Author

Topic: ANTMINER S5: 1155GH(+OverClock Potential), In Stock $0.319/GH & 0.51W/GH - page 251. (Read 451048 times)

Activity: 434
Merit: 250
Well I have decided enough of the fan is too loud and I am now going overclock.

I placed the loud fan back in the original spot opened a window in the bedroom it runs in. The intake air is now about 50f or 10 c

I added a second fan a 3 pin delta the can blow 148 cfm  since it is 3 pin it runs 2800 rpm to 3200 rpm and I put the S-5  at freq 375

the noise is nuts and I won't be able to run this gear with this noise,but many people can run the gear in a shed or a barn and do not care about noise.

this is a 10 minute run at freq 375  very nice numbers

http://imagizer.imageshack.us/v2/1024x768q90/661/gOZWdC.png
mine gave a board of all x's when i tried it at 375  Undecided
legendary
Activity: 4256
Merit: 8551
'The right to privacy matters'
Well I have decided enough of the fan is too loud and I am now going overclock.

I placed the loud fan back in the original spot opened a window in the bedroom it runs in. The intake air is now about 50f or 10 c

I added a second fan a 3 pin delta the can blow 148 cfm  since it is 3 pin it runs 2800 rpm to 3200 rpm and I put the S-5  at freq 375

the noise is nuts and I won't be able to run this gear with this noise,but many people can run the gear in a shed or a barn and do not care about noise.

this is a 10 minute run at freq 375  very nice numbers

watts are 636 at the kwatt

636/1224 = that is .519 watts a gh damn good numbers  it is on an evga 1300 g2  psu.  and part of that is 2 fans vs 1 fan

So what could it run if the room is about -30C or lower?

Condensation, so... 0GH Tongue

Am I right in thinking that your top SP31 is sucking in air from the PSU side, but the SP20s and S5 are doing the opposite and throwing air out?

Doesn't that get a little 'circular' ?

no they are all blowing the same direction

You can quickly remember which way a fan is blowing as they always blow towards their frame.

oot the open door at the front of the garage  Grin
legendary
Activity: 1666
Merit: 1185
dogiecoin.com
not sure i would agree. The temperatures on my unit are just fine, and Im not really concerned at all with the heat of the unit. I run the fan on 5V and aim to have the board temperatures averaging around 60C. With a nearby window cracked slightly an intake of 5C allows me to overclock to 381.25MHz/1255GH without tripping my 612.5W PSU rail (fan is on a 5V rail so that frees up 12W+ for mining). With room-temperature (~20C) intake I have to operate at or slightly under the stock 350MHz.

The plastic sides would likely not deform until a minimum of 100C, and actual melting temp has to be well over 150C, or the temperature that the antminer shuts itself off or would otherwise be failing massively (which nobody has experienced yet).

keep in mind that the SP20 temperature is more air temperature than the board. Asic stats show that the chips are 85C underclocked or up to 125C in normal operation. Antminer chips go into the 75-95C range I believe, and the sensors on it are likely in contact with the hot side of the heatsink. 55-60C is an ideal temperature for the S5, above 65C may spell trouble

that said, 80C is very high, is your garage warm? I found that if you put a cover on the unit air crosses the heatsink instead of blowing out the top around the beaglebone.

Polypropylene is 130C and Polycarbonate is 155C but you're going to need the AIR temperature to get up to that!
legendary
dogiecoin.com

Condensation, so... 0GH Tongue

Am I right in thinking that your top SP31 is sucking in air from the PSU side, but the SP20s and S5 are doing the opposite and throwing air out?

Doesn't that get a little 'circular' ?

no they are all blowing the same direction

You can quickly remember which way a fan is blowing as they always blow towards their frame.
legendary
dogiecoin.com

Overnight, one of the blades curiously went xxxxxx xxxxxxxx xxxxxxxx xxxxxxo running at stock 350 with the temps at 63C. Rebooted and it's working OK again.

Hmmm.....I got back from New Years Eve celebrations earlier and noticed the same thing with mine, but all X's. They all came back after a reboot also, but it is a little worrying..... Tongue  Anyone else had this?

EDIT: Also at stock freq with temps @ 65.
that's alarming...

There is a known firmware bug where one module drops out but both still display as mining and temperatures fixed. This may be the same bug and will be fixed in the next one. And yes, its very much firmware.
Activity: 39
Merit: 0
Just curious, how do you manage that temperature?

they will be in an uninsulated garage which is rather drafty in Canada. and here it is common to get temps below -30C or even lower without a windchill.  so the room will easily reach those temps soon.

I have 6 S4's running there now and they don't even pass 40C with the fans running slow
update. S5 now clocked to 300 and running <1TH/s. temps are good as the garage door is open

legendary
Activity: 2030
Merit: 1076
BTCLife.global participant
Oh, that's what we have just beside the window. )
Activity: 918
Merit: 1002
Just curious, how do you manage that temperature?
Activity: 39
Merit: 0
legendary
Activity: 3892
Merit: 4331
Testing out a theory that board temps <60C is required for stable performance.

Have mine overclocked to 375 and running @ 55-58C for about 6 hours now with no problems.

Tinkering and testing continues...

Sissy. 375 @ 68C for 30 hrs and counting...

somebody has to push the envelope... Grin
legendary
Activity: 3878
Merit: 1193

Have mine overclocked to 375 and running @ 55-58C for about 6 hours now with no problems.

Sissy. 375 @ 68C for 30 hrs and counting...
legendary
mine has been stable with fan mods and underclock to 325. in a fairly cool room.

yeah if you use the stock fan as a push and add a loud fast  pull fan you can do  387 to 406. staying close to 60c in a cool room

Insanely loud close to 78db.

which means testing overclocks  while the wife takes a shower so I don't have her complain about the noise.

If you have a cold place and loudness is not an issue the stock will run close to 4000rpm add a fast delta as a pull and good over clocks will work.

I used the stock to push running at 4000 rpm the 3 pin 148 cfm delta to pull at 3000 rpm.  this setup could do 406 freq in a fairly cool room.  If you had a cold room I think the unit could clock to 412-425.
legendary
Activity: 2128
Merit: 1005
ASIC Wannabe
12hr average at eligius is between 1.23-1.25TH, miner has a fairly cool intake and a top shroud made of packing tape.

Might re-think your confidence in sp20 safety, apparently they are at risk of causing electrical fire!
Not my thread, I'll be quick. Using the SP20 with quality rated cables is perfectly safe.
We have thousands SP20s in the wild and it's the second reported instance. The first instance was confirmed as connector issue.

and i have quality rated cables on all of my miners, with a view to see if there may be something which could cause an issue - like an overheated string of ASICs.
meh.
legendary
Activity: 1652
Merit: 1067
Christian Antkow
mine has been stable with fan mods and underclock to 325. in a fairly cool room.

legendary

Overnight, one of the blades curiously went xxxxxx xxxxxxxx xxxxxxxx xxxxxxo running at stock 350 with the temps at 63C. Rebooted and it's working OK again.

Hmmm.....I got back from New Years Eve celebrations earlier and noticed the same thing with mine, but all X's. They all came back after a reboot also, but it is a little worrying..... Tongue  Anyone else had this?

Loud fans and now this... Waiting on my S5 to show up but someday I will learn not to order from the first couple of batches like I did this time and in the past.

legendary
Activity: 1204
Merit: 1000

Hmmm.....I got back from New Years Eve celebrations earlier and noticed the same thing with mine, but all X's. They all came back after a reboot also, but it is a little worrying..... Tongue  Anyone else had this?

Loud fans and now this... Waiting on my S5 to show up but someday I will learn not to order from the first couple of batches like I did this time and in the past.
Activity: 672
Merit: 500

Hmmm.....I got back from New Years Eve celebrations earlier and noticed the same thing with mine, but all X's. They all came back after a reboot also, but it is a little worrying..... Tongue  Anyone else had this?

that's alarming...
Jump to: