Author

Topic: ANTMINER S7 is available at bitmaintech.com with 4.86TH/s, 0.25J/GH - page 386. (Read 527816 times)

legendary
Activity: 1302
Merit: 1318
Technical Analyst/Trader
I was actually thinking about buying 9 or 10 S7's for now and another 40 in December.  However, I'm quite concerned about difficulty jumps between now and December.  Any thoughts on this subject would be appreciated...

I know as the difficulty rises there will be others to drop out of mining if bitcoin prices remain the same.  Those who drop out will mostly be home miners with substantially high power costs and less efficient HW.  How much of the network hash rate actually falls into this category?  Hard to say...

Any idea how many rigs BITMAIN will make in the first batch?  That will give me an idea (rough estimate) of how much the difficulty can possibly rise each month over the next 3 months.

If you haven't noticed, the hash rate is turning up rather sharply on bitcoinwisdom.com.  Can we expect this angle of ascent on the chart for the next several months?  If so, we are looking at 70 billion difficulty rather easily by some time in November.

How many rigs can BITMAIN manufacture in one month?  Maybe 5,000 units?  Knowing this can assist with determining what the future difficulty can be potentially.

Bitmain is in a rather sweet position by knowing how many rigs they make.  This can give them an edge in knowing what the potential difficulty can be at a particular time +/- about 5 to 7 percent accuracy.

The S7 is definitely a game changer at this point in time.  It forces one to really weigh their potential purchase a lot more.
legendary
Activity: 3808
Merit: 1723
Up to 300% + 200 FS deposit bonuses
So are these S7 currently in use somewhere or when they start arriving in people's doorsteps at the end of Sept, difficulty will start to rise then?
legendary
Activity: 4256
Merit: 8551
'The right to privacy matters'
God damn bitmaintech.  the s5 is a damn airplane engine.  i cant even imagine the s7.  MAKE A UPDATED S3 PLEASE.  that thing was smoooooooooooooooooth

S-3 are the best.

Easy to make quiet. Swap the pull fan with a silverstone 141 clock to 206 hash at 420gh.

I still run four of them in two-three cent per kwatt spot.

I need to get the s-7 just as quiet!
legendary
Activity: 2294
Merit: 1182
Now the money is free, and so the people will be
God damn bitmaintech.  the s5 is a damn airplane engine.  i cant even imagine the s7.  MAKE A UPDATED S3 PLEASE.  that thing was smoooooooooooooooooth
legendary
Activity: 3892
Merit: 4331
So, I am curious. If you can fit a rectangular miner inside a cylindrical "Duct Muffler Silencer", is the idea to retain the existing S5/S5 setup, or to replace the fans with larger fanst at the end(s) the cylinder? My recollection is that one of the reasons for the S5 noise is that fans generate a fair amount of static pressure to actually get the air pushed through the S5 blades and heatsinks. It seems to me that the S7 will require at least as much pressure as the S5, if not more so (i.e. 3 blade -vs- 2 blades). Obviously if you replace the S5/S7 fans, you'll need to make sure the air doesn't just flow "around" the miner and does actually flow through the heatsings and boards. Obviously Bitmain could have done something to reduce the "heat density" of the S7 (e.g. 1 or 2 boards instead of 3), but haven't (yet). Could be they'll introduce the S7- "actual home miner" with a power/noise profile that's better suited to an actual residence.

Of course maybe I am just too picky. I look forward to folks actual experiences and experiments.

in my case I just wanted to muffle the existing fans. This tube is open on both sides and it has a 3-4'' layer of 'muffling' plastic inside. the inside diameter is wider, but becomes similar to opening because of muffling plastic.
The idea was that S5 would have fit snugly into a 8 or 10'' diameter tube together with all the wiring, hence reduced noise.
alh
legendary
Activity: 1846
Merit: 1052
So, I am curious. If you can fit a rectangular miner inside a cylindrical "Duct Muffler Silencer", is the idea to retain the existing S5/S5 setup, or to replace the fans with larger fanst at the end(s) the cylinder? My recollection is that one of the reasons for the S5 noise is that fans generate a fair amount of static pressure to actually get the air pushed through the S5 blades and heatsinks. It seems to me that the S7 will require at least as much pressure as the S5, if not more so (i.e. 3 blade -vs- 2 blades). Obviously if you replace the S5/S7 fans, you'll need to make sure the air doesn't just flow "around" the miner and does actually flow through the heatsings and boards. Obviously Bitmain could have done something to reduce the "heat density" of the S7 (e.g. 1 or 2 boards instead of 3), but haven't (yet). Could be they'll introduce the S7- "actual home miner" with a power/noise profile that's better suited to an actual residence.

Of course maybe I am just too picky. I look forward to folks actual experiences and experiments.
Activity: 786
Merit: 1000
One positive thought (I hope) about the BTC halving:

There will likely be 5 or 6 other sha256 coins we can mine that will give us more income than BTC.

If the LTC halving is any indication - not really. Altcoins are so tiny and most have quick difficulty adjustments so any significant hashrate movement will just raise the difficulty and remove the incentive. Or the increased dumpage will reduce the exchange rate, same net effect.

Yup- good example. Sooo...you don't want my LTCGear boards i guess- LOL.
legendary
In terms of S7 noise, consider the following:

It's roughly the same size and shape of the S5, with what appear to be metal sides. There are three hashing board squeezed in there, and the total power consumption is about 1200W (i.e. twice what the S5 had). Unless you think there is some magic from Bitmain, or somebody else, you should expect it to always be loud unless you are willing to forgo some hashrate and lower the power. I don't think you should hope for some "quieter fan" solution to magically appear.

It looks to me like it's most decidedly "NOT a home miner" if that is underlying your question.

for quiet mining there is some hope but they all involve  case rebuilds/mods .

two blades = 800 watts and maybe a fan mod  gets you quiet.  of course you lose ⅓ the hash.

frankly I will need to find a sound solution for mine that I like.

one is long cables to the controller and open the case into 3 pieces .

others are box fans.

I have 1 more idea 2 of these

http://www.ebay.com/itm/EBM-PAPST-Motorized-Impeller-Fan-R2S133-AE17-05-230V-AC-NEW-/121745244827?hash=item1c5895029b

inside this

http://www.homedepot.com/p/SAKRETE-10-in-x-48-in-Concrete-Form-Tube-65470006/100350260

...we think similarly...
last year I almost purchased the stuff below for S5, but you have to calculate exactly which diameter would accept the S7 rectangle:
http://www.ebay.com/itm/4-6-8-Inch-Duct-Muffler-Inline-Fan-Silencer-Noise-Reducer-Hydroponic-Filter-/281147636370?var=&hash=item4175b47a92
or http://www.ebay.com/itm/8-Inch-Hydroponics-Duct-Muffler-Inline-Fan-Blower-Filter-Silencer-Noise-Reducer-/261492562812?hash=item3ce22bdb7c
not sure 8 inches would be enough, but 10 probably will.
Edit: I might do it and put it outside of the house or into garage with incoming end ending at or close to the wall.
Activity: 471
Merit: 250
Since S5 was 70-72 dB and S7 has two of the same fans, it stands to reason that it might be 80dB.
If I cannot bring it down to 60-61 dB, i would have no use for it longer term. I can probably tolerate 64dB for up to one-two weeks.

The SP10s and SP35s had smaller fans ... so more of a high pitch noise (unbearable to the ears long term) ... they run at around 70DB to 80DB. I quickly dispatched them to data centers.

S7 then ... maybe a deeper noise but probably still unbearable for the average home miner.

legendary
Activity: 4256
Merit: 8551
'The right to privacy matters'

It's roughly the same size and shape of the S5, with what appear to be metal sides. There are three hashing board squeezed in there, and the total power consumption is about 1200W (i.e. twice what the S5 had). Unless you think there is some magic from Bitmain, or somebody else, you should expect it to always be loud unless you are willing to forgo some hashrate and lower the power. I don't think you should hope for some "quieter fan" solution to magically appear.

It looks to me like it's most decidedly "NOT a home miner" if that is underlying your question.

for quiet mining there is some hope but they all involve  case rebuilds/mods .

two blades = 800 watts and maybe a fan mod  gets you quiet.  of course you lose ⅓ the hash.

frankly I will need to find a sound solution for mine that I like.

one is long cables to the controller and open the case into 3 pieces .

others are box fans.

I have 1 more idea 2 of these

http://www.ebay.com/itm/EBM-PAPST-Motorized-Impeller-Fan-R2S133-AE17-05-230V-AC-NEW-/121745244827?hash=item1c5895029b

inside this

http://www.homedepot.com/p/SAKRETE-10-in-x-48-in-Concrete-Form-Tube-65470006/100350260
Activity: 266
Infected Mushroom

Is there any any news on the DB rating of the S7? ... just wondering how loud it might be ... sorry if I missed that Bitmain gave an idea on this.

The current expectation is based on the fact that it appears to have TWO S5 class fans.

If you care about how loud it is, it's probably too loud.

The thing is, these fans go up to 4200 rpm, my s5's go up to 3960... I guess they are little bit powerful.
legendary

Is there any any news on the DB rating of the S7? ... just wondering how loud it might be ... sorry if I missed that Bitmain gave an idea on this.

Nothing official, but bitmain said it's very loud. My guess is that they are somewhere between 75-80 dB minimum.

Upper 70ies are annoyingly loud for some people
80dB-possible damage in 8hr exposure

https://www.chem.purdue.edu/chemsafety/Training/PPETrain/dblevels.htm

Since S5 was 70-72 dB and S7 has two of the same fans, it stands to reason that it might be 80dB.
If I cannot bring it down to 60-61 dB, i would have no use for it longer term. I can probably tolerate 64dB for up to one-two weeks.
Activity: 353
Merit: 251

only if we make watercooled verision we could run it in / near are homes
Activity: 353
Merit: 251
if there is no posebility to make s7 watercooled.
I will be selling / trading fore eqal value is s5'5
cause i cant have a vacuum cleaner on stearoids running 24/7 in my appartmenet.
alh
legendary

Nothing official, but bitmain said it's very loud. My guess is that they are somewhere between 75-80 dB minimum.

Thanks, just weighing up options ... the SP20s I have are so configurable in terms of energy use and sound, but the S7 sure beats the power usage per GH ratio hands down. Might wait until S7s are out in the wild and people report back.

alh
legendary

The current expectation is based on the fact that it appears to have TWO S5 class fans.

If you care about how loud it is, it's probably too loud.
Activity: 266
Infected Mushroom

legendary
Activity: 3654
Merit: 8909
https://bpip.org
One positive thought (I hope) about the BTC halving:

There will likely be 5 or 6 other sha256 coins we can mine that will give us more income than BTC.

If the LTC halving is any indication - not really. Altcoins are so tiny and most have quick difficulty adjustments so any significant hashrate movement will just raise the difficulty and remove the incentive. Or the increased dumpage will reduce the exchange rate, same net effect.
Jump to: