Pages:
Author

Topic: BITMAIN Antminer S3 support and OverClocking thread - page 14. (Read 158132 times)

Activity: 518
Merit: 500
  • The latest BITMAIN FW (25OCT2014) is self-sufficient correct? Nothing to edit?
Thats correct

• To upgrade FW must it be via SSH, or does System > Upgrade > Browse > Select downloaded FW and click "Flash image" work?
System > Upgrade > Browse > Select downloaded FW and click "Flash image"

• Finally, OC'ing is done within Miner Config tab, great! Is the present list of freq's in there comprehensive?
see https://bitcointalksearch.org/topic/m.8370071
my miner is set to :
 #option 'freq_value'    '0882'  #225M
        #option 'chip_freq'     '225'
        #option 'timeout'       '18'

option 'freq_value'    '1106'  #218.75M
        option 'chip_freq'     '218.75'
        option 'timeout'       '18'

#option 'freq_value'    '1086'  #212.5M
        #option 'chip_freq'     '212.5'
        #option 'timeout'       '18'

218.75M

and on the page it show 225
Frequency   

what the hell?
You are looking at the wrong file. Frequencies are set in the GUI and the file that holds these values is no longer the /etc/config/asic-freq file, but rather the file /usr/lib/lua/luci/model/cbi/cgminer/cgminer.lua (see this thread if you want to add to the freqs' list https://bitcointalksearch.org/topic/m.8370071)
Activity: 87
Merit: 10
my miner is set to :
 #option 'freq_value'    '0882'  #225M
        #option 'chip_freq'     '225'
        #option 'timeout'       '18'

option 'freq_value'    '1106'  #218.75M
        option 'chip_freq'     '218.75'
        option 'timeout'       '18'

#option 'freq_value'    '1086'  #212.5M
        #option 'chip_freq'     '212.5'
        #option 'timeout'       '18'

218.75M

and on the page it show 225
Frequency   

what the hell?
Activity: 322
Merit: 250
Hey Folks,

Over the past few days I have waded through the entire "BITMAIN AntMiner S3 Support Thread", the "Antminer S3 batch 6 overclocking" thread, Dogie's Somewhat Comprehensive AntMiner S3 thread, and a quite few others.

Some questions/observations:

• Some people just need to shut the hell up. I suppose that over a few weeks or months they're fine, but all at once in a week or so? Jeebus no.
  • The latest BITMAIN FW (25OCT2014) is self-sufficient correct? Nothing to edit?
  • To upgrade FW must it be via SSH, or does System > Upgrade > Browse > Select downloaded FW and click "Flash image" work?
  • Finally, OC'ing is done within Miner Config tab, great! Is the present list of freq's in there comprehensive?

Anyone have any special tips/warnings/cautions/corrections they'd like to mention?

Thanks so much, for all of your participation in these threads. While sometimes the infomation is overwhelming, it is also of great help.

Thanks again.
Activity: 33
Merit: 0
I've done exactly as the guide says, but it still says 225 as Frequency in the minerstatus... What can be wrong? The file is saved.
Check the Miner Configuration tab and if you have an Advanced Settings tab there, then you need to OC via that tab (by selecting the desired frequency) then clicking on the Save and Apply button (bottom right hand corner)

Thank you! They are performing really well!
I've done exactly as the guide says, but it still says 225 as Frequency in the minerstatus... What can be wrong? The file is saved.
Check the Miner Configuration tab and if you have an Advanced Settings tab there, then you need to OC via that tab (by selecting the desired frequency) then clicking on the Save and Apply button (bottom right hand corner)
Activity: 33
Activity: 276
Hi..Newbie in da house..

I do wunder about Oc alot cause in my S3 i did oc and...well nothing happend :O The Gh/s is pretty much the same.. Even when did all by as you in here has wrote about the freq and so 250 as it is at the top.. Nothing.. One S3 showing Freq of 231.25 :O BUT with no Hw error.. running (30min) Why no speeding ticket's?? Has any else see this?

Yes. It's possible to not see an improvement at higher clock speeds.  Sometimes you may even see a decline in hash rate at higher clock speeds. You should test various clock speeds to see which performs best over at least an hour period.  Once you find that sweet spot, stick with it. Ideally, you want the highest hash rate and the lowest possible clock speed with the fewest hardware errors. That will save you on electricity!
Activity: 4
Hi..Newbie in da house..

I do wunder about Oc alot cause in my S3 i did oc and...well nothing happend :O The Gh/s is pretty much the same.. Even when did all by as you in here has wrote about the freq and so 250 as it is at the top.. Nothing.. One S3 showing Freq of 231.25 :O BUT with no Hw error.. running (30min) Why no speeding ticket's?? Has any else see this?
Activity: 276
Activity: 2
Question guys.

With 218.75 and 225 its necessary to use 4 PCIE? Or with just 2 PCIE its ok?? For 218.75 im sure i can just use 2 PCIE, but for 225 frequency im not that sure.

right now i have 4 PCIE for both, 716W total

My recommendation is to use four cables for better stability.
But its not a necessity. If you are overclocking I now strongly recommend(unlike earlier) to use 4 power cables.

I wanted to use Corsair CX750M for both, but yeah i have one at 225 frequency, so thats OC and i suppose with just 2 PCIE wont work very well maybe

Hey guys, just wanted to chime in here.  I parsed through some of this thread but this thread is so big (so this may have been mentioned before - in which case I apologize)...

Anway, I have a CX750M and 2 S3+'s.  Kept tripping the breaker (turned out to not be my fault), but in the course of tracking things down, I had my two miners OC'd to 237.5.  Not a huge jump over the base 225, but its easy to forget that an overclock bumps the power usage up (quite a bit apparently).... anyway, I grabbed my ever-so-accurate kill-o-watt meter and had it display the amps/wattage usage and was floored that I was drawing over 850 watts!  I've had it set up this way for almost 2 weeks!  The fact that the power supply didn't eat itself I think is a testament to quality engineering...  suffice to say, I'd like my PS to last so I dropped them back to the stock 225 and was surprised to see the meter only drop to about 775 watts.  I'm sure there's some math in there that should leave me un-surprised, but even accounting for inaccuracy in the meter, its clearly pushing the PS to its limits.

Interestingly, (and un-surprisingly) the power cord was very warm - but the 6 pin connectors to the rails weren't.  I'm guessing this is just a quirk of the 120v ac to 12v/5v dc conversion, but I was expecting the connectors to be hot. 

ANYWAY...  CX750M - just enough for 2 stock S3+'s, but I'm a bit wary.  Unfortunately getting a bigger PS isn't going to solve the problem until the chick with the space heater under her desk decides to use a different outlet...   Roll Eyes

I'm considering getting clever about it and getting the bigger PSU and setting some sort of timer, but I'm not sure how much effort I want to put into that when I can just sneak into her cube after hours and switch the plug (a circuit tester would be handy...)

cheers!
Activity: 364
I tried this new update on a regular S3, now when I go to "miner status" it can't find the page. I rolled it back, any explanation for this? It's very strange because one of my miners worked, then the next 2 didn't. I will just leave that update alone for now.
soy
legendary
Activity: 1428
Merit: 1013
 Trying to think  Huh when I first set this one up , it didn't seem right ! in the process of debugging n chking cables one of the new cables smoked ! But then I changed hash brds , controller brd , power brd . basically everything  Huh Huh Huh Physical chking of the unit shows the new cable to xd out brd getting quit warm !???

I'd unplug the boards and measure the resistance between the +12v and GND, comparing the two hashing board results.  Then I'd look for a reason the one board had a lower figure.  Each board has two +12v test point pads so you'll take 4 measurements. 
Activity: 52
Bitmain released fixed firmware on their website (Firefox/chrome support mentioned). Should just need to flash firmware and it should work.

My fix is no longer applicable.
Activity: 966
Merit: 1000
It's Not Enough
I rebooted and no change at all.
Do I need to upgrade the firmware, or something? 

It was working fine until I updated to the last firmware  Sad
Activity: 1
anyone familiar with openwrt's implementation of opkg? apparently on the S3's "OPKG Update" isn't working.

When I run it i get the following:
Code:
root@LabS31:/# opkg update
Downloading http://downloads.openwrt.org/snapshots/trunk/ar71xx/packages/Packages.gz.
wget: server returned error: HTTP/1.1 404 Not Found
Collected errors:
 * opkg_download: Failed to download http://downloads.openwrt.org/snapshots/trunk/ar71xx/packages/Packages.gz, wget returned 1.

I checked the path at http://downloads.openwrt.org/snapshots/trunk/ar71xx/packages/ and Packages.gz does not exist.

Anyone have a clue how to resolve this?

To solve that issue click on the OPKG-Configuration tab and paste the following into the configuration field then Submit the changes:

src/gz barrier_breaker http://downloads.openwrt.org/snapshots/trunk/ar71xx/packages/packages/
dest root /
dest ram /tmp
lists_dir ext /var/opkg-lists
option overlay_root /overlay
Activity: 546
fix fixed those things. I still made sure to apply the speed settings just to make sure it was right.
Activity: 546
O.k but whatever happened I updated 2 s3's and I had no buttons in mining config and an xml code error that I couldn't get around except by using internet explorer which seemed to iqnore the xml error.

If I go tweak and it runs I kinda wonder why they didn't change it up on the page yet. at least they fixed the v4 firmware so I didn't have to go set the default speed to get my miner up after flashing.
@techman05

The main changes appear to be to status page layout and upgrade of cgminer 4.6.1.

Instructions on how to fix:

1) Download the updated firmware from: https://bitmaintech.com/support.htm?pid=007201407180243004432lBQW28O0633
2) SSH/Putty into S3
3) Paste the code in below.. Will replace Save&Apply with Save&Apply.

Code:

Code:
sed -i 's/Save\&Apply/Save\&Apply/g' /usr/lib/lua/luci/model/cbi/cgminer/cgminer.lua

4) Execute the following code
Code:

Code:
/etc/init.d/cgminer restart

Voltage setting speculation:

https://bitcointalk.org/index.php?topic=671189.7580

(Note voltage, to me, looks like it accidentally leaked over from S4 codeline.. I could be wrong though)
Pages:
Jump to: