Author

Topic: ANTMINER S7 is available at bitmaintech.com with 4.86TH/s, 0.25J/GH - page 389. (Read 527816 times)

legendary
Activity: 1456
Merit: 1000
Any spare free coupon for S7?  Smiley Smiley
thank you so much! id: kodokbuduk

So, you're going to spend $1836 on a device, and want a free coupon for a $100 discount... and you go and send me a PM asking for a free coupoun with a straight face?

This guy reeks of the kind that like to get free coupouns and sell them on ebay for $50.... avoid donating at any cost

I don't suggest giving to newer accounts.  Sadly some are looking to profit off of them.  I will be honest I did not even think about selling when I got them.  Not sure if it means I am a nice person or idiot.  Guess it depends on who you ask Smiley

I gave one of mine as a thanks for a member who helped me a lot on 240 install. philipma he really did help alot on that project.  I gave 2 other ones out for free as I thought it was kinda paying back the karma of coupons I had gotten in past.   
legendary
Activity: 872
Merit: 1010
Coins, Games & Miners

So, you're going to spend $1836 on a device, and want a free coupon for a $100 discount... and you go and send me a PM asking for a free coupoun with a straight face?

This guy reeks of the kind that like to get free coupouns and sell them on ebay for $50.... avoid donating at any cost
Activity: 23
Merit: 0
Unmodded S5 in batch1 and with initial software and only one fan was doing 72dB of "metallic"sound.

A bit of a weird hack mod, but if you get some of the chunky foam they come packaged in, cut a square out about 2cm wider than the fan, then cut the middle out the exact fan size (so basically it's like a picture frame) then mount it on the fan so it sits out about 1cm, it alters the pitch and stops a lot of the whine.

I think the term used is 'velocity stack', and whatever flow dynamics logic that goes along with it.

P.S. Anyone wanna throw me an S7 voucher?  Roll Eyes
Activity: 294
Merit: 100
legendary
I completely understand the whole "mining is a fun hobby" concept. I think it is/was great fun even if you're not a tweaker geek. I've been ASIC mining pretty much since the start (although I missed the batch 1 Avalons and bet on BFL and bASIC instead, lol). I've quit mining altogether now since the SP20s aren't profitable to run for me anymore. In my dreams, I'd love to have a SFARDS SF100 and an S7 on order... just for kicks. I love shiny new things!

But the fun has really ended for me. The noise, the heat, the astronomical electricity bills, the tanking BTC price, the "never-ending race to beat the difficulty increases with new hardware" has worn me out completely.

Although I'd be back in the race in a heartbeat if the BTC price was above $500 and on the rise! But then new gear would be much cheaper to buy with my BTC holdings. But this low BTC price just kills any desire I have for shiny new toys.

I guess for now I will have to live vicariously through others.   Undecided

True, the fun of mining has been ruined by the huge noise and heat an ASIC miner generates. My approach now is to downvolt and downclock the miners so that they can run on very quiet fans and function as a small heater at no higher than 400W power consumption

The things is you have to evolve with the miners.  Some will not be able to do this with living situation and understandably why.  But I was lucky for summer mining I made a mining area.

This mining area has paid off in gold really.  I think having a nice area where you can handle heat and noise is no issue is becoming bigger and bigger in this game.

And doesn't that kind of defeat the whole reason for home mining... having to build out areas of your home or property to accommodate mining equipment? I used spare rooms and garage (in winter) which was inconvenient enough for me. Lol.

But to each his own, I guess.

To mine in summer is a lot harder then winter mining.  Winter mining I could heat many rooms.  But I figured one time cost and I could run through summer .... and I did it.

I have a garage/work area with lots of space.  So I turned it into a very nice "hobby" miner setup.   The goal was to run through summer and it's almost did that.  So having an area with 100 amps for just mining where sound and heat is no issue is now a nice benefit winter or summer for me.  Granted I know everyone is not going to do this.   But for me it really paid off.
Activity: 924
That's becoming the popular stance all around.  Too bad block erupters aren't profitable anymore.  I wish we could get back those days where anyone could jump in and the sooner you did the better off you were before the spike.  That time was amazing.  We eventually will hit that rush of buying in and sky rocketing prices but now it will take huge investments to make that spike again.  The huge farms have their place in the advancement of Bitcoin but I wish it would have waited a couple years and allowed the home miner more time with asic chip miners.
I'm waiting for the eventual down-turn that will destroy these farms and only the home miner will be able to suffer through before another jump.
The S7 is amazing staying at the 28nm process but overpriced and that will hurt individual sales but will be great second hand gear.
Activity: 784
Merit: 1004
Glow Stick Dance!
I completely understand the whole "mining is a fun hobby" concept. I think it is/was great fun even if you're not a tweaker geek. I've been ASIC mining pretty much since the start (although I missed the batch 1 Avalons and bet on BFL and bASIC instead, lol). I've quit mining altogether now since the SP20s aren't profitable to run for me anymore. In my dreams, I'd love to have a SFARDS SF100 and an S7 on order... just for kicks. I love shiny new things!

But the fun has really ended for me. The noise, the heat, the astronomical electricity bills, the tanking BTC price, the "never-ending race to beat the difficulty increases with new hardware" has worn me out completely.

Although I'd be back in the race in a heartbeat if the BTC price was above $500 and on the rise! But then new gear would be much cheaper to buy with my BTC holdings. But this low BTC price just kills any desire I have for shiny new toys.

True, the fun of mining has been ruined by the huge noise and heat an ASIC miner generates. My approach now is to downvolt and downclock the miners so that they can run on very quiet fans and function as a small heater at no higher than 400W power consumption

The things is you have to evolve with the miners.  Some will not be able to do this with living situation and understandably why.  But I was lucky for summer mining I made a mining area.

This mining area has paid off in gold really.  I think having a nice area where you can handle heat and noise is no issue is becoming bigger and bigger in this game.

And doesn't that kind of defeat the whole reason for home mining... having to build out areas of your home or property to accommodate mining equipment? I used spare rooms and garage (in winter) which was inconvenient enough for me. Lol.

But to each his own, I guess.
legendary

Glow Stick Dance!

I don't know where you live but where I live it's still summer and I have absolutely no need for a "small heater" yet, lol. It's 8pm and 94f right now. Maybe in 3 months I'll fire up my SP20s again.
legendary
Activity: 1988
Merit: 1012
Beyond Imagination

Glow Stick Dance!

legendary
Activity: 3892
Merit: 4331
So who is buying the S7?

I think it has too little power. I thought it would have around 10 - 20 TH/s. But okay, it has the new chips.

When is 16nm coming? For me in Germany it is hard to mine with those prices for electricity... :/

And what kind of circuit are you going to run a 10-20THs miner? Remember, the S7 is aimed at the home miner.

I would rather call it a shed- or basement- or outside-of-home miner if it is really going to be 75dB or more as some are suggesting.
Unmodded S5 in batch1 and with initial software and only one fan was doing 72dB of "metallic"sound.

By saying "home miner", I mean that the S7 is designed to run on an average home's circuits rather than only in a datacenter. Where the person decides to place the miner in their home is irrelevant. But yes, a garage or basement is the best place to run most any miner.  Smiley

another home miner from Bitmain is coming...but some might not like it-Antrouter.
http://bitcoinist.net/exclusive-interview-jihan-wu-bitmain-s7-block-size-debate/
The AntRouter is its final stage of development. The first generation will use the BM1384 chip. Mining bitcoin with the router is a long time dream for the Bitcoin miners.
A simple device that will mine BTC and have other useful functions.
legendary
Activity: 4256
Merit: 8551
'The right to privacy matters'

4100 BTC, but 1628 came from one order of at least 200 machines.
the rest-2472 BTCor ~300 machines. Total maybe about 500 S7

so bump to 600 this makes 500 to 600 as a fair estimate.

and 600 x 5th  = 3ph  in sales  give or take 500th

3ph if my maths is correct is less than 1% of the hash rate for bitcoins.  So assuming that nobody is replacing their old gear with S7s and they just leave all their equipment on and that everybody is mining bitcoins with their new S7s then that would only be a 1% increase in the difficulty?  That's way better than what I was expecting.  

the problem is bitmaintech self mines.  So  1 s-7 uses the same power as 2 s-5's

you can bet dollars to donuts that they are swapping the s-7 for the s-5 and have been doing it for a month in their mines.

so we are having hash jump a lot.  so also realize that bitmaintech and bitfury can  add  100ph if they want and don't since the have no need to get into an arms war.

legendary
Activity: 3654
Merit: 8909
https://bpip.org

3ph if my maths is correct is less than 1% of the hash rate for bitcoins.  So assuming that nobody is replacing their old gear with S7s and they just leave all their equipment on and that everybody is mining bitcoins with their new S7s then that would only be a 1% increase in the difficulty?  That's way better than what I was expecting.  

Well, that's just a few days of sales so far. But yes, it illustrates that it's not as easy as it may seem to move the difficulty of a 400+ PH/s network.
legendary
Activity: 1096
Merit: 1021

Glow Stick Dance!
So who is buying the S7?

I think it has too little power. I thought it would have around 10 - 20 TH/s. But okay, it has the new chips.

When is 16nm coming? For me in Germany it is hard to mine with those prices for electricity... :/

And what kind of circuit are you going to run a 10-20THs miner? Remember, the S7 is aimed at the home miner.

I would rather call it a shed- or basement- or outside-of-home miner if it is really going to be 75dB or more as some are suggesting.

By saying "home miner", I mean that the S7 is designed to run on an average home's circuits rather than only in a datacenter. Where the person decides to place the miner in their home is irrelevant. But yes, a garage or basement is the best place to run most any miner.  Smiley
legendary
Activity: 4256
Merit: 8551
'The right to privacy matters'
So who is buying the S7?

I have done prisma and it was loud it also needed 2 fans not one.

My gut feeling is this will be 75db and same nasty pitch.

I think fan mods will help knock sound down a bit.

but loud it has to be  if you want to get that 4800 gh out of it.
legendary
Activity: 1484
Cant wait to see the sound level.
legendary
Activity: 3892
Merit: 4331
So who is buying the S7?

Glow Stick Dance!
So who is buying the S7?

Jump to: