Pages:
Author

Topic: Bitfury: "16nm... sales to public start shortly" - page 44. (Read 108494 times)

Activity: 572
Merit: 506
So are you telling me that all this hashrate is mainly from the chinese manufacturers? I find it REALLY HARD TO BELIEVE IT considering that the S7 is on the market for over 5 months now and the exchange rate is bigger than 250$ for over 3 months now. Why would anyone buy miners who were present on the market for such a long time now instead of 3 months ago? The network has added 200PH/s in just one month. You would have to be ultra retard to invest such a big amount of money for an old generation of miners when your chips were knocking on the door. You and 21Inc are the only ones that are capable of deploying such massive farms. I simply don't buy what you said, but it's understandable from your position Wink

Why does someone have to buy rigs from Bitmain and/or Avalon to increase the network hash rate?  Can Bitmain and/or Avalon not add this hash rate themselves without selling to someone else?  Can Bitmain and/or Avalon not make one last push before the block halving?  Hell, those of us who bought their rigs paid 3, 4 or maybe 5 times as much as their cost to make them.  Which means they could make 3 for themselves [at a minimum] for every one (1) they sell to us.  They could set up their own "Unknown" pool to mine solo from without adding it to their "public" pool.

42.000 antminer S7 in a month? i sounds a lot of miners...
legendary
Activity: 1302
Merit: 1318
Technical Analyst/Trader
So are you telling me that all this hashrate is mainly from the chinese manufacturers? I find it REALLY HARD TO BELIEVE IT considering that the S7 is on the market for over 5 months now and the exchange rate is bigger than 250$ for over 3 months now. Why would anyone buy miners who were present on the market for such a long time now instead of 3 months ago? The network has added 200PH/s in just one month. You would have to be ultra retard to invest such a big amount of money for an old generation of miners when your chips were knocking on the door. You and 21Inc are the only ones that are capable of deploying such massive farms. I simply don't buy what you said, but it's understandable from your position Wink

Why does someone have to buy rigs from Bitmain and/or Avalon to increase the network hash rate?  Can Bitmain and/or Avalon not add this hash rate themselves without selling to someone else?  Can Bitmain and/or Avalon not make one last push before the block halving?  Hell, those of us who bought their rigs paid 3, 4 or maybe 5 times as much as their cost to make them.  Which means they could make 3 for themselves [at a minimum] for every one (1) they sell to us.  They could set up their own "Unknown" pool to mine solo from without adding it to their "public" pool.
legendary
Activity: 1904
Merit: 1007
It's not our stuff. As jstefanop said, our wafers are still in production. You can easily see Bitfury hashrate from https://www.blocktrail.com/BTC

Activity: 98
Merit: 10
I mean all these big projects sound cool... but for the home miner who doesn't want to put up 10-15k for even a small project to recover the heat, it just isn't worth it. I'll be honest I'm not sure what the original comment was referring to: a big operation or a home miner, but either way unless you have a lot of money investing even more in a plan to recover the wasted heat will make ROI even more difficult.

But if I did have $100k to spend I would probably try to definitely reuse the heat.
Use the heat to warm water that moves a turbin to make electricity

Or use this: http://gizmodo.com/5972587/thermoelectric-pipes-can-generate-electricity-from-hot-water  Grin

All low temp heat recovery systems provide such pitiful efficiencies that its just pointless. If they weren't, they'd be strapped to every server in the world.

I do not know anything in the world using more "servers psu" than bitcoin uses  Wink

They (bitfury or others) can spend some money to make i+d  Grin
legendary
Activity: 1666
Merit: 1185
dogiecoin.com

Or use this: http://gizmodo.com/5972587/thermoelectric-pipes-can-generate-electricity-from-hot-water  Grin

All low temp heat recovery systems provide such pitiful efficiencies that its just pointless. If they weren't, they'd be strapped to every server in the world.

No quite ... there a companies making a living out of it: https://www.cloudandheat.com/en/index.html

Building a settlement around something like an incinerator with heat recycling is a great way to help the environment, but its not something you can just decide to do. Its also entirely different from That's different from low temp heat -> electricity, they're just doing heat -> heat.
Activity: 516
Merit: 500

Or use this: http://gizmodo.com/5972587/thermoelectric-pipes-can-generate-electricity-from-hot-water  Grin

No quite ... there a companies making a living out of it: https://www.cloudandheat.com/en/index.html
legendary
Activity: 1666
Merit: 1185
dogiecoin.com

donator
Activity: 1057
Merit: 1021
PlanetCrypto in Minnesota apparently was piping his waste heat to a school and couple factories, in addition to keeping his own shop warm. Novak and I have talked about how great it'd be to run a greenhouse directly heated by hosting exhaust, and if I ever get up to building my own shop that's probably what I'll do. Wouldn't be so great in the summertime but six months of the year that could come in handy. Or heat a big ol' pool, that is also a good idea. Or both?

I just pump all my heat onto the grass next to my warehouse.  All winter the grass is so green and the rest of the grass is brown.  It looks like a lavish jungle with 270KW of heat constantly washing over the grass.
legendary
Activity: 3346
Merit: 1858
Curmudgeonly hardware guy
PlanetCrypto in Minnesota apparently was piping his waste heat to a school and couple factories, in addition to keeping his own shop warm. Novak and I have talked about how great it'd be to run a greenhouse directly heated by hosting exhaust, and if I ever get up to building my own shop that's probably what I'll do. Wouldn't be so great in the summertime but six months of the year that could come in handy. Or heat a big ol' pool, that is also a good idea. Or both?
legendary
Activity: 3752
Merit: 2667
Evil beware: We have waffles!
Right, but if that heat could be used by something (like piping to neighbors in wintertime, or running greenhouses or something) you could increase the overall profitability of an operation.

Of course. I'm just saying it isn't that easy. I do use the miners I keep at home for heat during the winter, I haven't used my actual heater once this winter. I think that is the most common use of miner heat. But I agree, when possible the heat should be used, I just can't think of that many ways to use it, especially in places where the ambient temperature is already relatively high.
Well, here's an idea I've mentioned before: Use water cooling for the miners with the heat going into large spa pools...
Right, but if that heat could be used by something (like piping to neighbors in wintertime, or running greenhouses or something) you could increase the overall profitability of an operation.

Of course. I'm just saying it isn't that easy. I do use the miners I keep at home for heat during the winter, I haven't used my actual heater once this winter. I think that is the most common use of miner heat. But I agree, when possible the heat should be used, I just can't think of that many ways to use it, especially in places where the ambient temperature is already relatively high.
legendary
Activity: 3346
Merit: 1858
Curmudgeonly hardware guy
People only think about roi!

Heat should not be wasted!

Mining should be combined with other activities that need the heating!

From the smallest to the biggest farms, mining should be combined with the need of heat in the houses or at commercial & economic level!

Heat is the problem though. Most of the time people are trying to find ways to get rid of the heat because it is not needed. I know I don't need the heat here, its already reaching the lower 80s. Soon it will be 100+ everyday.
Activity: 742
Merit: 500
People only think about roi!

Heat should not be wasted!

Mining should be combined with other activities that need the heating!

From the smallest to the biggest farms, mining should be combined with the need of heat in the houses or at commercial & economic level!
legendary
Activity: 1498
Merit: 1030
it's 14/16nm for sure but the question is who.

BW.com, plus lingering S7 and Avalon 6 sales is my guess.

At recent diff increase rate, S7 and Avalon 6 might be unprofitable even with 3c/KWH VERY VERY cheap electric a little before the halfing.
legendary
Activity: 2156
Merit: 1400
2 exahash by March....this round of chips is going to be interesting to watch what it does to the Bitcoin ecosystem. Especially with the halving around the corner. All home miners are 100% out and most small to medium mines will be put out of business. If price does not keep up with this diff soon we're going to have trouble.
at this speed, avalon 6 and S7 will be old gear in less than a month.  Undecided

They will be profitable until halving  Wink
S5, Avalon 4.1 and SP20 (the most eficient "old" stuff) are not profitable now, only with very cheap electricity...
legendary
Activity: 1484
Merit: 1004
at this speed, avalon 6 and S7 will be old gear in less than a month.  Undecided
Pages:
Jump to: