Author

Topic: [ANN][YAC] YACoin ongoing development - page 125. (Read 379983 times)

Activity: 756
Merit: 501
September 06, 2013, 05:49:01 PM
No good lord no. How is that stupid 'Yak' imagery not killed off yet? The value of fiat is based off of perception, and a funny-looking animal as the symbol is great to sway the perception of an outsider? The issue has already been addressed earlier in this thread... here are the logos to use, but I obviously like the one in my profile... http://imgur.com/NyRv4oc,NrPE30u,tHZ59ga,7BGBnGI,WzSU1Mc,ny0zcw3,tH5L9QA,tf0HQqq,BeYDNvK,MLL536l,1wlxCzx#8
Don't you see the Yak in your preferred logo?  Wink
Activity: 693
Merit: 500
September 06, 2013, 04:06:29 PM
TAA-DAAAAA!
Happy 200,000 blocks to everyone and thanks to all who helped YACoin reach it's current state!

And look, it's a POS block to boot - how cute!  Anyone want to step forward and say it was theirs?
Activity: 809
September 06, 2013, 02:41:45 PM
No good lord no. How is that stupid 'Yak' imagery not killed off yet? The value of fiat is based off of perception, and a funny-looking animal as the symbol is great to sway the perception of an outsider? The issue has already been addressed earlier in this thread... here are the logos to use, but I obviously like the one in my profile... http://imgur.com/NyRv4oc,NrPE30u,tHZ59ga,7BGBnGI,WzSU1Mc,ny0zcw3,tH5L9QA,tf0HQqq,BeYDNvK,MLL536l,1wlxCzx#8
Activity: 288
Merit: 260
September 06, 2013, 12:12:23 PM
Congrats!
I hope we'll see 1 million block number!

LONG LIVE YAC!

Activity: 274
Merit: 250
September 04, 2013, 10:20:20 AM
If no one object, I'll make a voting thread for logo final showdown with these four:

I'm using a bit of judgement to keep the final round of logo choice to these 4 because I don't want the votes to be spread too thin.

If no one submit an "upgraded" version of these designs, I intend to make a voting thread on Friday with these logos as they are.

If you want to defer the vote, please post here or PM me before Friday.
Activity: 756
September 04, 2013, 07:51:31 AM
I guess this bug is in Yacoin (and all other altcoins using the bitcoin 0.8 codebase) too?
https://bitcointalksearch.org/topic/bitcoin-qt-bitcoind-version-084-released-fixes-critical-dos-vulnerability-287351
Activity: 115
Merit: 10
September 03, 2013, 10:25:45 PM
If no one object, I'll make a voting thread for logo final showdown with these four:

I'm using a bit of judgement to keep the final round of logo choice to these 4 because I don't want the votes to be spread too thin.

3D effect from C or D applied to A or B would probably look badass.

Like this?

I'm not sure I've made it look better than the simple version. Cheesy You may need someone more skillful.

I like YAK Logo more, but this one is at least not boring like all the other ones. IMHO YAC should be different to all these 08/15 Junkcoins to be recognised and accepted by more people. Apple had a long time the slogan "Think different" and over time it helped a lot to be different than the mainstream to become mainsteam  Wink

+ I like the idea of putting it to a vote, the A and B should be more 3D. Personally I like C, I think it looks great. Remember I voted for the old Ox logo but I really like C, it has grown on my very quickly.
September 03, 2013, 10:19:17 PM
Good point. A hard limit should be set somewhere not in the Billion range though...

Difficulty scales supply to demand. You have to make a case for difficulty being too low for the near future demand (which doesn't seem the case IMHO), and in that case for the need of capping supply instead of just raising difficulty.

If demand raises healthily then two billion is fine. It's like one million wallets with 2,000 coins on average. Remember the final aim is to maximize demand, not to maximize the value per coin (it's not the same).

I so agree with this, there should not be a hard cap at all, it should be allowed to float. one million wallets is a small amount of wallets, if the YACoin takes off, like we all want it to. Most of the other coins or I should say, many of the other coins are very restrictive and limited in their minting, and that will be a serious problem in the coming future. As more people come to cryptocurrency the need for more coin will absolutely balloon. There is a psychological effect that takes place when someone trades a dollar and gets .00001 coin of anything. That is beginning to take effect with Bitcoin and will only get worse, at least that has been the case and the first comment made by non-tech friends that I talk to about Bitcoin or set them up with a Bitcoin wallet.

+1 Thank you for this great insight.  The idea that supply of a 'coin' shouldn't matter at all as it can be infinitely divisible--just move over decimal places and change the prefix.  However, it does matter as we are dealing with fiat where value is derived from perception, and the psychological impact of trading 1 dollar for 0.00001 of something is just as you said.  I believe we are witnessing this effect in the converse with infinitecoin? 

With that said, I am concerned with the massive drops in difficulty at N-changes.  People have complained about this coin basically being a GPU premine than CPU, but it seems to be the opposite.  The people who starting mining earlier had to do so at a much higher difficulty, and if the price per coin remained the same, it becomes more instantaneously profitable after difficulty drops with N-Change.  Am I way off?

+ Hi Beave, yes I do think you are correct that we are seeing the effects with infinitecoin, and I'm afraid that it just might get worse as time goes on. Regarding the N-Change, I have to study that. What effect could mining difficult have if the difficulty drops? Anyone have any ideas as to the possible affect? Would it cause people to flock to the coin, and cause people to start investing on in the coin? I'm not sure what the effects in the long term will be.
Activity: 802
Merit: 1003
GCVMMWH
September 03, 2013, 06:46:09 PM

Like this?

I'm not sure I've made it look better than the simple version. Cheesy You may need someone more skillful.

If Mjbmonetarymetals would be into doing something with A (same colours as C) (someone with more BTC's than me should donate to him for that) that might be a possibility.

Activity: 434
September 03, 2013, 12:53:46 PM
i vote C
Activity: 140
Merit: 100
In POS we trust
September 03, 2013, 12:24:27 PM

Like this?

I like YAK Logo more, but this one is at least not boring like all the other ones. IMHO YAC should be different to all these 08/15 Junkcoins to be recognised and accepted by more people. Apple had a long time the slogan "Think different" and over time it helped a lot to be different than the mainstream to become mainsteam  Wink
September 03, 2013, 09:23:47 AM

Like this?

September 03, 2013, 02:01:30 AM
YaCoin supported by coinpayments.net.  Must say, I'm happy the YaCoin community is strong and only getting stronger.

https://bitcointalk.org/index.php?topic=276455.60;topicseen
September 02, 2013, 10:15:05 PM

GCVMMWH
September 02, 2013, 07:57:16 PM
Again, thanks to St. Bit. If anyone else wants to sell >= 40,000 YAC's to me, please let me know.
GCVMMWH
September 02, 2013, 06:05:14 PM
I also strongly agree that there should not be any hard forks at this time. Although PoS minting is what has attracted me to YACoins I would not like to see any major changes.

There will not be any hard forks to YACoin unless absolutely necessary from a security standpoint. There are a lot of enhancements that can and will be made that do not require a hard fork.
Activity: 280
September 02, 2013, 01:21:45 PM
I'm getting a bit worried about the startup time of the Yacoin client. Is it a result of blockchain generated at higher N takes more time to verify? The QT client verifies the hashes of the blockchain every time it starts?

Everyday, there should be about 1.4k blocks generated. Normal CPU may soon need around 10 seconds to verify the hashes of 1.4k blocks? A year's blocks may take an hour to verify just counting CPU time. Is the development of a lightweight client quickly becoming a necessity?

Well dependes what you consider lightweight...

Since PoS is a security feature it would be a bad idea to use a lightweight client to PoS, but the current yacoin-qt will always be too slow to compete will light clients. My idea is that we include a liteclient additionally into yacoin-qt and use it when the blockchain isn't ready yet. It doesn't matter that it might take gb of HDD, but waiting a day to send the first txt isn't acceptable.

I'd like yacoin-qt to be the first original client that is actually useable. Even for bitcoin you have to use someting like Armory to use it properly.
September 02, 2013, 12:53:10 PM
Good point. A hard limit should be set somewhere not in the Billion range though...

Difficulty scales supply to demand. You have to make a case for difficulty being too low for the near future demand (which doesn't seem the case IMHO), and in that case for the need of capping supply instead of just raising difficulty.

If demand raises healthily then two billion is fine. It's like one million wallets with 2,000 coins on average. Remember the final aim is to maximize demand, not to maximize the value per coin (it's not the same).

I so agree with this, there should not be a hard cap at all, it should be allowed to float. one million wallets is a small amount of wallets, if the YACoin takes off, like we all want it to. Most of the other coins or I should say, many of the other coins are very restrictive and limited in their minting, and that will be a serious problem in the coming future. As more people come to cryptocurrency the need for more coin will absolutely balloon. There is a psychological effect that takes place when someone trades a dollar and gets .00001 coin of anything. That is beginning to take effect with Bitcoin and will only get worse, at least that has been the case and the first comment made by non-tech friends that I talk to about Bitcoin or set them up with a Bitcoin wallet.

+1 Thank you for this great insight.  The idea that supply of a 'coin' shouldn't matter at all as it can be infinitely divisible--just move over decimal places and change the prefix.  However, it does matter as we are dealing with fiat where value is derived from perception, and the psychological impact of trading 1 dollar for 0.00001 of something is just as you said.  I believe we are witnessing this effect in the converse with infinitecoin? 

With that said, I am concerned with the massive drops in difficulty at N-changes.  People have complained about this coin basically being a GPU premine than CPU, but it seems to be the opposite.  The people who starting mining earlier had to do so at a much higher difficulty, and if the price per coin remained the same, it becomes more instantaneously profitable after difficulty drops with N-Change.  Am I way off?
Activity: 280
September 02, 2013, 11:51:02 AM
We should really move up the PoS minting rate up to 20-45% ...
I'm strongly against making any hardfork-requring changes to the YAC protocol. Just my two YaCents.

I also strongly agree that there should not be any hard forks at this time. Although PoS minting is what has attracted me to YACoins I would not like to see any major changes.

It's not a good time to make any hardforks at the moment.

I think the current PoS reward is in a good order of magnitude and shouldn't be bigger at all. We could rather add an additional reward for longterm holdings and I also have a lot of (good?) ideas to hardfork but it's not the right time to think or discuss such extreme changes now.
September 02, 2013, 11:35:26 AM
We should really move up the PoS minting rate up to 20-45% to encourage long term holding of a coin, with a steady decline each year say 5-10% minting decrease or proportional to speed of network. Annual set decrease is good and simple enough i think.

This way even non miners will be holding this coin and helping us increase supply and circulation, while attracting more investors to either buy the coin or mine and hold it.

Implementing this strategy will surely allow this coin to survive for a few years which in this market could be do or die for most alts.

Think about it, as the adaptation grows and more and more ppl choose to hold due to potential ROI of PoW + PoS mint, the price will stabilize and as PoS slowly start to decrease over next few years, coins will start to circulate more with out massive dumps and produce a very good alternative coin to ltc.

I think this strategy could really help make this "an average man coin" since you will have ability to mine with cpu, if you cant buy and then hold and really build up holdings with out massive rigs, while mining with what you can and help the network. "Big" guys will be attracted to come in and buy up coin with renewed interest or mine it on larger scale as they see "an average man" making good ROI, which in turn will make average in to big.

My two Yacs Smiley
I'm strongly against making any hardfork-requring changes to the YAC protocol. Just my two YaCents.

Jump to: