Author

Topic: ANTMINER S5: 1155GH(+OverClock Potential), In Stock $0.319/GH & 0.51W/GH - page 248. (Read 451048 times)

legendary
Activity: 1204
Merit: 1000
Just got notice from Bitmain that my Batch 2 have shipped. Things have already changed a lot since I ordered, but am looking forward to receiving the miner.
Activity: 434
Merit: 250
UPDATED http://rgsneddon.thescribe.eu/#post117

My S5 has died in a puff of electrical smoke.

After some investigations yesterday, I have concluded:

my S5 was running along-with an SP20 on a 1600EVGA 80+ gold PSU
cabling was all 14AWG (2 x double headed pci-e cables on S5 and 4 single headed pci-e cables on the SP20 - all 14AWG)
The SP20 was underclocked and pulling only ~700w - the S5 was set at 218FREQ, so was also quite heavily underclocked. There is no way that these were maxing out the PSU capabilities.

One of the cable sockets which was attached to the S5 had melted at the PSU side and the controller board on the S5 is fried.

The miner now powers up but won't send/receive packet data. I can only presume the lan function on the controller is dead.

furthermore: the SP20 is still mining although the GUI is gone and I need to ssh manually start cgminer in terminal/putty to run it.

SP20 recovered but still no GUI. it now mines on reboot with no need to ssh cgminer command.
I'll be recovering the SP20 today, I fear that the only thing that will recover the S5, is a new controller board, but i'm not that technically minded to be able to replace it, so....

S5 is shelved, if anyone thinks they can get it working, feel free to make me an offer on it. I'm sticking with my Spondoolies miners.
legendary
Activity: 3654
Merit: 8909
https://bpip.org
If I had $500 to invest into a bitcoin venture, would this be the best way to go?  Can anyone suggest alternatives or is this the best?  This is sort of for me but also for some folks I know thinking of getting into bitcoin. 

Seems like this is a pretty hot item.  Opinions?  Thank you.

With the current exchange rate and where the difficulty is heading it might be better to wait or just buy bitcoin itself as some are suggesting here. Spend that time learning how to calculate mining profitability if you haven't done so yet. If after 2-4 weeks you see a good opportunity and fully understand the risks - try it. But generally speaking small-scale mining is very unlikely to be profitable these days. More of a hobby perhaps.
alh
legendary
Activity: 1846
Merit: 1052
At this time the best bet is to simply buy bitcoin and hold it. That will most likely yield you the greatest return.

Just make sure you are prepared to hold it. Bitcoin just recently was at $280. If you had bought it a week or two ago, you would have paid more.
legendary
Activity: 1246
Merit: 1024
If I had $500 to invest into a bitcoin venture, would this be the best way to go?  Can anyone suggest alternatives or is this the best?  This is sort of for me but also for some folks I know thinking of getting into bitcoin. 

At this time the best bet is to simply buy bitcoin and hold it. That will most likely yield you the greatest return.
legendary
Activity: 2296
Merit: 1031

Activity: 1050
Merit: 377
Has anyone tried installing a couple S3 fans (push+pull) to see how the noise level is?  Am contemplating an Acrylic drop on cover to keep the air flow in the miner.  A shame they didn't include a plastic one!  My usage would be in-house and excessive noise would be a real issue.  I can see doing some under-clocking, but I wouldn't want to go far in that direction!  Sad
Activity: 574
Merit: 500
Is this the correct link to order S5's from Amazon via Bitmain ?

http://www.amazon.com/AntMiner-S5-~1155Gh-0-51W-Bitcoin/dp/B00RBV2OE6

Notice there is a $100 premium purchasing via Amazon ? Looking to acquire another unit to test extreme underclocking and getting an S5 running quiet enough to run in a bedroom.

Wow, those resellers are lighting quick when it comes to stealing my pictures. That was... 2 days this time? I don't see the Bitmain listing any more, it may have been a test or will resume later.
I thought Amazon automatically groups listings together and uses the same pictures. So if Bitmain or anyone used your pictures Amazon would still have the pictures up.

Why not just put a copyright / watermark on your pictures after you take them. Embed it in the picture.

Bitmain used their own pictures in the initial listing, or had no pictures - I can't remember but mine didn't even exist then. Images are inherently copyrighted unless stated otherwise [granting an open license]. In the only two places they're published, both state that my images are copyrighted. I'm still fighting not water marking stuff because then it ruins them for the other 98% of law abiding citizens.
Watermarks don't need to be large, just enough info and just readable / only readable in a certain way to prove its yours. I bet Amazon would immediately take it down if there was some small text that can only be seen by zooming in very far that showed it belonged to you.

Either way its the internet as soon as you upload it you have to fight to get your rights back.
ZiG
Activity: 406

Notice there is a $100 premium purchasing via Amazon ? Looking to acquire another unit to test extreme underclocking and getting an S5 running quiet enough to run in a bedroom.

Wow, those resellers are lighting quick when it comes to stealing my pictures. That was... 2 days this time? I don't see the Bitmain listing any more, it may have been a test or will resume later.
I thought Amazon automatically groups listings together and uses the same pictures. So if Bitmain or anyone used your pictures Amazon would still have the pictures up.

Why not just put a copyright / watermark on your pictures after you take them. Embed it in the picture.

Bitmain used their own pictures in the initial listing, or had no pictures - I can't remember but mine didn't even exist then. Images are inherently copyrighted unless stated otherwise [granting an open license]. In the only two places they're published, both state that my images are copyrighted. I'm still fighting not water marking stuff because then it ruins them for the other 98% of law abiding citizens.

File a lawsuit against Amazon...  Grin

ZiG
Activity: 51
Merit: 0

Yea I order mine from Bitmain on Amazon for $480. Ordered Dec 27th and received Shipping confirmirmation Dec 31st. I now having tracking info as of yesterday and it looks like they are shipping them out of Kansas City, MO.

Should be here Monday-Tuesday.
legendary
Activity: 1666
Merit: 1185
dogiecoin.com

Activity: 574

legendary
dogiecoin.com
Has anyone bought from Bitmaintech before from the UK. I know you will have to pay VAT 20% on any bitcoin mining equipment but I don't know how to go about doing this?
I really want to buy an S5!  Undecided

You purchase like normal. At some point during delivery, UPS or DHL will tell you there's some VAT to pay. DHL you can pay online in advance (they'll text you), UPS you can pay cash on delivery or call up to pay on the day.
legendary
dogiecoin.com

Activity: 338
Thought my pair of S5's would ship on 08 Jan. but got notice they shipped yesterday (via BitMain on Amazon).

Pretty sure the stuff on amazon is an unofficial reseller.

No, they were official Bitman sales of B2 & B3 (at a small markup.) with the same stated shipping dates.

Yes, my mistake it was supposed to be 04 Jan. (not 08 Jan.) and they ran the money and gave a shipping number on 31 December.  It was though BitMain direct via Amazon.  Paid $480 each before it went up to $530 something and now they're only available via aftermarket sellers (no more BitMain direct).

Interesting.  Label created on 31 Dec., shipped on 02 Jan. from Kansas City, expected delivery date Wednesday.
Activity: 518
Has anyone bought from Bitmaintech before from the UK. I know you will have to pay VAT 20% on any bitcoin mining equipment but I don't know how to go about doing this?
I really want to buy an S5!  Undecided
Go ahead and buy one and the manner you'll be charged VAT / import duty is dependent on the carrier you use.

1. DHL - They'll notify you of the duty due + their handling charges as soon as they get the unit and you can pay via debit / credit card before delivery. In my experience, I paid the invoice on the day I got the notification and received the unit in 2 days.

2. UPS - Just wait for your delivery and have ready at hand either cash (drivers don't like this), a cheque or a debit /credit card to pay your duties + their charges. For the latter, the driver will give you a number to call and make payment. You will be notified of the charges when the delivery reaches your door and only after payment is completed will you get your unit. In my experience, the unit took 5 days.

3. EMS - I have no personal experience from these guys as they have just been re-added for the S5, but I have heard stories that they sometimes "forget" to charge import duties and therefore no handling charges, but I'd err on the side of a UPS'esq service.
Activity: 176
Merit: 100
Depending on the carrier, you will gen an e-mail telling you how much you will need to pay the driver or a website you need to pay at first.
Activity: 1
Merit: 0
legendary
Activity: 4256
Merit: 8551
'The right to privacy matters'

he is not bitmaintech he is a reseller.

how about here via paypal

https://bitcointalksearch.org/topic/paypal-group-buy-antminer-s5-usa-customer-only-480-includes-shipping-906970

this is factory direct.  i think
legendary
Activity: 1652
Merit: 1067
Christian Antkow

Jump to: