Pages:
Author

Topic: ASICMiner BE300S Samples Arrived, <0.2W/G Achieved at Board Level - page 14. (Read 66402 times)

legendary
Activity: 2128
Merit: 1119

Ignore those things, they have exposed terminals and are NOT user friendly. I don't know why they're being discussed for an introductory consumer device.

Exposed terminals - shock horror - and why the shouting ?

You should lie low after having recommended duff 12V supplies.  We're talking reliability here.

1) Yes, exposed terminals on a beginner's device is not a good idea - that should be obvious.
2) What do you mean shouting?
3) What 'duff' 12V supplies? You mean the ones on Amazon, that sell 100s a month and have a 4+ star rating?

I agree on exposed terminals - bad idea for beginners. I really like the Rock Miner 100GH unit, but it needing a computer PSU sort of makes it border line beginner friendly in my opinion. If AM could make something that uses a power brick and had a built in controller similar in size to the RM device...that would be the perfect unit for newbies! Or make it USB based to keep prices down, and have a simple GUI for cgminer/bfgminer included on a disc.

Edit: Hate to say this, but something like that software BFL used
legendary
Activity: 1666
Merit: 1183
dogiecoin.com

Ignore those things, they have exposed terminals and are NOT user friendly. I don't know why they're being discussed for an introductory consumer device.

You should lie low after having recommended duff 12V supplies.  We're talking reliability here.

1) Yes, exposed terminals on a beginner's device is not a good idea - that should be obvious.
2) What do you mean shouting?
3) What 'duff' 12V supplies? You mean the ones on Amazon, that sell 100s a month and have a 4+ star rating?
Activity: 51
Merit: 0

You should lie low after having recommended duff 12V supplies.  We're talking reliability here.
legendary
dogiecoin.com

look into, i think Delta's, laptop/desktop external PSUs, they hit the 87-90% but they are a higher voltage DC.
There is also nothing wrong with using a PCIe power adaptor off a desktop internal PSU

Perhaps domestic drivers for LEDs would be a good choice - if they produce 12V and don't try to drive a constant current.
Will do the study. Very interesting.

12V is also not a must. We only need to adjust the chain length.

perhaps looking into 48V power supplies wouldnt be a bad idea? Effectively driving 4x12V chains in series. I imagine the lower currents in the PSU and lower change in voltage may give good efficiency and perhaps lower cost.

There's no point chasing marginal savings if we're going to pay out of our asses for power infrastructure that doesn't exist. That is, in regards to scale, maturity, availability and cost.
legendary
Activity: 2114
Merit: 1005
ASIC Wannabe

look into, i think Delta's, laptop/desktop external PSUs, they hit the 87-90% but they are a higher voltage DC.
There is also nothing wrong with using a PCIe power adaptor off a desktop internal PSU

Perhaps domestic drivers for LEDs would be a good choice - if they produce 12V and don't try to drive a constant current.

perhaps looking into 48V power supplies wouldnt be a bad idea? Effectively driving 4x12V chains in series. I imagine the lower currents in the PSU and lower change in voltage may give good efficiency and perhaps lower cost.

for smaller miners though, 12V pcie connection is best. hobby mining isnt really meant for anything under 300W anyways, and there are some good, cheap 450W power supplies available in most countries
legendary
dogiecoin.com

All mining devices try to draw constant current anyway, so if they try to drive constant current it's also OK.

legendary
Activity: 3318
Merit: 1848
Curmudgeonly hardware guy
So, all the level shifting IO lines and clocking and such? Handy. I'll have to take a closer look at a Prisma board to see exactly what the FET would be doing (I have ideas). I am looking forward to the release of documentation.
Yes. The LDO output for IO and PLL are included as well.

The FETs help balance the voltage. For BE300 we may not include them, but we need experiment to see if it's true.

That's what I figured, the FET would act as a dummy load shunting extra current when the chips were underloaded in order to keep the string powered properly. Still like to see a hashrate/voltage chart or formula.
donator
Activity: 848

All mining devices try to draw constant current anyway, so if they try to drive constant current it's also OK.
donator
So, how chained chips board performs?
No data yet. But soon.
donator
So, all the level shifting IO lines and clocking and such? Handy. I'll have to take a closer look at a Prisma board to see exactly what the FET would be doing (I have ideas). I am looking forward to the release of documentation.
Yes. The LDO output for IO and PLL are included as well.

The FETs help balance the voltage. For BE300 we may not include them, but we need experiment to see if it's true.

legendary
Activity: 1029
Merit: 1000
So, how chained chips board performs?
legendary
Activity: 3318
Merit: 1848
Curmudgeonly hardware guy
Yep, good data (especially on the function of the PMIC) would be pretty nice, at least to get a rough idea of feasibility.
The PMS01 IC provides all the functionalities needed except the mosfet for chaining the chip into a string.

For the one-chip board, we still choose to use it instead of a bunch of buffers and LDOs for board simplicity.

Adding the core voltages to the GH/W table would still be quite nice. That would help people get a jump on figuring out designs for these chips.
legendary
dogiecoin.com
Coming up on 24 hours since I sent a email to AM and just like the other countless times I have sent them emails there has been no reply.

For all of you praising AM, this is the third time compensation has been promised. The deal looks great and they have managed to make many of you think they are a great company standing behind their products and taking care of their customers but there is no follow through. Just a bunch of empty promises.

Do you exactly expect them to file and respond to 1000 emails in a day? Its just PB being bombarded with emails, give him a chance to work through them. I received a response late last night.
Activity: 51
Merit: 0

Activity: 67
Merit: 10
Coming up on 24 hours since I sent a email to AM and just like the other countless times I have sent them emails there has been no reply.

For all of you praising AM, this is the third time compensation has been promised. The deal looks great and they have managed to make many of you think they are a great company standing behind their products and taking care of their customers but there is no follow through. Just a bunch of empty promises.
legendary
Activity: 1246
Merit: 1024
I think something small like Rock Miner did was pretty cool (the 100GH unit). Maybe make a pod like Bitmain...something that does not require a computer PSU to run.
The problem is that there may not be widely available high efficiency power bricks.

Competing with 70% efficiency bricks agains professional miners with 92% efficiency PSUs is hard.

There is if the aim is a starter device. To us the idea of paperclip jumping an ATX PSU is second nature, to newbies it's daunting.

I've been around personal computers since they were invented (Imsai and Altair). The idea of jumpering the PSU with a paperclip was daunting to me. The first time I did it I half expected the PSU to blow up. LOL.  Shocked
legendary
dogiecoin.com
I think something small like Rock Miner did was pretty cool (the 100GH unit). Maybe make a pod like Bitmain...something that does not require a computer PSU to run.
The problem is that there may not be widely available high efficiency power bricks.

Competing with 70% efficiency bricks agains professional miners with 92% efficiency PSUs is hard.

There is if the aim is a starter device. To us the idea of paperclip jumping an ATX PSU is second nature, to newbies it's daunting.
Activity: 767
Merit: 500

legendary
Activity: 966
Merit: 1003
If you want to see the numbers of home miners continue to grow then you must admit it will be from newcomers to BTC. An introductory sub-$100 miner is still going to be the best proponent of that. SO, would you like to watch Bitmain and others develop loyal customer base from providing an introductory device? Or do you gamble on breaking that relationship/loyalty between them and get the business from their pockets when they mature into highrollers.
donator

Pages:
Jump to: