Author

Topic: ANTMINER S7 is available at bitmaintech.com with 4.86TH/s, 0.25J/GH - page 256. (Read 527809 times)

legendary
Activity: 1302
Merit: 1318
Technical Analyst/Trader
I'm beginning to wonder if you have a 300 amp breaker thrown in a main panel rated for 200 amps.  Also, when you say, "All on 120V," are you using 2 pole or single pole breakers for your rigs?
Isn't a 200 amp main at 240 volts? So it would be 400 amps at 120v?
Use both legs on each breaker 200 amps max
One leg on each breaker 400 amps max
Same power/wattage either way
[/quote]

I can agree with the 200 amps on each pole for a total of 400 amps combined.  However, the main breaker is designed to trip IF EITHER POLE exceeds 200 Amps; not both.
Activity: 687
Merit: 511
I ordered 7x Batch 3's on Oct 14th and they hit customs today, should be here in a few more days...
Activity: 575
Merit: 500

You have too many conflicting statements, Sir.  It's so confusing that I don't know what you are trying to imply anymore.  It's just not possible to pull 32,000 watts at 120 volts (266 amps) through a 200 amp breaker UNLESS the breaker is defective.  

OK, believe what you will.  I do know several "licensed" electricians and had one confirm with me today, after these exchanges, that it is Per Phase on the Main - not total.
So each phase can be loaded with 80% load and the main will not trip as they are out of phase and not an addition of current.

Here is a list of miners and wattage that I am currently using - all at 120V.  They alone are exceeding 200A in power usage -

13 x s7's = 15730 WATTS

8 x s5's = 4720 WATTS
1 x S4 = 1400 WATTS
3 x A2 @ 88 = 2250 WATTS
4 x A2 @ 110 = 4000 WATTS

TOTAL WATTS = 28100 @ 120v = 234A

The only 240V circuits being used are 1) Stove - 2) Water Heater.
Even with the miner loads, I'm still able to use all sorts of other electricity - IE this computer - a couple 1000 Watt gaming machines, a 200 Watt Laser Cutter, air compressors, electric drills, radios, garbage disposal, hair dryers (when gf needs),  and charge my Chevy Volt.

You are saying this is impossible, unless defective - seems to be working.

I'm beginning to wonder if you have a 300 amp breaker thrown in a main panel rated for 200 amps.  Also, when you say, "All on 120V," are you using 2 pole or single pole breakers for your rigs?

Since we are talking power, any way to take two 20A 120v dedicated outlets and make them 240V externally? I don't have access to the panel and only the outlets, but each is dedicated on its own 20A breaker. Just asking, probably not, but worth a shot.
Activity: 575
Merit: 500
Back to topic.  My batch 2 comes tomorrow.

Orders on 2 and 3 are done. 

so if you ordered on the 21st of oct or later have you received shipping info?

I still have 4  X S7 pending shipment, 2 from 10/16 that were batch 2, 1 on the 22nd batch 3 and 1 on the 23rd batch 2. No shipping info yet. I have only received my 2 Batch 1 from 9/8.
legendary
Activity: 1456
Merit: 1000
For those wondering if the firmware fixes the issue with not having internet access potentially frying a s7, I can confirm it. My father-in-law was watching my kids today and was having issues with the wireless on one of my Roku boxes. He arbitrarily started setting static ip addresses and knocked two of my seven s7's offline about five hours ago. Both had the new firmware luckily, but one of my seven did not. I killed the port on the juniper switch with the one that had the old firmware and the fan crawled to an idle, so I can confirm beyond a reasonable doubt that the new firmware keeps the fan at a very high idle if there is no internet connection.

I asked him what time he messed with the addresses on the Roku and it was five hours ago. On both of the ones he knocked off before finding a non-reserved IP they were both beeping very loudly, but the fans were spinning at a high rpm. During my test on the one with the old firmware the fan was barely spinning, so for the father-in-law variable the last one is updated now. Hard resetting them both allowed them to recover, luckily I am anal and log dhcp assignment and errors to syslog. It only took me a little while to figure out that he picked addresses that were in my reserved dhcp exclusion range.....

Neither auto-reconnected, which I find to be an interesting design flaw or bug.

Sigh!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

Ufo

Thanks for the information, Sir.  Much appreciated!  Glad I updated to new firmware then.  Can keep fan on auto and not worry if internet goes out a while.  I normally don't do firmware updates but I think this one is worth it.

The people that hard code their fan settings low on purpose on the original firmware may be in for a nasty surprise. :/

Ufo

I think hard coding fan level to less is asking for trouble in most cases.  And doing it voids warranty...... so expensive machine to void warranty on.  So I'm honestly surprised some do it at all.

It's almost to the point you need a area to put loud miners.  It makes your life so much easier then trying to battle noise.
Activity: 182
Merit: 100
For those wondering if the firmware fixes the issue with not having internet access potentially frying a s7, I can confirm it. My father-in-law was watching my kids today and was having issues with the wireless on one of my Roku boxes. He arbitrarily started setting static ip addresses and knocked two of my seven s7's offline about five hours ago. Both had the new firmware luckily, but one of my seven did not. I killed the port on the juniper switch with the one that had the old firmware and the fan crawled to an idle, so I can confirm beyond a reasonable doubt that the new firmware keeps the fan at a very high idle if there is no internet connection.

I asked him what time he messed with the addresses on the Roku and it was five hours ago. On both of the ones he knocked off before finding a non-reserved IP they were both beeping very loudly, but the fans were spinning at a high rpm. During my test on the one with the old firmware the fan was barely spinning, so for the father-in-law variable the last one is updated now. Hard resetting them both allowed them to recover, luckily I am anal and log dhcp assignment and errors to syslog. It only took me a little while to figure out that he picked addresses that were in my reserved dhcp exclusion range.....

Ufo

Thanks for the information, Sir.  Much appreciated!  Glad I updated to new firmware then.  Can keep fan on auto and not worry if internet goes out a while.  I normally don't do firmware updates but I think this one is worth it.

The people that hard code their fan settings low on purpose on the original firmware may be in for a nasty surprise. :/

Ufo
legendary
Activity: 1260
Merit: 1006
Mine for a Bit

Just October 12 shipped.
October 17 and October 21 no.

10/18 Unshipped
10/24 Unshipped
10/25 Unshipped
legendary
Activity: 3892
Merit: 4331
Back to topic.  My batch 2 comes tomorrow.

no shipping on Oct 16 B2 order
no shipping on B2 oct 22 order
I am starting to slowly getting wound up about it.

I missed most of the day today because of stupid comcast blackout, so maybe it was discussed at length already, but here are my 2satoshis about internet disconnect issue:

1. I confirm that manual setting of fan alleviate the internet disconnect problem as fan stayed up during the disconnect. Incidentally, If you don't have this data yet, any setting between 90 and 65% gave me exactly the same fan speed, which is weird, i know. So, i set it up at 80% arbitrarily as I don't care about sound due to my igloo-like S7 isolation.
2. during disconnect miner was beeping, but fan was at the same speed.
3. I kept miner powered and took measurements as soon as it was reachable. Board temp were in the 40-44C-fully safe (normally they run at 54-55 for me)
Cheers
Activity: 266
Merit: 250

I ordered on 18th Oct - & no, no shipping info.

I did however manage to finally get a response from someone at bitmain, Yoshi:

Miners are shipping this week and next week.....

..but no answer as to why batch 2 are being shipped after batch 3 or what compensation is being offered. So, it's entirely possible that I might not get my order for another 2 - 3 weeks!.

Pretty diabolical  Angry
Activity: 770
Merit: 523

Just October 12 shipped.
October 17 and October 21 no.
legendary
Activity: 4256
Merit: 8551
'The right to privacy matters'

Activity: 770
Merit: 523

You have too many conflicting statements, Sir.  It's so confusing that I don't know what you are trying to imply anymore.  It's just not possible to pull 32,000 watts at 120 volts (266 amps) through a 200 amp breaker UNLESS the breaker is defective.  

OK, believe what you will.  I do know several "licensed" electricians and had one confirm with me today, after these exchanges, that it is Per Phase on the Main - not total.
So each phase can be loaded with 80% load and the main will not trip as they are out of phase and not an addition of current.

Here is a list of miners and wattage that I am currently using - all at 120V.  They alone are exceeding 200A in power usage -

13 x s7's = 15730 WATTS

8 x s5's = 4720 WATTS
1 x S4 = 1400 WATTS
3 x A2 @ 88 = 2250 WATTS

Even with the miner loads, I'm still able to use all sorts of other electricity - IE this computer - a couple 1000 Watt gaming machines, a 200 Watt Laser Cutter, air compressors, electric drills, radios, garbage disposal, hair dryers (when gf needs),  and charge my Chevy Volt.

legendary
Technical Analyst/Trader

13 x s7's = 15730 WATTS
8 x s5's = 4720 WATTS
1 x S4 = 1400 WATTS
3 x A2 @ 88 = 2250 WATTS

I'm beginning to wonder if you have a 300 or 400 amp breaker thrown in a main panel rated for 200 amps.  Also, when you say, "All on 120V," are you using 2 pole or single pole breakers for your rigs?

I had more equipment than you have at one time [A total of 44 rigs, consisting of 18 x S3's, 5 x S4's, 6 x S5's and 15 x SP20's].  Yet, I could not run all my rigs at the same time with the clothes dryer and stove/oven on at the same time.  I could only run one at a time (dryer or stove/oven).  Otherwise, the main breaker would trip.  And this was with all of my rigs on 240 Volts on a 200 amp main panel.  You are basically saying your 120 Volt provides more power than my 240 volts.

One or the other is going on:  Either you have a main service panel with a breaker much higher than 200 amps; you have a main breaker that is defective and absolutely will not trip; or you are lying.
Activity: 47
Merit: 0
Greetings,

I just received my Batch 1 S7's today.
Hardware error seems to be very high, I have no idea what might cause this.
I bought hp atsn 7001133-y000 2250W power supplies, one of them runs one S5 and one S7,
it should be more than enough, the temperature in the room is around 22-23 degrees.
(the S7's report 49-50 degrees)
I know the timeframe is not too big, but the S7's hardware errors are 3.45%, 2.05% and 0.31%
as of this moment (in 2 hours running). I do not count the errors coming up right after bootup.
Can the PSU cause this? I cannot think of anything else. And if it can, why?
I am grateful for any ideas, this is very sad...
Activity: 106
Merit: 10

OK, believe what you will.  I do know several "licensed" electricians and had one confirm with me today, after these exchanges, that it is Per Phase on the Main - not total.

Here is a list of miners and wattage that I am currently using - all at 120V.  They alone are exceeding 200A in power usage -

13 x s7's = 15730 WATTS
8 x s5's = 4720 WATTS
1 x S4 = 1400 WATTS
3 x A2 @ 88 = 2250 WATTS

Even with the miner loads, I'm still able to use all sorts of other electricity - IE this computer - a couple 1000 Watt gaming machines, a 200 Watt Laser Cutter, air compressors, electric drills, radios, garbage disposal, hair dryers (when gf needs),  and charge my Chevy Volt.

legendary
Technical Analyst/Trader

I hear this sooooo much, not only from bitcoin junkies, but from these darn plug and play ham operators who are just over glorified screwdriver wizard CBers who memorized 35 questions to pass a multiple choice test but know only how to plug something into a wall outlet or a USB port.

I teach better in person, scary blue sparks and all maybe I'll make a video, to teach these slightly misinformed individules .... I never seem to get my full point across in text.

to be continued......

Rut Ro...    Grin Cheesy Grin Cheesy
Activity: 277
Merit: 250

Well, after I am been thinking whole night about PSU to fire up S7, I have decided to call up and electrician and get a 240V dedicated circuit installed at my home for my S7 Batch 3 and APW3-12-1600-B2 PSU. Any suggestions?

You will be happy you went this route.  If you are getting a 30 amp circuit, you can have 5 x S7's on that one circuit.

A 30A 240V circuit takes 2 lines/poles of 120V 30A connections.  This would mean its using 60A of 120V.  60A at 120V would also allow for 5 x S7's.

Why pay loads of cash to change existing electrical layout if you can avoid it?  ROI is already hard enough to achieve no?

I hear this sooooo much, not only from bitcoin junkies, but from these darn plug and play ham operators who are just over glorified screwdriver wizard CBers who memorized 35 questions to pass a multiple choice test but know only how to plug something into a wall outlet or a USB port.

I teach better in person, scary blue sparks and all maybe I'll make a video, to teach these slightly misinformed individules .... I never seem to get my full point across in text.

to be continued......

legendary
Technical Analyst/Trader

Ufo

Activity: 182
Merit: 100

Ufo
legendary
Technical Analyst/Trader

d57heinz - this was one of the EXACT sources I used in determining my electrical needs.  If you look further you'll find the EXACT same thing being said in dozens of electrician forums on the internet.
  I'm not claiming to be an electrician as are some, but I think the confusion comes from the fact that the 2 poles are 180 degrees out of phase and thus the MAIN does not see 340A simultaneously, but 170A on leg 1 with one phase and 170A on leg2 during the different phase.  This is essentially the same as 240V - using 2 x 120V out of phase connections to achieve the 240V.

I can also concur that I'm utilizing 32000 watts sustained currently - majority on 120V - divided among the 2 poles/legs.  Fluctuations go up to 38000 watts during use of misc items like washer/microwave/gaming machine/hot water heater/air compressor etc..

I did not mean for it to be taken that you can draw 340 amps ON BOTH LEGS SIMULTANEOUSLY.  Yes, there are 200 amps available on both legs.  Yes, one can draw 200 amps on one pole (leg) in the main panel depending on how many Ohms of resistance is in the load.  However, one cannot DRAW 200 amps of both legs simultaneously (400 Amps).  The 200 amp breaker would trip well before that would happen.

You said in a previous post:

Well, I guess my farm is defying all logic then.
I'm certainly pulling in over 200A total - all using 120V.

This is not possible on a 200 amp main service panel with a 200 amp main breaker.  Yes, there is 200 amps "available" on each pole [That some call legs] but a 200 amp breaker would not allow more than 5% of 200 amps in most cases.  So, even though there is 400 amps total available on both poles combined, a 200 amp main breaker will not allow for more than a 200 amp load to flow.

Yes, I've said I'm an electrician.  However, I have also said I'm not a "certified" electrician.  I quit taking my night courses for master electrician just shy of taking the test to become a "journeyman" electrician.  I was an "apprentice" [Gaining experience] while taking night courses for almost 3 years.  In order for one to take the journeyman test and/or the master electrician test, they must have a certain number of hours (experience) in the field before being allowed.  I've said in many posts throughout bitcointalk.org that I'm not a "certified" master electrician.

I'm not here to argue, Sir.  I prefer to keep this civilized.  You said you are putting a load of 32,000 watts on your 200 amp panel with most of it on 120 Volts.  If we do the math, that is a conflicting statement to the statement you made earlier.  Which see:

Well, I guess my farm is defying all logic then.
I'm certainly pulling in over 200A total - all using 120V.

You said you are pulling (drawing) OVER 200 A total.  If that's the case, you are pulling (drawing) more than 24,000 watts with all of it using 120 Volts.  So, "all using 120V?"  One statement says "most" of it on 120V and another saying, "all" of it on 120.  Which is it?

If you were pulling 32,000 watts with "all" on 120 Volts [32,000 watts divided by 120 volts = 266 amps] that would defy logic of having a 200 amp breaker.  If you insist on saying you're pulling more than 200 amps through a 200 amp breaker, be my guest.  I'm not going to try to convince you otherwise.  However, if you believe the very link you said you went to, then listen to the last quote in that link if you don't want to listen to me:

Jump to: