Author

Topic: ANTMINER S5: 1155GH(+OverClock Potential), In Stock $0.319/GH & 0.51W/GH - page 122. (Read 451039 times)

legendary
Activity: 2128
Merit: 1005
ASIC Wannabe
Thinking of two S5, outside of footprint, is there a real compatibility advantage to buying one EVGA Supernova 1300 Gold Vs two Corsair CX750M Bronze?  I understand the CX750M measures as an 825W supply (per Dogie), so it seems to me the reason to choose the 1300 is less space and fewer power cords.  Right or wrong?

Overall you'll have less loss using a single, larger PSU versus two individual ones.  Granted, its not much loss, but hey, electricity is electricity.
The CX750M is bronze rated, which means that using a pair of them vs a single 1300W GOLD is about 2-4% more electricity usage. its not a whole lot, but its still $2-3/month savings with a more efficient PSU. over the span of a year, you'll have saved about $30 by using a gold-rated PSu over a bronze-rated one.
Activity: 353
Merit: 253
I have a 1200W Corsair PSU... how much can I safely overclock my C1 miner?

Thanks,
ilpirata79

The PSU is able to provide 1200watts, the C1 is drawing ~900 watts.
You can safely OC the C1 till max frequency, the PSU will survive only the C1 can get a bit stressed Wink

Cheeers

Sorry to bother you with this request... what are the suggested voltages for the different frequencies?

Thanks,
ilpirata79
Activity: 224
Merit: 100
@Digitalmocking

Temperature difference between the 2 hashing PCB was reported to the engineers and it was reviewed.  So far, it is not the hardware caused issues, but rather where and how the miners are being deployed and managed per the engineers.

All of my miners are in a datacenter with 21c input temps, of the 6 miners all boards are running between 45 - 51 except for the one board that runs 10c hotter than all the others.

I'm going to pull the system apart this weekend and check the thermal compound.
donator
Activity: 792
Merit: 510
@Digitalmocking

Temperature difference between the 2 hashing PCB was reported to the engineers and it was reviewed.  So far, it is not the hardware caused issues, but rather where and how the miners are being deployed and managed per the engineers.

legendary
Activity: 1736
Merit: 1006
has anyone ran any tests on wattage vs speed?

after the diff increase i am thinking about turning my s5 down to 300..
hopefully it will run cooler, the fan wont be so loud and it might use a little less watts..

legendary
Looks like its working!  Grin

What are the big update ?? My fans seems to run lower. Anything else??

Give me your btc address for tip Wink

After upgrading all the S5's and scoping out the temp charts, I picked a miner with the highest fan speed and temperature and took it offline. (Note to Bitmain: add a cool-down cycle that is triggered by unplugging the net cable).  After an air blast in the garage to get rid of the dust, proceeded to take off the fan and end brackets using a folded piece of cardboard to separate the fins on the heat sink.  Next, I removed one of the two ASIC boards with the dozen or so spring screws (clever!) and noticed that the thermal compound on the 1384 chips was mostly missing !  Maybe an unfortunate over-heat in a prior life, who knows.  After cleaning up the heatsink and board with contact cleaner followed by iso alcohol, I applied some GELID Solutions GC-Extreme thermal compound to the chips, installed the first board, ditto for the second one.

Bottom line, new thermal compound resulted in 600 RPM fan reduction and 8-10 Deg C in temperature !  Took about an hour for the first one and $5.00 in Gelid compound.  Happy camper here !

mine runs about 50c and the fan is around 3800 rpm..

is this what you are getting? i dont have another one to compare.. should i take apart and repaste?

That S5 was running in the low 60's at 3960 RPM - After the thermal compound it dropped to 50 at 3240 with the same room temperature.  Lower HW errors too.  I'll pull the next worst one tonight and repaste it for comparison.   The Gelid stuff is really stiff and gluey compared to the Arctic Silver compound.   That's probably a good thing Smiley  If I were completely ADHD I'd sort the boards across units and get matched sets lol.

Of the 6 I just ordered one is running noticeably hotter than the rest.  I think I know what I'm doing next weekend.

that is a pretty large gap..
board #1 is hotter on mine then #2 but only by 6c.

id wait till the diff increase to take it down and repaste it.. its going to be a big increase and id mine as much as you can before.
Looks like its working!  Grin

After upgrading all the S5's and scoping out the temp charts, I picked a miner with the highest fan speed and temperature and took it offline. (Note to Bitmain: add a cool-down cycle that is triggered by unplugging the net cable).  After an air blast in the garage to get rid of the dust, proceeded to take off the fan and end brackets using a folded piece of cardboard to separate the fins on the heat sink.  Next, I removed one of the two ASIC boards with the dozen or so spring screws (clever!) and noticed that the thermal compound on the 1384 chips was mostly missing !  Maybe an unfortunate over-heat in a prior life, who knows.  After cleaning up the heatsink and board with contact cleaner followed by iso alcohol, I applied some GELID Solutions GC-Extreme thermal compound to the chips, installed the first board, ditto for the second one.

Bottom line, new thermal compound resulted in 600 RPM fan reduction and 8-10 Deg C in temperature !  Took about an hour for the first one and $5.00 in Gelid compound.  Happy camper here !

is this what you are getting? i dont have another one to compare.. should i take apart and repaste?

That S5 was running in the low 60's at 3960 RPM - After the thermal compound it dropped to 50 at 3240 with the same room temperature.  Lower HW errors too.  I'll pull the next worst one tonight and repaste it for comparison.   The Gelid stuff is really stiff and gluey compared to the Arctic Silver compound.   That's probably a good thing Smiley  If I were completely ADHD I'd sort the boards across units and get matched sets lol.

Of the 6 I just ordered one is running noticeably hotter than the rest.  I think I know what I'm doing next weekend.

Thinking of two S5, outside of footprint, is there a real compatibility advantage to buying one EVGA Supernova 1300 Gold Vs two Corsair CX750M Bronze?  I understand the CX750M measures as an 825W supply (per Dogie), so it seems to me the reason to choose the 1300 is less space and fewer power cords.  Right or wrong?

Overall you'll have less loss using a single, larger PSU versus two individual ones.  Granted, its not much loss, but hey, electricity is electricity.
Activity: 99
Merit: 10
can anyone with RMA experience share if it is necessary to send the entire miner back or can i just send the faulty parts. Thanks

you can ship just the faulty parts back. as long as you are sure that the part is not working
Activity: 1050
Merit: 377
Activity: 26
Merit: 0
That S5 was running in the low 60's at 3960 RPM - After the thermal compound it dropped to 50 at 3240 with the same room temperature.  Lower HW errors too.  I'll pull the next worst one tonight and repaste it for comparison.   The Gelid stuff is really stiff and gluey compared to the Arctic Silver compound.   That's probably a good thing Smiley  If I were completely ADHD I'd sort the boards across units and get matched sets lol.

Impressive results!  What is your ambient temperature?  Please share more details on exactly how you applied new compound.  Thank you.

This is the stuff I used:  http://www.ebay.com/itm/331178553288?

After cleaning off the chips and heat sink, I put a drop on each of the BM1384 ASIC chips and spread it lightly with the flat applicator that is in each package.  The springs and shoulder hardware keep the board from being overtightened and squeezing out the compound from between the ASIC and heat sink, so the procedure is fairly simple.   Of course, an ESD mat an wrist strap is recommended !
Activity: 68
Merit: 10
That S5 was running in the low 60's at 3960 RPM - After the thermal compound it dropped to 50 at 3240 with the same room temperature.  Lower HW errors too.  I'll pull the next worst one tonight and repaste it for comparison.   The Gelid stuff is really stiff and gluey compared to the Arctic Silver compound.   That's probably a good thing Smiley  If I were completely ADHD I'd sort the boards across units and get matched sets lol.

Impressive results!  What is your ambient temperature?  Please share more details on exactly how you applied new compound.  Thank you.
Looks like its working!  Grin

After upgrading all the S5's and scoping out the temp charts, I picked a miner with the highest fan speed and temperature and took it offline. (Note to Bitmain: add a cool-down cycle that is triggered by unplugging the net cable).  After an air blast in the garage to get rid of the dust, proceeded to take off the fan and end brackets using a folded piece of cardboard to separate the fins on the heat sink.  Next, I removed one of the two ASIC boards with the dozen or so spring screws (clever!) and noticed that the thermal compound on the 1384 chips was mostly missing !  Maybe an unfortunate over-heat in a prior life, who knows.  After cleaning up the heatsink and board with contact cleaner followed by iso alcohol, I applied some GELID Solutions GC-Extreme thermal compound to the chips, installed the first board, ditto for the second one.

Bottom line, new thermal compound resulted in 600 RPM fan reduction and 8-10 Deg C in temperature !  Took about an hour for the first one and $5.00 in Gelid compound.  Happy camper here !

legendary
Activity: 1582
Merit: 1019
i have been thinking of buying this hardware .. what you guys think its still profitable ? how long will it take to break even

i hate to say it but at this point in time, if you dont have other hardware to help roi new hardware i dont think its wise to purchase new hardware.

not unless they come out with much faster cheaper hardware that uses a lot less energy.

diff going to be 50b soon.

you will end up with exactly what you put into it 6 months down the road..
yes BTC might go up, and you will make more.. but..

gambling on the BTC going up is the same as just buying it and holding it.

No fun in that though Smiley I like hearing the whir of a miner!
legendary
Activity: 1582
Merit: 1019
i have been thinking of buying this hardware .. what you guys think its still profitable ? how long will it take to break even

I always say do your own ROI, as I don't want to be responsible for any loss...... I'm glad to take credit for gains Smiley Joking of course.

The S5 is solid gear.  If you have a PSU already you will save a little, if not get a decent PSU aswell.  

I can vouch for the 750W server PSUs being sold by sidehack! http://www.gekkoscience.com/ Affordable and work well!

legendary

i hate to say it but at this point in time, if you dont have other hardware to help roi new hardware i dont think its wise to purchase new hardware.

not unless they come out with much faster cheaper hardware that uses a lot less energy.

diff going to be 50b soon.

you will end up with exactly what you put into it 6 months down the road..
yes BTC might go up, and you will make more.. but..

gambling on the BTC going up is the same as just buying it and holding it.
legendary

After upgrading all the S5's and scoping out the temp charts, I picked a miner with the highest fan speed and temperature and took it offline. (Note to Bitmain: add a cool-down cycle that is triggered by unplugging the net cable).  After an air blast in the garage to get rid of the dust, proceeded to take off the fan and end brackets using a folded piece of cardboard to separate the fins on the heat sink.  Next, I removed one of the two ASIC boards with the dozen or so spring screws (clever!) and noticed that the thermal compound on the 1384 chips was mostly missing !  Maybe an unfortunate over-heat in a prior life, who knows.  After cleaning up the heatsink and board with contact cleaner followed by iso alcohol, I applied some GELID Solutions GC-Extreme thermal compound to the chips, installed the first board, ditto for the second one.

Bottom line, new thermal compound resulted in 600 RPM fan reduction and 8-10 Deg C in temperature !  Took about an hour for the first one and $5.00 in Gelid compound.  Happy camper here !

legendary
Activity: 1456
Merit: 1000

I always say do your own ROI, as I don't want to be responsible for any loss...... I'm glad to take credit for gains Smiley Joking of course.

The S5 is solid gear.  If you have a PSU already you will save a little, if not get a decent PSU aswell.  
Activity: 675
Merit: 502
#SuperBowl50 #NFCchamps

Go for it, but think about it as a learning exercise, or as a hobby, or as a long shot of making lots of money in 10-20 years.
It will not make you much cash in the short term.
It will generally take several months at the very least to ROI with the most efficient hardware right now (S5 included). People who purchased when it was first released should be able to ROI in a month or two depending on their electric costs and the luck of the pool(s) they were using.

It would probably be most profitable to buy a miner when BTC is high, mine for a few months and then sell it when BTC is low - you should be able to profit in terms of BTC
Jump to: