Author

Topic: ANTMINER S2 Discussion and Support Thread - page 132. (Read 355730 times)

Activity: 728
Merit: 500
http://btcinvest.net/en/bitcoin-mining-profit-calculator.php?diff=6978842650&dcosts=3600&diff_mincrease=15&blpbtc=25&dhsmhs=1000000&diff_mincreasedecrease=0.1&btcusd=492.75&dpowcon=1000&btcusd_mincrease=0&pcost=0.2&calcweeks=15&dleadtime=1&action=calc

mine + sell (weekly payout)         4.97 ฿         1640.42 $
mine + hold (final payout)         4.97 ฿         1640.42 $
฿ buy-in only (and hold)         7.31 ฿         3600 $

s2 will mine about 5 bitcoins till Q3/Q4
not worth to buy at this crazy price (especially with VAT and customs fee and lead time about 10 days...)

I could not disagree in anything of the above!

A viable miner, at ths time,  would only be with $2/ghs and bellow AND consumption less than 1w/ghs.

Anything else is for hobbying.
cryptoshark
http://btcinvest.net/en/bitcoin-mining-profit-calculator.php?diff=6978842650&dcosts=3600&diff_mincrease=15&blpbtc=25&dhsmhs=1000000&diff_mincreasedecrease=0.1&btcusd=492.75&dpowcon=1000&btcusd_mincrease=0&pcost=0.2&calcweeks=15&dleadtime=1&action=calc

mine + sell (weekly payout)         4.97 ฿         1640.42 $
mine + hold (final payout)         4.97 ฿         1640.42 $
฿ buy-in only (and hold)         7.31 ฿         3600 $

s2 will mine about 5 bitcoins till Q3/Q4
not worth to buy at this crazy price (especially with VAT and customs fee and lead time about 10 days...)

Activity: 616
I got Satoshi's avatar!
Batch 3 has gone down in USD, but has gone up in btc. If batch 1 and batch 2 were overpriced, then you have no chance of making 6.6btc back with batch 3.

At current prices, the best thing is to buy btc now and hold and then buy miners with those btc at a later date, when the exchange rate has gone up.

Edit: remember, there will probably be another difficulty jump before b3 arrives
Is BTC6.5 bad investment for batch 3?

I would sell all and buy 10 bit tech A1 clones for 4.4btc each.

S1 and S2 are dead by now. Impossible to ROI.

its also impossible to buy A1 clones if they are out of stock, no?

They said will be next week available.

Cmon, be serious, we have been preordering S2, we also lost coupons from the "supposed" soldout of S1.
Dont make like S1 , and S2, were always available!

I have 7 clones in my hands and will buy more next week.

A1 is 0.0044btc/G assuming it runs full 1T, u can see from that thread that it's only 90%+ of 1T.

S1 is 0.831 per 180Ghs or 0.0046btc/G, that's b4 overclock. Not to mention it's historical track record.

I'll take S1 anytime over A1 clone. Grin

All versions of my A1 are 950gh/s +++

Also you miss the most important factor....CONSUMPTION!

Activity: 211
Merit: 100

A1 is 0.0044btc/G assuming it runs full 1T, u can see from that thread that it's only 90%+ of 1T.

S1 is 0.831 per 180Ghs or 0.0046btc/G, that's b4 overclock. Not to mention it's historical track record.

I'll take S1 anytime over A1 clone. Grin

Activity: 31
Merit: 0
for those having power supply problems - I am interested what your room temp is at.  if i understand correctly higher temps = lower efficiency so you cannot expect the power supply to perform the same at 60 degrees F (15.5 Celsius) vs 80 degrees F (26.5 Celsius).  this also would make a difference as to where it is pulling air from (inside the case B2's vs outside the case B2's).  i for one replaced mine about 2 hrs after receiving it due to the fact that i wanted to overclock it (if possible).  but i did not have any problems with my unit using the stock PS with the room temp at 60 degrees F or below.

short term a cool room the psu will work.  long term it is under sized.  

be smart pull a blade all worries vanish. this may be the best solution for almost all owners of the gear.

another fairly cheap solution is to replace the power supply with something beefier.  my personal recommendation (and what I did for myself) is to spend around $150 and purchase 2x of these 750w kits - http://www.gekkoscience.com/products/server_supply_breakout_board.html - and run them with power sharing pins and you have more than enough for the S2 (unless we figure how to overclock past 250mhz) and enough for 3 overclocked S1's.  and if you have one of these power supplies go bad you can replace it for a cheap $25 from ebay.  i keep an extra few on hand for myself anyway for rapid deployment for myself and customers.  if you want more info on the maker of these you can read this thread - https://bitcointalksearch.org/topic/server-power-supply-interface-board-for-standalone-miners-and-gpu-rigs-379677

DISCLAIMER: I am in no way affiliated or compensated by sidehack for this recommendation.  he has a decent product and i feel he should make money for his work and research.

EDIT:  here's pictures of my setup
https://dl.dropboxusercontent.com/u/23772269/2x%20power%20supplies%20in%20tandem.jpg
https://dl.dropboxusercontent.com/u/23772269/top%20view%20case%20off.jpg
https://dl.dropboxusercontent.com/u/23772269/top%20view%20with%20case%20on.jpg

i have some of these boards and psu, what gauge wire did you use for the main lines? and what did you use for the current share pin to pin? i've been looking in vain for some time for a set of pin to pin female cables
ZiG
Activity: 406
Merit: 250

IMHO yes...not a good investment...

Let's do some math... S1 is 0.831 BTC ...or $410-415 ( @112Bit as well)...

S2 is generally replicated 5 x S1 ...in a rack box ...10 blades vs 2 blades design...900Gh vs 1000Gh

So $410 x 5 = around $2,000 ...add 1 more blade ...around $2,100 ...all other parts, including PSU, case, LED etc are maybe another $100 at cost...$2,200...but they are saving of 4 controllers less...and they are not so cheap...

My guess is that In May we will see price in the $2,000 and a change range...

What do you think...? Am I missing something...?  
Activity: 95
I guess there is no such thing as free. So power that I am paying for regardless if I mine or not. But I also use this power to operate my business, free was in that sense. I'm not paying any rent for my miners, it's just 1 shelf in my office, leeching off my business' available power, space and internet connection. So really I have no "additional" cost for operating these buggers. Hence, free.

In the larger scheme, no such thing as free lunch (until and if a truly free and clean energy device is developed).  Even though your space is not metered, I'd be surprised if were not being metered somewhere.  It seems someone, somewhere will be paying a bit more on their bill.
legendary
Activity: 2968
Merit: 1198
In your situation (with which I have some familiarity) you don't really have free power. You have $/month of fixed subsidy (the value of your power usage at full load). The power is actually very expensive to you in marginal cost, because you can't get more at any price.
I guess there is no such thing as free. So power that I am paying for regardless if I mine or not. But I also use this power to operate my business, free was in that sense. I'm not paying any rent for my miners, it's just 1 shelf in my office, leeching off my business' available power, space and internet connection. So really I have no "additional" cost for operating these buggers. Hence, free.

The point is, you are already mining to the max, and getting the full subsidy from the free power, regardless of which miners you use. It is a fixed amount of per month.
Activity: 308
Double your Personal Bitcoin Funds.
In your situation (with which I have some familiarity) you don't really have free power. You have $/month of fixed subsidy (the value of your power usage at full load). The power is actually very expensive to you in marginal cost, because you can't get more at any price.
Activity: 211
Merit: 100
It's a large commercial building and contract has power included. Plus it's unmetered. To top it all, I have very limited power available as you can see above list maxed out my electrical consumption. So it's not necessarily a giant farm in hiding.

Sounds like a dream for a Bitcoin enthusiast.  Wonder if you could bring in an electrician to add another panel or two and expand your "free" power (although that may require a transformer upgrade, which can be pricey).
By terms of my contract all electrical work has to be approved by building management, which will give away my hunger for power Smiley

There's a thread somewhere to underclock S1 to draw less power so u can add Hz without tripping your power.
legendary
Activity: 2968
Merit: 1198
It's a large commercial building and contract has power included. Plus it's unmetered. To top it all, I have very limited power available as you can see above list maxed out my electrical consumption. So it's not necessarily a giant farm in hiding.

Sounds like a dream for a Bitcoin enthusiast.  Wonder if you could bring in an electrician to add another panel or two and expand your "free" power (although that may require a transformer upgrade, which can be pricey).
By terms of my contract all electrical work has to be approved by building management, which will give away my hunger for power Smiley

Sometimes its even worse than that. In some places with unmetered service, any new electrical work (permit) will require you to put in a meter

My opinion is to sit tight and wait for better deals, and just keep going with the S1s. I do not believe the S2 is worth the price. Make your own decisions though.

With free power you definitely want to go with S1s instead of S2s. The biggest advantage of S2s is lower power usage at a much higher price per hash.
I have the following running currently;
10XS1
1XKNCMiner
5XBE Blades

My problem is that I've run out of power available. I can't even OC anything without tripping switches.

So if I replace 3XS1's with 1XS2 that's 540GHs out and 1TH in. I can easily sell those 3 units and make some money back in fiat.

With free power, you can stretch your investment longer than almost everyone else.  But "free" might not be free anymore if you are drawing large amounts.  Someone will likely notice eventually.
Activity: 882
Merit: 1003

I estimate 1T currently making 0.065 means 100 days to breakeven before difficulty increase or electricity costs.

No go.

S1 @ 0.831 for 180G makes 0.0125 or 67 days to breakeven.
Risky too but possible.

In 65 days the dificulty will increase from 6.9 to over 20+ Billion.  

After the 10 Billion mark in 2 1/2  weeks the miner is only making .0025 btc per day before the next jump.

I estimate 1T currently making 0.065 means 100 days to breakeven before difficulty increase or electricity costs.

No go.

S1 @ 0.831 for 180G makes 0.0125 or 67 days to breakeven.
Risky too but possible.

I have free power. Still not worth?

With free power, you can stretch your investment longer than almost everyone else.  But "free" might not be free anymore if you are drawing large amounts.  Someone will likely notice eventually.

Bitmain won me over with the S1.  I have one batch 2 S2.  I will unlikely pull for the batch 3 S2 unless the price comes down.  There are alternatives.
Jump to: