Author

Topic: ANTMINER S7 is available at bitmaintech.com with 4.86TH/s, 0.25J/GH - page 252. (Read 527809 times)

legendary
Activity: 1260
Merit: 1006
Mine for a Bit

I just received a shipping notice from UPS for delivery tomorrow for an order from 10/18; although, it is still showing Unshipped in Bitmain.    Cheesy  I still have more orders on 10/24 and 10/25.

I just received a shipping notice from BITMAIN for delivery for an order from 10/18.    Cheesy  I still have more orders on 10/24 and 10/25. I do believe they are catching up!!!
legendary
Activity: 1260
Merit: 1006
Mine for a Bit
Question for S7 -
Bitmain says all three PCIe connectors on each board must be attached.  Does anyone know if miner will work with one open on a board?  In other words is this a hard and fast rule or is this for ideal performance?

I think it's unlikely anybody will publicly state that you can get by with two connections. Anecdotal information suggests that two will allow proper operation most of the time. All three are required to preserve warranty. If you only do two and one of them discolors or melts, then you'll probably be screwed as to warranty.

Also remember that with only two, they need to be high quality cables and connectors. Downclocking is also an option.

As usual, do it at your own risk.

I bought a S5 from a guy that ran only 1 of 2 connectors for each of the hashboards and claimed that it ran perfectly.  The reason I know this is that this S5 would not hash at top performance....maybe because of the lack of voltage throughout the hashboard correctly.  I would not recommend this practice at all to anyone.  There needs to be an equal dispersion of current throughout the hasboards.
Activity: 277
Merit: 250
The the heat sink issue, with them detaching and moving ... I wonder if a couple of pieces of good ol electrically insulating "fish paper" slipped between the boards would help keep them from shorting out the neighboring board and tighten up the space so they don't move around as much if they do come loose.

The fish paper cross section would be parallel to the air flow so any restriction from the fish paper would be very minimal.

I don't have my S7's yet so I can only speculate from looking at the pictures.
Activity: 277
Merit: 250
I am having nothing but trouble with my new S7's.

Within a day of powering them up some heat sinks came off 2 of the boards from 1 miner, resulting in 2 out of 3 boards dying.

Today the same thing happened again which also resulted in 2 boards dying. I can only see 1 loose heat sink on 1 board in the 2nd miner but I am thinking that either I can't see other loose heat sink or the sudden drop of one board caused a spike to the 2nd board which caused it to die....

Bitmain asked me to connect each hashing board one by one to see if it works. Soon after I did this 2 more heat sinks fell off right near the out fan on miner 2 which caused melting of power connectors and fan! I am trying to get my warranty which I am damn well entitled too and by doing as Bitmain asks it is causing further damage!

http://i1006.photobucket.com/albums/af186/coinbeast1/miner%202%20after%20connecting%20one%20by%20one%20picture%202_zpswhce0pr9.jpg

http://i1006.photobucket.com/albums/af186/coinbeast1/miner%202%20after%20connecting%20one%20by%20one_zpsdriandhx.jpg

Ummm, I don't think these are UL listed/approved .... ;-P

Looks like I'll be building a current monitoring system with an emergency shutdown on the power system as well as piggybacking a couple fans that are ALWAYS on. A sensitive smoke detector and A CO2 or Halon fire suppression system probably would be a good idea also ...

Oh, and make sure your home owner insurance is in good standing ... lol...

alh
legendary
Activity: 1846
Merit: 1052
Question for S7 -
Bitmain says all three PCIe connectors on each board must be attached.  Does anyone know if miner will work with one open on a board?  In other words is this a hard and fast rule or is this for ideal performance?

I think it's unlikely anybody will publicly state that you can get by with two connections. Anecdotal information suggests that two will allow proper operation most of the time. All three are required to preserve warranty. If you only do two and one of them discolors or melts, then you'll probably be screwed as to warranty.

Also remember that with only two, they need to be high quality cables and connectors. Downclocking is also an option.

As usual, do it at your own risk.
legendary
Activity: 1232
Merit: 1000
Question for S7 -

I don't think anyone would want to risk trying that since we're talking about a $1600 piece of hardware.

If you lower the freq you could most likely get away with less PCI's plugged in. (Just not sure how low you would need to go)
Activity: 180
Merit: 100
Question for S7 -

I don't think anyone would want to risk trying that since we're talking about a $1600 piece of hardware.
legendary
Activity: 1593
Merit: 1004
Question for S7 -
legendary
Activity: 1150
Merit: 1004
It's been a while since I've owned a Bitmain product. I forgot how nice and detailed the stats are.

I've been trying to tune my rigs for optimal performance. With my S3s I used a technique of computing the accepted difficulty per second over a reasonably long time (like a day). Then I'd tweak until there was no more improvement. The idea is that while the other local stats are interesting, the accepted shares is most important.

However I'm finding that this is not working with my current S7 and pool set up. Even for the same settings on the same S7 I'm seeing fluctuations of a 1 or 2 percent in the accepted difficulty rate over a day or so span.

Maybe it's the pool being inconsistent? The rigs have mostly been pointed at F2Pool.

Or is it that the local difficulty is set so high (16.4k) that I'm actually seeing local variance? That seems unlikely.

I guess that if the accepted difficulty rate is not a reasonable way for me to measure tweak results, I have to fall back to raw local hashrate and hardware error rate. If so, what HW error percentage rate are you guys trying to target?

Alternatively if this is pool related, I can switch pools. Currently I've been trying the trick of nicehash as the first pool with a high profitability value, and F2Pool as second. This results with mostly mining on F2Pool and occasionally redirecting at nicehash when it's high enough (like it was yesterday for an hour or so).

Maybe I'll go back to slush. I've mined there a lot since they went beta with their new interface. I only left because I wasn't convinced that they had solved their recent orphan blocks problem (which was related to their pool implementation and the malleability attacks). Also, due to its scoring algorithm you really can't bounce between pools so the nicehash trick is out when mining at slush.
legendary
Activity: 1302
Merit: 1318
Technical Analyst/Trader
dmwardjr-------I have to say that you are a very good person!!!!   You have helped me in the past and are continuing to help other to the best of your ability.  Just from me, Thank You!

Thank you,

My apologies for the delay.  I've been sleeping.  I was up until 5:25am this morning.

I do my best.  I still have a lot to learn with mining, nodes, the blockchain, code, networking, etc...  There are a lot of fine gentlemen and ladies on here with loads of experience and knowledge to learn from.  I feel privileged to be in the company of most all of them on here.

Have a good day, AriesIV10.

David
legendary
Activity: 1302
Merit: 1318
Technical Analyst/Trader
LOL,  I never said I don't ever cook or that I take cold showers - to the contrary I just made some spinach egg scramble as well as some sausages for breakfast (While heating my coffee in Microwave) and am about to take a nice HOT shower.
Clothes, yes - I said I don't use dryer - I air dry them.  A/C - I simply don't use either.  In fact it's disconnected from the main and have 4 x 20 amp 120 circuits installed in its place for miners.  The Fridge operates on a 120v circuit.  I do next to zero gaming.  My son does the gaming, but I do have a dual xeon rendering rig that gets kicked on from time to time that draws 1000 watts when rendering, or mining.

Thanks for clearing it up.  The confusion came when you said you were using 32,000 Watts of rigs and everything else in the house worked fine without tripping the breaker.  The very fact you have the AC disconnected will have everything else work fine with the rigs running.  The AC is the biggest burner of power after the rigs.
Activity: 106
Merit: 10

OK, believe what you will.  I do know several "licensed" electricians and had one confirm with me today, after these exchanges, that it is Per Phase on the Main - not total.
So each phase can be loaded with 80% load and the main will not trip as they are out of phase and not an addition of current.

Here is a list of miners and wattage that I am currently using - all at 120V.  They alone are exceeding 200A in power usage -

13 x s7's = 15730 WATTS
8 x s5's = 4720 WATTS
1 x S4 = 1400 WATTS
3 x A2 @ 88 = 2250 WATTS
4 x A2 @ 110 = 4000 WATTS

TOTAL WATTS = 28100 @ 120v = 234A

The only 240V circuits being used are 1) Stove - 2) Water Heater.
Even with the miner loads, I'm still able to use all sorts of other electricity - IE this computer - a couple 1000 Watt gaming machines, a 200 Watt Laser Cutter, air compressors, electric drills, radios, garbage disposal, hair dryers (when gf needs),  and charge my Chevy Volt.

You are saying this is impossible, unless defective - seems to be working.

Don't forget.  You know we have 200 amps on each pole but how many volts is on each pole?  The answer:  120 Volts

Yes, exactly.  So where do you think the 240V comes from?  Combining the 120V across the 2 poles.  Essentially when you use a 240V breaker and have a 5A load on it, you are pulling 5A across both pole/legs at 120V.
So in order to achieve 200 amps at 240V you'd be pulling 200amps across both legs of 120V.  This alone, seems to tell me that yes you can use 200A of 120V on each leg.  

Yes Stove/Oven, Water Heater, and Dryer (which I don't use) all utilize both legs with 2 pole breaker.  Who needs a dryer with this many miners?  Just put up some clothes racks in the living room when its time to dry.

I see now you say you don't ever cook, you don't use the dryer and you always take cold showers.  [I'm commenting on your post while I read it.]  I imagine you turn the A/C on during the summer.  Then we have the fridge, the compressor you mentioned, the 1,000 watt gaming you do, the lights, the television(s), your exhaust fan for heat; any other box fans you may use for cooling, your dish washer, etc...

Cheers,

LOL,  I never said I don't ever cook or that I take cold showers - to the contrary I just made some spinach egg scramble as well as some sausages for breakfast (While heating my coffee in Microwave) and am about to take a nice HOT shower.
Clothes, yes - I said I don't use dryer - I air dry them.  A/C - I simply don't use either.  In fact it's disconnected from the main and have 4 x 20 amp 120 circuits installed in its place for miners.  The Fridge operates on a 120v circuit.  I do next to zero gaming.  My son does the gaming, but I do have a dual xeon rendering rig that gets kicked on from time to time that draws 1000 watts when rendering, or mining.
legendary
Activity: 1232
Hello to you all.
Received my ANT7 Batch 1 yesterday.
Also received the PSU from Bitmain.

Yesterday i pluged everything, configured and "voilá"... it was mining...

Everything OK by 2 hours... after that the unit started to beep.. i needed to poert it off.
Connected again... and once again it was mining.

After 2 hours the some problem... the mining decrese to almost 0, the unit started gain to beeb.
Power off and power down again
The unit beeps again and again... works for 3 to 4 minuts until it stops mining

From 21PM yesterday the unit is producing ZERO... its beeping almost shure (i'm in home, and the unit in in my office).
The ANT7 is connected to a swhitch and then the switch is connected to a router.

Im a newbie, and i thought this was power on and let go... i see its more complicated for a 2500€ machine. Angry
Is there any troubleshotting guide?
Help is needed.

Did you configure your pool information on the miner? As it will mine but to Bitmain account. If you did I think I would check the miner status page and watch your temps see what they are. Then if that looks good I would try and use a volt meter and check your voltage from the PSU under load. Watch it the whole 3-4 mins and see if the voltage drops off as the miner drops off.

I would like to see a screen shot of the miners status page.
legendary
Activity: 1456
I worry about pumping 800 Watts through a PSU that's rated 850 Watts.

In theory, you should have no issues with pumping 800W sustained out of an 850W power supply. 50W is a decent margin.

In practice, Corsair RM 850 for example.

So an HX850 should be fine, the only difference I see is that the RM850 is fully modular while the HX850 is partially modular.

RM or HX are both pretty high quality PSU's as far as Corsair's models.   I like the RM series just as I have used so many RM1000's but that is personal preference.

After looking at PSU's lately I think I would look into server PSU's.  A lot of them really are quite a bit cheaper.  It's honestly kinda nice after getting use to using them.

In theory, you should have no issues with pumping 800W sustained out of an 850W power supply. 50W is a decent margin.

So an HX850 should be fine, the only difference I see is that the RM850 is fully modular while the HX850 is partially modular.
80% is max I would do for safety. 60% is safer.
I'm running 3 corsair rm1000 watt psu's to power two s7's, that is at 80% for two boards on s7. At 80% it keeps the fan running slowly to cool.
When you drop $2000 on a rig, don't skimp on psu.
Even a corsair AX1200 is good. Good price on ebay.

But an AX1200 can't power a single S7 since they use 1210W.
Correct, that would be for two boards.
Here are corsair rm1000 used I just googled. $115 shipped. Half of mine are used.
https://www.sierracomponent.com/product/components-peripherals/power-supplies/cp-9020062-na-corsair-rm-1000-watt-power-supply-801940120595-used/

ah, ok I misunderstood.  So I'll just stick with my plan of 3 HX850's for my S7, and have to deal with buying another psu if I manage to snag another S7.
Activity: 770
Merit: 523

I'm running 3 corsair rm1000 watt psu's to power two s7's, that is at 80% for two boards on s7. At 80% it keeps the fan running slowly to cool.

Correct, that would be for two boards.
Here are corsair rm1000 used I just googled. $115 shipped. Half of mine are used.
https://www.sierracomponent.com/product/components-peripherals/power-supplies/cp-9020062-na-corsair-rm-1000-watt-power-supply-801940120595-used/

legendary
Activity: 1652
Merit: 1067
Christian Antkow
So an HX850 should be fine (?)

In theory. The initial RM750's and RM850's were a bit notorious for running into thermal issues and potentially causing all sorts of havok. I believe Corsair has since replaced the inferior components they were using in the RM series.
Here is the difference between stock firmware and oct 23 600 firmware running 15 s7's against nicehash.
If you look at the start on the left for about an inch that is the stock firmware running.
After that all oct 23 firmware. The downward spikes are rebooting on my end for naming configuration.
Two more s7's from oct 12 order will arrive tomorrow.

Thanks for the image tip dmwardjr.

https://i.imgur.com/Ei7K1vH.jpg

thanks
not familiar with their interface.
what's green and what's blue? are we comparing first inch of green with the rest of the green or first inch of blue with the rest of blue?
First inch of blue histogram with the rest.

sorry, but first inch of blue is essentially at zero-so, it did not work with previous software, but works with current or you are talking about a second inch compared with the rest. i see some increase there (maybe 5% or so).
Yes the second inch, 5%, thank you for clarifying that for me sir.
I watch these graphs all day every day so I took way too much for granted on the explanation.
Jump to: