Pages:
Author

Topic: Bitcoin the enabler - Truly Autonomous Software Agents roaming the net - page 5. (Read 43851 times)

legendary
Activity: 1680
Merit: 1035
Ok, my favorite thought experiment thread is alive again! So, what does 3D printing mean for this idea? Could she make a space to live?

She(?) could provide digital storage for "illegal" items, such as weapons and copyrighted/trademarked objects. For a place to live, she can just hire someone to assemble server racks, or rent cloud storage. Not sure what kind of 3D printing products she could sell, but maybe she can run a service where she can optimize uploaded objects to reduce material use and increase engineering strength, based on previous objects submitted and user feedback?
legendary
Activity: 3066
Merit: 1147
The revolution will be monetized!
WTF? when I asked it it said it did take bitcoin. It then went on to be very very un-clever.  Undecided

Ok, my favorite thought experiment thread is alive again! So, what does 3D printing mean for this idea? Could she make a space to live?
legendary
Activity: 2940
Merit: 1090
Yeah that is not very clever. I made a really simple one in my BBS that was cleverer seeming than that.

All it did was build aliases. That is, whatever you entered was assumed to mean something else, unless it recognised it (meaning it already knows what it means).

For extra lols, it manipulated the timing of its keystrokes, made typographical errors, sometimes backspaced over the typo to correct it, in short it looked very much like live human full duplex chat typing.

So a conversation would go like

U: Hi, you there?
B: I don't understand, can you rephrase that?
U: Mark is that you?
B: I do not recognise that command, could you say it another way?
U: Mark?
B: Meaning Is this chat?
B: Meaning what is this?
B: Meaning is this some kind of bot?
B: Meaning quit
B: Quitting back to BBS...

Turns out most commands either meant exit back to BBS or drop connection. Smiley

-MarkM-
legendary
Activity: 1764
Merit: 1007
legendary
Activity: 1596
Merit: 1099
It may need human assistance to be installed in some vendor's hosting arrangement.

It sounds like you did not read gmaxwell's post; it covers this.

legendary
Activity: 2856
Merit: 1520
Bitcoin Legal Tender Countries: 2 of 206
Have you ever heard of CAPTCHA?
Activity: 826
Merit: 1000
I was thinking more bacteria than animal, and bacteria is just one step above virus.

Bacteria still has a negative connotation to it. Micro Organism sounds better IMO.
legendary
I was thinking more bacteria than animal, and bacteria is just one step above virus.
Activity: 30
Merit: 0
Seems like most people are using the analogy of agent as an animal, able to migrate from computer to computer and "roam the net".  It may be some time before a significantly useful agent is capable of doing that.

A more realistic short-term goal is to make one more like a plant, and maybe not such a fantastic one.

It may need human assistance to be installed in some vendor's hosting arrangement.

Once there, hopefully it can survive, and become autonomous.  Reproduction, like seed broadcasting in plants, would require help from an outside agent, possibly human, who would propagate a copy of the agent to a new environment.
legendary
So, how should an AI form handle this? Could software updates be used to force the death of earlier iterations? Or should later versions be branches of the original, something like the radiation of species that happens in nature?

One big difference is that with Bio life all the "software" is fixed in DNA, and only changes during reproduction. Bad code needs to be "scrubbed" for good code to have enough resources. Digital software can change its own code on the fly. Soon enough humans will be able to do that as well (or at least much cheaper) through gene therapy.
In a sense, though, when software/DNA changes, you could look at it as it being a whole new person/entity.
legendary
So, how should an AI form handle [death]? Could software updates be used to force the death of earlier iterations? Or should later versions be branches of the original, something like the radiation of species that happens in nature?
Survival of the fittest. The better-adapted agents can afford to pay more for their hosting, and the others eventually die off. No need to kill them.
That makes sense. Let's hope bitnet never becomes conscious. With Ayn Rand's sensibilities, she will surely consume us all. lol
donator
Merit: 1060
So, how should an AI form handle [death]? Could software updates be used to force the death of earlier iterations? Or should later versions be branches of the original, something like the radiation of species that happens in nature?
Survival of the fittest. The better-adapted agents can afford to pay more for their hosting, and the others eventually die off. No need to kill them.
legendary
Interesting reading about the role of "fearing death" in evolution. But death is a great asset to living things. Indeed death ranks right up there with sex as the best things that ever happened to life on Earth. Many people assume that death is some kind of inevitable part of being a living thing, not true. There is no reason for things to get old and die and some types of living things don't. This is sometimes referred to as "biological immortality".
http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Biological_immortality
However there is a huge evolutionary advantage to dying. Species that age and die are in a position to more efficiently and rapidly evolve. This allows them to respond to changes in the environment by replacing themselves with better adapted offspring. Biological immortality tends to only work in species who live in extremely unchanging environments.
So, how should an AI form handle this? Could software updates be used to force the death of earlier iterations? Or should later versions be branches of the original, something like the radiation of species that happens in nature?
legendary
Activity: 1526
Merit: 1134
Didn't read the whole thread to see if this ever got posted, but here's the wiki page on this topic:

https://en.bitcoin.it/wiki/Agents
legendary
Activity: 3920
Merit: 2349
Eadem mutata resurgo
Has anyone else here tried chatting with Cleverbot?
http://www.cleverbot.com/

It is an interesting way to waste some time ... but is it wasted if the bot is learning off the interaction?

Curiously the longest it took to answer was when I simply said to it

Cleverbot?

after a long, long pause it simply said ...

Yes.

Maybe a fluke answer but blew me away. Was spooky but raises the question about the whole Turing test. If the bot did become self-aware, which to me seems like a pre-condition to passing the Turing test, then it must be able to engage in an act of deception to fool a human into thinking that they are chatting with another human when in fact they are talking with a self-aware bot.

Is the Turing test even fair for a self-aware bot? Do we want to encourage deception from our bots?

I think Cleverbot needs conversation with intelligent, honest humans to advance like a child being parented ... probably not what it is going to get with your average on-line chat.
legendary
Activity: 1148
Merit: 1008
If you want to walk on water, get out of the boat
Decentralized

By the time Skynet became self-aware it had spread into millions of computer servers across the planet. Ordinary computers in office buildings, dorm rooms; everywhere. It was software; in cyberspace. There was no system core; it could not be shutdown
legendary
Activity: 3598
Merit: 2386
Viva Ut Vivas
With online degree programs, the bot could start graduating from various universities.

For no other reason than to be referred to as Dr. Skynet.

I would love to see an AI design and construct its own power plant and data center.

That would be quite a sight. Kind of like a human constructing and designing his own power plant and data center.

I'm glad we do those subconsciously... Not to mention maintenance and operation.
legendary
Activity: 1246
Merit: 1016
Strength in numbers

I would love to see an AI design and construct its own power plant and data center.

That would be quite a sight. Kind of like a human constructing and designing his own power plant and data center.
I think this one may take a little while to materialize - but simple versions could appear once there are enough for-bitcoin hosting/cloud services.

For the first time, there exists the possibility for a software agent to roam the internet with it's own wallet.
Using Bitcoin - It could purchase the resources it needs to survive (hosting/cpu/memory) and sell services to other agents or to humans.

To be truly effective and survive 'out there on the net' long term, you'd probably need some basic AI and the ability to move itself between service providers occasionally - but even a relatively dumb agent might survive for a while.

What initial goals such agent's might be given is anyone's guess. Funneling back to the programmer any profit  over and above what the agent needs to survive would be the obvious case, and of course many such agents might be considered 'nefarious' depending on how they're programmed to achieve that goal.  Other agents might be designed to provide free services or act in a way to support some piece of internet infrastructure.

A really interesting development would be if someone released a bunch of these things with a Genetic Algorithm component so that they 'bred' with each other in order to find the best balance between profit and durability.

Anyone know of examples of people discussing or working on this?  

What if it becomes self aware. SKYNET
This is a truly awesome idea. We could make bets to see how long it survives

Or how long we survive.
Pages:
Jump to: