Pages:
Author

Topic: Avalon 8 official specs released - page 16. (Read 30297 times)

Activity: 61
Merit: 23
December 28, 2017, 03:59:49 AM
If you are using ATX power supplies you are so doing it wrong. People should know better by now.

We have over 120 EVGA 1600 Titaniums in our farm. They run our S7's, S9s, and Avalon 741's. They run our big GPU rigs. We can run our gear at 120v, 208v, 220v, or 240v. We push them pretty hard. They have a 10 year warranty, though we have never had a unit fail. We have units that have been in operation 24/7/365 for over 3 years without a lick of problems. We have run multiple generations of gear on them. If the next gen gear have different power requirements, we should be able to resell them used for close to or even what we paid for them, so they act as a store of value vs. a real operational expense. Granted our farm is very small, but I always thought standardizing our power gear with high end ATX PSU's as an investment and it has worked out very well so far. We can use any PSU in our farm to run any gear, and they do it well. Easy. And they are rock solid. We tried a batch of Bitmain's APW3 a few months ago, 12 units, and 2 were DOA right out of the box. I thought they were junk. I don't know, take all this with a grain, your mileage may vary, but I feel really good with those ATX's powering our gear. It's been worry free so far.
legendary
Activity: 1498
Merit: 1030
December 28, 2017, 02:37:41 AM
Any idea if they'll use the same PSUs as the 741s? More specifically the EVGA Supernova 1300/1600 G2? I notice it's 8X6pin versus the 6X6pin the 741s used. Im assuming it can because the S9 can use the EVGAs with 9X6 pins.

If you are using ATX power supplies you are so doing it wrong. People should know better by now.

Not automatically true - some like the ATX power supplies because they intend to use them for other stuff once the ASIC miner dies - or in my case I would use my EXISTING G2-1300 or X-1250 supplies because I have a couple floating around not currently being USED for anything.

8 PCI-E connectors on 1200 watts works out to 150 watts per connector - the EVGA "dual" cables should be ok as they apparently use 16AWG wiring to the first connector, then feed the second one with 18AWG, on the power and ground leads.
 There IS a 20 AWG wire in there, but that's a sense wire that doesn't carry significant power.

So basically only buy ATX power supplies if you are planning on eventually using them with something OTHER than another ASIC afterwards?

For economic sense, yes.
 There actually is one other possible reason - most Server-type power supplies don't provide as much power capacity on 117VAC as on 234 VAC - if you don't have 234VAC available and can't have your placed modded to do so, the ATX option (especially on 2 smaller PS) gets a LOT closer on cost since you would then likely be competing 2 small ATX vs 2 small server supplies.

Activity: 4
Merit: 0
December 27, 2017, 10:02:41 PM
im interested with these new avalon miner but I have a question
does the 7 (i guess the 8 will have the same logic) push or pull the air from the fan

I use currently duct shroud for my s7 and would like to keep using this for my next avalon miner

thanks
Activity: 60
December 27, 2017, 08:35:35 PM
aren't these two companies making money hand over fist already?  They've already "tested" the miners for 6-9 months, and now their new test batch has arrived and they shipped out the 741s.

I don't see how either company can lose in a market like this.  It's just who's going to have a bigger win.  Remember price elasticity in economics?

Activity: 41
December 27, 2017, 07:15:28 PM
I was just thinking of another option which would be a dirty move.
If Bitmain really wanted to mess with Canaan they could under cut them and instead of releasing 1000-2000 units as a batch they could drip feed releases of around 100 S9 daily while they wait for more chips and then repeat the process over and over again so everyone is constantly waiting and trying to score a cheap s9's instead of 821's. ha ha

Activity: 41
December 27, 2017, 07:10:17 PM
I have got different question. Lets say Canaan is selling a preorder batches to the distributors at 2600$ each 821 miner. Miners will be delivered in January. When January comes distributors receive miners. Bitmain decides to fcuk Canaan or simply profit from mining decrease. Bitmain decides to sell their S9 priced 1600$ each. Distributors will get stuck until Bitmain is sold out?

Yeah I was thinking exactly the same. Bitmain has the financial power, if they choose to use it, to really make life miserable for their competitors pricing wise. We have seen this in many industries since trading has been invented. They most likely can put weaker companies out of business if they like.

Interesting thought.
I guess it depends on whether Bitmain would prefer to maximise profits by pricing just under or around Canaan's price or whether they want to make life miserable for Canaan and way under cut them when they release the 821.

With the shortage of supply of chips/miner's vs consumer demand my guess is that Bitmain will remain priced just under Canaan to realise the most profit.
I think this because if they under cut Canaan at $1600 or something like that they will sell out in a day and leave Canaan as the only option available anyway.
IE Bitmain would sacrifice much profit for a temporary f**k you to Canaan.

I think the low price would only work if Bitmain could keep up with consumer demand for a prolonged period of time.

Just my opinion of course. Smiley
Activity: 35
December 27, 2017, 06:54:01 PM
I have got different question. Lets say Canaan is selling a preorder batches to the distributors at 2600$ each 821 miner. Miners will be delivered in January. When January comes distributors receive miners. Bitmain decides to fcuk Canaan or simply profit from mining decrease. Bitmain decides to sell their S9 priced 1600$ each. Distributors will get stuck until Bitmain is sold out?

Yeah I was thinking exactly the same. Bitmain has the financial power, if they choose to use it, to really make life miserable for their competitors pricing wise. We have seen this in many industries since trading has been invented. They most likely can put weaker companies out of business if they like.
Activity: 158
Merit: 103
December 27, 2017, 06:39:27 PM
Activity: 34
December 27, 2017, 05:34:19 PM
Any idea if they'll use the same PSUs as the 741s? More specifically the EVGA Supernova 1300/1600 G2? I notice it's 8X6pin versus the 6X6pin the 741s used. Im assuming it can because the S9 can use the EVGAs with 9X6 pins.

Not automatically true - some like the ATX power supplies because they intend to use them for other stuff once the ASIC miner dies - or in my case I would use my EXISTING G2-1300 or X-1250 supplies because I have a couple floating around not currently being USED for anything.

8 PCI-E connectors on 1200 watts works out to 150 watts per connector - the EVGA "dual" cables should be ok as they apparently use 16AWG wiring to the first connector, then feed the second one with 18AWG, on the power and ground leads.
 There IS a 20 AWG wire in there, but that's a sense wire that doesn't carry significant power.

Given how many S9 units ALONE are already in use, plus the various other models from other companies AND some folks still running older units like the S7, there is no way a single Bitmain S9 batch is going to have a HUGE effect on difficulty - the last few batches have only been pushing it by around 10%, and the "20% jump" before that was partly folks bouncing around into and out of BCH not just the new S9 batch.

So basically only buy ATX power supplies if you are planning on eventually using them with something OTHER than another ASIC afterwards?
Activity: 140
Merit: 17
December 27, 2017, 05:20:49 PM
I think everybody who is buying asics at this insane prices will be crying in February.

There was really huge batch in January for S9 therefore it will increase mining difficulty dramatically. Also it may come together with Bitcoin price dip.

What the point to buy this hardware now? I believe it is better to wait February and take this hardware at 1/2 price.

Of course if you expect BTC price 100000$ in February you can go with current prices.

Hardware price isn't dropping.   Wait until the new miners come online....will be even more expensive.
Of course it will drop, as soon as profitability goes down hardware prices will go with it. Or as soon as supply of miners goes up (what will bring profits down too). One way or another people that paid $5000 for an S9 will suffer. This is all part of a cycle, nothing moves in a single direction for too long.
legendary
December 27, 2017, 05:17:32 PM

Given how many S9 units ALONE are already in use, plus the various other models from other companies AND some folks still running older units like the S7, there is no way a single Bitmain S9 batch is going to have a HUGE effect on difficulty - the last few batches have only been pushing it by around 10%, and the "20% jump" before that was partly folks bouncing around into and out of BCH not just the new S9 batch.

Activity: 658
Merit: 21
4 s9's 2 821's
December 27, 2017, 05:14:41 PM
I think everybody who is buying asics at this insane prices will be crying in February.

There was really huge batch in January for S9 therefore it will increase mining difficulty dramatically. Also it may come together with Bitcoin price dip.

What the point to buy this hardware now? I believe it is better to wait February and take this hardware at 1/2 price.

Of course if you expect BTC price 100000$ in February you can go with current prices.

Hardware price isn't dropping.   Wait until the new miners come online....will be even more expensive.
Activity: 158
Merit: 103
December 27, 2017, 03:44:50 PM

December 27, 2017, 03:41:01 PM

Why? I'm assuming you'd recommend using the Sorcerer instead?
Activity: 756
Merit: 560
December 27, 2017, 03:27:55 PM

December 27, 2017, 03:13:42 PM
legendary
Activity: 1274
Merit: 1000
December 27, 2017, 01:04:21 PM
Why still so cheap? Lets make Avalon 821 price 10000$.

Why so cheap ? why do you want it at 10 K so you can shut out everyone else ? ....Greed sigh .....
Activity: 658
Merit: 21
4 s9's 2 821's
December 27, 2017, 12:40:12 PM
Lets compare and do some analysis of where Canaan NEEDS to be for their units to make sense:

S9 at 13.5 TH/s - current price (last batch, inflated price) - $2,725 ea.
A821 at 11 TH/s - estimated price based on 60 units, bulk pack, reseller - $2,885 ea.

S9 power consumption - daily cost (at $0.10/kWh) - $3.18
A821 power consumption - daily cost (at $0.10/kWh) - $2.88

Avg. Daily Profit from S9 - $32.50
Avg. Daily Profit from A821 - $26.23

Days to recoup investment (not counting power supply, shipping, customs, etc):

S9 - ($2725/$32.50) - 84 days - then a profit of $32.50 per day
A821 - ($2885/26.23) - 109 days - then a profit of $26.23 per day

1 year ROI:

S9 one year ROI - $11,862.50
A821 one year ROI - $9,573.95

I know things change in regards to difficulty and other factors, but if Canaan doesn't lower their price it won't make sense to purchase their product compared to the S9's, even at the current insanely inflated S9 pricing.  This is really sad, since I do believe Bitmain needs some serious competition.

Hopefully Canaan can see this and will end up pricing these similarly to their retired 741's since around the $1400 range would make sense to get these units, but at $2800+ it is ridiculously overpriced for the hash power you are getting with the amount of watts they use.

Just my 2 cents...

You want them to cut the supposed price in half?  Not happening.  Welcome to the real bitcoin mining era.  Buck up little camper.
Activity: 15
December 27, 2017, 09:03:31 AM
Lets compare and do some analysis of where Canaan NEEDS to be for their units to make sense:

S9 at 13.5 TH/s - current price (last batch, inflated price) - $2,725 ea.
A821 at 11 TH/s - estimated price based on 60 units, bulk pack, reseller - $2,885 ea.

S9 power consumption - daily cost (at $0.10/kWh) - $3.18
A821 power consumption - daily cost (at $0.10/kWh) - $2.88

Avg. Daily Profit from S9 - $32.50
Avg. Daily Profit from A821 - $26.23

Days to recoup investment (not counting power supply, shipping, customs, etc):

S9 - ($2725/$32.50) - 84 days - then a profit of $32.50 per day
A821 - ($2885/26.23) - 109 days - then a profit of $26.23 per day

1 year ROI:

S9 one year ROI - $11,862.50
A821 one year ROI - $9,573.95

I know things change in regards to difficulty and other factors, but if Canaan doesn't lower their price it won't make sense to purchase their product compared to the S9's, even at the current insanely inflated S9 pricing.  This is really sad, since I do believe Bitmain needs some serious competition.

Hopefully Canaan can see this and will end up pricing these similarly to their retired 741's since around the $1400 range would make sense to get these units, but at $2800+ it is ridiculously overpriced for the hash power you are getting with the amount of watts they use.

Just my 2 cents...
legendary
December 26, 2017, 06:32:32 PM
If Bitcoin collapses under $10k very soon and STAYS there for a month or more, I'd bet against the Avalon 821 being priced under $2500 at "retail pricing" when it is released.
Given the current recovery from what appears to have been a market correction, I would bet that it is unlikely to be under $3000.

Up side - unlike the Innosilicon A4+, the distributors seem to be willing to sell singles, and NO worries about customs hassles if you're in the same country as one of them (or in the EU if there's a European distributor somewhere).

Pages:
Jump to: