Author

Topic: ANTMINER S5: 1155GH(+OverClock Potential), In Stock $0.319/GH & 0.51W/GH - page 241. (Read 451048 times)

Activity: 226
Merit: 100
Who got S5 coupons? Which customers do they issue those to?

Are you sure there is such a thing? I saw they dropped the price on the s5, but I haven't seen any coupons.

Their are coupons I already gave two of mine away... Coupons for something a person has already bought is not a good compensations for price drops IMO .

Then for the bad news Sad ... One of my two S5s showed up with a dead blade , and thus the back and forth with tech support begins.. I have tried both a Corsair RM 850 and also tried a RM 1000 .. In BOTH cases blade one shows all x's after about two or three min of up time.. The whole chain for blade one goes dead.. The blade has power and the red light in the card is lit.. Looks like it may be just a bad blade.. The second blade hashes great but that gives the unit a total of about 550 GHs .. I'm running 100% stock no over clocking or anything ..
Activity: 353
Merit: 251

Are you sure there is such a thing? I saw they dropped the price on the s5, but I haven't seen any coupons.

If you ordered  an S5 before the price drop, you got a coupon per S5.
legendary
Activity: 1526
Merit: 1013
Make Bitcoin glow with ENIAC

legendary
Activity: 4592
Merit: 1851
Linux since 1997 RedHat 4
My S5 is mining away at a little over 1.1THs on default settings at my pool https://www.kano.is/ working fine Smiley
(600W on a Seasonic 1200 Platinum)
Activity: 381
Merit: 251
Activity: 224
Merit: 100
https://eloncity.io
Would adding heat sinks to the opposite site of the blades like the S1 heat sink kits not help with dropping the heat?
I am still in two minds about this miner(current exchange rate not in my favor  Undecided ).
I noticed that the power for the Beaglebone is being supplied by the circuit board below it.
The power for the fan is also drawn from that board.
What is the purpose of the Beaglebone. could the fans not be managed by the Beaglebone?
legendary
Activity: 3654
Merit: 8909
https://bpip.org
Got my S5s today, working fine so far. Noisy little suckers. Not sure why they bothered with those flimsy plastic sides at all. Inflatable packaging weak, foam was better.

Thanks ck and kcal63 for fan suggestions, I think I'm gonna need to do something about that.
Activity: 140
Merit: 101
Was about to pull the trigger and order an S5 from batch 3, Glad I came to catch up on the thread here first.
I think I will stick with less efficient miners for now and get an S5 after the software/firmware kinks are worked out; And I have specs for replacing the fan with multiple fans and a cover to maximize cooling and reduce noise to something I can live with. (I just got a T-110S a few weeks ago and it is reasonably quiet due to the water cooling, I am checking out the C1's now. I need a miner with noise below 53 db).
BTW the cooling for the S5 sounds very similar to Rockminer RK-box, so a suggestion, you  guys might want to look at the Silverstone fans. I replaced the incredibly loud fan on my RK with a 170 CFM Silverstone that dropped the db level from 72 to 47. The cooling wasn't quite as good so I also added a couple of smaller fans that brought the overall noise for the miner to 50 db. Not as quiet as the BTCGarden AM-V2, but reasonable for non-basement indoor use).
-ck
legendary
Activity: 4088
Merit: 1631
Ruu \o/
The fan on the front of the S5 is NOT a 38mm fan. It's a 38mm form factor with more 25mm blades and a smaller static set of vanes on the inside to direct airflow. That means it has extra noise compared to an equivalent 38mm fan and does not generate the higher static air pressure that a 38mm fan would - presumably it was chosen for higher CFM compared to the 38mm version they used to include on the S3. So I ripped the fan off the back of the S3 and stuck it on the front of the S5. Noise levels are now significantly lower and the cooling is only marginally less effective.
40 Degree day here today and the S5 was fine with this fan arrangement, running at default 350 speed. The temps got to ~64 but it kept on hashing fine.
Activity: 742
Merit: 500
@Phosphorous: I got s2 and the webgui is faster than surfing the www! is because of the bbb board that is in the following antminers: S2, S4, C1, S5
 Smiley
legendary
Activity: 3654
Merit: 8909
https://bpip.org
If I had $500 to invest into a bitcoin venture, would this be the best way to go?  Can anyone suggest alternatives or is this the best?  This is sort of for me but also for some folks I know thinking of getting into bitcoin. 

Seems like this is a pretty hot item.  Opinions?  Thank you.

With the current exchange rate and where the difficulty is heading it might be better to wait or just buy bitcoin itself as some are suggesting here. Spend that time learning how to calculate mining profitability if you haven't done so yet. If after 2-4 weeks you see a good opportunity and fully understand the risks - try it. But generally speaking small-scale mining is very unlikely to be profitable these days. More of a hobby perhaps.

Thanks, suchmoon.  Man, that's a bummer because I really like putting my hands on equipment.  It's too bad it can't be more appealing to the average techie such as myself. I'm ditching most of my GPUs and was hoping to find a mining-based alternative.  Looked a little at cloud mining but most of them are scams or don't even have mining equipment. 

bleh  /sadface
Just because it won't be profitable doesn't mean it isn't worth doing. If you like putting your hands on equipment then you might enjoy this hobby. I actually maintain that they will be profitable if you sell your equipment in 5-6 months. It seems most of the calculations on here never factor in a re-capture of capital from selling your used miner, and that seems to tip the scales to profitability, at least for me.

That's true, although resale value is not easy to predict, and is largely affected by the same factors as profitability, i.e. higher difficulty, lower exchange rate, more people dumping their miners on bitcointalk/ebay/craigslist/whatever - lower resale value.

Also for people in the colder climates - winter heating cost offset might be something worth considering.
Activity: 556
If I had $500 to invest into a bitcoin venture, would this be the best way to go?  Can anyone suggest alternatives or is this the best?  This is sort of for me but also for some folks I know thinking of getting into bitcoin. 

With the current exchange rate and where the difficulty is heading it might be better to wait or just buy bitcoin itself as some are suggesting here. Spend that time learning how to calculate mining profitability if you haven't done so yet. If after 2-4 weeks you see a good opportunity and fully understand the risks - try it. But generally speaking small-scale mining is very unlikely to be profitable these days. More of a hobby perhaps.

Thanks, suchmoon.  Man, that's a bummer because I really like putting my hands on equipment.  It's too bad it can't be more appealing to the average techie such as myself. I'm ditching most of my GPUs and was hoping to find a mining-based alternative.  Looked a little at cloud mining but most of them are scams or don't even have mining equipment. 

bleh  /sadface
Just because it won't be profitable doesn't mean it isn't worth doing. If you like putting your hands on equipment then you might enjoy this hobby. I actually maintain that they will be profitable if you sell your equipment in 5-6 months. It seems most of the calculations on here never factor in a re-capture of capital from selling your used miner, and that seems to tip the scales to profitability, at least for me.
legendary
Activity: 2296
Merit: 1031

bleh  /sadface
Activity: 556
So got my Batch 2 S5 and got it going. Slick, easy setup like the S1 and S3.

But it is loud. I used to run with one S3 sitting on the table next to me. I don't think I'll be able to do that with the S5. I'll have to find another room. That I'm not in. Ever.

I swapped out the fan with an S3 fan and it is better - the whine is gone - but it is still too loud. I did notice a slight amount of dust on the S5 fan indicating it had been "tested" for a while.

At stock 350Mhz, I'm getting 1.175Th pulling 565W at the wall.
I turned down to 300Mhz to try to run it quieter and I'm pulling 485W at the wall with a Gold Seasonic 650W power supply and averaging about 1000Gh.

One thing I do like is that the UI is nice and responsive and appears to have been simplified.
legendary
Activity: 1593
Merit: 1004
If you get more of them check out the S5 manual.  Bitmain now has minerlink at www.minerlink.com.  It will make finding them on your network much easier.  But be patient.  These take longer to boot up / show up on a network than the S3 or S1.

Is that kinda like M's ant-monitor or can you actually change pool settings? I always use Angry IP Scanner to find stuff on my network.

Just for finding the miner on your network. Since the S5 finds its own IP address it can be challenging if you have a busy network. This greatly simplifies it.
legendary
Activity: 1666
Merit: 1185
dogiecoin.com
Would be nice if Bitmain re-introduced the option to ship via / with EMS - I am sure it will be a lot cheaper than UPS (and obviously DHL). I know they are not as fast as the other behemoths, but we'd be selecting them in that knowledge.

I just went to their site and it was listed as an option with UPS and DHL for S3 orders. Should be the same with s5s

You are right, they must have re-ntroduced them lately ..... and they are NOT cheaper than UPS for the C1, so looks like will be the same for the S5. Bummer! Seems UPS are Bitmain's preffered shipper ...

Bitmain, could you register as a VAT collection point for shipments to the EU? Would be nice to pay my VAT with the order and not have to deal with your preffered shipper's (UPS) archaic tax processing methods!

I mean, these guys did not send me an invoice and neither did they notify me nor offer me the opportunity to pay due VAT until the van driver turned up on my door and asked me for either a cheque (yes a check in this day and age!) or to phone their office so I could pay via card before he could hand over my S3+'s!

I'll look into that, thanks. Yes I know how annoying UPS is with import charges, where as DHL does it near perfectly.

I've not been able to find anything related to this - do you have a link to any information?
legendary
Activity: 1666
Merit: 1185
dogiecoin.com
Thank you for the suggestions!  will pass these on to the engineers.  (these changes unfortunately don't happen overnight tho...   Cry )

S5 firmware is being tested tonight, estimated to be online tomorrow or the following day.
will this address the PWM functions of the fan? Would be nice to see a way to manually set the fan, or at least to set a temperature target (at stock, temperatures seem to be targeting 50C or less - setting that to 55C or 60C would drastically reduce the fan speed/noise)

I have suggested this many, many times before. When / whether we will see it implemented is yet to be seen.
legendary
Activity: 4256
Merit: 8551
'The right to privacy matters'
Once comes online, it will let you change the mining pool setting. 

If you get more of them check out the S5 manual.  Bitmain now has minerlink at www.minerlink.com.  It will make finding them on your network much easier.  But be patient.  These take longer to boot up / show up on a network than the S3 or S1.

Is that kinda like M's ant-monitor or can you actually change pool settings? I always use Angry IP Scanner to find stuff on my network.

I am looking forward to seeing that.

I sold off my review unit to a friend that wanted one with no wait.
I ordered one yesterday with the price drop I don't mind fucking around with it trying to get a sound solution that allows for freq 375-412.
I have a few ideas.
donator
Activity: 792
Merit: 510
Once comes online, it will let you change the mining pool setting. 

Activity: 857
Merit: 1000
Anger is a gift.

Jump to: