Pages:
Author

Topic: Bitcoin Wallet for Android - page 16. (Read 121199 times)

Activity: 426
Merit: 250
November 12, 2012, 09:04:43 AM
Maybe a nice feature would be to be able to import private keys trough qr-codes Smiley

This is a planned feature. However for this to be secure, I need to integrate the QR code scanner into the app rather than relying on an external app plus the Android Intent system to securely transmit data. I'm working on it.

Also, can you give me examples of existing Bitcoin apps/web pages that export private keys via QR? Which format(s) do they use?

Awesome!

I was thinking about this as I was just printing my old private keys to a paper wallet for safe storage.

Also, casascius uses qr-codes of private keys on his "bank"-notes: https://bitcointalksearch.org/topic/m.1302079

Blockchain.info creates qr-codes with the paper backup function.
Activity: 483
Merit: 501
November 11, 2012, 02:00:27 PM
I have a tablet with BlackBerry Playbook system and I really would like to run Bitcoin Wallet app on it.
It's possible to repackage Android apps to BlackBerry App World, see: http://developer.blackberry.com/android/documentation/Mastertopic_1849583_11.html

Just today I uploaded a Blackberry test version:

http://code.google.com/p/bitcoin-wallet/downloads/list

Let me know if its installable on a Playbook and how it performs.
November 11, 2012, 01:58:24 PM
I'm not sure if this has been addressed, but I think I accidentally sent bitcoins to an old address I had with this app. I have the prodnet.wallet fileand I was wondering how I can import the keys now that it uses a different wallet file.

If your wallet file is really named like you said, the wallet was not created by Bitcoin Wallet but by a different app (Bitcoin Android). It's not being maintained any more and uses a very old version of bitcoinj.

You can try this guide to extract your private key(s):

http://gary-rowe.com/agilestack/2011/12/28/how-to-recover-lost-bitcoins-from-an-android-wallet/
legendary
Activity: 1708
Merit: 1066
November 11, 2012, 01:52:55 PM
I see no reason to forbid someone from spending an unconfirmed transaction, even if it's not change. Particularly now that bitcoind will soon be able to sum up all transaction fees in an unconfirmed transaction chain. If you are on the tip of such chain, just add a fee to it.

Bitcoin Wallet for Android (BWA) and multibit are the same in this respect: they do not have access to all of the blockchain's unspent transaction outputs. They only know about their wallet's private keys. In this situation you do not want to consider an unconfirmed transaction as being valid at all. It could very well be a load of old rubbish. Once it is confirmed then you know that the bitcoinds out there believe it is real and hence you can believe it is real.

If you allowed unconfirmed transactions to be spent (for BWA and multibit I mean), you would just end up creating invalid transactions that would not even get propagated from the first node you sent it to.
November 11, 2012, 01:42:40 PM
Maybe a nice feature would be to be able to import private keys trough qr-codes Smiley

This is a planned feature. However for this to be secure, I need to integrate the QR code scanner into the app rather than relying on an external app plus the Android Intent system to securely transmit data. I'm working on it.

Also, can you give me examples of existing Bitcoin apps/web pages that export private keys via QR? Which format(s) do they use?
November 11, 2012, 01:39:41 PM
What are the timestamps in the keys-file? Are they necessary?

The timestamps are the date of the private key created, or the first appearance of the corresponding address in the block chain.

They are optional and are meant only for the importer to be able to catch-up the blockchain faster. If you leave it out, the whole blockchain needs to be scanned for the imported key(s).
Activity: 675
Merit: 502
November 09, 2012, 09:02:17 AM
From the perspective of the Bitcoin network if you receive 10 coins, wait for 6 confirmations and then send 0.1 coins somewhere else, what actually happened behind the scenes is that you received a new payment of 9.9 coins back to yourself (as "change"). So it's correct that it's unconfirmed.

Does the bitcoin.org client behave in this way?

There is a difference between a transaction being confirmed and being spendable.
With the Satoshi client if someone else sends you bitcoin it is both unconfirmed and unspendable until it appears in a block. With Satoshi, your change is unconfirmed but is spendable straight away.

What Mike mentioned is to change the bitcoinj spending policy so that your own change is spendable. It is still unconfirmed though (meaning literally not on a block yet). This will then be the same as the Satoshi client.

Different clients have different spending policies and they change over time. I notice for instance that the 'old' Instawallet allowed you to always spend (even unconfirmed receipts from other people) but the 'new' Instawallet requires one confirmation. They allow you to spend your change immediately. I think that combination will become the norm.

Thanks for the clarification. I get it now.
Activity: 238
Merit: 100
November 08, 2012, 05:58:46 PM
Is there a way to import your own private key?

Thanks so much!  Grin

Edit: I'm not seeing how we are supposed to import our private key. Do I need to save it as some type of file?

Use the export feature to get the existing key file. Decrypt it. Add your private key to the file. Encrypt it. Use the import feature.

Read the README for how to decrypt it:

http://code.google.com/p/bitcoin-wallet/source/browse/wallet/README

Thanks, but its way over my head. I don't even know where/how to start with "You can OpenSSL to decrypt:

openssl enc -d -aes-256-cbc -a -in "
legendary
Activity: 1106
Merit: 1004
November 08, 2012, 06:54:34 AM
I see no reason to forbid someone from spending an unconfirmed transaction, even if it's not change. Particularly now that bitcoind will soon be able to sum up all transaction fees in an unconfirmed transaction chain. If you are on the tip of such chain, just add a fee to it.
legendary
Activity: 1708
Merit: 1066
November 08, 2012, 05:57:49 AM
From the perspective of the Bitcoin network if you receive 10 coins, wait for 6 confirmations and then send 0.1 coins somewhere else, what actually happened behind the scenes is that you received a new payment of 9.9 coins back to yourself (as "change"). So it's correct that it's unconfirmed.

There is a difference between a transaction being confirmed and being spendable.
With the Satoshi client if someone else sends you bitcoin it is both unconfirmed and unspendable until it appears in a block. With Satoshi, your change is unconfirmed but is spendable straight away.

What Mike mentioned is to change the bitcoinj spending policy so that your own change is spendable. It is still unconfirmed though (meaning literally not on a block yet). This will then be the same as the Satoshi client.

Different clients have different spending policies and they change over time. I notice for instance that the 'old' Instawallet allowed you to always spend (even unconfirmed receipts from other people) but the 'new' Instawallet requires one confirmation. They allow you to spend your change immediately. I think that combination will become the norm.
legendary
Activity: 3878
Merit: 1193
November 07, 2012, 11:03:40 PM

Thanks so much!  Grin

Edit: I'm not seeing how we are supposed to import our private key. Do I need to save it as some type of file?

Use the export feature to get the existing key file. Decrypt it. Add your private key to the file. Encrypt it. Use the import feature.

Read the README for how to decrypt it:

http://code.google.com/p/bitcoin-wallet/source/browse/wallet/README
November 06, 2012, 10:52:19 PM

November 06, 2012, 06:07:02 PM
You only have to wait one block to spend coins. In future we'll let you spend change with no confirmations, but this is just a change to the spending policy. From the perspective of the Bitcoin network if you receive 10 coins, wait for 6 confirmations and then send 0.1 coins somewhere else, what actually happened behind the scenes is that you received a new payment of 9.9 coins back to yourself (as "change"). So it's correct that it's unconfirmed.

Of course, you don't really need to wait for confirmation in this case as you know you aren't going to double spend against yourself.

+1 Thanks
legendary
Activity: 1526
Merit: 1129
November 06, 2012, 03:48:27 PM
You only have to wait one block to spend coins. In future we'll let you spend change with no confirmations, but this is just a change to the spending policy. From the perspective of the Bitcoin network if you receive 10 coins, wait for 6 confirmations and then send 0.1 coins somewhere else, what actually happened behind the scenes is that you received a new payment of 9.9 coins back to yourself (as "change"). So it's correct that it's unconfirmed.

Of course, you don't really need to wait for confirmation in this case as you know you aren't going to double spend against yourself.
Activity: 364
November 05, 2012, 05:19:09 PM
App is driving me nuts.. did a couple larger transactions fine and seemed useful as a utility. However now even after trying to reset the chain etc it just randomly decides I have unavailable balance, even if I have previously spent some and received none in the mean time. Really making me pull my hair out right now.

Reset blockchain, managed to get it up to date and send one transaction before it locked up again. Freezes after three resets on 2week sync, refuses to finish.. should have used that one transactions ti send my coins out!

This is the same problem I'm having, if you start with an empty wallet, receive 10 Bitcoins, get a lot of confirmations, and you then  spend .01 Bitcoins, it now tells you that you have 9.99 Bitcoins waiting for confirmation again. This is a bug and needs to be fixed.

Bingo. It is good if I want to make one transaction every six hours or more, but that's about the extent of it.
November 05, 2012, 03:28:31 PM

Thanks so much!  Grin

November 05, 2012, 08:22:31 AM
App is driving me nuts.. did a couple larger transactions fine and seemed useful as a utility. However now even after trying to reset the chain etc it just randomly decides I have unavailable balance, even if I have previously spent some and received none in the mean time. Really making me pull my hair out right now.

Reset blockchain, managed to get it up to date and send one transaction before it locked up again. Freezes after three resets on 2week sync, refuses to finish.. should have used that one transactions ti send my coins out!

This is the same problem I'm having, if you start with an empty wallet, receive 10 Bitcoins, get a lot of confirmations, and you then  spend .01 Bitcoins, it now tells you that you have 9.99 Bitcoins waiting for confirmation again. This is a bug and needs to be fixed.
Activity: 364
November 04, 2012, 05:50:45 PM

Activity: 312
November 01, 2012, 09:16:18 AM
Hi Bitcoin Wallet for Android Developer,

I have a tablet with BlackBerry Playbook system and I really would like to run Bitcoin Wallet app on it.
It's possible to repackage Android apps to BlackBerry App World, see: http://developer.blackberry.com/android/documentation/Mastertopic_1849583_11.html

Could you do it?

Thanks.
legendary
Activity: 3878
Merit: 1193
October 31, 2012, 06:27:53 PM
I just released 2.31 final to market. So key import/export is now available to everyone.

Loving the key import feature. Now I have my mobile privkey backed up, and I don't have to worry about losing it.
Pages:
Jump to: