Pages:
Author

Topic: ANTMINER U3 Discussion and Support Thread - page 8. (Read 149094 times)

Activity: 116
Merit: 10
February 02, 2016, 06:13:43 PM
Hello.

I have two U3 with raspberry powered via PSU standard.

I had got a lot of problem (zombie, low hash,... ) until I compiled de bitmain cgminer version: https://github.com/bitmaintech/cgminer

After compiling and executing that version the U3 works flawlessly, no zombies and stable hashing...

When you say no zombies how long has it been up?  Long term was hat I always had issues with when I had 3, although I don't think I tried that version.

Thanks for sharing though.

I had the antminer u3 from about 2015 august with no zombies at all and very stable hashing.
legendary
Activity: 1456
Merit: 1000
February 01, 2016, 02:22:55 PM

Usually I am happy to help out and get people up and running, and I have done so with the numerous miners I've sold and provided support to. But honestly you are coming off as a bit of a dbag and not worth the effort.

please accept my apologies, this wasn't my intention Smiley (I thought I was a bit harsh maybe after reading my post)

but I'm a sceptic, so I'm usually pretty careful about people talking about best practice when their own work doesn't differ at all from the official manual (linked here in pdf for your convenience), and you do not even start to hint as to why you're making these claim.

So please, prove me wrong. (and again, I do not mean to offend you, consider me as stupid old grumpy french douchebag if you want  Grin Grin)

No apology needed, trust me you didn't hurt my feelings.

I run linux, and have a few custom scripts I ran with my U3 which honestly are written in a way that probably wouldn't be much use on here. I base my advice on the 3 limit from the feedback I have received from my customers. I don't run any U3 anymore, and sold out my stock. As I mentioned, the guide was written for my customers by myself. Most see the chinese in the bitmain manual and get freaked out. Others don't want to sift through a forum to find their answers.

I don't follow that guide myself because
1. I don't run U3, and when I did it was mainly just 3 via a standard powered USB hub
2. When I did need to run more than 3 it was on linux (which most of my customers don't use) and was highly custom.

If you still have questions than honestly I don't know what to tell you.

You can save money on usb hubs if your using U3's no need for a fancy powered hub that is nice.  I know I used a cheap usb 2.0 hub. Since they have power from the bricks, or a PSU in some cases the hub does not need to be powered. 

At the time I was also selling Avalon Nanos and the gs conpacs. So the powered hub was a necessity. Not to mention I have so many usb hubs lying around its a moot point. But you are definitely right, I should add in the guide a powered hub is not necessary.

And I know it's not a huge thing.  I just mentioned it as I used unpowered with R1 and worked very well.  And a unpowered usb 2.0 hub works perfect with a R1 setup, and costs a few bucks. 

Also you can use that unpowered 2.0 with RPI as it likes them to.   But I can see your point I to have hub's sitting here if I ever need to use one.
Activity: 98
February 01, 2016, 08:40:45 AM

Usually I am happy to help out and get people up and running, and I have done so with the numerous miners I've sold and provided support to. But honestly you are coming off as a bit of a dbag and not worth the effort.

please accept my apologies, this wasn't my intention Smiley (I thought I was a bit harsh maybe after reading my post)

but I'm a sceptic, so I'm usually pretty careful about people talking about best practice when their own work doesn't differ at all from the official manual (linked here in pdf for your convenience), and you do not even start to hint as to why you're making these claim.

So please, prove me wrong. (and again, I do not mean to offend you, consider me as stupid old grumpy french douchebag if you want  Grin Grin)

I run linux, and have a few custom scripts I ran with my U3 which honestly are written in a way that probably wouldn't be much use on here. I base my advice on the 3 limit from the feedback I have received from my customers. I don't run any U3 anymore, and sold out my stock. As I mentioned, the guide was written for my customers by myself. Most see the chinese in the bitmain manual and get freaked out. Others don't want to sift through a forum to find their answers.

1. I don't run U3, and when I did it was mainly just 3 via a standard powered USB hub
2. When I did need to run more than 3 it was on linux (which most of my customers don't use) and was highly custom.

You can save money on usb hubs if your using U3's no need for a fancy powered hub that is nice.  I know I used a cheap usb 2.0 hub. Since they have power from the bricks, or a PSU in some cases the hub does not need to be powered. 

At the time I was also selling Avalon Nanos and the gs conpacs. So the powered hub was a necessity. Not to mention I have so many usb hubs lying around its a moot point. But you are definitely right, I should add in the guide a powered hub is not necessary.
legendary
February 01, 2016, 12:35:40 AM

So please, prove me wrong. (and again, I do not mean to offend you, consider me as stupid old grumpy french douchebag if you want  Grin Grin)

legendary
Activity: 1274
I agree, the R1 with Crazyguy's firm ware was the only definitive thing that ever made a difference in my experiences with U3.  They are so random how they behave, different for almost everybody, and even the same unit will behave different for one owner is the same setup.  I had one that wouldn't hash, then it would, then it only would hash with 20% error, then it was fine again and the whole time I never did anything different to it.
legendary

So please, prove me wrong. (and again, I do not mean to offend you, consider me as stupid old grumpy french douchebag if you want  Grin Grin)

My lotto mining was a pain with just 3 U3's.  I rebooted them at morning and night when I used a windows host computer.  I could count on at least one zombie if not more then, and they did happen during day it was like babysitting.

My best advice is get a R1 they listed on bitmain's site now.  Use crazy guy's custom firmware on it.    It will automatically restart if one zombies on U3.  In all my time of playing with U3's it is the best solution I found.  Crazy guy did a great job on his custom firmware.
zOU
Activity: 728
Merit: 500
★ these are stars ★

It varies but best practice is to limit it to 3 unless you are more experienced. The guide was written for people who bought U3 from me and have had trouble figuring out how to run 1-3 of them. From my experience people could run 3 on one instance of cgminer using the basic commands without much hit to hashrate or other troubles. That was the same experience I had as well. Of course I personally ran many more than that while doing QA on the batches I've sold, but I used a few workarounds that were a bit out of the scope for the guide.

I do no claim to be experienced in any way, but for the sake of clarity and sharing information I would very much appreciate if you could share your "best practices" as your guide,even though it is very nice" doesn't bring anything not already covered here and in Bitmain's manual.

However, alleged best practices are always welcome even more if they're documented and proved.

I ran 6 (now 5) with no tuning whatsoever, and apart from running them on a modified Antrouter, I've yet to find a magic solution to Zombies (and alleged drop in hash rate over 3 U3)

So, can you please share the fruit of your experience ?

Thank you

zOU
★ these are stars ★

It varies but best practice is to limit it to 3 unless you are more experienced. The guide was written for people who bought U3 from me and have had trouble figuring out how to run 1-3 of them. From my experience people could run 3 on one instance of cgminer using the basic commands without much hit to hashrate or other troubles. That was the same experience I had as well. Of course I personally ran many more than that while doing QA on the batches I've sold, but I used a few workarounds that were a bit out of the scope for the guide.

I do no claim to be experienced in any way, but for the sake of clarity and sharing information I would very much appreciate if you could share your "best practices" as your guide,even though it is very nice" doesn't bring anything not already covered here and in Bitmain's manual.

However, alleged best practices are always welcome even more if they're documented and proved.

I ran 6 (now 5) with no tuning whatsoever, and apart from running them on a modified Antrouter, I've yet to find a magic solution to Zombies (and alleged drop in hash rate over 3 U3)

So, can you please share the fruit of your experience ?

Thank you
Can you please develop the following:

Note that you won’t want to run anymore than 3 of these on one instance of cgminer. You can do more but it is much more advanced to set up. You will notice a significant decrease in hashrate.

I've been running 6 with no impact on hasrate whatsoever (until some died)

zOU
★ these are stars ★
Can you please develop the following:

Note that you won’t want to run anymore than 3 of these on one instance of cgminer. You can do more but it is much more advanced to set up. You will notice a significant decrease in hashrate.

I've been running 6 with no impact on hasrate whatsoever (until some died)

Configuration
Wiring:
  • Plug in the USB cable from the U3 to your computer.
  • Plug in the power supply into the mains.
  • Plug in power supply into the U3.

Configuration:
  • Download the latest version of CGMiner and Zadig.
  • Extract, and run the zadig application.
  • Select "CP21202 USB to UART Bridge Controller" and then click "Replace Driver". You only have to do this once per computer.
  • Create a new file in notepad and enter pool information as below. Save it as a .bat in the same folder as CGMiner.
  • Run the bat file to start mining.

That wasn't clear enough ? Smiley

You would be surprised.
zOU
★ these are stars ★

Configuration
Wiring:
  • Plug in the USB cable from the U3 to your computer.
  • Plug in the power supply into the mains.
  • Plug in power supply into the U3.

Configuration:
  • Download the latest version of CGMiner and Zadig.
  • Extract, and run the zadig application.
  • Select "CP21202 USB to UART Bridge Controller" and then click "Replace Driver". You only have to do this once per computer.
  • Create a new file in notepad and enter pool information as below. Save it as a .bat in the same folder as CGMiner.
  • Run the bat file to start mining.

That wasn't clear enough ? Smiley
Hey guys just wanted to repost my guide for getting these working in Windows. Website was down for a bit but should be back up for good.

http://hakedev.com/wp/2016/01/06/setting-up-your-antminer-u3-in-windows-8-1-updated-2016/
zOU
★ these are stars ★
legendary
Hello.

I had got a lot of problem (zombie, low hash,... ) until I compiled de bitmain cgminer version: https://github.com/bitmaintech/cgminer

After compiling and executing that version the U3 works flawlessly, no zombies and stable hashing...

When you say no zombies how long has it been up?  Long term was hat I always had issues with when I had 3, although I don't think I tried that version.

Thanks for sharing though.
Activity: 116
Hello.

legendary
yes the blue plate gets hot, that's why my 1st 3 U3 hadeach a 60mm fan under push air up against the base plate.

That's why I built the shelf so that each U3 would "suck" air from under the one on top of it + 2 120mm fans at the bottom

Yea I noticed the same that it got hot.  I was surprised as a design they designed it like that, if you look at bottom of  U3 it's almost like a little heatsink how they have multiple lines under it.

I will get a picture of area I ran mine in sometime.    It was overkill on fans but they did not heat up on bad with not overclocking.
zOU
★ these are stars ★
yes the blue plate gets hot, that's why my 1st 3 U3 hadeach a 60mm fan under push air up against the base plate.

That's why I built the shelf so that each U3 would "suck" air from under the one on top of it + 2 120mm fans at the bottom
Pages:
Jump to: