Pages:
Author

Topic: Being unpredictable - page 7. (Read 5353 times)

legendary
Activity: 3234
Merit: 2112
Stand with Ukraine
May 29, 2021, 05:47:23 AM
I don't think that memorising cards is needed in poker. We won't really see the cards of our opponents, except of the table is being streamed online, that we could see other cards but this usually happens with a 5 to 30 minute delay. The only thing that we need is a poker strategy to play by, for that we will need to be able to calculate our chances of winning. This should be not so difficult if we don't multiple table many games. But since many people like to play fast online with many table at once, it makes more sense to create a chart for our hands we play with and our hands we fold. Such an strategy makes it very easy for us to decide which hands we want to focus on.
Each people will have their way to play poker so perhaps, memorizing cards will be one of many ways for them to win. Calculating the chances of winning is the other way to help us to win but not many of them can calculate with the right. We could miss the calculation if we don't have much experience playing poker card games.

Talking about Texas hold 'em, there's really nothing to memorize there. If you mean you can memorize with what cards a particular player was raising/calling in that rare case when he/she decides to show cards when finally folding or losing, those cards are most likely they want you to memorize, to mislead you about their way of playing.

~

An interesting strategy. As long as you don't go overboard, it can work.
Now you can not abuse this strategy, otherwise it can become a standard, and easily perceived by opponents.

Exactly. You can't play with the same strategy all the time. And when I'm saying this, I don't mean months or weeks. No. You can't play with the same strategy even within one 3-4 hour tournament, if you want to finish ITM.
legendary
Activity: 2506
Merit: 1113
There's no need to be upset
May 28, 2021, 12:04:28 PM
When I play poker, I imagine to myself, I just ate a very sour lemon.  

My opponents are trying to guess what I am thinking, but they are confused by my twisted face.  

They think I have bad cards in my hands.  However, it is not!  I have winning combinations of cards and my expression is just a bluff!  This trick was taught to me by my personal acting teacher.  

At the same time, when I have bad cards in my hands, then I act differently.  I imagine myself eating a meringue cake.  I have a blissful and slightly silly expression on my face.  

My opponents think that I have great cards and lose.

Now you can not abuse this strategy, otherwise it can become a standard, and easily perceived by opponents.
Yeah, Using the same expression on the same card situation could make you even more predictable but putting different reactions or random reactions to a card could somehow make you more unpredictable.

There are people who are very good at reading their opponent's body language, They are very good at noticing some unconscious habits so, if I got opponents like this I am trying my best to have a poker face look or try to show random habits that I am not really doing.

yes, like that story where the young guy always lays the village yelling that wolfs were coming, and it was always a lie.
then when it finally happened nobody believed him.

Bob Marley used to say:
You can fool some people, some times, but you can't fool all the people all the time.

bringing some randomness to your bluffs will help you on the game, for sure.
Activity: 1736
Merit: 116
May 28, 2021, 11:28:12 AM
But if that strategy really works for him, he can still try to use that strategy, but I remind him always to use different strategies to confuse his opponent with your expression.

In addition, we must not forget that the other players also have cards in hand, and they can really have a good game. That's why poker is so unpredictable.

Interestingly, poker is always unpredictable gambling game, there are many possibilities that can happen in the game of poker. Depending on
the cards in each player's have in their hand that ultimately determines the result, therefore a strategy is needed that makes the opponent
confused and ultimately influenced to make mistakes. One strategy that can be done is how to make our expression difficult to read against
the opponent. And it takes practice to adjust our expressions, so that we can really make us unpredictable by the opponent.
legendary
Activity: 1638
Merit: 4508
**In BTC since 2013**
May 28, 2021, 11:07:23 AM
But if that strategy really works for him, he can still try to use that strategy, but I remind him always to use different strategies to confuse his opponent with your expression.

In addition, we must not forget that the other players also have cards in hand, and they can really have a good game. That's why poker is so unpredictable.
Activity: 2870
Merit: 556
May 28, 2021, 09:37:20 AM

My opponents are trying to guess what I am thinking, but they are confused by my twisted face.  

They think I have bad cards in my hands.  However, it is not!  I have winning combinations of cards and my expression is just a bluff!  This trick was taught to me by my personal acting teacher.  

At the same time, when I have bad cards in my hands, then I act differently.  I imagine myself eating a meringue cake.  I have a blissful and slightly silly expression on my face.  

Still, his imagination can not always work many times, especially if he meets a pro poker player because the pro poker player will know if someone is trying to bluff him or have a good card. It is hard to play with our expressions because we can forget that we are bluffing them, especially if we are really sure with our cards.

Activity: 1498
Merit: 146
May 28, 2021, 01:45:06 AM
In the big tournaments, everything you do while playing poker will be noticed and the players have the deep analysis about your character and behaving on table so yes it is very important to be unpredictable and never show any kind of emotions when you get good combination of cards or the worst one then only you can bluff with the bet amount.

So you are being predictable, right? This strategy will work few times but once the players get used to your condition then they can find out which combination of card with your bluffing strategy itself that is why showing no emotions whether you have good cards or bad cards is the best ever strategy at the competitive level of poker.
legendary
Activity: 2464
Merit: 1145
FOCUS
May 27, 2021, 09:34:56 AM

Yeah, Using the same expression on the same card situation could make you even more predictable but putting different reactions or random reactions to a card could somehow make you more unpredictable.

There are people who are very good at reading their opponent's body language, They are very good at noticing some unconscious habits so, if I got opponents like this I am trying my best to have a poker face look or try to show random habits that I am not really doing.
legendary
Activity: 2702
Merit: 1465
May 27, 2021, 09:29:42 AM

A really fun way.  Your acting teacher is great and he is absolutely right.  Hiding under such masks, you can certainly fool the enemy several times, but then it will no longer work.  They will figure you out.  True, if it is already possible to disrupt the winnings on this scheme, then it is good, but you must have time to leave. 
I think that this method does not work among professional players, they know the language of facial expressions very well and how less experienced players use it.  So this advice is good for playing poker with your family or close friends.  You can definitely win against them.
legendary
May 27, 2021, 07:06:43 AM

really cool indeed!
but there's that, sometimes its hard to emulate chaotic behavior in a controlled way, so we can become predictable again even by trying to be unpredictable.

another exercise that helps me is imagining I'm out of my body, like a camera, looking at the situation, and how I'm behaving there.
legendary
Activity: 1638
Merit: 4508
**In BTC since 2013**
May 27, 2021, 06:37:27 AM

legendary
Activity: 2982
Merit: 1028
May 27, 2021, 06:26:41 AM
In the big tournaments, everything you do while playing poker will be noticed and the players have the deep analysis about your character and behaving on table so yes it is very important to be unpredictable and never show any kind of emotions when you get good combination of cards or the worst one then only you can bluff with the bet amount.

Most of those gamblers around you are just simply trying to read you out.

Some might try to give you the win that you wanted as they are trying to assess your strategy, it's best to have a plain expressions and keep it that way, experienced gamblers most of the time take a little longer assessing you.
Winning with this people is like palying against yourself, as in any moment you'll be catch offguard and snatch the win from your hands.
legendary
Activity: 2282
Merit: 1696
May 27, 2021, 04:48:23 AM

Activity: 1498
Merit: 146
May 27, 2021, 12:22:22 AM
May 26, 2021, 11:27:25 PM
I don't think that memorising cards is needed in poker. We won't really see the cards of our opponents, except of the table is being streamed online, that we could see other cards but this usually happens with a 5 to 30 minute delay. The only thing that we need is a poker strategy to play by, for that we will need to be able to calculate our chances of winning. This should be not so difficult if we don't multiple table many games. But since many people like to play fast online with many table at once, it makes more sense to create a chart for our hands we play with and our hands we fold. Such an strategy makes it very easy for us to decide which hands we want to focus on.
Each people will have their way to play poker so perhaps, memorizing cards will be one of many ways for them to win. Calculating the chances of winning is the other way to help us to win but not many of them can calculate with the right. We could miss the calculation if we don't have much experience playing poker card games.

It isn't easy but if you put your mind into something, there is a high chance that you can do it. Bluffing is an easy skill to learn but the problem is how can you make yourself look convincing, you have to look like you don't know a thing about bluffing and at the same time know about bluffing without the opponent knowing the latter.
Perhaps, I can try it someday, but I hope that will works for me since I don't much about poker cards. But I think I can bluff someone and make myself look convincing in front of them because I can do that in the other things Grin

Pretend to be a newbie can the other way for us to trick another player, so they don't expect that we have skills to win the game. I think that can work for people who want to hide their skills in poker.
legendary
May 26, 2021, 12:23:25 PM

Now online poker is more difficult and easier at the same time. On the one hand, it is more difficult to understand the strategy that opponents use, and to discover patterns. On the other hand, it is played with amateurs that is easier to win.

If you mean bluffing, then real poker player will not fall very often on that trick as long as there is strong base on the card statistics which they are analysing and practicing many times. I don't know what kind of strategy you are pertaining but being good on probability and statistics is the only strategy needed to win on poker. Bluffing is just an add-ons and will not gonna work against professional player.

I disagree. If it were so, poker bots would be winning all the time, because surely they "know" those things, probability and statistics, better than any human poker player.

The more I play poker, the more I realize that there's something else, maybe something that may look a bit irrational even, that is very important to win in poker. I said "may look' because in fact it's not irrational. Your actions may look irrational to your opponents, while you do it to be unpredictable, that's all.

totally agree with @Betwrong here
somehow I wouldn't even classify poker as gambling, it's way closer to a skill game damn to betting, as an example
a lot more in play than just luck
Activity: 1274
Merit: 293
May 26, 2021, 09:52:43 AM
~snip
Memorizing the cards will not easy to do, especially if a person that can not memorize them. Not many people can learn about poker, but they can learn more details about the game. They can also learn about how to bluff the opponent to have a chance to win. But that will be difficult if their opponent will have more skills than them because their chance to win will not be bigger. But I think if they can often to playing poker game, sooner or later, they can try to bluff and memorize the card of the opponent
It isn't easy but if you put your mind into something, there is a high chance that you can do it. Bluffing is an easy skill to learn but the problem is how can you make yourself look convincing, you have to look like you don't know a thing about bluffing and at the same time know about bluffing without the opponent knowing the latter.
Activity: 1694
Merit: 516
May 26, 2021, 09:04:28 AM
This. Statistics and probability? Yep, they're most likely needed, though it's more of actually memorizing the cards that are possible for you to lose against while pairing up with the cards the dealer has already placed. That's just determining your odds though, and it's not like you can always fold when your cards are bad, or heck even at the middle range good cards. Bluffing is needed to guarantee a win in those cases, since it adds what @betwrong said, unpredictability.
Statistics and probability aren't on the realm of what the player can control so I don't think that it isn't really needed, you are right about memorizing the cards since a process of elimination is going to help you deduce the possibility but you are only limited to your cards and the cards shown by the dealer. Bluffing is good but you don't have to look like a try hard doing it because they pros will see through you when you are bluffing way too hard.
Memorizing the cards will not easy to do, especially if a person that can not memorize them. Not many people can learn about poker, but they can learn more details about the game. They can also learn about how to bluff the opponent to have a chance to win. But that will be difficult if their opponent will have more skills than them because their chance to win will not be bigger. But I think if they can often to playing poker game, sooner or later, they can try to bluff and memorize the card of the opponent

legendary
Activity: 2982
Merit: 1028
May 26, 2021, 08:50:19 AM
~

Poker face and make it looks natural, that's truly hard to predict what encircling inside your minds.

Lots of gamblers practice this and make it realistic, they use this skills to take advantage with those gamblers who played against them,

if you able to practice this and managed to make it more realistic from time to time, you really got the opportunities to collect winning stats each time you made a call.
Besides the traditional poker face, aspiring pro poker players, mind games can be a good way to make things much more complicated for your opponents because they will be second guessing everytime since you employ two ways to confuse your opponent.

Strategy that's being created from experienced that they've already got while playing this game.

Just like what you have said, mind games gives hardship with your opponents. Not giving them any idea what inside you and with the
help of your emotion control, it will give you some good edge not being predictable. If you combine things out it will give you the outcome that you are aiming.
May 26, 2021, 08:10:42 AM
This. Statistics and probability? Yep, they're most likely needed, though it's more of actually memorizing the cards that are possible for you to lose against while pairing up with the cards the dealer has already placed. That's just determining your odds though, and it's not like you can always fold when your cards are bad, or heck even at the middle range good cards. Bluffing is needed to guarantee a win in those cases, since it adds what @betwrong said, unpredictability.
Statistics and probability aren't on the realm of what the player can control so I don't think that it isn't really needed, you are right about memorizing the cards since a process of elimination is going to help you deduce the possibility but you are only limited to your cards and the cards shown by the dealer. Bluffing is good but you don't have to look like a try hard doing it because they pros will see through you when you are bluffing way too hard.
Activity: 1274
Merit: 293
May 26, 2021, 07:20:21 AM
Pages:
Jump to: