Pages:
Author

Topic: BITMAIN Antminer S3 support and OverClocking thread - page 18. (Read 158132 times)

Activity: 556
Merit: 500
What are the file permissions? Is the date/time updated when you use !w?
Activity: 66
Merit: 10
Mining til I puke
I used the method above to overclock my S1s, but I thought you could change the freq from the advanced menu in the S3. My first S3s still in the mail. Do you still have to SSH to overclock the S3?

I would like an answer for this as well. I have used the "old" S3 SSH overclocking method to OC my new batch 8's but when I try to SSH and type "!wq" it doesn't save as it should. Another method maybe?
Try just !w and see what it says. What are the file permissions? When you !wq you don't get a chance to get any feedback if there is a problem writing to the file. Also check the time/date of the file to see if the write is actually occurring.

Nope. Didn't work
Activity: 556
Merit: 500
I used the method above to overclock my S1s, but I thought you could change the freq from the advanced menu in the S3. My first S3s still in the mail. Do you still have to SSH to overclock the S3?

I would like an answer for this as well. I have used the "old" S3 SSH overclocking method to OC my new batch 8's but when I try to SSH and type "!wq" it doesn't save as it should. Another method maybe?
Try just !w and see what it says. What are the file permissions? When you !wq you don't get a chance to get any feedback if there is a problem writing to the file. Also check the time/date of the file to see if the write is actually occurring.
Activity: 66
Mining til I puke

Activity: 339
Merit: 250
Welp
5 days in and my antminer s3+ caught fire!

This literally just happened like 5 minutes ago.
Rig went offline, went out to see what's what and try and give it a power cycle, no go.. So I swapped the psu for a brand new one and went to turn it on and was met with a huge cloud and smoke and an adrenaline rush. (all cables correct etc, I have 9 others from the same batch running on the same corsair rm1000 PSUs with uptimes of 5 days, no overclocking involved)

Does anyone have info for UK bitmain support?
Just tried calling the UK number above and its just a mailing forward address.

I already had this issue on a GPU; The SMD ceramic capacitor turns to fail in a short circuit state. If the PCB is not damaged, replacing the capacitor will fix the issue; if the PCB is damaged this is an other story...
Activity: 339
One of my S3 fails while overclocking; Indeed a chip crashed, and the overall hashrate decreases.

oooooooo oooooooo
oooooooo ooxooooo

Do you know how to find the 'x' chip? right/left board, and chip number; I have a small voltage difference between DC/DC converters, fixing this and the thermal glue may fix this issue. But how to find the right one?
Activity: 74
Bitmain S1 upgrade kits..

Well after pulling my hair out for a couple of hours it dawned on me that you need to update the firmware with the latest S3+ ver.
At stock 225 freq its running at 450 GH/s  pulling  385 watts from a very high grade server power supply.
Want to let it run for a while before I try to ramp up the freq.
Stock form temp is 39C
will let you know how I make out with overclocking, If I get it to 500  I'll be happy.
Bob

Does your Power Supply provide all four PCIe connectors per Antminer
or just two per miner?

Just curious..

Looking forward to your update on the OC.
Activity: 317
Merit: 104
Bitmain S1 upgrade kits..

Well after pulling my hair out for a couple of hours it dawned on me that you need to update the firmware with the latest S3+ ver.
At stock 225 freq its running at 450 GH/s  pulling  385 watts from a very high grade server power supply.
Want to let it run for a while before I try to ramp up the freq.
Stock form temp is 39C
will let you know how I make out with overclocking, If I get it to 500  I'll be happy.
Bob
Activity: 927
Merit: 1000
฿itcoin ฿itcoin ฿itcoin
wow, that vreg chip had the magic smoke escape!

contact who you got it from?
Yeah no idea what happened to it, I've spoke to a guy at bitmain and organised a replacement.
Activity: 7
Merit: 0
wow, that vreg chip had the magic smoke escape!

contact who you got it from?
Activity: 927
Merit: 1000
฿itcoin ฿itcoin ฿itcoin
Welp
5 days in and my antminer s3+ caught fire!

This literally just happened like 5 minutes ago.
Rig went offline, went out to see what's what and try and give it a power cycle, no go.. So I swapped the psu for a brand new one and went to turn it on and was met with a huge cloud and smoke and an adrenaline rush. (all cables correct etc, I have 9 others from the same batch running on the same corsair rm1000 PSUs with uptimes of 5 days, no overclocking involved)

Does anyone have info for UK bitmain support?
Just tried calling the UK number above and its just a mailing forward address.
Activity: 152
Merit: 102
Reset them to factory default. To do this you will find small hole near where the lan port. Insert a needle into this while the unit is switched on. That should reset the unit. Hope this gets it back for you Smiley
Activity: 16
So I upgraded my s1's to s3's and things were going smoothly.  However the last one didnt flash and now seems to be fried.   I cant get it to connect to the network or my pc or anything.  Does anyone have some advice for this noob??  I would say I am a complete noob except I did upgrade 2 other s1's with no hitch that are working perfectly. 
not only that but I tried to add nano to th packages but it gives a error..
first it says it cant find the packages.gz, fixed that errror by adjusting the location of the update a bit.. but then it says it cant find the libncurses package, there isnt one.. so nano wont load without that package.

anyone have a idea what to do?
are they still working on firmware updates for the s3's? like feature ads.. like going and adding support for a small lcd display to display stats on? like hash rate, pool info, and so on.. theres what looks like a serial debug console port.
Activity: 276
I upgrade two S1's to S3's.  One performs great at 243.75 ~ 490 Gh/s. The other at the same clock was averaging much lower.  I backed it down to 237.5 and it hashes higher.

Expect to spend quite a bit of time upgrading the S1.  There are a ton of screws to remove, then retighten! You'll need a hex bit to remove them.
legendary
Activity: 1722
Merit: 1005
If I am hashing above 500GH/s but there is a "-" and "x" for one of my blades is this bad or should I ignore it?
Ever since switching to nicehash this has happened.

Hi.
Please, restart you power supply. If you continue with this error in any chips, you need down your OC a little more.

Regards.
Antuam.
Activity: 15
Goxed,

You got a really nice unit if it's remaining stable at 250 clock and 504GH/s, congrats!  Mine apparently are part of the batch that caused Bitmain to set the clocks back to 218.75.  I tried 225, 237.5 and 250.  I would consistently get "x" and "-" in the ASIC stats and the units never got anywhere near the 504GH/s you're showing.  I left them running like that for 7 hours while I slept last night, hoping things might get better over time.  When I woke up and checked, Ant 1 was averaging 450GH/s and Ant 2 was averaging 387.  At 250 clock.  I set them back to stock and after 13 hours I'm at 441 and 439 with 0.0002% and 0.0004% HW errors.  All ASICs are "o".  It's definitely not a power issue - I've got an EVGA 1300 G2.  I even went so far as to hook only 1 up at a time on the PSU to see if it made a difference.  All 4 PCI-e connected.

Also, that solution for the random beeping did not work for me unfortunately.  They still randomly beep at me.  It's like they're just letting me know they're still going.  If somebody does come up with a valid solution to this, I'd be very much... well, my little lady will be very much appreciative of it Wink

As for temps and fans, mine are in an ambient 22C room.  Ant 1 shows 38/39 and Ant 2 shows 39/40 on stock speeds.  Fans are 1560/1380 and 1620/1380, respectively.  With the same PSU as I have, philipma1957 reported 665W at the wall to run them both at stock.

The same as above!
Activity: 61
Is anyone willing to help me regarding the post above?
Activity: 317
Merit: 104
My S1 upgrade kits arrived, when they are together I'll post the results
Pages:
Jump to: