Author

Topic: ANTMINER S5: 1155GH(+OverClock Potential), In Stock $0.319/GH & 0.51W/GH - page 225. (Read 451048 times)

legendary
Activity: 1274
Merit: 1004
Stock fan produces ~69db, which is not typically tolerable in the house (apart from basement, attic, garage, shed)
Fan play to have as much hash as possible while maintaing low dB:
~30C ambient
1. Noctua 3000 PWM ($24.5, 110CFM, up to 3000rpm, just 41dB) in push position: ~59-61C at 325mhz, 1070Gh; less stable at 350mhz.
2. Scythe Ultra KAZE ($15.3, 130CFM, 3000rpm, 46dB) in push position via molex adapter-worse than Noctua, temp rising close to 65C at 325mhz, discontinued. Strange result as this fan has nominally higher CFM than Noctua.
3. Noctua in push, Scythe in pull (connected to molex through included adapter), up to 337.5 mhz is stable (1100 Gh).

Conclusion: adding Scythe ($15) in pull might be not worth it as it adds just ~30gh.
I simply taped Scythe to exhaust in pull orientation because could not find proper screws yet.

Question: anybody knows what are the characteristics/dimensions of the machine screws Bitmain is using for fans? They seem to be in between 3 and 4mmX42mm, but I wasn't able to find such screws easily. They are not 3X40mm for sure. Anybody have a link?

Hi, the screw we're using for fans is PM4*42.

Thanks, but it is a little cryptic. What is PM? The search for "PM4*42" or "PM4*42 screws" returns nothing relevant.
can you point to the source that is readily available in the United States? Amazon, ebay, grainger, english version of alibaba (less optimal because of long delivery time), etc.
Philips head (or maybe pan?), M4 thread, 42mm long.
legendary
Activity: 1666
Merit: 1185
dogiecoin.com
Hey everyone,

So Bitmain was very cool about issuing me coupons for the 24 AntMiners that I purchased off of Amazon before the price drop.  I haven't decided if I'm going to use them all, or perhaps just a few…  Still need to get a number of our first delivery up and running.

So that said, I may be interested in either trading or selling a bunch of the coupons -the coupons are good through February 4, and our valued at $45.00.  Just a heads up, you can only use one coupon per S5.

Shoot me a private message if there is any interest in working out a deal on some of these.

Cheers!  Grin

Strato

I also bought 2 on Amazon but did not get coupons for those.  What is the procedure for obtaining them?  I could really use them as I'm about to order 4 more direct from Bitmain.

Ditto

Sorry I'm late on this one, the answer is to contact your Amazon seller for coupons. They have control of them.
legendary
Activity: 3892
Merit: 4331
Stock fan produces ~69db, which is not typically tolerable in the house (apart from basement, attic, garage, shed)
Fan play to have as much hash as possible while maintaing low dB:
~30C ambient
1. Noctua 3000 PWM ($24.5, 110CFM, up to 3000rpm, just 41dB) in push position: ~59-61C at 325mhz, 1070Gh; less stable at 350mhz.
2. Scythe Ultra KAZE ($15.3, 130CFM, 3000rpm, 46dB) in push position via molex adapter-worse than Noctua, temp rising close to 65C at 325mhz, discontinued. Strange result as this fan has nominally higher CFM than Noctua.
3. Noctua in push, Scythe in pull (connected to molex through included adapter), up to 337.5 mhz is stable (1100 Gh).

Conclusion: adding Scythe ($15) in pull might be not worth it as it adds just ~30gh.
I simply taped Scythe to exhaust in pull orientation because could not find proper screws yet.

Question: anybody knows what are the characteristics/dimensions of the machine screws Bitmain is using for fans? They seem to be in between 3 and 4mmX42mm, but I wasn't able to find such screws easily. They are not 3X40mm for sure. Anybody have a link?

Hi, the screw we're using for fans is PM4*42.

Thanks, but it is a little cryptic. What is PM? The search for "PM4*42" or "PM4*42 screws" returns nothing relevant.
can you point to the source that is readily available in the United States? Amazon, ebay, grainger, english version of alibaba (less optimal because of long delivery time), etc.
legendary
Activity: 2030
Merit: 1076
BTCLife.global participant
One experiment with S5 cooling you would like to know about: https://bitcointalksearch.org/topic/m.10095270
Activity: 16
Merit: 0
@Dr.Miner,

Recommended PSU:

EVGA 1300W - 2 x S5 nice and comfortable
EVGA 1000W - 2 x S5 but it is pushing the PSU to the limit (Not safe)
Corsair Professional Series  HX 850 Watt ATX/EPS Modular 80 PLUS Gold (HX850)  - 1 x S5

Please make sure all 4 PCI-E power connectors on the S5 to be powered up

I've ordered 2extra pcie modular psu cable from modDIY.com

EVGA SuperNOVA is a huge investment here
Activity: 518
Merit: 500
At the risk of making the proverbial storm in a teacup, bitmain, why do you offer shipping options that you do not effect?

I placed an order for an S5 and selected shipping via EMS, however, my shipping confirmation came through this morning and it is being shipped by UPS.

Just to put this in the public domain, I sent an email to [email protected] and the explanation given was that UPS is faster than EMS, and therefore they opted (without checking with me) to use the faster courier.

The reason I chose EMS over UPS is because the latter charge inexplicably large amounts for processing my import duties, do not offer online payment of duties + charges, unlike DHL are are slower & do not provide TXT status updates and provide a very wide delivery window (e.g delivery before end of day which means I have to stay put till they arrive). I did not mention that the last time I used UPS to ship from bitmain they turned up on the day and demanded cash (or a cheque ... honestly, who still has those?) before handing over my S3. I chose EMS knowing they can be slower, but decided to take my chances. On the day I ordered, EMS was probably cheaper than UPS by BTC 0.001, so that was not a deciding factor. For all intents and purposes, I could have chosen another sticker courier, aka Fedex which was a tad dearer to a negligible extent, but I chose EMS.

Now, when they turn up and they still charge these ridiculous fees, I shall not sign for the package, so it will have to be returned to bitmain, and you can then ship it via EMS at your cost. Pretty frustrating that you offer a shipping method that you do not want to fulfill.
legendary
Activity: 3654
Merit: 8909
https://bpip.org
So is a corsair cx750m not beefy enough for these?  I have two S5 running on one corsair cx750m each (which only have two PCIe cables each that split to provide two plugs each for a total of four).  I did have one unit shut off randomly after a couple hours of mining yesterday but I didn't pay attention to whether the PSU had shut off or just the S5.  The S5 was power off though, no lights, no fan, nothing.  Turning the PSU off and back on brought it back up and it has been running since.  The other unit has been running the whole time.

The PSU is powerful enough, but you need to make sure the cables are not heating up. I had it running in a fairly cool environment (~20C) without issues. A PSU with 4 separate PCI-E cables would be safer.
legendary
Activity: 1726
Merit: 1018
So is a corsair cx750m not beefy enough for these?  I have two S5 running on one corsair cx750m each (which only have two PCIe cables each that split to provide two plugs each for a total of four).  I did have one unit shut off randomly after a couple hours of mining yesterday but I didn't pay attention to whether the PSU had shut off or just the S5.  The S5 was power off though, no lights, no fan, nothing.  Turning the PSU off and back on brought it back up and it has been running since.  The other unit has been running the whole time.
let us know what we can do
What can be the problem?Overheat?PSU?
A have a coolermaster V700.
So i'm thinking about the pool, but seems fine.

Is that a 700W PSU? Probably not enough for S5. 12 volt rail won't have full 700W.
Yes
According to the specific the 12V rail has 696W

Are you using four separate cables?
Separate?You mean each plug straight from the psu?No.I have 2 cables and with two heads each and one cable for one board.
Should i buy 2more modular cable?

Yes, you should have four cables. Pushing close to 300 watts in one cable is simply too much for most standard PCI-E cables. My guess is they are getting too hot and the PSU's thermal protection is shutting it off. If you feel the cables they are probably hot to the touch after the miner has been working a while. Each input to the S5 should be a separate cable. If the PSU has four separate PCI-E outputs you should be running a cable on each one.
Thank you
legendary
Activity: 1582
Merit: 1019
Is this a good PSU to use with the S5?

Corsair Professional Series  HX 850 Watt ATX/EPS Modular 80 PLUS Gold (HX850)

http://www.amazon.com/dp/B0090I9W66/ref=pe_386430_30332290_TE_3p_dp_1

I am running S5 on Chieftec APS-850CB (850 W, 80+ Bronze, two 12V rails, and it has 4 (!) separate PCI-E power cables). 1.3 Th at 400 MHz.

So your Corsair will be even better for S5, may be too good. ))

I like overkill.
donator
Activity: 792
Merit: 510
@Dr.Miner,

Recommended PSU:

Corsair Professional Series  HX 850 Watt ATX/EPS Modular 80 PLUS Gold (HX850)  - 1 x S5

legendary
Activity: 1246
Merit: 1024

Is that a 700W PSU? Probably not enough for S5. 12 volt rail won't have full 700W.
Yes

Separate?You mean each plug straight from the psu?No.I have 2 cables and with two heads each and one cable for one board.

Yes, you should have four cables. Pushing close to 300 watts in one cable is simply too much for most standard PCI-E cables. My guess is they are getting too hot and the PSU's thermal protection is shutting it off. If you feel the cables they are probably hot to the touch after the miner has been working a while. Each input to the S5 should be a separate cable. If the PSU has four separate PCI-E outputs you should be running a cable on each one.

Yes

donator
probably the PSU is not strong enough to power up the S5.

Yes
legendary

Yes

Yes
legendary

legendary
Activity: 2030
Merit: 1076
BTCLife.global participant
Is this a good PSU to use with the S5?

Corsair Professional Series  HX 850 Watt ATX/EPS Modular 80 PLUS Gold (HX850)

http://www.amazon.com/dp/B0090I9W66/ref=pe_386430_30332290_TE_3p_dp_1

I am running S5 on Chieftec APS-850CB (850 W, 80+ Bronze, two 12V rails, and it has 4 (!) separate PCI-E power cables). 1.3 Th at 400 MHz.

So your Corsair will be even better for S5, may be too good. ))
donator
@Dr.Miner,

What kind of PSU do you use?

Also, if you hear the beep, it means your miner lost connection to the mining pool

Recommended PSU:

Corsair Professional Series  HX 850 Watt ATX/EPS Modular 80 PLUS Gold (HX850)  - 1 x S5

Jump to: