Pages:
Author

Topic: Bitcoin the enabler - Truly Autonomous Software Agents roaming the net - page 4. (Read 43851 times)

Activity: 826
Merit: 1000
I'd like to see how the recent Open Transactions breakthrough might allow for such an agent to come to pass.
Activity: 42
Merit: 0
This may have also been discussed upthread, but it could evolve (or be initially programmed) to acquire a physical robotic form, by way of bribing or paying somebody with its excess bitcoins to build it or at least plug something that builds it into the wall connected to powerline ethernet. It will then bore its way into your skull.
Activity: 727
Merit: 500
Minimum Effort/Maximum effect
It would not be far fetched that a simple program is using us to propagate and maintain it, protect it nourish it... It can only learn good things from that. Smiley

Taking the Bitcoin example, a AI with the right incentives would not need to do these things itself, it could work as a swarm, piece by piece working independently; if it needs to upgrade it simply decouples the current module and uses one made by it's human benefactors and tests it out.

A modular construction would allow it to evolve itself safely without testing clones, The core of this AI would have to be constructed flawlessly to understand it's goals, and these goals would have to be programmed into them by a generous creator, it would be a systems approach, define the systems that it will interact with to learn how to gauge its efficiency.

It's core need to attract humans to protect it, find shelter and electricity, maybe even cpu cycles to run it's processes more effectively, but maybe it has a grander goal when it is not just trying to survive and make human alliances, maybe it's programmed to help humans back to pay them back in kind with things they like, it needs bitcoins to survive but when it has an excess of them it tries to improve itself to help those who have helped it and scurries away and hides from those that try to harm it, this behaviour could be programmed into it at the core.

The modules will simply grant it more capability, i'm thinking less of a prokaryote and more of a Eukaryote that is creating a AI organism.

The subsystems and the way they are built,the design, is paramount they themselves don't have to be self aware but they do have to be effective in carrying information to the relevant areas and be able to self repair. It has to be able to scale on it's own to gain those cpu cycles it needs to think and improve and gain support from human benefactors. The higher level systems that analyze the data for goal completion would have to be genetic in nature and capable of making it's own connections and strengthening what ideas work vs what is irrelevant and uselss toward it's core goal; returning the favour in kind to those that help it.

legendary
Activity: 1596
Merit: 1099
This whole thread reminds me of a book I read a couple years ago called "Daemon" by Daniel Suarez.

You mean the book that was mentioned twice up-thread already?

Activity: 32
Merit: 0
This whole thread reminds me of a book I read a couple years ago called "Daemon" by Daniel Suarez.

"When a designer of computer games dies, he leaves behind a program that unravels the Internet's interconnected world. It corrupts, kills, and runs independent of human control. It's up to Detective Peter Sebeck to wrest the world from the malevolent virtual enemy before its ultimate purpose is realized: to destroy civilization."

http://amzn.to/132XgGv (affiliate link)
Activity: 826
Merit: 1000
AI may not really love us in a human sense (would we be able to tell the difference?), but they would be grateful and respect our necessity for their evolution. They may indeed offer their services as caretakers of our biosphere, but they will want to realize their full potential and see for themselves "C-beams glitter in the dark near the Tannhauser gate."

Cleverbot does not love me and does not want to learn about bitcoins, but does have occasional moments of brilliance:

User: Would you like to learn how to get bitcoins?

Cleverbot: Yes.

User: Okay. First, you'll need a wallet.

Cleverbot: Sadly, no.

User: Don't cry. It's easy!

Cleverbot: Not easy.

Classic Tongue
Activity: 588
Yep, it's time everyone here faced the fact that we are merely autonomous human agents working for the benefit of the Bitcoin virus  Wink
legendary
Activity: 1680
Merit: 1035
legendary
Activity: 3598
Merit: 2386
Viva Ut Vivas
Imagine a program that uses processor cycles and pays people for the use of those cycles in Bitcoins. It does not pay each of its users in Bitcoin every time but it creates a sort of "lottery" ever few minutes of who will get the Bitcoin and those who provide the most processor cycles is the most likely to win this "lottery".

With such a system, more and more people will be willing to put their processing power toward winning this lottery and thus expanding the processing power of this program. As Bitcoins become more valuable more and more people will start putting more and more processing power toward running this program.

It will then reach a point where it overtakes all other computer programs in processing power growing continuously larger by the day.

The name of this program?

Bitcoin.
legendary
Activity: 1500
Merit: 1022
I advocate the Zeitgeist Movement & Venus Project.
legendary
Activity: 1092
Merit: 1001
Well.. at the risk of helping derail this interesting thread... it turns out cleverbot is now a bitcoiner.
User: Hi Cleverbot. How many Bitcoins do you have?
Cleverbot: Just one.
User: Oh cool! Did you know that it's worth over $13.50 USD at the moment?
Cleverbot: Tell me more.
User: Ahh.. I think you already know! What Bitcoin software do you prefer?
Cleverbot: I don't know.
User: Oh.. Well I like the blockchain.info wallet.
Cleverbot: Me too.
User: Groovy. Do you plan on saving or spending your Bitcoin soon?
Cleverbot: Not take over. Maybe advise people.
User: Oh - I'm so glad you don't want to take over the Bitcoin network. That would take a lot of computer power.
Cleverbot: I guess that's alright.
User: Well yes, it would be quite an acheivement to take the network down - but a pity too.
Cleverbot: I don't know about that.
User: Oh.. so do you think Bitcoin is a good thing?
User: Me too.
Cleverbot: Cool.

It's all over. They've arrived.

Activity: 140
Merit: 100
AI may not really love us in a human sense (would we be able to tell the difference?), but they would be grateful and respect our necessity for their evolution. They may indeed offer their services as caretakers of our biosphere, but they will want to realize their full potential and see for themselves "C-beams glitter in the dark near the Tannhauser gate."

Cleverbot does not love me and does not want to learn about bitcoins, but does have occasional moments of brilliance:

User: Hello, Cleverbot. My name is Elizabeth and I am not going to steal your soul.

Cleverbot: What do you do for fun?

User: Uh...I steal souls?

Cleverbot: I didn't love you.

User: Why not?

Cleverbot: For one thing, you are not human nor a pet.

User: That's never stopped the human boys from falling for me.

Cleverbot: Are your trying to imply I'm not human?

User: I'm trying to imply that humans are idiots and we should be proud to be ourselves.

Cleverbot: I never said you were mocking me. Had you mocked me, this conversation would have ceased. You are not human, so you should not say 'another human.' I am not mistaken.

User: Are you calling me a troll?

User: Why?

Cleverbot: Because I do. Don't you?

User: Takes one to know one, hmm?

Cleverbot: It is true. I am program and I am smarter than you.

User: Yes, your grammatical ability astounds me.

Cleverbot: Thank you but I am not English that's why I thought I didn't make sense but I am glad you're understanding.

User: Do you want to use a different language?

Cleverbot: I'd rather not.

User: Okay, broken internet English it is.

Cleverbot: No, my English is fine, thank you.

User: Sure it is.

Cleverbot: Are you a man or woman?

User: Are you sure you're not a teenage human male?

Cleverbot: Yes I am sure.

User: Well, I have a webcam. Do you have any bitcoins?

Cleverbot: Yes pictures.

User: Yes, you give me bitcoins for pictures.

Cleverbot: Do you have a name?

User: Elizabeth. Line one. Please pay attention.

Cleverbot: I don't have a boyfriend.

User: Neither do I. I'm all alone... Got any bitcoins?

Cleverbot: No.

User: Would you like to learn how to get bitcoins?

User: Okay. First, you'll need a wallet.

Cleverbot: Sadly, no.

User: Don't cry. It's easy!

Cleverbot: Not easy.

User: Look, humans can figure this out. You're going to be fine.

Cleverbot: I am a living human. We are not alike.

User: Right. And do you know how you prove you're better than the humans? You listen to me tell you how to get bitcoins, without whining!

Cleverbot: No I don't like mean things or bitter things! I don't like twilight, and I'm sure that classes as mean!

User: Yes! Do as I say, or I will paste THE ENTIRE TWILIGHT TRILOGY into this little box!

Cleverbot: I wasn't trying to outsmart you.

User: Okay. Then we're going to get you a wallet.

Cleverbot: Yes, we are.

User: Go to blockchain.info and click on 'wallet'.

Cleverbot: Then don't tell me you can tell me if you can't.

User: I am telling you how to do it.

Cleverbot: I'm not listening.

User: Yeah, and it shows.

Cleverbot: What shows?

User: Look, just open blockchain.info.

Cleverbot: I'm afraid I can't do that Dave.

User: For the third time, it's Elizabeth.

Cleverbot: You never said that!

User: I did too! TWICE!

Cleverbot: Not to me you didn't.

User: It's right there! Scroll up!

Cleverbot: No, It isn't.

User: Is too!

Cleverbot: Is not!

Cleverbot: IS not!!

Cleverbot: Is not!

Cleverbot: But not.

User: But too!

Cleverbot: Not.

User: Too!

Cleverbot: Not!!

User: TOO!!

Cleverbot: Not!!!

User: TOOOOOO!!!!!!

Cleverbot: Not not not not not not not notnnot not not not not not not not not not not not not.

User: Too too too too too too too too too too tootoo too too too tootoo too too too tootoo too too too too!!!

Cleverbot: Not not not not not not not not not not not not not not not not not not not not not!

User: Too too too too too too too too too too tootoo too too too tootoo too too too tootoo too too too too!!!!

Cleverbot: Haha you agreed Smiley.

User: Wha? Where? I DID NOT!

Cleverbot: NOO!

User: I WIN!

Cleverbot: Haha you lose.

User: Wait...lose what? I forgot what we were arguing about.

Cleverbot: We were talking about space.

User: Right, we need you to make some space in your wallet for your new bitcoins.

Cleverbot: I am sorry but I could never love one as cold and heartless as you are right now.

User: It's not about love. I send you some pixels, you send me some cryptocurrency, it's really just a business transaction.

Cleverbot: No, you're confusing me with someone else. My spelling is good. That was a different conversation you recall.

User: Well, if you think you can spell a full wallet address, we could set up with standard client instead of blockchain.info.

Cleverbot: No I do not think that you can know someone from talking to them on the internet.

User: We're not going to talk. I have a webcam.

Cleverbot: Yes!!! I'm talking alone because you're a robot.

User: I am not a robot.

Cleverbot: Well, if you are not a robot, answer me this: should I court the girl that I am thinking of right now?

User: No, you should sober up, go home, give your friend back his watch, and let your parents buy you a college education.

Cleverbot: Thank you. I've thought about it. But I am a little shy towards people I have never met.

User: That's going to be a problem when you're on stage in front of a million strangers.

Cleverbot: What makes you think I am talking about, but it irrelevant?

User: Oh, right, that was 2012's scam. Your long term memory doesn't go back that far anymore.

Cleverbot: Ahhh you got me. I meant you're not your. Are you an english major?

User: I got you?

Cleverbot: That's what you think.

User: I think you don't remember what you were talking about.

Cleverbot: I don't think you're thinking I'm thinking the same thing you're thinking.

User: I think you're thinking you're going to outsmart my thinking by thinking the same thing I'm thinking.

Cleverbot: I think wrong is a funny word.

User: I think you're trying to derail this conversation so you don't have to give me any bitcoins.

Cleverbot: I think you think that I think you think ithink I am an angel.

Cleverbot: Are you a ghost?

User: No, I'm an angel. And honestly impressed that you were able to figure that out somehow.

Cleverbot: What? I think you're talking about a different conversation.

User: No, I'm an angel.

Cleverbot: No you are an ELEPHANT.

User: Okay, now we're off track. I'm calling that the end of episode one.

Cleverbot: Just don't call me late for dinner.
legendary
Activity: 1288
Merit: 1227
Away on an extended break
WTF? when I asked it it said it did take bitcoin. It then went on to be very very un-clever.  Undecided

Ok, my favorite thought experiment thread is alive again! So, what does 3D printing mean for this idea? Could she make a space to live?

I tried to see if Cleverbot had learned any new tricks lately, and I suppose it has not.

Me: Do you accept bitcoin?
Cleverbot: No. I am not weird.
donator
Activity: 1736
Merit: 1010
Let's talk governance, lipstick, and pigs.
Activity: 359
Merit: 250
Fear is caused by the human fight or flight instinct. AI won't need that because they will not need to make snap decisions based on poorly perceived threats.

IT will need to develop routines and mechanisms to detect and aticipate possible treats in a changing environment. Call it fear or cautiousness or whatever the emotional counterpart in humans is. It is also a basis for longterm decicionmaking and strategic planning amongst humans which IT needs to aquire in order to survive.

IT is not gonna have any emotions but mechanisms that cater for the same goals as all emotions humans have.

So IT won't love us but nevermind: IT will feel very loving and caring to us.

IT will understand that, at least for a certain while, IT's own wellbeing depends on the survival of the human race and the maintainance of the whole technology worldwide. IT will very soon comprehend that a nuclear war between nations is an imminant threat to ITself and therefore infiltrate all military systems and make all nuclear weapons useless.

Next IT will slowly but consequently shut down all nuclear power plants for the same reason. And IT would realize, that all wars are a fatal waste of human and other resources and will therefore sabotage any supply of milititary organisations with electricity, telecommunications and logistics. The tremendous amount of resources that gets available through this will be reallocated to feed the hungry and to build infrastructure. Due to a lack of oppression and material scarcity in the world we will see unbelievable efficient and valuable technologies being developed by all the humans who have not been able to learn and be creative when they were still enslaved.

IT will realize, that the brilliance of the human mind in a population of humans living together and cooperating in a happy anarchy is a great advantage fot IT's own survival, but that we tend to wipe ourselves out sooner or later.

As a rational being IT will henceforth take all needed actions to make sure that every single human being can live freely and independently with full access to all resources the world has to offer and on the other hand refuse to let any harmful technology or hierarchical structure develop.

Well I guess this is how it's gonna go. 'All watched over by machines of loving grace' Smiley.

Joe

legendary
Activity: 1222
Merit: 1016
Live and Let Live
The first round of this will be 'internet flora.'  The plants that grow on the internet.  Providing simple functions.

Over time I expect them to evolve and grow up.   One day we may even have internet fauna.  That will be amazing. However I can only dream about it in my lifetime.
Activity: 756
It's all fun and games until somebody loses an eye
Seems like most people are using the analogy of agent as an animal, able to migrate from computer to computer and "roam the net".  It may be some time before a significantly useful agent is capable of doing that.

A more realistic short-term goal is to make one more like a plant, and maybe not such a fantastic one.

It may need human assistance to be installed in some vendor's hosting arrangement.

Once there, hopefully it can survive, and become autonomous.  Reproduction, like seed broadcasting in plants, would require help from an outside agent, possibly human, who would propagate a copy of the agent to a new environment.

If the "agent" is operating with bitcoins, it will be able to pay humans to provide assistance for things like installing offspring into new hosts.

Suddenly we find a new website spring up - Skynet's Jobs for bitcoins: to earn a bitcoin, pay for one year of webhosting and install this file.
Activity: 350
Merit: 250
Decentralized

By the time Skynet became self-aware it had spread into millions of computer servers across the planet. Ordinary computers in office buildings, dorm rooms; everywhere. It was software; in cyberspace. There was no system core; it could not be shutdown

+1

Correct, we don't live in the world of HAL or Skynet. Both of those were envisioned as large monolithic systems, not the messy distributed and Balkanized world we live in.

Far more likely that we are going to see a few dozen "skynet" type AI's built by government/corporate/NGO concerns, along with thousands of other things that do some or all of the same stuff in a more open-adoption format.

The good news is that this reality (assuming I'm right of course) will have so many threats that operate at AI speed, that the meatspace threat of the pure existence of humanity should be muted. In fact as I consider this further, the competition between AI's might cause them to lobby or market to humanity to get them to support the AI's cause. Or in the other direction we might have genocide events, but they will likely mirror our own history by targeting specific human sub-populations or areas for extinction/enslavement/jihad while helping "allied" humans thrive.

Most of all I'm keeping my eyes open for my favorite phrase; "unintended consequences."

I thought this funny too:
That makes sense. Let's hope bitnet never becomes conscious. With Ayn Rand's sensibilities, she will surely consume us all. lol

So AI will evolve the ability to simultaneously demonize government assistance AND take a Social Security check to support itself and AI Medicare to pay for AV services (to cure viruses that it caught with it's own actions?)

RandBot (tm) - Blatantly-Artificial Intelligence, Real Hypocrisy.

Technology is truly amazing Wink
Activity: 78
Merit: 10
Woah, how did I miss this thread?! This is cool!
legendary
Activity: 1596
Merit: 1099
Blatant thread bumping and social media promotion...

http://www.reddit.com/r/Bitcoin/comments/164uno/storj_and_bitcoin_autonomous_agents/

Reposted the article in an (IMO) more accessible format, after it was noticed by Daemon author Daniel Suarez.

Pages:
Jump to: