonite?". It's a wordplay from Superman, right?
Well I fail to see how it sounds like a joke, it's just your perspective of the name I think. Your sentence actually sounds more like a child terrorist plot to kill superman, very serious stuff.
legendary
Have you thought about rebranding the coin? The name really makes me cringe, and I could hardly bear myself to recommend it to anyone serious about this.
No it would be a terrible move to rebrand the coin just a few weeks after launch. I'm not sure why the name makes you cringe, we went through a very long process before deciding on that name, and I think the green and black theme is very aesthetically pleasing. Even if I did come up with a better name it wouldn't be a good idea to change the name now, we already have a name and we need to stick to it. Flip flopping on the name will only lead to more confusion and I don't think it's a smart marketing move at all.

To me, it sounds like a joke. "Hey kids, wanna buy some... cryptonite?". It's a wordplay from Superman, right?

Darkcoin changed its name from XCoin, and I don't think that hurt it at all, and that was while it had greater adoption than XCN has now. It's not too late to "get serious".
legendary
electronic [r]evolution
No it would be a terrible move to rebrand the coin just a few weeks after launch. I'm not sure why the name makes you cringe, we went through a very long process before deciding on that name, and I think the green and black theme is very aesthetically pleasing. Even if I did come up with a better name it wouldn't be a good idea to change the name now, we already have a name and we need to stick to it. Flip flopping on the name will only lead to more confusion and I don't think it's a smart marketing move at all.
legendary
legendary
electronic [r]evolution
I have introduced your coin to james @ btcd (jl777) and he has shown some interest in cryptonite. bitfreak could have a bit of a read up over at btcd and see if yous can work something out in the way of being part of the anom system.

Linky: https://bitcointalksearch.org/topic/m.8580794

Together btcd and cryptonite combined is unstoppable! Solving all the problems bitcoin faced. James has staded that cryptonite could handle many more teleports, due to its tiny blockchain
The telepod idea does seem very interesting, especially if the anonymity scheme it uses is better than coin mixing and ring sigs. I had a brief look at the way it works and it is pretty hard to understand, the white paper could use some diagrams. But I would be interested in seeing how compatible it is with the mini-blockchain scheme, keeping in mind that the mini-blockchain scheme does not use scripts at all and BTCD apparently has full turing complete scripting.

EDIT: ok well I think I understand it a bit better now, but I can't really understand why this isn't just a long winded way of making a normal tx. It seems to ensure that a new address will always be made for receiving payments, which is great for anonymity, but generating new addresses for receiving payments isn't exactly difficult to do without an elaborate system like this. Maybe I'm still not fully grasping the concept.

EDIT: also worth noting is that we actually discourage the use of sending coins to addresses which haven't been seen by the network before, because it increases the size of the account tree. To help prevent dust from bloating up the account tree we don't allow the output value to be lower than the tx fee if the receiving address doesn't exist in the account tree.
Activity: 238
Merit: 100
and mintpal, everyone troll moolah/slex, we need this baby on his exchange
Activity: 406
Merit: 250
2% Withdrawal fee on Bter Shocked
Feels like I'm getting robbed...

What's the deal with this whole "bter code redeem" thing? I don't get the point.

Lets all tweet @bittrexexchange and get this baby added to bittrex
Good idea, seems like a great exchange!
Activity: 294

What's the deal with this whole "bter code redeem" thing? I don't get the point.

Lets all tweet @bittrexexchange and get this baby added to bittrex
Activity: 406

Activity: 840
Oikos.cash | Decentralized Finance on Tron
We don't have a MAC client?

Hope we mac users are not neglected.
Activity: 238
XCN is a far better vehicle for the jl777 transport layer than is blackcoin (the current BTCD codebase) in terms of protocol implementation.  It's a no-brainer.  But he seems to be avoiding PoW, so I suspect it would involve fairly significant changes.

i agree, the scary part is that theres barely 1btc in sells stopping XCN from doubling and about 3btc stopping this from tripling. cryptonite is a monster, and with jl777 interested, its a monster waiting to erupt. 31k market cap? muahha
legendary
XCN is a far better vehicle for the jl777 transport layer than is blackcoin (the current BTCD codebase) in terms of protocol implementation.  It's a no-brainer.  But he seems to be avoiding PoW, so I suspect it would involve fairly significant changes.
legendary
Activity: 1154
Merit: 1001
running the current win64_cryptonite-qt, trying a fresh sync, i get up to 7 days behind, then
Not enough 0000000000000000000000000000000000000000 0 0
infinitely repeats and no further progress occurs.

any suggestions or insights, or am i stuck until i debug this?

I ran into the same problem yesterday, and repeated the whole process (fresh/cleared appdata folder each time) a couple of times. At the 3rd attempt my qt effectively sync'ed past that dreaded '7 days behind' point. It seems to be related to which peers you're connecting to, but I don't really know what or why.

I'll edit this post to get you my peers list in a bit.
~ Myagui

Peers:
Code:
"addr" : "66.45.239.67:8253",
"addr" : "202.114.196.97:57829",
"addr" : "123.163.132.246:8253",
"addr" : "83.248.223.155:8253",
"addr" : "187.64.58.91:8253",
"addr" : "77.58.253.73:8253",
"addr" : "38.93.234.100:8253",
"addr" : "192.99.32.136:8253",
"addr" : "24.199.191.78:8253",
"addr" : "54.88.70.49:53407",
"addr" : "46.238.44.222:2300",
"addr" : "78.104.33.30:60913",
"addr" : "77.110.147.68:26360",
"addr" : "213.87.141.192:28694",
legendary
running the current win64_cryptonite-qt, trying a fresh sync, i get up to 7 days behind, then
infinitely repeats and no further progress occurs.

any suggestions or insights, or am i stuck until i debug this?
Activity: 294
Havent filled your buy orders yet have you mate? Did you realize the most innovative coin in crypto has a 33k market cap. We wont see this price again.

And why wouldnt the dev want to take part? Combine bitcoindark with cryptonite and we are unstoppable.

As soon as someone says something that is not along with exactly what you want they are trying to push the prices down right?
I only repeat what James said. He just found the coin today and you think he's already writing code to implement. Can we please be serious and not live in imaginary land?

Edit: oh, I see now that you are in dozens of threads trying to pump various coins. You are not interested in reality.

Now your putting my words out of context. When did I say hea frantically writing code? Why be a downer, support your coins with confidence... whats wrong with that? I think its a positive thing that james mentioned the coin and thinks it has potential
legendary
Havent filled your buy orders yet have you mate? Did you realize the most innovative coin in crypto has a 33k market cap. We wont see this price again.

And why wouldnt the dev want to take part? Combine bitcoindark with cryptonite and we are unstoppable.

As soon as someone says something that is not along with exactly what you want they are trying to push the prices down right?
I only repeat what James said. He just found the coin today and you think he's already writing code to implement. Can we please be serious and not live in imaginary land?

Edit: oh, I see now that you are in dozens of threads trying to pump various coins. You are not interested in reality.
Pages:
Jump to: