Author

Topic: ANTMINER S5: 1155GH(+OverClock Potential), In Stock $0.319/GH & 0.51W/GH - page 254. (Read 451048 times)

legendary
Activity: 1652
Merit: 1067
Christian Antkow
Does anyone know what a reasonable max temperature these guys could be running at ?

Is 70C way too hot ? Trying to keep them under 65C right now, but would be good to officially know the range.

Also, found a bug. Changing the frequency resets "Beeper ringing" to it's default checked state.
Activity: 338
Merit: 250
It saves an alarming amount of weight by opening up the top and bottom, as well as replacing out the metallic sides. The S5 is a total lightweight compared to the S3. And that means less steel being shipped round the world.
Replacing out the metalic cover with a plastic /perspex one sure saves weight, but how much weight would a plastic / perspex top and bottom add to the overall weight of the S5? (rhetorical question so you don't have to answer 'cause I know it is insignificant)
+1. while a bottom isnt really necessary (but whats $1 of plastic that weighs 60g?) a top would definitely improve airflow. Ive seen an improvement in temperatures but putting a few clear strips of tape over the top to improve the wind tunneling, and a top cover is only $2 or less of sheet plastic like the sides. huge improvement over the tanky S3

The bottom is kind of important if you stack them on their side.
legendary
Activity: 1022
Merit: 1010
Im not an electrician, but this is an example of 1 of the panel breakdowns. Just for the person who said my claim seemed suspect. This is one of many panels throughout the facility.

Activity: 1050
Merit: 377
To continue...(if you know your tank facts...with nothing else to do):
1. S1 is Mark V (WWI)
2. S3 is a "Tiger" (heavy)
3. S5 is T34? or will be due to vast numbers produced
4. SP20 is M3 "Lee" (light, maneuverable=adjustable)
5. SP30, 31, 35-Merkava (different time period), not WWII
Unfamiliar with the Merkava, but I do appreciate tanks!  Interesting to see a Soviet product suggested, they made utilitarian and affordable tanks -- much better in the mud than the Panzer divisions.  Smiley
legendary
i cant understand why this company keeps releasing miners that wont make a return?HuhHuh?

This Difficulty
   Coins   Dollars
per Day   0.01429241 BTC   $4.56
per Week   0.10004684 BTC   $31.90
per Month   0.43502511 BTC   $138.72
this diff (est)   0.17113370 BTC   $54.57

Next Difficulty [estimated]
   Coins   Dollars
per Day   0.01322709 BTC   $4.22
per Week   0.09258961 BTC   $29.52

Free AC makes a huge difference. We run an ASIC farm and were lucky in that we negotiated 1600 AMPs of power included in our lease, years before we got into (or before BTC even existed).

So I think it really just depends on your situation. For the average Joe who pays regular rates for AC, mining is not a game to get into.

Strato
Jesus, 1600A of what, 600V 3Φ?

Mostly 110 20 amp with 20 amp recepticles (orange grounded T), but the core room is mostly 3-phase 220 and we have distros. The building is 11,000 sq feet, 2 levels, so the panels are broken up, for instance a single upstairs panel has 30 20amp 110s, and some 15amps + a 2 3 phase (I believe 60 amps)/30a/220.  We're a film production facility so it's built to draw lots of power for studio lighting, edit suites with large workstations, etc. The 1600 is in addition to the AC breakers - not sure what those are, I believe they are 480v.

When we signed the 10 year lease 6 years ago - no the owner I don't think had any idea we would be mining bitcoin and drawing that kind of power 24/7. But it's written into the lease, and we insisted all copy from the lease be struck regarding "reasonable use", simply because I didnt trust that language. We said the only way we would sign is full service, not triple net - meaning power, taxes, cleaning, everything - is included under 1 flat monthly payment with a 3% increase in our lease payment every 12 months.

That said - 6 years later, we've built out quite the farm... Lots and lots of S3+s,  just ordered last week 24 of the new S5 units from Bitmain, and we've got roughly 60 280x cards, and 40 270x cards - currently not running simply because we shut them down when alts started to become to much chase and not enough profit. We've considered either turning them back on or liquidating off the cards and mobos, psus, and cpus. Its amazing how timeconsuming the rigs are - anyone who thinks running that many gpu rigs is simply set up and run should think twice and run. It was a constant hassle of one issue or another every other day - pool down, frozen computer, hardware errors, etc.

So who knows. If we strike them back up our landlord will be less happy.

On the bright side I think our landlord understands that we are making money - and paying our rent on time every month. And it's not is place to say how we do it. We could just the same turn the studio into a 24/7 news outlet with a main studio and multiple inserts - drawing likely just as much juice - but who wants that hassle Wink  In closing - our landlord is well in the profit from our lease - our monthly rent is $27,000... so while he does roll his eyes when he sees them running we've convinced him keeping us in the green is good for all parties.

Strato
legendary
Activity: 3892
Merit: 4331
It saves an alarming amount of weight by opening up the top and bottom, as well as replacing out the metallic sides. The S5 is a total lightweight compared to the S3. And that means less steel being shipped round the world.
Replacing out the metalic cover with a plastic /perspex one sure saves weight, but how much weight would a plastic / perspex top and bottom add to the overall weight of the S5? (rhetorical question so you don't have to answer 'cause I know it is insignificant)
+1. while a bottom isnt really necessary (but whats $1 of plastic that weighs 60g?) a top would definitely improve airflow. Ive seen an improvement in temperatures but putting a few clear strips of tape over the top to improve the wind tunneling, and a top cover is only $2 or less of sheet plastic like the sides. huge improvement over the tanky S3

To continue...(if you know your tank facts...with nothing else to do):
1. S1 is Mark V (WWI)
2. S3 is a "Tiger" (heavy)
3. S5 is T34? or will be due to vast numbers produced
4. SP20 is M3 "Lee" (light, maneuverable=adjustable)
5. SP30, 31, 35-Merkava (different time period), not WWII
legendary
Activity: 2128
Merit: 1005
ASIC Wannabe
Activity: 518
Merit: 500

newbs don't want to see the machine "insides", but if you want to grow business, you have to sell to them as well. it is pure psychology/marketing.
make a cheap plastic top, then explain that top might or should be taken off during operation.
Actually, I think bitmain got this a bit wrong, but the good thing with them is that they listen to ideas (and test them out).

In the shape the S5 ships, it is NOT very well suited to home mining, but then again they had to be competitive pricewise so I think they tried to gain efficiencies with the cooling system they deployed on the S5 and by reducing weight and components, but ended up with a product that is neither well suited to home mining nor very well suited to commercial mining (the latter due to its lack of stack-ability!).

Having said that, the S5 can be made a lot quieter by replacing the stock fan with a quieter PWM one OR reducing the voltage to the stock fan with a resistor; you'll then need to add a second pull fan, and possibly have the top and bottom closed off.
Come to think about it, bitmain could engage a partner (similar to their liquid cooling one) to offer S5 to home upgrade / downgrade kits (whatever that qualifies as) after testing that include a pair of quiter fans + top / bottom covers (Not really worried about the covers as I can use card-board). Of-course, that depends on the longevity of the product line.
legendary
Activity: 3892
Merit: 4331
If only S5 was in the same case like SP20... Or like S3...

personally, i don't care, but closed case looks more 'retailish', I agree.

newbs don't want to see the machine "insides", but if you want to grow business, you have to sell to them as well. it is pure psychology/marketing.
make a cheap plastic top, then explain that top might or should be taken off during operation.
Activity: 798
Merit: 531
Crypto is King.
To answer the question of 'why do people keep buying this hardware?', I present you with

The Top 10 Reasons Why People Still Purchase Miners

10. Alt-coins
9. consistent BTC influx, which bitcoin has proven price spikes. = HOARD until you get to your profit point.
8. Hoarding BTC for the end of the world
7. Hoarding BTC for their loved ones
6. FUN HOBBY
5. Tinkering with electronics - guy stuff and (some) girls
4. Free electricity so it pays to mine
3. Realizing if they only 'make my money back' that it was worth the adventure because you are now part of the new monetary open source world while contributing to the blockchain, community, and population
2. sticking it to the man while not getting stuck by the man

aaaaannnnnddddd the #1 reason why people keep spending their money on miners......

1. Need something to do bc the wife won't stop shopping and spending all his money so why not throw it away into something that might get a little bit of a return and not hang in a closet for 2 years with the tag on it!

Activity: 556
i cant understand why this company keeps releasing miners that wont make a return?HuhHuh?

This Difficulty
   Coins   Dollars

Coins   Dollars

Free AC makes a huge difference. We run an ASIC farm and were lucky in that we negotiated 1600 AMPs of power included in our lease, years before we got into (or before BTC even existed).

So I think it really just depends on your situation. For the average Joe who pays regular rates for AC, mining is not a game to get into.

Strato
Yeah, that lease is suspect, one of you got or could get screwed. Amps is current (not power), so you could increase voltage and then tranform it down and multiply your amperage after the meter. 1600A of 10KV would give you 16MW of power.
legendary
Activity: 1274
Merit: 1004
S5 Question - possibly noob question apologies if this has been covered.

"PSU: A power supply unit is not included, and you will need to provide an ATX PSU. There are 4 PCI-e connectors for +12V DC input and all four are required. Do not connect more than one PSU to the same hashing board."

A CX500M has two PCI-E plugs. True or false, a single S5 could be powered by two 500W PSUs as long as you don't cross streams. One PSU per board.

I have a number of Corsair PSU's, several with enough power and enough PCI-E plugs to run an S5. As I have a number of lower power PSUs that only have 2x PCI-E outs, can I utilize two PSUs to run a single S5?
Would you be able to mix and match PSU cables if you have a dimesional door and Marshmallow Man around to absorb the energy?

Is that... is that a ghostbusters reference?
Hey, I didn't start it. Pokey's the one who wanted to make sure people didn't cross the streams.
legendary
Activity: 1274
Merit: 1004

This Difficulty
   Coins   Dollars

Coins   Dollars

Strato
legendary
Activity: 1666
Merit: 1185
dogiecoin.com
If only S5 was in the same case like SP20... Or like S3...

personally, i don't care, but closed case looks more 'retailish', I agree.

legendary
Activity: 1666
Merit: 1185
dogiecoin.com
S5 Question - possibly noob question apologies if this has been covered.

"PSU: A power supply unit is not included, and you will need to provide an ATX PSU. There are 4 PCI-e connectors for +12V DC input and all four are required. Do not connect more than one PSU to the same hashing board."

A CX500M has two PCI-E plugs. True or false, a single S5 could be powered by two 500W PSUs as long as you don't cross streams. One PSU per board.

I have a number of Corsair PSU's, several with enough power and enough PCI-E plugs to run an S5. As I have a number of lower power PSUs that only have 2x PCI-E outs, can I utilize two PSUs to run a single S5?
Would you be able to mix and match PSU cables if you have a dimesional door and Marshmallow Man around to absorb the energy?

Is that... is that a ghostbusters reference?
legendary

This Difficulty
   Coins   Dollars

Coins   Dollars

Strato
Activity: 18
Merit: 0
[...] this means you need an ip scan program.  I think angry ip or advanced ip are still good for windows.

http://angryip.org/

http://www.advanced-ip-scanner.com/

I am running my home on macs so I am no longer sure if the 2 above are still good links

What do you use on Mac OS X for that purpose?

You can always just look at the DHCP leases on your router and get it from there.

A lot of people don't know how to do that, or have crappy ISP modems as their gateway that just give MAC and IP; just trying to help the newbies.
Activity: 378
Because people keep buying them and they make money?
Why does everyone insist that this company (or any other) change their pricing to suit them? Either buy it or don't. Your purchase or lack of purchase is how you vote on their decisions.

well good luck to them in life
Activity: 556
Because people keep buying them and they make money?
Why does everyone insist that this company (or any other) change their pricing to suit them? Either buy it or don't. Your purchase or lack of purchase is how you vote on their decisions.
Activity: 378

This Difficulty
   Coins   Dollars

Coins   Dollars
Jump to: