Author

Topic: ANTMINER S5: 1155GH(+OverClock Potential), In Stock $0.319/GH & 0.51W/GH - page 247. (Read 451048 times)

-ck
legendary
Activity: 4088
Merit: 1631
Ruu \o/
Thanks very much, but a question, do you really mean the binary won't survive a reboot? Or do you mean it won't survive a reset?  My expectation would be a reset!
Reboot. The filesystem on these is usually volatile and read into ram on a reboot. When you write to it it's written only to the ram part. You'd need full firmware (I believe) to write something more permanent.
Activity: 1050
Merit: 377
Here's a quick binary for the S5 based on bitmain's existing code which will ignore any queue parameter, not discard stales, should be able to ramp up smoothly if you find yourself on a very low diff pool, and use a little less CPU:

http://ck.kolivas.org/apps/cgminer/antminer/s5/4.9.0-150105/cgminer

Binaries will only be temporary so will not survive a machine reboot.

The following will change the cgminer binary for you (set the appropriate IP address), the default root password is "admin":

Code:
ssh 192.168.1.x -l root
cd /tmp
wget http://ck.kolivas.org/apps/cgminer/antminer/s5/4.9.0-150105/cgminer
chmod +x cgminer
mv /usr/bin/cgminer /usr/bin/cgminer.bak
cp cgminer /usr/bin
/etc/init.d/cgminer.sh restart

There should be a more comprehensive merge in the future into mainline cgminer, hopefully by Kano. Bitmaintech has provided us both with S5s to support cgminer development.

Thanks very much, but a question, do you really mean the binary won't survive a reboot? Or do you mean it won't survive a reset?  My expectation would be a reset!
-ck
legendary
Activity: 4088
Merit: 1631
Ruu \o/
Here's a quick binary for the S5 based on bitmain's existing code which will ignore any queue parameter, not discard stales, should be able to ramp up smoothly if you find yourself on a very low diff pool, and use a little less CPU:

http://ck.kolivas.org/apps/cgminer/antminer/s5/4.9.0-150105/cgminer

Binaries will only be temporary so will not survive a machine reboot.

The following will change the cgminer binary for you (set the appropriate IP address), the default root password is "admin":

Code:
ssh 192.168.1.x -l root
cd /tmp
wget http://ck.kolivas.org/apps/cgminer/antminer/s5/4.9.0-150105/cgminer
chmod +x cgminer
mv /usr/bin/cgminer /usr/bin/cgminer.bak
cp cgminer /usr/bin
/etc/init.d/cgminer.sh restart

There should be a more comprehensive merge in the future into mainline cgminer, hopefully by Kano. Bitmaintech has provided us both with S5s to support cgminer development.
legendary
Activity: 1358
Merit: 1002
My two S5 will arrive on Wednesday so I was thinking as using my one "Cooler Master Silent Pro 1200W Gold PSU" for both. Will that work? Also whats the difference between Gold & Bronze i.e. which one draws less power?

gold is the better one to use, top notch is platinum :-)
Just tried to order two with BTC to the US.  Couldn't!  Appears to require I enter a mobile phone number, something I neither have nor need/want.  What is this shit?
Issue appears to be resolved.  I'm instructed to enter my "land line" number into the mobile phone number field in order to provide delivery communication.  I gather mobile phone is assumed any more -- guess I'm just old school.
Activity: 22
Merit: 0
My two S5 will arrive on Wednesday so I was thinking as using my one "Cooler Master Silent Pro 1200W Gold PSU" for both. Will that work? Also whats the difference between Gold & Bronze i.e. which one draws less power?
Activity: 35
ANTMINER S5 Price Drop - 15% Discount Off

• Batch 4        $0.295/GH/s
  • Bulk Batch 4  $0.27/GH/s
Shipping on January 12th, You may freely choose the shipping service level with your own wallet  Grin

Coupon
Coupons have been issued to all customers who ordered S5 before price drop   Cheesy

BITMAIN

January 5th, 2015

Its hard not to point out that that is well over 1BTC/TH - a price that was considered competitive at only slightly lower efficiency over a month ago, and when bitcoin prices were almost 50% higher.

Definitely holding off on the hardware orders until price pops back over $400

Same here, BTC price should be above 430 to make a break even!
legendary
Activity: 2128
Merit: 1005
ASIC Wannabe

Shipping on January 12th, You may freely choose the shipping service level with your own wallet  Grin

Coupon
Coupons have been issued to all customers who ordered S5 before price drop   Cheesy

BITMAIN

January 5th, 2015

Its hard not to point out that that is well over 1BTC/TH - a price that was considered competitive at only slightly lower efficiency over a month ago, and when bitcoin prices were almost 50% higher.

Definitely holding off on the hardware orders until price pops back over $400
Just tried to order two with BTC to the US.  Couldn't!  Appears to require I enter a mobile phone number, something I neither have nor need/want.  What is this shit?
Activity: 741
Merit: 514
https://www.bitmain.com

Coupon

BITMAIN

January 5th, 2015
If BTC is now 260-270USD, difficulty seems going up, then S5 for price 401USD + shipping is very overpriced.
I wanted to buy around 30 units, but price have to be  less then 350USD.

I agree, recent price drop make S5 so expensive that it's not worth it anymore.

Which mining hardware is?

you do realize that you are on Antminer S5 thread, right?
grn
Activity: 357
Merit: 252
If BTC is now 260-270USD, difficulty seems going up, then S5 for price 401USD + shipping is very overpriced.

Which mining hardware is?

Activity: 326
Merit: 250
legendary
Activity: 1204
Merit: 1000
Isn't I should use 0.8 on power factor ? Looks like I can't contain 4 miners in 13 Amps socket.

The S5 should allow for you to underclock one miner and dial in the watts to match what you feel is comfortable.

I will know more once mine shows up this week.
Isn't I should use 0.8 on power factor ? Looks like I can't contain 4 miners in 13 Amps socket.
legendary
Activity: 1204
Merit: 1000
Am I confusing myself or it's true that we will never break even with this S5 miner?

I have a space which rents is 180USD/month, including 13 Amps, 220 Volts; Which I consider is the cheapest place I could rent for mining at this moment.

This is my calculation:

Unless BTC priced at 430+, else we would't be profitable at all.

Correct me if I am wrong please.

Its even worst that you think as you have no difficulty increases figured in on your annual number. It looking like a 13% increase just the next one in 7 days
https://bitcoinwisdom.com/bitcoin/difficulty

Edit: on the bright side your cost for electric is better than most as long as you use it all. eg 2800 watts which would be about 4 miners

Activity: 546
Merit: 500
Am I confusing myself or it's true that we will never break even with this S5 miner?

Only factoring in one S5? You could run 4 with the power you have, without increasing the monthly cost (I presume), which makes it a far more attractive proposition.
legendary
Activity: 2744
Merit: 1193
I don't believe in denial.
Am I confusing myself or it's true that we will never break even with this S5 miner? [...]

One answer: that is true.

The other answer: maybe you should consider "amortisation" and the "resale value" in your calculations too...?

I have a space which rents is 180USD/month, including 13 Amps, 220 Volts; Which I consider is the cheapest place I could rent for mining at this moment.

This is my calculation:

https://i.imgur.com/pEmm1ag.jpg

Unless BTC priced at 430+, else we would't be profitable at all.

Correct me if I am wrong please.
Jump to: