Author

Topic: ANTMINER S5: 1155GH(+OverClock Potential), In Stock $0.319/GH & 0.51W/GH - page 243. (Read 451048 times)

Activity: 924
Merit: 1000
Watch out for the "Neg-Rep-Dogie-Police".....
This is the thing, if history is anything to go by with the S2, S3 & S4 firmware problems - it could take months to get the S5 firmware right, if they do at all. This is the major drawback with Bitmain, great units but buggy firmware. Compare this to SPT, they are constantly testing & tweaking their firmware to improve it - not to get it working properly.

Bitmain & Firmware...... Sad
legendary
Activity: 1666
Merit: 1185
dogiecoin.com
So when you say "fixed in the next one" does that mean batch 2 or the next firmware version whenever that is?  And is this the same firmware we can update at home (whenever it is released)?

Firmware (not guaranteed to be next, more 'soon') and yes normal firmware you flash via web browser.
legendary
Activity: 1726
Merit: 1018
..... as the S5's require a reboot pretty often due to a firmware issue that makes one hash board drop off every other day..... Sad

@ Bitmain:  Any news on a firmware fix for this in the near future?

I can't imagine buying multiple units until this is fixed, it's bad enough having to babysit the one unit.

Do you think this can be fixed with software or is it maybe inherent to the "chain design" implemented in the S5 hardware?

Personally, I think it's a firmware issue - maybe if Bitmain would confirm......

This is the first I heard of this and I have a batch 3 order so shipping any time now.  Is everyone experiencing this?  Does restarting cgminer fix it temporarily?  I have a batch 2 S3 that needs a ton of babysitting also because the hashrate drifts lower and lower the longer it runs, so what I finally did was create a cron job to restart cgminer.  I originally did a cron job to reboot the thing but one time it rebooted and got all hosed up and didn't mine at all for hours so I just restart cgminer now.  

Its already confirmed:

Overnight, one of the blades curiously went xxxxxx xxxxxxxx xxxxxxxx xxxxxxo running at stock 350 with the temps at 63C. Rebooted and it's working OK again.

Hmmm.....I got back from New Years Eve celebrations earlier and noticed the same thing with mine, but all X's. They all came back after a reboot also, but it is a little worrying..... Tongue  Anyone else had this?
that's alarming...

There is a known firmware bug where one module drops out but both still display as mining and temperatures fixed. This may be the same bug and will be fixed in the next one. And yes, its very much firmware.

So when you say "fixed in the next one" does that mean batch 2 or the next firmware version whenever that is?  And is this the same firmware we can update at home (whenever it is released)?
Activity: 686
Merit: 500
WANTED: Active dev to fix & re-write p2pool in C
From my experience so far with the S5, the dreaded X's don't always show up - the hash rate just halves due to one card "freezing" so to speak, so even mdudes monitor can't detect/reboot it. The only way of knowing is to constantly check the pool hash rate, which is a pain in the face  Sad

Major. Pain. In. The. @$$!!!

A workaround could be to join a pool that has a "hash-rate-drop-warning" system in place (like an email or something that alerts you pro-actively when the hash rate drops)...

ie: Babysit it.....It shouldn't be necessary, especially with a brand new unit. Some one with multiple units will have to be at their farm 24/7 rebooting......that's mad.
legendary
dogiecoin.com
..... as the S5's require a reboot pretty often due to a firmware issue that makes one hash board drop off every other day..... Sad

@ Bitmain:  Any news on a firmware fix for this in the near future?

I can't imagine buying multiple units until this is fixed, it's bad enough having to babysit the one unit.

Do you think this can be fixed with software or is it maybe inherent to the "chain design" implemented in the S5 hardware?

Personally, I think it's a firmware issue - maybe if Bitmain would confirm......

This is the first I heard of this and I have a batch 3 order so shipping any time now.  Is everyone experiencing this?  Does restarting cgminer fix it temporarily?  I have a batch 2 S3 that needs a ton of babysitting also because the hashrate drifts lower and lower the longer it runs, so what I finally did was create a cron job to restart cgminer.  I originally did a cron job to reboot the thing but one time it rebooted and got all hosed up and didn't mine at all for hours so I just restart cgminer now. 

Its already confirmed:

Overnight, one of the blades curiously went xxxxxx xxxxxxxx xxxxxxxx xxxxxxo running at stock 350 with the temps at 63C. Rebooted and it's working OK again.

Hmmm.....I got back from New Years Eve celebrations earlier and noticed the same thing with mine, but all X's. They all came back after a reboot also, but it is a little worrying..... Tongue  Anyone else had this?
that's alarming...

There is a known firmware bug where one module drops out but both still display as mining and temperatures fixed. This may be the same bug and will be fixed in the next one. And yes, its very much firmware.
legendary
Activity: 2744
Merit: 1193
I don't believe in denial.
From my experience so far with the S5, the dreaded X's don't always show up - the hash rate just halves due to one card "freezing" so to speak, so even mdudes monitor can't detect/reboot it. The only way of knowing is to constantly check the pool hash rate, which is a pain in the face  Sad

Major. Pain. In. The. @$$!!!

A workaround could be to join a pool that has a "hash-rate-drop-warning" system in place (like an email or something that alerts you pro-actively when the hash rate drops)...
Activity: 924
Merit: 1000
Watch out for the "Neg-Rep-Dogie-Police".....
legendary
...the S5's require a reboot pretty often due to a firmware issue that makes one hash board drop off every other day..... Sad

Temperatures are key to getting these guys running stable. I had issues with xx's appearing around 64C.[...]

Were those xx's appearing "randomly" (not in time, but in place like: oooxxo) or "sequentially" (like xxxxoo or oxxxxx)?
legendary
Activity: 1652
Merit: 1067
Christian Antkow
...the S5's require a reboot pretty often due to a firmware issue that makes one hash board drop off every other day..... Sad

Temperatures are key to getting these guys running stable. I had issues with xx's appearing around 64C.

Since keeping them cool and <~60C, they've been solid, overclocked to 375, for a few days now.

---
Had to reboot this one when I moved it to a circuit to share with an S3. Was running solid 3 days prior.

---
This one has been running for 4 days now solid.

legendary

This is the first I heard of this and I have a batch 3 order so shipping any time now.  Is everyone experiencing this?  Does restarting cgminer fix it temporarily?  I have a batch 2 S3 that needs a ton of babysitting also because the hashrate drifts lower and lower the longer it runs, so what I finally did was create a cron job to restart cgminer.  I originally did a cron job to reboot the thing but one time it rebooted and got all hosed up and didn't mine at all for hours so I just restart cgminer now.  

Exactly, but with the S1 and S3 it were "just" a few chips that went x... I put a RasPi on the router and enabled a secure VPN so I could remotely manage (and reboot) them (in my case anywhere on earth where my iPhone had an internet connection). But AFAIK the S5 has a "chain design", hence my post: https://bitcointalksearch.org/topic/m.10056155

PS you could also achieve this with a "simple/dumb" mechanical timer on the power cord set to interrupt the power for a few minutes at set intervals (say: once every 24 hours for instance)...
legendary
Activity: 1726
Merit: 1018

This is the first I heard of this and I have a batch 3 order so shipping any time now.  Is everyone experiencing this?  Does restarting cgminer fix it temporarily?  I have a batch 2 S3 that needs a ton of babysitting also because the hashrate drifts lower and lower the longer it runs, so what I finally did was create a cron job to restart cgminer.  I originally did a cron job to reboot the thing but one time it rebooted and got all hosed up and didn't mine at all for hours so I just restart cgminer now. 
-ck
legendary
Activity: 4088
Merit: 1631
Ruu \o/
tldr, its not a 'cheaper' or 'noisier' design, its a requirement to reach that performance threshold.
Irrespective of what you say, it's noisier, unbearably so. The pitch is higher along with the absolute sound pressure level. I don't recall implying it was cheaper.
legendary
dogiecoin.com
So I've done a ton of experimenting and investigating on the S5 noise problem and found something very interesting.

The fan on the front of the S5 is NOT a 38mm fan. It's a 38mm form factor with more 25mm blades and a smaller static set of vanes on the inside to direct airflow. That means it has extra noise compared to an equivalent 38mm fan and does not generate the higher static air pressure that a 38mm fan would - presumably it was chosen for higher CFM compared to the 38mm version they used to include on the S3. So I ripped the fan off the back of the S3 and stuck it on the front of the S5. Noise levels are now significantly lower and the cooling is only marginally less effective.

This is different to the S3 fan, which is a generic "12025" with a 38mm deep rotor. The S4 and S5 fan utilises a 25mm deep rotor coupled with what I call a prespin. This type of design is typically required to prevent backflow at very high static pressures + high CFM combinations. Weird things would happen to the airflow patterns if you didn't use one.

tldr, its not a 'cheaper' or 'noisier' design, its a requirement to reach that performance threshold.
legendary

I definitely hope so too, but I fear the worst...

As far as I remember Bitmain used a chain design for the S5. This means the errors show up like:

xooooooo; (abbreviated)
xxoooooo;
xxxooooo;
xxxxoooo;
xxxxxooo;
xxxxxxoo;
xxxxxxxo; or
xxxxxxxx.

At least, that (left to right) is how it looks atm.

Further more it seems that this is more likely to be

xxxxxxoo

then

xxoooooo

due to the cooling configuration (one fan, probably cooling the one end of the chain better than the other)...

But yes; confirmation by Bitmain would be highly appreciated...  Grin

legendary

legendary
Activity: 4256
Merit: 8551
'The right to privacy matters'
Bitmain, why are the coupons different amounts to different people?

Its to do with the batches and inter-batches having different prices and shipping dates.

You sure about that?  Mine was first batch and only $30 coupons.
I'm guessing the logic is that earlier batches got their machines earlier and thus have recouped more of the cost through mining... is that right?

Maybe but doesn't make sense as the price was dropped for later batches also. I'd question if the s5 has even recouped $30 yet.

.0118 btc  per day so the firsts ones came about 1 week ago  7 x .0118 = around .0826  x 277 = 22 usd not counting power.

I used 1th hash so go to 1.3th which is the max it can do 1.3 x 22 = 28.60  - the power which at best would be 8 bucks = 20 profit. looks like you are correct

-ck
legendary
Activity: 4088
Merit: 1631
Ruu \o/
Have you tried closing in the top so the front fan air flow is kept within the frame and exhausted out the rear? Also, how about reducing the airflow above the heat sinks (reducing the upper front fan opening) so as to improve cooling efficiency (greater air flow through the internal heat sinks)?

Beyond that, how about an S3 fan both on front (push) and rear (pull)?
None of these seemed to make any significant difference. The loudness and temperature seems almost entirely dependent on the one fan on the front.
legendary
Activity: 1022
Merit: 1010
Does anyone know if they are they issuing coupons to those who bought units off Amazon (from their BITMAIN account using the direct link on their website?)

Strato
Jump to: