Author

Topic: ANTMINER S2 Discussion and Support Thread - page 130. (Read 355730 times)

ZiG
Activity: 406
Merit: 250
Bitmain just issued my coupon for a B2 unit - Ive never had issues with thier coupons (other than the seemingly random values and distribution frequency as they sometimes are not rewarded for weeks after a purchase, and othertimes only a day or two after - either way a coupon is a coupon!)

My only beef with Bitmain's coupons is that they expire too quickly (usually within a 3-4 weeks).  Sometimes I just want to sit on the coupons for a bit longer, but can't.

I agree, but think its totally fair that they expire. Imagine using a 0.085BTC coupon at the current price - the sale would be nearly unprofitable for Bitmain at 0.55
You think these things (S1) are expensive to make? ...

Not in China... Grin
legendary
Activity: 1652
Merit: 1067
Christian Antkow
Yay for Batch 3 becoming available. Boo for pricing not being competitive with A1 options out there Sad Guess it's more A1's for me for the next little while...
Activity: 95
Merit: 0
Computers have parts worth money, even a 4-5 year old amd or intel cpu.  and Motherboard and ram.  Asic machines will be paperweights.

At least good for something.   Undecided

What is intriguing to me is that negative outlooks and feelings of despair among miners, historically, have signaled a renewed upward trend in the price.  Of course, history need not repeat itself.  Just saying...
legendary
Activity: 2968
Merit: 1198
Computers have parts worth money, even a 4-5 year old amd or intel cpu.  and Motherboard and ram.  Asic machines will be paperweights.

They're only worth a small fraction of the new value at that point, so this is a small difference.

Activity: 882
Merit: 1003
Any jump over 2-3% is bad.

Imagine buying a machine for $100.  With a theoretical 15% increase every jump.  In the first 10 days the machine makes you $10, then days 10-20 it makes only $8.40, then days 20-30 it makes $6.70.  So the first 30 days it has made you $25.10.  Based on my experience the first month a miner will make 70% of its lifetime ROI if the btc price stays steady.

If the jumps fall to 2-3% or even lower (which will happen at some point, probably sooner than most assume) then miners will return a lot less than 70% of their lifetime output in the first month. Eventually they will be more like regular computers with a ~3 year industrial lifespan.

legendary
Activity: 2968
Merit: 1198

Imagine buying a machine for $100.  With a theoretical 15% increase every jump.  In the first 10 days the machine makes you $10, then days 10-20 it makes only $8.40, then days 20-30 it makes $6.70.  So the first 30 days it has made you $25.10.  Based on my experience the first month a miner will make 70% of its lifetime ROI if the btc price stays steady.

If the jumps fall to 2-3% or even lower (which will happen at some point, probably sooner than most assume) then miners will return a lot less than 70% of their lifetime output in the first month. Eventually they will be more like regular computers with a ~3 year industrial lifespan.
Activity: 882
Merit: 1003

25% out of the biggest difficulty yet is something Smiley From what i see on BitcoinWisdom it seems that we haven't reached or passed over 60k TH/s so the next difficulty jump after this one might be a very small one. Time will tell.

you right if you compare biggest jumps. but history shows that 20% in real life is not that bad as later jumps are always smaller than predicted.

That's because the predictions are flawed.

As of now I'm showing 12.7% increase on 4/30.  Average block time this difficult is 8.88 minutes.

M

Mining equipment prices need to drop drastically, or the price of btc must rise exponentially, unlikely.  This leads to a negative standard deviation for mining right now.
So they came out and said they were issuing coupons tomorrow and ya'll are buying them today?  WUuuuuuuuut

new Coupons for S1s are for recent S1 purchases. My February 2014 last purchases do not apply hence my purchase now. Waiting for new S1 coupons does not guarantee availability of S1's so it's a gamble. Good luck to you if you can get a S1 for < less than .5 BTC after coupons.
ZiG
So they came out and said they were issuing coupons tomorrow and ya'll are buying them today?  WUuuuuuuuut

They already issued an S2 coupon to me.  Are you referring to S1 or S2 coupons?

S1, of course ....

So they came out and said they were issuing coupons tomorrow and ya'll are buying them today?  WUuuuuuuuut

They already issued an S2 coupon to me.  Are you referring to S1 or S2 coupons?
As of now I'm showing 12.7% increase on 4/30.  Average block time this difficult is 8.88 minutes.

M

I hope so.
Activity: 280
legendary
Activity: 4592
Merit: 1851
Linux since 1997 RedHat 4
Bitmain just issued my coupon for a B2 unit - Ive never had issues with thier coupons (other than the seemingly random values and distribution frequency as they sometimes are not rewarded for weeks after a purchase, and othertimes only a day or two after - either way a coupon is a coupon!)

My only beef with Bitmain's coupons is that they expire too quickly (usually within a 3-4 weeks).  Sometimes I just want to sit on the coupons for a bit longer, but can't.

I agree, but think its totally fair that they expire. Imagine using a 0.085BTC coupon at the current price - the sale would be nearly unprofitable for Bitmain at 0.55
You think these things (S1) are expensive to make? ...
legendary
Activity: 1540
Merit: 1001

25% out of the biggest difficulty yet is something Smiley From what i see on BitcoinWisdom it seems that we haven't reached or passed over 60k TH/s so the next difficulty jump after this one might be a very small one. Time will tell.

you right if you compare biggest jumps. but history shows that 20% in real life is not that bad as later jumps are always smaller than predicted.

That's because the predictions are flawed.

M
Activity: 308
Double your Personal Bitcoin Funds.
This SP10 Dawson unit is interesting. Fans only in the back? No push/pull config?
I have to say the S2 is working normally without issues aside from it being down a bit when it started mining, but apart from that, been running okay since...

Selling my miners here https://bitcointalksearch.org/topic/fs-3-antminer-s1s-batch2-antminer-s2-154ths-price-change-583142

Same here.  After a bit of a rough start (boards not slotted, browser interface still not working, and a mis-sized power cord), my S2 has been hashing away without issues.
Activity: 126
Merit: 100
I have to say the S2 is working normally without issues aside from it being down a bit when it started mining, but apart from that, been running okay since...

Selling my miners here https://bitcointalksearch.org/topic/fs-3-antminer-s1s-batch2-antminer-s2-154ths-price-change-583142
legendary
Activity: 2128
Merit: 1005
ASIC Wannabe

My only beef with Bitmain's coupons is that they expire too quickly (usually within a 3-4 weeks).  Sometimes I just want to sit on the coupons for a bit longer, but can't.

Activity: 69
Merit: 10
0.63 BTC is fair for the S1
4.5 BTC would be fair for the S2

I agree, that right now .63 BTC is fair for the S1, and just bought a few more.

I just bought 4 more. Nothing can beat $1.65/GHs that I know of. At least nothing shipping.
Power is cheap in NJ, and I can always underclock to extend the S1 usable life.

My only beef with Bitmain's coupons is that they expire too quickly (usually within a 3-4 weeks).  Sometimes I just want to sit on the coupons for a bit longer, but can't.
Jump to: