Pages:
Author

Topic: Bitfury: "16nm... sales to public start shortly" - page 46. (Read 108494 times)

legendary
Activity: 1904
Merit: 1007
Given the diff jumps and the cost to make the chips/boards I don't think we will ever see these chips in the wild. Bitfury will be loosing money on selling chips at a price that people will pay soon. They came in a little late with this Gen and I think their margins after R&D and all are really small now, if not non-existent. Oh the tragedy.

They planned everything very nice. They released the chip demo videos at the same time when they were already populating their DCs with these chips in order to have the false impression that they barely got the chip. Then after they managed to get all the pre-order contracts ready they started to fire up their new chips. Well played Bitfury! I applaud you!
Activity: 338
Merit: 251
Given the diff jumps and the cost to make the chips/boards I don't think we will ever see these chips in the wild. Bitfury will be loosing money on selling chips at a price that people will pay soon. They came in a little late with this Gen and I think their margins after R&D and all are really small now, if not non-existent. Oh the tragedy.
Activity: 126
Merit: 100
and Bitfury are not Chinese advertisers , aren't they  ?

Wink
legendary
Activity: 1666
Merit: 1185
dogiecoin.com
as it performs as advertised with the typical real-world specs when sold.

Which is why I exist around here. Consumers need protection the from unscrupulousness, probably even more so now that we have a mix of hyper-corporations and OEMs.

AHAAHAHAHAHAHAHAHA You should take that act on the road.

What is your problem now, and is it Bitfury related?
Activity: 742
Merit: 500
bitfury releases 16nm miners to public = bitfury sells miners = bitfury build another huge bitcoin mine(s).

lol Grin

Wrong order = bitfury build another huge bitcoin mine(s) =  mines like crazy = maybe sells chips & miners  Roll Eyes

You think they'll sell chips & miners ASAP Huh

Think again,maybe after the halving you'll SEE a miner of theirs.

THEN many months later you can buy a used one  Tongue

+1 because this is a fight for hash rate!

After halving everybody will be relax, but now is war!
legendary
Activity: 1512
Merit: 1000

Which is why I exist around here. Consumers need protection the from unscrupulousness, probably even more so now that we have a mix of hyper-corporations and OEMs.

AHAAHAHAHAHAHAHAHA  Cheesy

You should take that act on the road.
Activity: 912
Merit: 661
Do due diligence

+ infinity :-)
legendary
Activity: 2212
Merit: 1001
bitfury releases 16nm miners to public = bitfury sells miners = bitfury build another huge bitcoin mine(s).

lol Grin

Wrong order = bitfury build another huge bitcoin mine(s) =  mines like crazy = maybe sells chips & miners  Roll Eyes

You think they'll sell chips & miners ASAP Huh

Think again,maybe after the halving you'll SEE a miner of theirs.

THEN many months later you can buy a used one  Tongue
Activity: 253
Merit: 100

lol Grin
legendary
Activity: 1666
Merit: 1185
dogiecoin.com

legendary
Activity: 3752
Merit: 2667
Evil beware: We have waffles!
At least I eventually got a rig from AMT even if >4months late and by then nearly obsolete tech Wink Most folks didn't or got them without PSU's.

You are right in that as final users of the chips we could/should care less what the physical chip does vs what design simulations (and any pre-order hype) said as long as it performs as advertised with the typical real-world specs when sold.

Just saying that once a chip is on silicon and in production it can then benchmarked to see what the real world performance is. At that  point any difference between initial expectations and physical product is between the chip OEM and foundry to work out. However once engineering samples are released and folks develop reference designs/actual complete miners based on those proven nominal performance specs it is expected that each chip used does all it is supposed to.

Deviation outside of nominal = either the chip vendors having to under-spec the chip to cover slow ones and use more ASIC's in their mining rigs to assure rig performance  (but in turn make for possible OC'ing) or if production tolerances or tweaked performance expectations per-batch get out of hand then just sell the chips like Bitmain did - different miner batch #'s with different advertised performance. btw: Bitmain has/is compensated its customers for the lower than expected performance batch. I still from time to time get a 0.01btc input to my wallet from them over it.
legendary
Activity: 2128
Merit: 1073
Um, tell that to the customers screwed by AMT/Bitmine.ch over the A1 kerfuffle when it was introduced. Inno's A1 failing to meet design specs cost us final customers 100's of k$ in total or more. For most folks it looks like their money is never to be seen again as the lawsuits are in limbo. And ja Bitmine.ch's horrible board design was the icing on the crap cake.

BirFury, Bitmain, et al care very much about spec as that is what they base their miner designs on, eg how many chips in it running what speed will give us advertised throughput/power usage.

Sure miner chips are vastly simpler than the various processors used in mobile devices. Just simple I/O, bit of memory, coms and the SHA256 cores vs hundreds of I/O and scads of different core components including critical L1/2/3 cache memory. That simplicity should in turn give more good chips vs yield from making mobile processors and their ilk.
You are just projecting your misfortune. I'll repeat specifications are worth nothing without the appropriate contract enforcement mechanisms, either legal like https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Letter_of_credit or extralegal like .

Both Bitfury and Spondoolies have history of not meeting the predicted specifications. But for them and their customers things worked out because they had the right mixture of business and technical skills. I already wrote about Bitfury, so I'm just going to mention that Spondoolies did things like refunds for underperformance and advised customers to use hair dryers to warm up miners that wouldn't start in the cold climates.
Activity: 92
Merit: 10
I'll probably have to wait for the store to open up, like all the other broke dudes. Sorry, no venture capital here. Dangit Bitfury, stop teasing us with really good stuff!

http://bitfury.com/products#application-form

Apply with them maybe they will send you some chips to test.
Activity: 99
Does any one know what testing tool software are Bitfury guys are using in their 16nm ASIC demo vidoe's?
legendary
The 40% yield refers to number of good chips per wafer - not cores per chip. As to what is a good chip, it one that meets spec. Preferably with 100% cores active @ stated speed. From there they will start stepping down the grade hopefully mainly by speed capability instead of by dead cores.
You start sounding weird... Not enough caffeine this morning? Or too much?

The whole point of mining ASIC is that there's no "spec". It is 100% self-love. All they have to do is twiddle their own little thumbs really fast and gaze at it's own navel. The theoretically most demanding application for them would be if they are daisy chained and have to talk to their brothers from the same wafer or same batch that is sitting few centimeters away on the same board. No need to interface e.g. a DRAM chip or obey some IEEE standard.

The only 3 things that miners care are:

1) Ghash per sec/W
2) Ghash per sec/$
3) delivery time

There's no "stated speed" or "100% cores". Everything else can be and will be worked around at the board layout and software driver level.
Um, tell that to the customers screwed by AMT/Bitmine.ch over the A1 kerfuffle when it was introduced. Inno's A1 failing to meet design specs cost us final customers 100's of k$ in total or more. For most folks it looks like their money is never to be seen again as the lawsuits are in limbo. And ja Bitmine.ch's horrible board design was the icing on the crap cake.

BirFury, Bitmain, et al care very much about spec as that is what they base their miner designs on, eg how many chips in it running what speed will give us advertised throughput/power usage.

Sure miner chips are vastly simpler than the various processors used in mobile devices. Just simple I/O, bit of memory, coms and the SHA256 cores vs hundreds of I/O and scads of different core components including critical L1/2/3 cache memory. That simplicity should in turn give more good chips vs yield from making mobile processors and their ilk.
legendary
Activity: 2156
Merit: 1400

As for Apple accepting 40% yield per wafer, for initial runs - yes. That is between them and the foundries. I guarantee that with their clout they are only paying for the good chips and forcing the foundries to eat the scrap.Their only compensation is that Apple and other customers know that initial pricing will be very high to finance the R&D needed and capital equipment costs. Worse for the foundries is pricing is based on a mandatory rapidly downward sliding price per-chip giving foundries great incentive to get better.

Exactly...Apple has pretty much financed probably a huge chunk of R&D costs for the last few die shrinks. Their deal probably works something along the lines of "here are billions of dollars, buy the equipment and create the process for x node, and gives us 10 million chips by this date....we don't care what your yield is."

Of course this is a win win for both parties...apple gets its new energy efficient Ax chips first, and the foundries develop a working process for that node and make their profits from the customers of the likes of Nvidia and bitfury Wink
legendary
Activity: 2464
Merit: 1710
Electrical engineer. Mining since 2014.

See this comment from this thread: https://bitcointalk.org/index.php?topic=1344103.20

Allied Control is not "other people". Bitfury acquired Allied Control some time ago.

Activity: 99
legendary
Activity: 2128
Merit: 1073
The 40% yield refers to number of good chips per wafer - not cores per chip. As to what is a good chip, it one that meets spec. Preferably with 100% cores active @ stated speed. From there they will start stepping down the grade hopefully mainly by speed capability instead of by dead cores.
You start sounding weird... Not enough caffeine this morning? Or too much?

The whole point of mining ASIC is that there's no "spec". It is 100% self-love. All they have to do is twiddle their own little thumbs really fast and gaze at it's own navel. The theoretically most demanding application for them would be if they are daisy chained and have to talk to their brothers from the same wafer or same batch that is sitting few centimeters away on the same board. No need to interface e.g. a DRAM chip or obey some IEEE standard.

The only 3 things that miners care are:

1) Ghash per sec/W
2) Ghash per sec/$
3) delivery time

There's no "stated speed" or "100% cores". Everything else can be and will be worked around at the board layout and software driver level.
legendary
Interesting. I was told by my contacts at TSMC that some of their EUV systems from ASML are now running production and were responsible for the improved yields.

As for Apple accepting 40% yield per wafer, for initial runs - yes. That is between them and the foundries. I guarantee that with their clout they are only paying for the good chips and forcing the foundries to eat the scrap.Their only compensation is that Apple and other customers know that initial pricing will be very high to finance the R&D needed and capital equipment costs. Worse for the foundries is pricing is based on a mandatory rapidly downward sliding price per-chip giving foundries great incentive to get better.

The other little niggling bit pertains to the complexity of the chip. As you said, mobile device processors and such have very little to no built-in redundant circuitry to get around mfg defects. Couple with them being highly dependent on timing of the functions and that can explain the oft-cited in the past low yields.

re: production volumes for mining ASIC's, sure they can produce in volume if Bitfury/Bitmain et al pony up the $$. If the simpler chips make it easier to get higher yield so much the better.
Pages:
Jump to: