Pages:
Author

Topic: ASICMiner BE300S Samples Arrived, <0.2W/G Achieved at Board Level - page 8. (Read 66401 times)

grn
Activity: 357
Merit: 252
- Spondoolies Tech 0.05W/G mid 2015
- KnCMiner 16nm 0.07W/G early 2015
- Cointerra 16nm 5X (?) Q1 2015 (5X refers to their TerraMiner IV I guess)
- Bitfury sub-0.1J/G mid-year 2015

When i will see intel and amd have a mature desktop cpu at 14nm, then! and only then i will believe those numbers!

The smaller we go the harder it is!

Just a shot in the dark:  under .1w/g in 2016!

I think it will happen in 2015.

It will likely be possible, but being possible and being the shipping clocks for a product is another thing. Maybe we will see both, maybe just one.

My money is on Bitfury and SP-Tech

sp tech has not met a target hash rate or power draw yet
Activity: 381
Merit: 251
most likely Q3 2015.
legendary
Activity: 896
Merit: 1001
But if BitFury does it, nobody gets to share the wealth?

I suppose it begs the question: can these any of these companies get chips manufactured quickly enough to account for their lower power? 
legendary
Activity: 3318
Merit: 1848
Curmudgeonly hardware guy
But if BitFury does it, nobody gets to share the wealth?
legendary
Activity: 2128
Merit: 1119

When i will see intel and amd have a mature desktop cpu at 14nm, then! and only then i will believe those numbers!

It will likely be possible, but being possible and being the shipping clocks for a product is another thing. Maybe we will see both, maybe just one.

My money is on Bitfury and SP-Tech
legendary
Activity: 1666
Merit: 1183
dogiecoin.com

legendary
Activity: 1904
Merit: 1007

Activity: 742
Merit: 500

legendary
BlackArrow still has money? How?
Activity: 195
Merit: 100
Mining since bitcoin was $1
BitcoinBrothers out of Germany claimed in November this year to have an ASIC based on a 16nm 3D finFET and have plans to unleash 300-400 PH onto the network in Q1 2015.   They also claim each of their 6 PH machines will consume 0.9 MW.  So using your initial assumption, it appears they are poised take a little more than 50% of the network (assuming they add 300 PH) using only 45 MW.
 I haven't dug very deeply into this claim but they seem to be echoing the claims of KNCminer as far as the 16nm 3D finFET based ASIC.  I haven't seen power consumption estimates from KNC however.  

Not sure where (electricity rate) they plan to drop their bomb, but the numbers you have posted put their power consumption at 0.15W/G.

Official claims we have (also from my internal report):

Not sure what to put on the Chinese ASIC manufacturers when it comes to official claims (Bitmain, Avalon, InnoSilicon, who else is significant or still in business?).

BlackArrow has made claims using a finFET asic chip as well at the .07W/gh - claiming 20TH from about the same draw as the 1TH of the x3.  BS or not - we will have to see.
Activity: 441
Merit: 250
BitcoinBrothers out of Germany claimed in November this year to have an ASIC based on a 16nm 3D finFET and have plans to unleash 300-400 PH onto the network in Q1 2015.   They also claim each of their 6 PH machines will consume 0.9 MW.  So using your initial assumption, it appears they are poised take a little more than 50% of the network (assuming they add 300 PH) using only 45 MW.
 I haven't dug very deeply into this claim but they seem to be echoing the claims of KNCminer as far as the 16nm 3D finFET based ASIC.  I haven't seen power consumption estimates from KNC however.  

Not sure where (electricity rate) they plan to drop their bomb, but the numbers you have posted put their power consumption at 0.15W/G.

Not sure what to put on the Chinese ASIC manufacturers when it comes to official claims (Bitmain, Avalon, InnoSilicon, who else is significant or still in business?).

The above figures are all somewhat speculative, there is nothing remotely close to them currently on sale, and anything that does come out is likely to  be running deep sub threshold, so you'll need 2 or 3 times as many chips to get competitive hash rates per unit area of silicon. This is clearly what AM have done, same as Bitfury. It's not new or 'experimental', companies have been doing this for years.

The only one that looks realistic (in both term of power consumption and silicon efficiency) is Cointerra's of 0.225 W/(GH/sec). KNC's is pure fantasy and Spondoolies said they would aim for their figure. I'm sure they'll get there but I'm also sure they'll be honest about how they did it ......

legendary
Activity: 1029
Merit: 1000
The next step is to test the board with fully inhabited 24 chips.
Results? Competition says 0.5J/GH. AM says......... ?
Activity: 489
Immersionist

legendary
Activity: 3808
Merit: 7912
They have to find really cheap power, if you ask me! i want to see 0.01$/KWh! That way they could build a really big farm an mine the hell out of the blockchain. AM isn't a small player, they should go as far as possible and re-claim those 40% in 2015! Also they could continue to offer a cutting-edge cloud mining!

Even if the network wouldn't grow much from today on, claiming 40% of the network possibly means building 100-150MW worth of new Bitcoin mines in 2015. That's about half of all of Google's capacity (265MW) by power combined. And twice the size of Facebook (78MW). And it remains a moving target during and after.

I had a post here with some numbers I put together recently:

Energy Consumption of the Bitcoin Network
https://bitcointalksearch.org/topic/m.9825138

Never going to happen, they simply don't have the cash to do that on this generation. Even Bitfury's level of cash would only just allow them to do that (if they started from 0%).

BitcoinBrothers out of Germany claimed in November this year to have an ASIC based on a 16nm 3D finFET and have plans to unleash 300-400 PH onto the network in Q1 2015.   They also claim each of their 6 PH machines will consume 0.9 MW.  So using your initial assumption, it appears they are poised take a little more than 50% of the network (assuming they add 300 PH) using only 45 MW.
 I haven't dug very deeply into this claim but they seem to be echoing the claims of KNCminer as far as the 16nm 3D finFET based ASIC.  I haven't seen power consumption estimates from KNC however.

legendary
Activity: 1666
Merit: 1183
dogiecoin.com
They have to find really cheap power, if you ask me! i want to see 0.01$/KWh! That way they could build a really big farm an mine the hell out of the blockchain. AM isn't a small player, they should go as far as possible and re-claim those 40% in 2015! Also they could continue to offer a cutting-edge cloud mining!

Even if the network wouldn't grow much from today on, claiming 40% of the network possibly means building 100-150MW worth of new Bitcoin mines in 2015. That's about half of all of Google's capacity (265MW) by power combined. And twice the size of Facebook (78MW). And it remains a moving target during and after.

Never going to happen, they simply don't have the cash to do that on this generation. Even Bitfury's level of cash would only just allow them to do that (if they started from 0%).
Activity: 489
Immersionist

legendary
*cough*decentralize*cough*
Activity: 644
Inspired
The spring will be an interesting time for sure.  I hope FC and AM build a decent size self mine with their cheap power in China.
AMHash takes 47$/Ths/month (0.8W/Ghs) = 0.08 USD/kwh - is it a cheap power?

There is cheaper power in CN, however there are plenty of other reasons that manufacturers want farms in other countries even if they're more expensive.

I LOVE this talk.
Guns a'blazin.
Activity: 518
Trust me!
The spring will be an interesting time for sure.  I hope FC and AM build a decent size self mine with their cheap power in China.
AMHash takes 47$/Ths/month (0.8W/Ghs) = 0.08 USD/kwh - is it a cheap power?

There is cheaper power in CN, however there are plenty of other reasons that manufacturers want farms in other countries even if they're more expensive.

Activity: 434
Merit: 250
So uh, so when do we get to see the Vcore/GH curve?

It might be misleading to post it for the BE300S if he thinks that they're going to be significantly different than BE300 - which its suggested it will be.

Right, but at least it'd be a good starting point. We have really good data on expected W/GH at various GH setpoints, but without knowing either the I or the V, the W is basically useless except for cooling concerns and overarching "efficiency" marketability. Sure we can plan heatsinks, but not string lengths or VRM outputs or anything. Even in accurate data is still data.

the only reason FC is obliged to release any specs at all is due to the fact that the company is in perpetual ISO.
we all know the initial specs will be a wide variation of the finished product, it's always the case with AM.
Pages:
Jump to: