Pages:
Author

Topic: Bitfury: "16nm... sales to public start shortly" - page 28. (Read 108494 times)

Activity: 462
Merit: 250

So is paying endlessly increasing (due to rate increases) electrical bills.

Where I am, my electrical coop(s) are real crooks. They managed to get into law a requirement for the owner to have a liability insurance policy. The cost of the policy exceeds even the maximum revenue stream for selling power back (+ net excess generation metering) as an IPP (Independent Power Producer 40 KW nameplate capacity or less) under the Minnesota Statute. If you exceed 40Kw nameplate capacity generation you're classified just as they are and have to negotiate a contract, typically at the "avoided cost rate". Which is the lowest priced rate class, and here, about $0.005 per Kwh (That's 1/2 cent per Kwh). They sell regular service power to the retail customer @ $0.1235. Hence my crook comment.

I decided long ago (1999) that it would be a cold day in Hell and the little devils would go skating when they got 1 miliwatt from me. F'em if they can't take a joke.

Oh, and yes, I have a sizable battery bank of U.S, Battery L16HC XC2's (20 Hour Rate: 420) and ~150 lbs each. The first batch of these wore out after 10 years of service, I abused them, else I'd a got 15 years out them. http://usbattery.com/products/6-volt-batteries/us-l16hc-xc2/ Best "bang-for-the-buck".

To avoid the insurance cost, I run a "hybrid" system. Solar charges the batteries (and a little AirX, which is really just a toy comparatively). If the solar charging system comes up short for the day, I have a Morningstar relay driver that senses battery voltage and turns on some high current (100A each) RV power converters (battery chargers http://www.amazon.com/gp/product/B00F8MC45E?psc=1&redirect=true&ref_=oh_aui_detailpage_o01_s00) feed by off peak power ($0.048 per Kwh) at night. At 8:30 AM it turns them off in preparation for another solar charging day. This is by far cheaper than running a gas/diesel fueled generator (and a hell of a lot quieter) for "make up" power/charging. The size of the bill at the end of each month is indicative of how "sun shiny" the month was. After 17 years I can pretty much predict what next months bill will be. Even with the converter and inverter losses it's still way cheap power. And I have the peace of mind that everything electrical on the property is UPS'ed.

I've rambled off topic long enough.

I can completely understand this from a be self sufficient / increasing tarrif prices / silly regulations point of view but.... Have you ever done the maths on the total outlay and running / maintenance cost compared to just buying power from the electricity company?

Rich

"... total outlay and running / maintenance cost compared to just buying power from the electricity company?"

Yes, since 1998. I re-evaluate every 6 months or so.

Initially in 1999 the power company gave me an estimate of $20,000+ to run in power to my place (I'm almost a 1/4 mile off the main road and I'm the only customer on my road, which I own). As a submariner (nuc powered) I had been investigating being self sufficient since the late 70's. So needless to say instead of giving them 20 grand I spent it on RE hardware (batteries, solar, wind, genny's, etc.). In Decmber of 2005 I "bit the bullet" and had them connect me to the grid (at a cost of ~$5,000). At the time regular service was $0.055/KWh and off peak was $0.028. I still generated most of the power and bought small amounts from them during peak demands (water heater, electric stove). Then 3 years ago got into BTC mining and became a heavy power purchaser (~$2,500/Month). Recently my power coop announced rate hikes as a result of the EPA's "carbon tax" (CPP Clean Power Plan). This initiated, and is still ongoing, a research endeavor regarding the future pricing and availability of electrical power. Basically my research and analysis to date indicates that within the next 5-10 years electricity will become a luxury item, nationwide. Priced out of the reach for low and middle income wage earners. My renewed self generation fervor revolves around "getting in front of" an impending decrease in quality of life. Survival.

A properly designed renewable generation system, OVER TIME, will always be cheaper (and OBTW better for the environment) than buying power from an external source. For one simple reason, You're buying power with today's dollars and "locking in" your cost / KWh over the life of the system (15-30 years). As such I am NOT a fan of tax incentives, rebates, or other incentives. Those can disappear and have disappeared with the stroke of a pen and public opinion. An improperly designed system will never break even/pay for it's self. It's real easy to design a system wrong and are typically the systems that fossil fuel generation company's like to broadcast about.

I'm a fan of a particular kind of nuclear power not currently operating here in the US. Thorium fuel cycle molten salt reactors. Having lived for 12 years less than 250 feet away from the core of a LWP (light water pressure) reactor (Nuclear powered submarine) my previous statement comes from experience. LWP's are a problem looking for a place/time to happen. Checkout: http://www.ted.com/talks/kirk_sorensen_thorium_an_alternative_nuclear_fuel

Activity: 152
Merit: 0
is this company just make chips 

so what we can do with this as normal  buyer do they make mining hardware
Activity: 588
Merit: 500

Where I am, my electrical coop(s) are real crooks. They managed to get into law a requirement for the owner to have a liability insurance policy. The cost of the policy exceeds even the maximum revenue stream for selling power back (+ net excess generation metering) as an IPP (Independent Power Producer 40 KW nameplate capacity or less) under the Minnesota Statute. If you exceed 40Kw nameplate capacity generation you're classified just as they are and have to negotiate a contract, typically at the "avoided cost rate". Which is the lowest priced rate class, and here, about $0.005 per Kwh (That's 1/2 cent per Kwh). They sell regular service power to the retail customer @ $0.1235. Hence my crook comment.

I decided long ago (1999) that it would be a cold day in Hell and the little devils would go skating when they got 1 miliwatt from me. F'em if they can't take a joke.

Oh, and yes, I have a sizable battery bank of U.S, Battery L16HC XC2's (20 Hour Rate: 420) and ~150 lbs each. The first batch of these wore out after 10 years of service, I abused them, else I'd a got 15 years out them. http://usbattery.com/products/6-volt-batteries/us-l16hc-xc2/ Best "bang-for-the-buck".

To avoid the insurance cost, I run a "hybrid" system. Solar charges the batteries (and a little AirX, which is really just a toy comparatively). If the solar charging system comes up short for the day, I have a Morningstar relay driver that senses battery voltage and turns on some high current (100A each) RV power converters (battery chargers http://www.amazon.com/gp/product/B00F8MC45E?psc=1&redirect=true&ref_=oh_aui_detailpage_o01_s00) feed by off peak power ($0.048 per Kwh) at night. At 8:30 AM it turns them off in preparation for another solar charging day. This is by far cheaper than running a gas/diesel fueled generator (and a hell of a lot quieter) for "make up" power/charging. The size of the bill at the end of each month is indicative of how "sun shiny" the month was. After 17 years I can pretty much predict what next months bill will be. Even with the converter and inverter losses it's still way cheap power. And I have the peace of mind that everything electrical on the property is UPS'ed.

I can completely understand this from a be self sufficient / increasing tarrif prices / silly regulations point of view but.... Have you ever done the maths on the total outlay and running / maintenance cost compared to just buying power from the electricity company?

Rich
This just in, Bitfury has tied the release date and sales of their 16nm miners to when Valve releases Half-Life 3, we should see them "any day now"!

Roll Eyes

As to the solar discussion, when I move here shortly I am going to look into a solar setup, but what it will not be is grid-tied.  I don't like the power company telling me what I can and can't do and I'm not going to help their cause by selling them my power that I generated.  I'm going to use it all, it's mine mine mine!

I could not agree more.

Without a grid-tie, you need a huge batterybank.
Or are you only going to mine during sun hours? Or are you going to manually connect the miners to the grid when the sun goes down? Tongue
Batteries are expensive!

Activity: 324
This just in, Bitfury has tied the release date and sales of their 16nm miners to when Valve releases Half-Life 3, we should see them "any day now"!

Roll Eyes

As to the solar discussion, when I move here shortly I am going to look into a solar setup, but what it will not be is grid-tied.  I don't like the power company telling me what I can and can't do and I'm not going to help their cause by selling them my power that I generated.  I'm going to use it all, it's mine mine mine!

I could not agree more.

Without a grid-tie, you need a huge batterybank.
Or are you only going to mine during sun hours? Or are you going to manually connect the miners to the grid when the sun goes down? Tongue
Batteries are expensive!

Activity: 79
Merit: 10

Roll Eyes

I could not agree more.
legendary
Activity: 1904
Merit: 1007
So they have to release a miner sometime in the next 3 weeks? Since they took that 1 BTC bet with Kilo ?

1 BTC is nothing compared to their sales so even if they lose the bet it was damn worth it.
legendary
Activity: 1274
Merit: 1000
Shortly means less than a month boys Tongue.

Stop being like Blizzard lol!

actually blizzard releases are pretty much when they say they will  :_) legion is due out in Sep this year. jk but it is. but i do renumber those missed wow expac releases,or leaks that never happen, as for there other games, can't say don't play them.
legendary
Activity: 1722
Shortly means less than a month boys Tongue.

Stop being like Blizzard lol!
Activity: 742
shortly might mean in 2017 or 2018 Roll Eyes Smiley))
legendary
Activity: 980
Merit: 1001
aka "whocares"
So they have to release a miner sometime in the next 3 weeks? Since they took that 1 BTC bet with Kilo ?

I know for sure that one of the big manufacturers that was shooting for the end of March has pushed back to the middle of April.  I cannot speak for all of them but that info came to me directly from the owner of the facility. 

So far it is looking good for the 1 BTC (if he pays Grin)
Activity: 588

S7 is 3 strings per board, with a varying number of chips per string depending on the batch.

I think it is better to think of it a 1 string per board with 3 chips per node. Then as you say, dependant on Batch, there are then either 18 or 15 nodes, each with 3 chips.

Rich
legendary
Activity: 3808
Merit: 1723
Up to 300% + 200 FS deposit bonuses
legendary
Activity: 1498
Merit: 1030
I assumed he meant that many chips wide, where the current does multiply. The wider a string, the more stable it's going to be as any changes in current demand (which then affect voltage) in one chip will be buffered out by the remaining chips in the node, so you really don't want to run a single-wide string if you don't have to.

If it's "wide" it's not a string, it's a parallel setup.

It's a String with width, like the S7, 45 Chips per board arranged in a 15 Node string, 3 chips to a node, or Avalon6, 40 Chips per Board, 20 Nodes, 2 chips to a node.

Rich

S7 is 3 strings per board, with a varying number of chips per string depending on the batch.

I'm not a hexa yet - give me a few (too BLOODY few) more years - I AM an Eisenhower baby though. 9-)
After I got out the Navy (Sub sailor) spent many a year in Dover DE. Am familiar with the trickery in government in that region.

Here we don't have a choice for power suppliers. It's a coop run by corrupt administrators. We're currently paying $0.13/KWh. Who signed a 38 year (terminating in 2045) sole source purchase agreement with a company that only has coal fired generation. Whether one agrees with it or not, coal is doomed. The EPA just won a case in the supreme court over the CPP (Clean Power Plan) which is the beginning of a carbon tax. When that is implemented (again whether or not one supports such a concept) it will drive coal fired electrical costs through the roof. While no one can precisely predict future pricing 5, 10, or 20 years out, my estimates indicate that within the next 10 years it will double or triple. This will put electrical consumption into the luxury item category.

I too am disabled and, personally, live on a fixed income (like other seniors). Fortunately I had the foresight and wherewithal to own my home (i.e. no mortgage). Many, if not all of my peers don't. Many of those that are surviving exclusively on SSA are currently making choices between food and drugs. If their electrical costs doubled or tripled I fear we will be finding them frozen in the dark, literally. All due to a handful of the greedy few.

I have tried to work within the system to reform it to no avail. The only option left is for me is to attempt to insulate myself from the pending doom and if able assist the few I can.

From a personal electrical consumption basis, I'm well on my way to being electrically independent. Have a plan in place where by the time the "snow flies" this year I will attain that goal. BTC has played an important role. And while I'm in the giving credit where credit is due mode sidehack and novak have been instrumental in many respects.

Somewhere near the end of this month I'm going to "trip the mains" on the domicile isolating me from the grid. At the same time I'll shut off all the .8 and .5 W/GH/s miners in anticipation of sidehack's BF replacement boards.As I have a BUTTLOAD of S1/S3/C1/S5's looking for an up grade's I'll never shut off the compac's and the U2's as they are just too cute  Grin

The previous rant was WAY off topic, so I'll refrain going forward.
legendary
Activity: 1274

Roll Eyes

As to the solar discussion, when I move here shortly I am going to look into a solar setup, but what it will not be is grid-tied.  I don't like the power company telling me what I can and can't do and I'm not going to help their cause by selling them my power that I generated.  I'm going to use it all, it's mine mine mine!

lol to bad i don't play those type games I  play stuff like wow Swtor mmo's  more . really the power company has more control, sigh .  i may have to keep it for my self to, any way waiting for a installer to come and give me price and explain it, i have few questions, we can get it were i live but not on the roof, i like that idea better . no messing up our new roof .

I pay $0.58 - $0.68 per watt for the panels. UL listed. 60 cell 250W
Last 2.25 KW was @ $0.74 per watt
Where I live, northern MN, panels on the roof is suicide.
Mine are on racks on the ground. Can't fall off the ground.

Check your states net metering laws regarding the price (rate) they buy back, usually it's one sided.
And the increase in your home owners policy.

Net - net it may not be worth it or a potential loss.
I've been doing wind and solar for 10+ years, learned alot along the way.
Am willing to share.

Am finishing up a report/analysis on the state of our electrical system here in the US.
The future does not bode well.

[email protected]

SO my insurance might go up ?

I did read about the buy back rates a few month ago when I looked into solar or started learning about it .

Thanks for the tips !! i do know if i rent/lease them I don't get anything from the Feds but i also don't pay taxes right now being retried with a disability , if i could i would go back to work  in a heart beat but my DR won't let me and i did try to about a year ago, it really suxes not working, I'm no slacker when it comes to work Smiley . use to work 24/7 because i could,  I took a better look at bitcoins and i started to late in game, i knew when it all started etc Ive said this before i was a fool then by thinking it was BS and Polly would have a few bucks in the bank if i  had jumped on it then ,  if side can get us nice gear, I'm in business, I will report it, tax wise etc, I'll have to but I've said this all  before .

it was some like your rates after all is said and done like 6 to 7 cents per KWh and believe or not rates in my state have dropped down closer to 7 cents per KWH with some suppliers , i pay now 8.55 cent, when i went with this supplier a year ago till DEC 2016 then it was the best rate with no fees on cancel  you could get, till about a month ago. but what kills the whole thing is what the power company is able to screw us out of and now they want  us to pay for there short siting in higher fees. and they are trying to sue Baltimore over a fee increase to them for under ground cont. use and agreement they had with our last GOV because the officials won't let them charge the customer, they still get charged the lowest fees then any power company in the US . want to add 15 bucks more a month to every ones bill in the state of Maryland were they have service, it's joke don't get me going on Smart meters and all the money the feds and state gave them for that, they want more , they want us to pay for everything etc.and the yearly hearings just started for yearly increases, which i stay a way from I might get locked up for talking out wrong , i hope this time they get put in there place, they are starting to piss off a lot of the wrong people in Maryland , our last GOV gave them to much power, the one we have now is great he has lowered a lot of state fees and plans to lower them more and actually is fixing things,  but has cancer sadly that came up last year but is under control they say or in remission.

sorry to much info IL shut up now .

Roll Eyes

As to the solar discussion, when I move here shortly I am going to look into a solar setup, but what it will not be is grid-tied.  I don't like the power company telling me what I can and can't do and I'm not going to help their cause by selling them my power that I generated.  I'm going to use it all, it's mine mine mine!

lol to bad i don't play those type games I  play stuff like wow Swtor mmo's  more . really the power company has more control, sigh .  i may have to keep it for my self to, any way waiting for a installer to come and give me price and explain it, i have few questions, we can get it were i live but not on the roof, i like that idea better . no messing up our new roof .

I pay $0.58 - $0.68 per watt for the panels. UL listed. 60 cell 250W
Last 2.25 KW was @ $0.74 per watt
Where I live, northern MN, panels on the roof is suicide.
Mine are on racks on the ground. Can't fall off the ground.

Check your states net metering laws regarding the price (rate) they buy back, usually it's one sided.
And the increase in your home owners policy.

Net - net it may not be worth it or a potential loss.
I've been doing wind and solar for 10+ years, learned alot along the way.
Am willing to share.

Am finishing up a report/analysis on the state of our electrical system here in the US.
The future does not bode well.

[email protected]

legendary
Activity: 3752
Merit: 2667
Evil beware: We have waffles!
"Shortly"- To occur in many many months.....maybe  Cheesy

2 weeks!

LMAO,I forgot about that BFL reference  Roll Eyes  Cheesy
Rather surprised AMT/Bitmine.ch are not always included in that. eg AMT/s ad in Oct. 2013 for the A1 520GHs miner http://web.archive.org/web/20131003021440/http://advancedminers.com/bitcoin-mining-hardware/520-ghs-bitcoin-miner

Love the "Order placed in September ship in November". No hint of any pre-order unlike the 1.2TH rigs so I ordered the 520 late Feb. 2014.  We all know how their A1 debacle/scams went... Angry
At least BFL actually produced Monarchs. Problem was getting them to let go of them and placing them in customers hands...

That said, I and a very few other folks actually did get something from AMT. In my case what appears to be a very well made LKtek 1.2THs rig along with a PSU for it. Many of the few shipped were sans PSU...

Almost 8mo late but better than most folks that got zilch from AMT along with those that Bitmine.ch shafted as well with the Coincraft A1. No  doubt Josh arranged those during his stay in Shenzhen trying to scare up someone to make working A1 miners for him.

And yes the miner still is perfectly running in our break room 24x7x365 for heading on 2 years now.
legendary
Activity: 1624
Merit: 1130
Bitcoin FTW!
As a CSGO semi pro (used to) and addict, I rofl'd for 3 minutes straight on that post. which is why I have a late response, lel. HL3 def coming out in the next year ( or 4), and the same goes for bitfury. We'll keep having stuff like the winter arg in steam and crap, but bitfury just keeps us hanging with nothing. it's quite sad.
legendary
Activity: 2212
Merit: 1001
"Shortly"- To occur in many many months.....maybe  Cheesy

2 weeks!

LMAO,I forgot about that BFL reference  Roll Eyes  Cheesy
Pages:
Jump to: