Pages:
Author

Topic: [Archive] BFL trolling museum - page 19. (Read 69365 times)

Activity: 896
Merit: 532
Former curator of The Bitcoin Museum
January 16, 2013, 07:46:22 AM
Does anyone who doesn't have any skin in the game still believe BFL is for real?

It seems to me that the only people who believe BFL isn't some kind of scam are those with pre-orders, the same way that only those with large investments in BCS&T believed that Pirateat40 was for real towards the end.

BFL adherents, when will you allow yourselves to consider the fact that this is a scam. When the February deadline is missed? Or are you such chumps that you will allow a convicted fraudster to lead you through yet another hoop?

I see this as one of my investments.  If it pans out, it'll pay off.  If it doesn't, I'll move on to my next venture.

Anyone who invests money they can't afford to lose, should just put it in a savings account.
Activity: 574
Merit: 500
January 16, 2013, 03:56:17 AM
Quote from: nathanrees19 link=topic=87934.msg1457132#msg1457132
they're still better off financially if they delay again, because they can expect a fresh wave of orders when people eventually see that the devices actually work.

Lets imagine a couple of lame-ass delays how dog ate their homework and then in march when they finally have a board that can be tested find out that is does not and they do need to delay things to may for a second attempt with no guarantee it is not going to be july with the 3rd. Do they get a fresh wave of orders? I dunno. The preorder customers seem to be so silly bunch of people that absolutely nothing is going to surprise me anymore.

+1

There is definitely that smell in the air

After Ship latest January in late November..I am out to watch as a rational human I wont accept any more rubbish

It does remind me of the Nigerian money scams where the people are so indebited (i.e already sent 1000's) that they have to believe its real otherwise there whole world crashes down that they keep sending more money as a reaffirmation that it is real..

I.E the more i send the more reasons to believe it is real..

Good Luck with that...lol

January 16, 2013, 03:50:20 AM
I just can't understand why BFL would still be around (along with all it's 25 paid employees) if they were scammers.  What would they be trying to accomplish right now?  They are losing money that they could have run with every day, both through issuance of refunds and through payment of rent/employees/etc, and Josh in particular is spending a great deal of time creating elaborate stories and specific details that they couldn't release earlier not.  If they were scammers, why didn't they make up these stories much earlier on?  Why not give out these details from day one?  Or at the very least, months ago?  I just see so many things that point to them not being scammers, I really can't see it as a serious possibility.

Well, if it is a scam, that's exactly what they want you to think...

Agreed Cheesy
January 16, 2013, 03:47:17 AM
So, you all saw this right?
I have seen it already a month ago, 2 months ago, 3 months ago, 4 months ago... How many times should I watch this movies again and again?
Tis certainly entirely up to you.  Get a refund if you're tired of it.

Do u work for BFL ?
Nope.  Though to be fair, they did pay me to advertise my signature space a while back (along with many others).

I just like to defend against logical fallacies.  You know, the whole "Someone is WRONG on the internet!" xkcd thing?  Yeah, that's me.  Wink

Working for BFl was a bit over the top.....we all make mistakes

"Would have run by now" thats the only thing that is really shaky in  my book

We all have our crosses to bear (Catholic) or Allahu Akba to my muslim friends & Hey "i brought a goat" for my pagan brothers  
I just can't understand why BFL would still be around (along with all it's 25 paid employees) if they were scammers.  What would they be trying to accomplish right now?  They are losing money that they could have run with every day, both through issuance of refunds and through payment of rent/employees/etc, and Josh in particular is spending a great deal of time creating elaborate stories and specific details that they couldn't release earlier not.  If they were scammers, why didn't they make up these stories much earlier on?  Why not give out these details from day one?  Or at the very least, months ago?  I just see so many things that point to them not being scammers, I really can't see it as a serious possibility.

Another person mentioned because of the bASIC SCAM they really needed to settle the market

Hey presto one detailed long explanation..

Would they gone to this great length without bASIC meltdown hmmm..maybe maybe not

Everything is about managing confidence whether they are real or not...ok i believe they are trying to do what they say

but from a technical standpoint what they have put out to the public so far is a load of malarky....so i am calling schnannygins

If there is more in the background there is absolutely no reason (all the business secrets is balony) why not to release more...it stands from a PR perspective to go gang busters with graphs, pictures, test results (within reason)...and here is our working proto ...how many pre sales would they have if all of this was in place ...take x * 300%

Trust is earned not given

Hey if they come through i will re-instate my order i cancelled 3 days ago

Activity: 196
Merit: 100
January 16, 2013, 03:42:05 AM
Do they get a fresh wave of orders? I dunno.

I would imagine that any company that ships (and has well-known forum members posting that the device works) is going to get orders no matter how long it took them to get to that stage. Well, assuming the product is still competitive.
Activity: 209
Merit: 101
FUTURE OF CRYPTO IS HERE!
January 16, 2013, 03:33:32 AM
Quote from: nathanrees19 link=topic=87934.msg1457132#msg1457132
they're still better off financially if they delay again, because they can expect a fresh wave of orders when people eventually see that the devices actually work.

Lets imagine a couple of lame-ass delays how dog ate their homework and then in march when they finally have a board that can be tested find out that is does not and they do need to delay things to may for a second attempt with no guarantee it is not going to be july with the 3rd. Do they get a fresh wave of orders? I dunno. The preorder customers seem to be so silly bunch of people that absolutely nothing is going to surprise me anymore.
January 16, 2013, 03:05:56 AM
What happens if there is a problem found from the first iteration of the ASIC is anybodys guess.

Well, there are reasons to believe that this already happened...they're still better off financially if they delay again, because they can expect a fresh wave of orders when people eventually see that the devices actually work.
Activity: 209
Merit: 101
FUTURE OF CRYPTO IS HERE!
January 16, 2013, 02:58:51 AM
I see a lot of people trying to convince themselves that things are legit by inventing ONE scenario of possible scam or ONE typical sign of a scam and because this is not like the ONE then it must be legit. And of course there are only two extreme cases a 100% legit or 100% scam. nothing inbetween.

The company structure is pretty suitable for a scam. A family business, where several members of one family is in it together. It is pretty logical to think that they all think pretty much alike. And then in addition take one or two non-family people in it. It is also pretty easy to vet these couple of people so that they are longtime friends so that you know they are on the same page how things are going to unfold. There is absolutely no reason to let every employee know about the script the company ends up doing in the end.

It is also quite possible that things can be run as a semi-scam and I would think this is quite common way of thinking in thousands of small business startups. The thinking goes, lets try it for a while, it either succeeds in which case I and everybody else ends up happy, or the other alternative is that there are insurmountable problems found during the operation in which case the company needs to fold, but I will still take care of myself generously.

I believe this is not that far off in here. There are three major possibilities.
A) Everything works out okay, we ship devices and everybody is happy.
B) The first prototype ASIC turns up not working, the businesscase for the respin does not look good, so lets bleed the company dry of any money and fold it and everything looks like a legal try that ended up pearshaped with the few of us making millions.
C) If there are too much refunds to cause problems too early, then we can fold the company in midway, but since this might end up looking messy, then lets try to avoid this and go for plan B if at all possible.

For the record I have the belief that there is an ASIC in the pipeline at BFL.
What happens if there is a problem found from the first iteration of the ASIC is anybodys guess. Maybe only people who carry the name Vleisides and a select few of others know that at this moment. I don't belive Josh is in on the secret of that.
Activity: 756
Merit: 501
There is more to Bitcoin than bitcoins.
January 16, 2013, 02:51:01 AM

If the engineers are in on it, their professional career is dead, so the scam would need to support them for the rest of their life.
Can you name three BFL engineers?

Let me guess, you're thinking "if a random forum poster can't name three engineers, their careers are 100% safe if they're all involved in a scam and they know this".

He's probably thinking that if BFL are running a scam then they don't need to hire engineers with reputations that aren't worth losing for a big scam, or even any engineers at all.

If you could name three BFL engineers with reputations so solid that they would have a financial disincentive to take a share in a big scam rather than continue lucrative careers then it would definitely give them a lot more legitimacy.

The only employees I am aware of are the convicted fraudster CEO and Josh, who is so extremely unprofessional it is beyond belief.

Three people on LinkedIn have Butterfly Labs on their profiles. None of them are engineers.

Something like that, yes.  I have never, anywhere, claimed to consider BFL a scam; since September last year, however, I have on several occasions done service to the community by pointing out that BFL seem to be a bunch of mostly incompetent and dishonest folks - at least those with public presence (Josh, Sonny, and "chips were not flawed" Nasser).

Activity: 210
January 16, 2013, 02:49:05 AM
along with all it's 25 paid employees

Who are these employees? I know a lot of people get accused of working for them, haha, but I am yet to see many people actually come out and say they are working for them. As I already said, there are only 3 on LinkedIn.

If they actually are employing 25 people who have solid careers behind them, then yeah, it is a good point. However at this point (as far as I know) all we have is their word that they have 25 employees. Please correct me if I am wrong.
January 16, 2013, 02:47:00 AM

Well, if it is a scam, that's exactly what they want you to think...
legendary
Activity: 1400
Merit: 1005
January 16, 2013, 02:38:48 AM
So, you all saw this right?
I have seen it already a month ago, 2 months ago, 3 months ago, 4 months ago... How many times should I watch this movies again and again?
Tis certainly entirely up to you.  Get a refund if you're tired of it.

Do u work for BFL ?
Nope.  Though to be fair, they did pay me to advertise my signature space a while back (along with many others).

I just like to defend against logical fallacies.  You know, the whole "Someone is WRONG on the internet!" xkcd thing?  Yeah, that's me.  Wink

Working for BFl was a bit over the top.....we all make mistakes

"Would have run by now" thats the only thing that is really shaky in  my book

We all have our crosses to bear (Catholic) or Allahu Akba to my muslim friends & Hey "i brought a goat" for my pagan brothers  
Activity: 210
January 16, 2013, 01:46:45 AM

If the engineers are in on it, their professional career is dead, so the scam would need to support them for the rest of their life.
Can you name three BFL engineers?

Let me guess, you're thinking "if a random forum poster can't name three engineers, their careers are 100% safe if they're all involved in a scam and they know this".

He's probably thinking that if BFL are running a scam then they don't need to hire engineers with reputations that aren't worth losing for a big scam, or even any engineers at all.

If you could name three BFL engineers with reputations so solid that they would have a financial disincentive to take a share in a big scam rather than continue lucrative careers then it would definitely give them a lot more legitimacy.

The only employees I am aware of are the convicted fraudster CEO and Josh, who is so extremely unprofessional it is beyond belief.

Three people on LinkedIn have Butterfly Labs on their profiles. None of them are engineers.
January 16, 2013, 12:43:14 AM
What none of these ASIC vendors seem eager to point out to us is that the process of making an ASIC is not just a linear set of steps, but has conditional branching statements.  Something like:

1: Design
2: Simulate
3: Produce a prototype on MPW, get it wirebound and packaged, then delivered.
4: Test the prototype.  If testing fails, go to step 1.
5: Full wafer production, etc, more steps.

The hard part is getting past step 4.

I am in s/w not h/w but i agree a 5 step process with multiple iterations

This has not occured...the RISK factor is high

If this is the process that they have followed & it works I will take my hat off to them because I could not achieve this result as it is really a roll of the device  (if this is the process that they have followed)

legendary
Activity: 1918
Merit: 1570
Bitcoin: An Idea Worth Spending
January 16, 2013, 12:40:33 AM
What none of these ASIC vendors seem eager to point out to us is that the process of making an ASIC is not just a linear set of steps, but has conditional branching statements.  Something like:

http://www.edaboard.com/thread129919.html

Re: TO be ASIC or not

If you are not experienced in ASIC design you should contact an ASIC design company to help you through the process. They offer tools, relationships and expertise that you will need to get it done.

The design process, in broad strokes, is as follows:

1. Write a specification that defines what the chip is suposed to do. Try to include example input files and desired outputs. The spec should also cover things like desired packaging with its pin configuration, what power supply will be used, etc.

2. Write an executable description of the chip behavior. This is usually in an RTL (register transfer level) language like Verilog or VHDL. Sometimes a higher level model of the chip is constructed first using C, C++ or System-C. But eventually you end up with an RTL description.

3. Perform functional simulation of the RTL to verify if it does what you want it to do.

4. Synthesize the RTL description to a gate level dscription that targets a particular foundry's library (e.g.: use Synopsys' Design Compiler tool or similar).

5. Implement the physical design of the chip with an automated place & route tool (e.g.: from Cadence, Synopsys, Magma or Mentor Graphics)

6. Perform physical verification to check that the chip layout matches what you wanted and meets all physical design rules.

7. Send the final layout and some test vectors to the fabrication partner to make, test and package some prototype chips.

8. Test the physical prototypes to verify they work. If they work you can go straight to volume production. If they don't, you will have to correct the error and make some more prototypes.
legendary
Activity: 966
Merit: 1000
January 16, 2013, 12:26:10 AM

January 16, 2013, 12:18:54 AM
Hence, they're still at phase-1, "Simulate".

That's probably wrong.

If the chips they received (prototype or otherwise) had clocking issues, then they never would have been able to run them at anything remotely close to full speed (ie. max heat). Simulation is not only done in "phase 1".
January 16, 2013, 12:11:44 AM
I asked specifically at which point the failure would be expected. An ignorant "HERP DERP THEY WONT DELIVER" is not a specific point.

Possible answers from someone who isn't stupid would be "the fab won't have finished all the layers in time" or "the packaging will take longer than expected" or "chips will get stuck in customs" or "functional testing will fail" or "thermal/environmental testing will fail" etc.

That one.  (In bold above.)

Agreed. If there is to be a problem, that would be the most serious.

I was largely testing the other poster Wink

NO PROTOTYPE

How do you know there was no prototype? A prototype with major issues (eg. overheating or reliability issues) would not be something they would want to brag about or produce demos of, but they would learn what they need to produce a full run of working chips.

Um, the batch of chips that was received in December was a full-wafer run.  I believe Josh mentioned 100k chips.

The ones with the major overheating and clock stability issues.

That may very well be true, and I hope for their sake that they learned everything they could from those chips if that's the case.
Activity: 310
Merit: 250
January 16, 2013, 12:08:35 AM
There's a couple people on this board that have a unhealthy obsession with religion.

Usually Catholicism... but I digress.

Someone said they can't imagine dissapating 60w of heat cause their 300w video card can do it.

Imagine 60w of heat pumping into the PCB, not out through cooler. That's the problem with QFN packages as opposed to BGA packages.

Also, the chip is flipped upside down, so the chip part is close to the Cooler.
legendary
Activity: 3878
Merit: 1193
January 16, 2013, 12:08:15 AM
Not going to pull it out again but there was something like 3 steps

Simulate
Full production Run
Build & deliver

It's quite logical. They've shown no demo, therefore they've never build a prototype. Since there was no prototype, they never had actual chips. Their latest update is all about how the simulations in December showed barely acceptable limits. Hence, they're still at phase-1, "Simulate". The odds of them shipping final products "Week of February 10th" is virtually nil.
Pages:
Jump to: