Pages:
Author

Topic: Avalon 8 official specs released - page 20. (Read 30297 times)

legendary
Activity: 1498
Merit: 1030
December 20, 2017, 07:27:08 PM
This is far below what they forecasted last month (14 TH/s @ 1300W). I was hoping we might get a little more, not 20+% less. I love Canaan, but this is making me re-think my purchase plan for next year.

I like it a lot better from the "not insane can only use server or VERY HIGH PRICE atx" power supply standpoint.

Perhaps the posted spec is a BASE spec and you can overclock to get to the 14/1300 level?

(edit) just noticed the 841 part of that one post - 13 at 1200 is pretty close to 14/1300, but I bet they have to use more chips running at lower voltage (and probably end up at a HIGHER COST) to get there vs the 821.
Activity: 189
Merit: 100
ƃqɹᴉllᴉɐuʇb
December 20, 2017, 05:29:52 PM
Outstanding news.  I think the age of sha256 miners being less than $2000 are on the back burner for now. At 2k the 821 is a great deal IMO. 
Activity: 5
Merit: 0
December 20, 2017, 01:43:08 PM
That's cool! I guess, it will be available for orders this spring?
Activity: 140
Merit: 100
December 20, 2017, 12:45:24 PM
At the high value of BTC (currently... it's fallen 10% today, though), I would expect a price from distributors of $2000-$2200. Minerwarez and Blokforge are both listing the out of stock 741s over $1000. The 8 is MUCH more efficient and will fetch a premium.

I'll buy as many as I can get my hands on, provided the price isn't insane (BTC is falling, but BCH is surging over $4000 USD at the moment).

Priced at or near the cost of the Bitmain S9, I will go with Canaan for the simplicity of dealing with a Distributor in the US or Canada.
legendary
Activity: 1764
Merit: 1756
Verified Bernie Bro - Feel The Bern!
December 20, 2017, 11:45:11 AM

821 Prices:   We have not yet settled on price for 821, but it will be driven by market forces and the price of Bitcoin. Demand for product is more than 10X of the supply and the pricing in the spot market clearly reflects this. As well, the price of BTC has drawn in many new customers. As soon as I have pricing I will communicate it to you. Please do not ask for it, we will tell everyone at the same time.

821:  The Avalon 821 will ship at 11 TH (terahash) and 1200 Watts for a power efficiency of 109Watts per TH, a great improvement over the 741 which was rated at 150 Watts/TH.

Well  it is nice  since it will still be able to run on a usa 15 amp 120 volt circuit

but it will be priced high based on what he said.

maybe 2000

You can count on that one!!!

There was a lot of thought put into the wording of that release and breaking it down might help some folks prepare for whats coming!

When a company tells you there's a 10x supply/demand ratio skew, simple economics come into play.  Meaning in an imperfect market where demand greatly exceeds supply (like 10x!!) price is always set by the most optimistic of buyers.  It will always go to the 1 in 10 person willing to pay the most.  Anything less is money left on the table and NO company ever wants that, trust me on that one!  It's also important to notice their mention of spot price.  Their telling us they know what in hand units sell for so guess what, they want that margin for themselves and their distys.  No surprise really as this is what all companies do...

Lastly the mention of bitcoin price in determining price, if coins stay high so do machine prices, simple as that.  I don't see them caring much about being close to Bitmain in $/TH.  Of course the danger is getting to greedy and that is always the fine line.  Hehe but at 10x there's a lot of room to play and find out Smiley

You can consider that paragraph as the lube for whats coming  Wink

Activity: 38
Merit: 1
December 20, 2017, 10:40:06 AM

Fair. The price increase on the S9 definitely impacts calculations:

• S9 14000 GH/s @ 1372 Watts @ $2725 => .098 Watts/GH and $.195 price/GH
  • 821 11000 GH/s @ 1200 Watts @ $2150 => .109 Watts/GH and $.195 price/GH

Basically, at $2150 for the Avalon 821, you're paying approx the same cost per GH, and it's only slightly less energy efficient. Anything less than that would be a win over the latest batch of S9s.

Mikez_nj, where did you find the Avalon 821 price to be $2,150? On their web page, they are only selling in bulk for 60 units, but without price disclosure.

https://canaan.io/shop/

I don't have a price. My point was that $2150 is approximately the inflection point where the value is the same as the S9 (solely based on the numbers) - so anything below that is a win over the S9.

The announcement this morning makes this much better.
Activity: 112
Merit: 6
December 20, 2017, 10:21:41 AM
legendary
Activity: 4116
Merit: 7849
'The right to privacy matters'
December 20, 2017, 10:13:31 AM
Activity: 112
Merit: 6
December 20, 2017, 08:53:33 AM
Did you all see this info?

https://canaan.io/821annoucement/

Skip to content
 Canaan
MENU
Happy Holidays ,

Yesterday in  Hangzhou we announced our Avalon 821, and laid out the roadmap for the 841, 861, 921 and Avalon 10 series.

Avalon 741 is end of life: the last batch is being produced and is promised to customers/distributors who will receiving their final shipments shortly.

Avalon 761, our solution with integrated PSU  is likewise End of Life. The last batch is being built and will ship out in early Jan.

821:  The Avalon 821 will ship at 11 TH (terahash) and 1200 Watts for a power efficiency of 109Watts per TH, a great improvement over the 741 which was rated at 150 Watts/TH.

841: the Avalon 841 will ship at 13TH and 1200 Watts for a power efficiency of  92 Watts/TH. I expect this to be a Q2 Product.

It’s too early to talk about the 861 (integrated PSU), the 921 and 10 series, but 2018 promises to be a great year.

821 Prices:   We have not yet settled on price for 821, but it will be driven by market forces and the price of Bitcoin. Demand for product is more than 10X of the supply and the pricing in the spot market clearly reflects this. As well, the price of BTC has drawn in many new customers. As soon as I have pricing I will communicate it to you. Please do not ask for it, we will tell everyone at the same time.

Ship dates: After we finish the last 741 and 761,  the 821 will go into production in January. I wish I had exact dates, but as of today I only have estimates. We should be able to ship to a small number of customers in late January. We will contact the customers who have been selected for January shipment, so please be patient.

In February and March volumes will increase, but be advised that February has Chinese New Year and we will shut down between the 14th and the 23rd.

Distributors:  We are no longer accepting applications for resellers. Given the constraints in supply, we will only add a small number of new distributors. Hopefully in Q2 we will be able to open up the opportunity. If you have signed up, we will be going over our list and making our selections.

New Forecast:  When we have pricing we will be asking everyone to do a new forecast based on the pricing. A forecast is your estimate of how many machines you will order. Do not simply put down a large number to get our attention. We select customers both large and small and if you do not order what you forecast your entire order will be cancelled.

Company. Press. Twitter. Facebook. Github.
Copyright © 2016 Canaan Creative CO., LTD
All Rights Reserved. Legal.
For Support
Register & Login.
SEARCH
Search for:
Search …

Activity: 41
December 20, 2017, 08:51:02 AM
The russian distributor seems to have it up for sale cash on delivery? strange

http://market.newmining.ru/

Is it official distributor?

I will need the asian distributor.  Do distributors get it later or same time as main guy?
We cannot buy 1 or a few pieces direct, right

Did i see right? 210,000 rouble. Thats 3,500 usd for that distributor?
Is that in roubles? I am nt familliar with russian currency.
Do distributors mark up alot or is it around same price.

He needs to pay shipping and customs also

U mean distributor pays value added tax and when they ship to u, u pay value added tax again?? Is that right?

Canaan will not sell 1-2 pieces direct?

No Canaan will not sell small amounts of units directly to consumers.
In fact they aren't even taking on any more distributors right now.
Apparently there is 10 times more demand than there is supply for the initial run.

If I can get 2 - 4 units from a distributor by the end of January I will consider myself very lucky.

Crossing my fingers and keeping my eyes peeled.
Activity: 462
Merit: 118
December 20, 2017, 08:11:03 AM

I will need the asian distributor.  Do distributors get it later or same time as main guy?

U mean distributor pays value added tax and when they ship to u, u pay value added tax again?? Is that right?

I don't think they ship outside russia anyway, but Canaans just made the announcment today without giving a price but they have the price.

I see. This way no double tax. But i guess those distributors that are in the same country as canaan can ship interationally too...no double tax after all.
Activity: 14
December 20, 2017, 08:08:05 AM

I don't think they ship outside russia anyway, but Canaans just made the announcment today without giving a price but they have the price.
December 20, 2017, 08:06:11 AM

Activity: 62
December 20, 2017, 08:02:25 AM

December 20, 2017, 08:01:36 AM

December 20, 2017, 07:57:04 AM

They are listed as official. Got the link from canaan's distributor page.
Activity: 266
Merit: 109
Ultra Mega Giga Super Cool Flying Oposum!
December 20, 2017, 07:54:13 AM
That looks like its around 3800$ is that possible? Or that is just distributors price...its seems like its high...
December 20, 2017, 07:53:22 AM

December 20, 2017, 07:43:29 AM

December 20, 2017, 07:21:17 AM
I'll buy one.

Are we actually able to buy one direct from avalon? Or do we need to go through their distributors?
I wanna try one, and diversify my miners...but yeah, depends on price.
Pages:
Jump to: