Author

Topic: ANTMINER S5: 1155GH(+OverClock Potential), In Stock $0.319/GH & 0.51W/GH - page 244. (Read 451048 times)

-ck
legendary
Activity: 4088
Merit: 1631
Ruu \o/
So I've done a ton of experimenting and investigating on the S5 noise problem and found something very interesting.

The fan on the front of the S5 is NOT a 38mm fan. It's a 38mm form factor with more 25mm blades and a smaller static set of vanes on the inside to direct airflow. That means it has extra noise compared to an equivalent 38mm fan and does not generate the higher static air pressure that a 38mm fan would - presumably it was chosen for higher CFM compared to the 38mm version they used to include on the S3. So I ripped the fan off the back of the S3 and stuck it on the front of the S5. Noise levels are now significantly lower and the cooling is only marginally less effective.
Activity: 556
Merit: 500
Bitmain, why are the coupons different amounts to different people?

Its to do with the batches and inter-batches having different prices and shipping dates.

You sure about that?  Mine was first batch and only $30 coupons.
I'm guessing the logic is that earlier batches got their machines earlier and thus have recouped more of the cost through mining... is that right?

Maybe but doesn't make sense as the price was dropped for later batches also. I'd question if the s5 has even recouped $30 yet.
No, but they would have mined the $10 difference in the $30 vs $40 coupon from Batch 1 to 2.
Activity: 158
Merit: 100
anyone have a S5 coupon of reasonable value? Seems Bitmain is being aggressive on price vs SP20

2x45 for 0.17
donator
Activity: 792
Merit: 510
As always Bitmain Antminer price changes frequently based on the shipping dates and sometimes based on the quantity discount (bulk), price per miner may differ by orders.  To be fair to each customer, instead of a blanket discount coupons used in the past, in S5, it is calculated per customer to be fair, so the customers who paid more may have received higher value discount coupons to customers from most recent purchase with lower price may have received a less value coupon.

donator
Activity: 792
Merit: 510
THANK YOU!!!!!!    Kiss Kiss Kiss   Grin

Here's a quick binary for the S5 based on bitmain's existing code which will ignore any queue parameter, not discard stales, should be able to ramp up smoothly if you find yourself on a very low diff pool, and use a little less CPU:

http://ck.kolivas.org/apps/cgminer/antminer/s5/4.9.0-150105/cgminer

Binaries will only be temporary so will not survive a machine reboot.

The following will change the cgminer binary for you (set the appropriate IP address), the default root password is "admin":

Code:
ssh 192.168.1.x -l root
cd /tmp
wget http://ck.kolivas.org/apps/cgminer/antminer/s5/4.9.0-150105/cgminer
chmod +x cgminer
mv /usr/bin/cgminer /usr/bin/cgminer.bak
cp cgminer /usr/bin
/etc/init.d/cgminer.sh restart

There should be a more comprehensive merge in the future into mainline cgminer, hopefully by Kano. Bitmaintech has provided us both with S5s to support cgminer development.

legendary
Activity: 1218
Merit: 1001

Its to do with the batches and inter-batches having different prices and shipping dates.

I'm guessing the logic is that earlier batches got their machines earlier and thus have recouped more of the cost through mining... is that right?

Maybe but doesn't make sense as the price was dropped for later batches also. I'd question if the s5 has even recouped $30 yet.
legendary
Activity: 2128
Merit: 1005
ASIC Wannabe
anyone have a S5 coupon of reasonable value? Seems Bitmain is being aggressive on price vs SP20
legendary
Activity: 3892
Merit: 4331

legendary
Activity: 1218
Merit: 1001

Activity: 672
Anyone want it for 0.07btc?
yep. pm me your address and i will transfer funds tomorrow (going to sleep right now)
legendary
Activity: 3892
Merit: 4331
replacing the stock fan with a single Noctua ($24.5 on Amazon) makes it much less loud and changes the metallic banging sound of the stock fan to whooosh, although temperatures rise to ~60C and you have to hash at 325 mhz(1075 GH). I am waiting for a second fan to add pull and go back to 350mhz or even higher.
http://www.amazon.com/Bearing-NF-F12-iPPC-3000-PWM/dp/B00KFCRATC
Thanks for the suggestion, but It's now summer here and mine would fry with that weak a fan (it was 41 degrees C here a couple of days ago).  I happen to have quite a few noctua fans in use for other hardware and some spares. While you can design better fans there is still a certain amount of airflow and air pressure you need to generate and this fan wouldn't cut it.

Oh, OK, the temp in my "mining" room is 30-31c and it is an improved 3000 PWM, not typical 2000PWM model; it provides ~171 CFM.
I will post here once I add cheap deltas for the pull (klondike_bar suggested putting the scotch tape around the top to make a "shroud", which might help cooling).
Anyway, I just wanted to see if I can host more with extra/new fans (with the default fan I simply can't).

The NF-F12-iPPC-3000-PWM is actually only 186m³/h which is 110CFM, good static pressure though.

The NF-A14 industrialPPC-3000 PWM (140mm version) is closer with 269m³/h which is about 160CFM

I almost bought some when I was testing fans for the SP20 but 110CFM wasn't much better than the Scythe 1900rpm Sad

You are right , ~110 cfm, I had it incorrect. Nevertheless, it is enough at least for 325mhz/1070GH in a fairly warm room (30-31C)
legendary
Activity: 4256
Merit: 8551
'The right to privacy matters'
I grabbed 1 https://blockchain.info/tx/52f60df58612faec5bcfe06ba8ee63004d6b04532760f5ae24b2e119361db4fd

money ended up getting transferred here

https://blockchain.info/address/1KwA4fS4uVuCNjCtMivE7m5ATbv93UZg8V

if you have the time and  energy   you can make an estimate of s-5 sales  by looking over this address.
legendary
Activity: 1666
Merit: 1185
dogiecoin.com

Activity: 362
Merit: 250

I believe my coupons are more because I just ordered 2 at regular price friday jan 2. They then added discount only a few days later.

I have considered maybe getting one more, but I don't think I need 2 more yet so I have one $60 coupon up for grabs. Anyone want it for 0.07btc?
legendary
Activity: 3220
Merit: 1220
replacing the stock fan with a single Noctua ($24.5 on Amazon) makes it much less loud and changes the metallic banging sound of the stock fan to whooosh, although temperatures rise to ~60C and you have to hash at 325 mhz(1075 GH). I am waiting for a second fan to add pull and go back to 350mhz or even higher.
http://www.amazon.com/Bearing-NF-F12-iPPC-3000-PWM/dp/B00KFCRATC
Thanks for the suggestion, but It's now summer here and mine would fry with that weak a fan (it was 41 degrees C here a couple of days ago).  I happen to have quite a few noctua fans in use for other hardware and some spares. While you can design better fans there is still a certain amount of airflow and air pressure you need to generate and this fan wouldn't cut it.

Oh, OK, the temp in my "mining" room is 30-31c and it is an improved 3000 PWM, not typical 2000PWM model; it provides ~171 CFM.
I will post here once I add cheap deltas for the pull (klondike_bar suggested putting the scotch tape around the top to make a "shroud", which might help cooling).
Anyway, I just wanted to see if I can host more with extra/new fans (with the default fan I simply can't).

The NF-F12-iPPC-3000-PWM is actually only 186m³/h which is 110CFM, good static pressure though.

The NF-A14 industrialPPC-3000 PWM (140mm version) is closer with 269m³/h which is about 160CFM

I almost bought some when I was testing fans for the SP20 but 110CFM wasn't much better than the Scythe 1900rpm Sad
Activity: 362
Merit: 250
My 2 S5 coupons are for $60. I just ordered my first 2 last week. They probably wont be shipped til next week sometime. If I were to order one now with discount and coupon, its showing 1.202btc after shipping to US.
how much value of the S5 coupon ?
If don't mind please send me one coupon, id digitizing
S5 coupons are presently valued at $30.
Mine are showing $40.

Which batch did you order?
I had batch one and only 30$
I bought Batch 2.
Activity: 353
Merit: 251
how much value of the S5 coupon ?