Author

Topic: ANTMINER S7 is available at bitmaintech.com with 4.86TH/s, 0.25J/GH - page 387. (Read 527816 times)

legendary
Activity: 1008
Merit: 1001
One positive thought (I hope) about the BTC halving:

There will likely be 5 or 6 other sha256 coins we can mine that will give us more income than BTC.

For example  Roll Eyes
Activity: 786
Merit: 1000
One positive thought (I hope) about the BTC halving:

There will likely be 5 or 6 other sha256 coins we can mine that will give us more income than BTC.

Activity: 353
Merit: 251
will someone make waterblocks for s7 boards?
as it will be really hard tot make the c1 and syscooling blocks work I think.
unfortunately i just order myself an s7 and  I am not lokking for a vacuum cleaner running full time in my appartment.
legendary
Activity: 3892
Merit: 4331
bitcoin miners: Moore's law on steroids

S1 came out in Nov (or Dec?) of 2013 and cost ~$4000 for ~200GH.
S7 will come out ~two years later: cost ~$1900 for ~5000GH

You'll get 25 times more calculations for half the price (in $$).
Moore's law-transistor density doubles every two years
legendary
Activity: 2030
Merit: 1076
BTCLife.global participant

based on the s-5 being able to do 400 or 406 freq    vs   350 stock   ..  

425 with very few amount of HWE. Just if you use good powerfull server PSU.
Anyone else notice this for S7 specs from the interview?

The S7 brings mining to a new level with Power consumption to Hash rate ratio. The density of the S7 at Chip count per device: 162x Hashrate: 5,200 GH/s (5.2 TH/s) Power consumption at wall: 1300W @ 90% PSU efficiency Power

Typo or updated figure I wonder? It would maintain the same 0.25 J/Gh as the released specs, maybe that is over-clocked?

Probably correct performance when overclocked.
Bitmain state 4,86 TH/s +/- 5%. Which would put normal operating range at 4.61-5.1 TH/s, at 1210W.

I can easily see this thing doing 5,2TH/s at 1300W.

Objections?

I can see the s-7 doing 5300th if you can keep it cold.  Big if  since it is very small in size.
I could see this being possible in the coldest of places, maybe one of the Scientist whom go to Antarctica for a long time will take it with him and overclock it up.

I'll try overclocking one of mine. Will be cooled by direct outside air with temp at 0 to -16C during winter time. I'm excited!

me too...-5 to -30C during winter time here.  
+30 to 40C  with the humidex in the summer tho. I had to pull back my S5s to just above default frequency this summer in order to keep them below 60. They survived and i have pushed them up a wee bit recently to get 1.19 THS. So I'm hoping to be able to keep my S7 above default freq next summer. I'm guessing i may not be able to do so.

EDIT: I should mention I put them right beside my AC in the summer so that it's blowing cold air directly on them.
Bitfury makes their miners for data centers. Almost no one in US can use those miners because of the power draw, just like the S5+. That is why I like Bitmain so much, they create miners that the home user can actually run. To bad Bitfury does not make two different models, one for home users and one for data centers. Competition makes companies improve faster and reduces prices for public Smiley

You can buy into their data center if you can afford to buy 1 PH. I'm guessing it would cost you $500,000 for 1 PH for 1 yr ?. Then you 're likely stuck with not be able to switch pools...albeit their pool has been rocking lately. My gut tells me that, given their amazing jump in finding blocks, has been due to their new chip .So, I think they have been running their new rigs for at least a month...but what do i know.

EDIT: I think we will see a lot of older miners continuing to come offline soon. So I don't think diff will increase massively as more new efficient miners come online....maybe 3% a month?? But again, what do i know.
Activity: 140
Merit: 100

The S7 brings mining to a new level with Power consumption to Hash rate ratio. The density of the S7 at Chip count per device: 162x Hashrate: 5,200 GH/s (5.2 TH/s) Power consumption at wall: 1300W @ 90% PSU efficiency Power

Typo or updated figure I wonder? It would maintain the same 0.25 J/Gh as the released specs, maybe that is over-clocked?

Bitmain state 4,86 TH/s +/- 5%. Which would put normal operating range at 4.61-5.1 TH/s, at 1210W.

Objections?

I can see the s-7 doing 5300th if you can keep it cold.  Big if  since it is very small in size.
I could see this being possible in the coldest of places, maybe one of the Scientist whom go to Antarctica for a long time will take it with him and overclock it up.

I'll try overclocking one of mine. Will be cooled by direct outside air with temp at 0 to -16C during winter time. I'm excited!
legendary
Activity: 4256
Merit: 8551
'The right to privacy matters'

Objections?

Gotta say as a newcomer to this trying to draw information from the Net Bitmain seems fairly straightforward to follow. Real announcements of real chips, closely followed by real products, backed up with data sheets.

BitFury on the other hand is tricky... On their website all you just see in products is the 55nm BF864C55 with up to 0.5J/GH. Then the product BF4500 with 0.62J/GH  at the wall. OK so far.

Then in the press from the end of Feb 2015 we are told that they have "Completed manufacturing of it's anticipated 28nm chip" 0.2J/GH and then in the same article.

"BitFury continuously improves its market-leading technology and we are already hard at work on the next generation 16nm chip that is expected to achieve 0.06 J/Gh this year." However I can find no mention of a product based on the 28nm chip?

Now we are told that the 16nm chip "first revealed to be in  production in February" has taped out? All very confusing...

So have Coindesk mixed up the 28nm & 16nm information, or are Bitfury, who I have no doubt working on all of the above, just issuing pre-emptive spoiler releases in reaction to Bitmain's actual products?

Rich

If I'm not mistaken Bitfury only sells to bulk buyers/mining companies. Bitmain is only ASIC provider to sell to the open public (atleast as I know of).
Edit: The 55nm products are from back in the day when they sold to the public.
Activity: 588
Merit: 500
Gotta say as a newcomer to this trying to draw information from the Net Bitmain seems fairly straightforward to follow. Real announcements of real chips, closely followed by real products, backed up with data sheets.

BitFury on the other hand is tricky... On their website all you just see in products is the 55nm BF864C55 with up to 0.5J/GH. Then the product BF4500 with 0.62J/GH  at the wall. OK so far.

Then in the press from the end of Feb 2015 we are told that they have "Completed manufacturing of it's anticipated 28nm chip" 0.2J/GH. However I can find no mention of a product based on the 28nm chip? Then in the same article.

"BitFury continuously improves its market-leading technology and we are already hard at work on the next generation 16nm chip that is expected to achieve 0.06 J/Gh this year."

Now we are told that the 16nm chip "first revealed to be in  production in February" has taped out? All very confusing...

So have Coindesk mixed up the 28nm & 16nm information, or are Bitfury, who I have no doubt working on all of the above, just issuing pre-emptive spoiler releases in reaction to Bitmain's actual products?

Rich

Objections?
legendary
Activity: 3654
Merit: 8909
https://bpip.org

Typo or updated figure I wonder?

It's Bitcoinist, the article is full of typos and formatting gaffes. That's their normal way of doing whatever it is they're doing (certainly not journalism).

Having said that, the chip had an announced hashrate of 32.5 GH/s, so 162 of those would be 5200+. Official specs list 93% PSU efficiency, Bitcoinist lists 90%. Perhaps the journo tried to do some misguided math.
legendary
Activity: 1022
Merit: 1003

The force is strong with this one  Smiley

You might want to take a look at an interview with Bitmain head chief:

http://bitcoinist.net/exclusive-interview-jihan-wu-bitmain-s7-block-size-debate/
Hmmm so apparently this is meant to be a home miner but I just can't believe that with the DB and the entry price, also the Ant router is going to have the newest chip in it, that is quite interesting as well.

"The AntRouter is its final stage of development. The first generation will use the BM1384 chip. " Not the new 1385!
Activity: 805
Merit: 250
Well let me join the list of beggers and ask for 1 coupon for an s7
ID : coolb2

would really appreciate it..

Regards
legendary
Activity: 1596
Merit: 1027
The force is strong with this one  Smiley

You might want to take a look at an interview with Bitmain head chief:

http://bitcoinist.net/exclusive-interview-jihan-wu-bitmain-s7-block-size-debate/
legendary
Activity: 1260
Merit: 1006
Mine for a Bit
Well done Bitmain for the new miner. Hopefully somebody will compete to lower your prices as i think this is selling for too much.

WELL we have competition now:)  Like i said you know they were dumping this year old tech on us as s7.. If Bitfury is at 16nm  Then Bitmain is aswell.. Dont be a fool and buy this machine unless you have free power.. The hashrate is going to explode or price will drop to where 16 nm is only thing profitable.. Again unless you have free power.

Good luck with your investments

http://www.coindesk.com/bitfury-completion-16nm-bitcoin-mining-asic/

Best Regards
d57heinz

bitfury is not going to expand the hashrate from 400ph to 1000ph.  but it sounds good.

I still say get yourself an s-7 asap not a shit ton of s-7's but a few of them if you can.

Time will tell if my guess is better then yours.

I dont mind be wrong from time to time.Smiley  But you def cant discredit this info.. It wont take much of a net diff increase or price to fall to screw anyone of any chance of roi on this miner that doesnt have free power. All im saying is Buyer Beware This is a hobby miner only.. If you just want to support the network its cheaper to run a node im sure..

Best Regards
d57heinz

Note:  The chips were in production in Feb 2015 and then announced again in Jun 2015.  This is a lot of talk about a product that is still mythical. 

-AriesIV10
Activity: 21
Merit: 0
Bitfury makes their miners for data centers. Almost no one in US can use those miners because of the power draw, just like the S5+. That is why I like Bitmain so much, they create miners that the home user can actually run. To bad Bitfury does not make two different models, one for home users and one for data centers. Competition makes companies improve faster and reduces prices for public Smiley
legendary
Activity: 1260
Merit: 1006
Mine for a Bit
Hi,

I've just made a video about bitmain antminer s7. Not a review because it is not shipping yet...

https://youtu.be/BXnHmDXTq5U

thanks

.03 J/ghs....is this correct .31J/9.5GHs?Huh   This is GREAT if true.  This would far exceed the capabilities of the 0.25 J/GHs of the Antminer S7.  Are my numbers correct?  Would it not be more EFFICIENT to purchase the Gekkoscience Compact?  By the way, thanks for the youtube video.

-AriesIV10
Jump to: