Pages:
Author

Topic: ANTMINER S5: 1155GH(+OverClock Potential), In Stock $0.319/GH & 0.51W/GH - page 6. (Read 450930 times)

legendary
Activity: 1736
Merit: 1006
The credentials are root/admin in ssh, you may want to try these as they're the default.

That got it, thanks!  Is it the same on the S1/S3?  I can't remember from when I ssh to them last.

I'll be curious to see if/how this affects performance.  After the reboot the api is reporting 100GH/s less than before, but I know bitmain's fork was suspect as to the numbers it would report...  I'll let it run for a while and see where it stabilizes.

**Edit - hash crept its way back up and stabilized at 1.29TH, just like with 4.8.0, but the error rate is lower than with the older bitmain fork, so hurray for improvements!
the s5 is read only file system. did you make a new july rom with 4.9.0 in it?

i know NH has one but its the 4/15 firmware not the 7/15
Activity: 767
Merit: 500
i wondered, if i got a S5, laid the 2 boards down (open them up like a book) with a 200mm fan over the top of the sinks, would it run cooler? does the other side need some air movement to be happy? other then the LM75As are there..

or is that a good question?

im going to hunt out some PWM 200mm fans and test this theory of mine...
legendary
Activity: 1274
Merit: 1000
The credentials are root/admin in ssh, you may want to try these as they're the default.

That got it, thanks!  Is it the same on the S1/S3?  I can't remember from when I ssh to them last.

I'll be curious to see if/how this affects performance.  After the reboot the api is reporting 100GH/s less than before, but I know bitmain's fork was suspect as to the numbers it would report...  I'll let it run for a while and see where it stabilizes.

**Edit - hash crept its way back up and stabilized at 1.29TH, just like with 4.8.0, but the error rate is lower than with the older bitmain fork, so hurray for improvements!
zOU
Activity: 728
★ these are stars ★

They differ from the UI.

Good luck
legendary
When I try to ssh into my S5 and it asks for the password I input it, but it says access denied.  I know the password is correct, I log into the gui just fine with it.  Any idea why I can't ssh in successfully?
Activity: 360
Merit: 120
It is a decoupling capacitor for that node in the ASIC chain. Unfortunately if it has de-soldered this is probably because it has overheated, so it may be damaged as may be the ASIC's on that stage? One of the problems with a String design is that many faults can cause a one down all down situation.

Rich
Thanks.
This is not cause of overheating. this was happen because of bad shipment.

OK well that is good news, as you can resolder and it should be ok. You will need a fairly watty iron because of the heatsing effect of the copper on the circuit board.

Rich
Thanks for help.
Activity: 588
It is a decoupling capacitor for that node in the ASIC chain. Unfortunately if it has de-soldered this is probably because it has overheated, so it may be damaged as may be the ASIC's on that stage? One of the problems with a String design is that many faults can cause a one down all down situation.

Rich
Thanks.

OK well that is good news, as you can resolder and it should be ok. You will need a fairly watty iron because of the heatsing effect of the copper on the circuit board.

Rich

Rich
Thanks.

Rich
Sorry for my English.
What is this piece in antminer s5 board:

Is this a Capacitor? One of these are detached from my antiminer board's.
I thought  i must have just one x from the chain but it doesn't hashing at all.
Activity: 457
Merit: 273
The heatsink mod is only any good if the sensor is working. Personally I would not do it as the temp sensor is already quite removed from what you actually want to measure which is the ASIC core temperature, this just isolates it even further from that.

Rich
zOU
Activity: 728
★ these are stars ★
I have a S5 which sensors just keep going up and up and up, start at same temp from the other board and after a day or two its 20c higher. Laser thermometer says every chips are cool and i dont see any hot spot.

Anyone has a picture of the board that show where the sensor is? IIRC i can put thermal paste on it for the temp to go down? Maybe i'd get more leeway if its not 100% broken.

Temp sensor IC is the one right in the middle with 8 legs, U1 - LM75A .

Rich

check this:

Annoyed by the constant surging and whine of the fan on S5 ?,
Put small heatsinks on the two temperature sensor chips LM57A(8 pin chip at the center of the hashing boards)

Heatsink on the Temp sensor chip will lower fan speed to default low ~2.2Krpm.
 Do it for both the hashing boards and enjoy peace and quiet Smiley

Thanks, in lieu of this information, i lasered the sensors exactly. The top of the chips are one side 35C, other side 40C. Sound like a normal temp difference. I think its safe to assume the sensor is busted? (Software read 52C and 78C)

I dont think pasting it will do anything since its so cold. Maybe disable the over 80C overheat protection? Or is there a better trick?

Have you tried plugging / replugging the data connector to the controller board, and then swapping the 2 boards to confirm that it is the sensor that is faulty rather than the connections to the sensor chip?

Rich
legendary
Activity: 1302
Merit: 1068
I have a S5 which sensors just keep going up and up and up, start at same temp from the other board and after a day or two its 20c higher. Laser thermometer says every chips are cool and i dont see any hot spot.

Anyone has a picture of the board that show where the sensor is? IIRC i can put thermal paste on it for the temp to go down? Maybe i'd get more leeway if its not 100% broken.

http://www.slotforum.com/forums/uploads/1439724411/gallery_2150_2322_641456.jpg

Rich

Thanks, in lieu of this information, i lasered the sensors exactly. The top of the chips are one side 35C, other side 40C. Sound like a normal temp difference. I think its safe to assume the sensor is busted? (Software read 52C and 78C)

I dont think pasting it will do anything since its so cold. Maybe disable the over 80C overheat protection? Or is there a better trick?

Rich
legendary
Activity: 1302
Merit: 1068

I had no success with the Nicehash firmware on my S5 so I just use the latest Bitmain release. Have had no problem with the S5 switching in and out of Nicehash, sometimes it happens 4 or 5 times a day without problem.
I thought you had to use the NH firware to set your miner up for rental at their site?  I've thought about setting mine up as a rental but I didn't want to use their firmware so I passed.

Nothing special is needed, all firmwares will work. There is a very small gain if you set the extranonce subscription but it's not esential and I have found setting it on my S5 causes problems when you want to set a value above which you want your miner to use nicehash, so I do not use it.

Rich
legendary
I had no success with the Nicehash firmware on my S5 so I just use the latest Bitmain release. Have had no problem with the S5 switching in and out of Nicehash, sometimes it happens 4 or 5 times a day without problem.
I thought you had to use the NH firware to set your miner up for rental at their site?  I've thought about setting mine up as a rental but I didn't want to use their firmware so I passed.
legendary
Activity: 1456

yes there are a few but generally multipools arent very good because you may mine with the coin is up, but the pool auto sells those coins so it may sell them cheaper then you would want. plus i think the bots just dump the coins in the bids so if they have many miners the price goes down as the coin is mined.

here is a link to a few
https://poolpicker.eu/reviews?order=rating&algo=sha-256
some dont work anymore.. :/

Yes I wondered if that would be the case, but will take a look. The one thing that does work for me, and I guess a lot of other people use it, is to set a value of Bitcoin on Nicehash as your first pool so that it get's mined above a certain value. If this feature existed for other SHA-256 coins then you could just list each of them with a value in your miner configuration screen and have it switch that way?

Rich

i dont think such a pool exists.. NH is nice because you can often make above btc value per GH, but you arent actually mining for yourself. you just get paid what the site is making on rentals.

also NH jams up the s5s. so if you put it as the first one and your price gets met for a few minutes, you may have to restart the s5 to get it to start mining again once it goes lower. mine just sat idle.
they have special firmware for the s5, but its outdated and it has that internet loss bug that stops the fans.. so if you lose internet your s5 may or may not blow up..

what i been doing is mining DGC for a few days, get about 500 of them.. then switch to PPC..
it takes awhile to dump 500 DGC on bittrex because you cant just throw them in the bids or the coin will crash. figure out what the good profit point is and stick there, just make asks and leave them.

PPC hit a spike on btc-e today, so i sold mine for a nice profit of almost 50c each..

edit, seems bittrex also had a nice buy spike and my dgc sold.. nice..

I had no success with the Nicehash firmware on my S5 so I just use the latest Bitmain release. Have had no problem with the S5 switching in and out of Nicehash, sometimes it happens 4 or 5 times a day without problem. Yes I have been mining peercoin for a Week or so but have not yet come up with a simple way of deciding what to mine when or when to sell the coins so I do not think I have been doing very well out of it. So have left Nicehash set at 0.0035 and then bw.com as the second pool while I think about what to do. What I should do of course  is sell the S5's while they still have some value.....

Rich

i do like the idea of NH.. i do not like or support their 3% fee..
they charge both the miners and the buyers a 3% fee.. so they take 6% off the top.

its really greedy.. and its NO risk to them, as they get paid directly from the buyers.. they dont rely on finding blocks like normal pools do.

they should really not charge a fee for the miners at all.. as the miners are supporting their site.. which doesnt always turn a higher profit then btc directly, so lots of times miners are mining at a loss.

There was points when they got MUCH higher profits then normal mining.  I could see certain times in past when 6 percent was possibly fair to charge.  Were talking a while ago though....  people just don't seem to be renting and for as much as they did.

I would agree these day's if they went down in fee would be a good thing.  I think they should base fee on percent above normal mining.  So if like right 3 percent above normal on sha256... they should adjust to a lower rate.  But I can see as a business why they don't.  And they are the best out there as far as renting (i think personally) so I can see a premium for that to.
Pages:
Jump to: