Author

Topic: ANTMINER S5: 1155GH(+OverClock Potential), In Stock $0.319/GH & 0.51W/GH - page 158. (Read 451039 times)

Activity: 68
Merit: 10
Xian01, we have our reason to do this. A very important diff driver will not be able to do anything to diminish your mining output.  Wait for our short explanation about it.

@Bitmain
It is very hard to stay positive.  How long must we wait before we hear your explanation?
legendary
Activity: 3346
Merit: 1858
Curmudgeonly hardware guy
He probably means it's not a cost you have to worry about returning within the lifetime of the miner, as once that machine is retired the PSU is (hopefully) still fully functional for the next machine and/or maintains most of its original value for resale. The problem with Dogie's one-off replies is they're so short it's easy to overlook context and misconstrue intent, especially when you read them through cynical lenses.

When I buy gear I'd rather buy gear without built-in PSUs as I basically factor PSU as a zero cost. We have so many running around at the shop (one benefit of being a PSU hardware manufacturer/supplier) that the cost is negligible and, oftentimes with our gear, the reliability is improved.
legendary
Activity: 2212
Merit: 1001
psu = usd 50 Huh (depending on user)

A PSU is not a mining cost as its not consumed during the process of mining and value stays largely the same.

Can you run a miner without it Huh  NO   Then it IS a mining cost.......  Roll Eyes

Wonder why a dog won't be president....there ya go  Cheesy
legendary
Activity: 1500
Merit: 1002
Mine Mine Mine

A PSU is not a mining cost as its not consumed during the process of mining and value stays largely the same.

then how are you going to power the miner without a psu ? if it aint a cost then tell us what it is. still need to take $ out to buy a psu so isnt that a cost ?

no psu = no power for miner = no mining
Activity: 1050
Merit: 377
Very disappointed.  I bought two for ~$790 shipped and two months later I'm looking at significantly more for something received two months earlier.  My cost of power is painful, but the cost of two new S5s is more!  I'm seeing little reason to buy before availability of the S7(?), my S3s are holding the fort!  Thanks Bitmain, but appears you're joining the established supplier community and appear to despise your international customers!  Guess I just have to wait!
legendary
Activity: 1666
Merit: 1185
dogiecoin.com

legendary
My first prototype was running to bizarre issues and required a complete redesign. Novak and I spent some time going over a bit different (more flexible) concept, which I finally found to breadboard an initial prototype today and I'll keep working on it tomorrow. We're way behind on R&D for just about everything these days. If I can get the regulator working how I like, it'll actually be a first step in a couple other projects you'd probably be interested in.
legendary
Activity: 1274
Merit: 1004
If spondoolies was ever going to do something now would be the time.

Makes you wonder whether they were spooked by the same competitor that bitmain were worried about ... but were they, like bitmain, brave enough to place firm orders to have their chips fabricated?

More likely they didn't want to invest further in manufacturing current-gen technology whose bottom-end efficiency is pretty much on par with current or upcoming competition's stock efficiency, so they could put money into R&D for the next-gen stuff to actually compete directly with whoever Bitmain's worried about in another month or two.

Additionally, when factoring longevity into S5 calculations recall that BM1384 chips are rated to run around 0.25W/GH with sufficient undervolt/underclock. That takes the S5 from a 600W 1100GH machine to a 125W 500GH machine.
Did you ever get further into your project to make a DC/DC supply for the S5? I haven't updated the firmware on mine since I got it to see if the issues with running at reduced volts was a firmware limit, but I'd be interested to know if anyone's actually gotten them down to 9V stable.
Activity: 518
Merit: 500
More likely they didn't want to invest further in manufacturing current-gen technology whose bottom-end efficiency is pretty much on par with current or upcoming competition's stock efficiency, so they could put money into R&D for the next-gen stuff to actually compete directly with whoever Bitmain's worried about in another month or two.

That is a potent statement there! SPT have insinuated (even overtly stated) their main customers are not home miners, thus it would make sense that they did not put orders in for current generation chips, simply because their large customers would not be interested in that soon to be superceded tech. Surely, that makes bitmain saints in the eyes of the home miner, price rise or not. Question is, why would you begrudge a saint a dollar?
legendary

Makes you wonder whether they were spooked by the same competitor that bitmain were worried about ... but were they, like bitmain, brave enough to place firm orders to have their chips fabricated?

Additionally, when factoring longevity into S5 calculations recall that BM1384 chips are rated to run around 0.25W/GH with sufficient undervolt/underclock. That takes the S5 from a 600W 1100GH machine to a 125W 500GH machine.
legendary
Activity: 1500
Merit: 1002
Mine Mine Mine
again i'm going to post this . . .

price of miner = usd 419 (as of 292 usd/btc @ BMT)
shipping = usd 50 Huh (depending on location)
tax = usd 50 Huh (depending on location)
other additional costs such as upgraded/additional fans, lan cable, port switches, rental/hosting, racks/space, etc

so at bare minimum a s5 would cost usd 469 EXCLUDING tax & psu if applicable

@ current diff & price of btc @ usd 292.2/btc hashing @ advertised 1155ghs = 3.579/day * 12.8 days = usd 45.8 and so on with diff changes.
* btw, buyers WILL definitely mine @ a higher difficulty, note the shipping dates, soonest is a little over 2 weeks away & by the time it reaches buyer so lets say 3 weeks & i wont even bring up the june batch.

that is again EXCLUDING electricity costs & diff jump in the next 12.8 days or so.

if price & diff remains constant ( GL to that) it'll take at least 6 months to ROI ? in 6 months time i am very confident next gen miners will be available to the market & these overpriced s5's can be listed on the scrap metal list pretty soon.

if the buying stops the killing stops. i'd also advise miners to pull out from antpool to even out the overall network hashrate. needless to mention the p2pool that was not a real p2pool. less support = more pressure.

imo, BMT wants to clear it's stocks & taking an opportunity to make as much $ as possible within the shortest amount of time since SPT has stopped SP20 production & want to promote hashnest sales as much as possible or pressure buyers to buy the older stocks so that they can clear old stocks before next gen miners comes out ?

forget about what BMT is giving or doing anything for the community or making any profits or not, they (same goes to all manufacturer's, miners & traders) are all out to make $, $ talks & the BS can go walking !

just my very own opinion though. take it with a grain of salt or as an adivse. nothing against nobody. no one can stop buyers from buying or stopping BMT to raise their prices as every party has their own rights to do so but do it wisely.

Are you mad? ROI and the current price of S5 have no business being in the same sentence unless it is to discourage people from buying.  At the current price of BTC, and assuming ZERO electricity costs and ZERO difficulty increase, it would STILL take 120 days to break even. Add any amount of electricity cost or diff increase, and it just ain't happening.  They aren't raising their price because people have a snowball's chance in hell of ROI'ing, they are doing it because they can, and have zero regard for their customers' respect.

Going by your anology, everyone in bitcoin mining is mad, as there is simply no better chance of ROI'ng at $320 (if you factor in the diff increase had bitmain's competitors taped out) than at $419, but I am happy to leave that in your mind. Simple fact is that you'd still face the same overheads at whichever price point you acquire the batch 5 or 6 S5.

PS. if the market is reasonably perfect and bitmain are right about their calculations to the effect of their competitor not taping out, then BTC should rise to ~$364 and above in the next few days ........ you can then get your S5 for BTC1.13
legendary
Activity: 910
Merit: 1000
legendary
Activity: 1582
Merit: 1019
If paying by CC

Just the unit: US $445.03

To Canada: $505.57 US. Includes shipping. http://www.dhgate.com/product/bitmain-antminer-s5-1155gh-s-0-51j-g-batch/216320560.html

Same price for batch 5 & 6
legendary
Activity: 4256
Merit: 8551
'The right to privacy matters'
https://blockchain.info/tx/52f60df58612faec5bcfe06ba8ee63004d6b04532760f5ae24b2e119361db4fd

my jan purchase

can be traced to this large holding account

https://blockchain.info/address/1KwA4fS4uVuCNjCtMivE7m5ATbv93UZg8V

and it looks like  191 purchased in the last 14 hours.

edit 220 purchased since  3//9/15  11:30 am UMC time    or when it opened.

so 220 x 1.2 th = 264th  also about   220 x 1.6 coins = 352 coins

an opinion this is slow sales.
legendary
Some days I feel like I'm the only one in the bitcoin economy not motivated by pure greed. It's too bad there aren't more people actually working to support and diversify the network and overall economy rather than focus on short-term profitability at the cost of basically everyone and everything else.
legendary
Activity: 1022
Merit: 1003
Don't mind Bitmain. They are merely laughing all the way to the bank while they are attempting to fuck you and me over with this bullshit price-gouging.

Bitmain, when I wished you a happy and prosperous New Year in our private communications, I had no idea it would come in the form of bending us over to the tune of +25% price increases the first chance you got.

For shame, Bitmain. You've spit in the face of every small-time miner on these forums that helped your rise to prominence.

Especially after they found out a competitor will not tape out. So now they can charge whatever the fuck they want.

I get all this is business, I run a business of my own, but then to blatantly price gouge on insider knowledge and just laugh it all off.   "Grin Grin Grin"

It is just a slap in the face. So, I guess SP-Tech will be getting my BTC when the new gear starts rolling out. Oh well. Business is business.

Come off it! Honestly, as you say they can charge whatever they want, which initially was $320 and now it is $419. But that would not be the whole story. What would the majority of people mourning about the price now have said if the initial price was $411? I'd hazard a guess and say they'd still mourn, albeit a little bit less than now.

But you ignore the fact that the $320 price point was set with the assumption that a competitor was about to release a very efficient chip that would not just have redered the S5 massively in-efficient in comparison, but would have meant a spectaular rise in network difficulty making it reasonably harder / impossible for you to ROI on your investment in the S5 (so they set the price lower at $320). As it turns out (and we are to believe it from bitmain), that competition was blowing hot air and have not even been able to go to the foundry! That changes the dynamics in terms of network difficulty rise (also reflected in the filip in BTC value today) and means you can within reason ROI at the new price point according to their calculations.

I really want to err on the side of bitmain at this point as they have been on our side (home miners) and continue to be so. Look at SPT! They have abandoned the home miner ..... literally! Bitmain do not get the credit they deserve, though I have to put my hand up and say I too give them stick ...... not on this one though.

Are you mad? ROI and the current price of S5 have no business being in the same sentence unless it is to discourage people from buying.  At the current price of BTC, and assuming ZERO electricity costs and ZERO difficulty increase, it would STILL take 120 days to break even. Add any amount of electricity cost or diff increase, and it just ain't happening.  They aren't raising their price because people have a snowball's chance in hell of ROI'ing, they are doing it because they can, and have zero regard for their customers' respect.
Activity: 647
Merit: 501
GainerCoin.com 🔥 Masternode coin 🔥
SPT had exactly one product which wasn't specifically designed for a datacenter environment, and Bitmain price-hammered them so much they couldn't sell it except at a loss.

Additionally, anyone complaining that Bitmain price-hiked their machines by $100 in one day has good reason to do so because now they know full well that Bitmain has no qualms about letting people know they're being screwed. Sure the price of coin is swinging up on the news that their competition won't be delivering. That means the miner is expected to be more profitable for purchasers to mine on. But it also means that Bitmain themselves, fully capable of making positive margin at $320 per unit or they wouldn't be selling at all, are really in the mood to make another $100 profit per unit just because they can. Pretty dickish. Bitmain has good gear, sure, but that's crap and everyone knows it.

It is for the same reason we mine ~ greed ~ plain and simple. What else would you expect from a company who is out to make a profit? Bitmain is the only game in town now so they will bend us over as much as they can.
legendary
SPT had exactly one product which wasn't specifically designed for a datacenter environment, and Bitmain price-hammered them so much they couldn't sell it except at a loss.

Additionally, anyone complaining that Bitmain price-hiked their machines by $100 in one day has good reason to do so because now they know full well that Bitmain has no qualms about letting people know they're being screwed. Sure the price of coin is swinging up on the news that their competition won't be delivering. That means the miner is expected to be more profitable for purchasers to mine on. But it also means that Bitmain themselves, fully capable of making positive margin at $320 per unit or they wouldn't be selling at all, are really in the mood to make another $100 profit per unit just because they can. Pretty dickish. Bitmain has good gear, sure, but that's crap and everyone knows it.
Jump to: