Pages:
Author

Topic: BITMAIN Antminer S3 support and OverClocking thread - page 37. (Read 158132 times)

legendary
Activity: 910
Merit: 1000
For a much easier time of editing for we Windows folks I suggest using WINscp. Makes editing much much easier.
legendary
Activity: 2030
Merit: 1076
BTCLife.global participant
I'm surprised these ones are being so finicky. is there a fix for these not being able to oc or is a hardware issue? i feel like I've herd some people talking about a DV - DV component.
It's something about DC-DC power module. Bitmain told about it. Some miners should be lucky to OC if this module is "fine", others should not...
Activity: 78
Merit: 10
I purchased mine through eBay and must have gotten an earlier batch.

i am trying to OC i was able to oc up to 237.5 without getting any x's but power draw from the wall doesn't go up and my hash rate goes down. when i leave at 218.5 i get 450 @350w at the wall(i use platinum rated PSUs). i can't even clock this thing at 225 without the HR going down.

Have we found a fix for this yet or is it just how its gonna be?

Additionally Ive noticed that as soon as i start overlocking my reject rate goes way up, somewhere in the neighborood of 25% HW stays very low. might this play a role in why my 5s hash is 480ish but average is closer to 400?

if your average over 24 hr hash is 400Gh after overclocking, you should use default speeds or, if that does not work either, underclock to 212.5mhz instead and get a steady 428Gh at only 320-325W. Just wait 16-24 hr to make any conclusion.

Ive gone back to default speeds and they work as expected, a solid 445. I've had such great rich with all my other ant miners I'm surprised these ones are being so finicky. is there a fix for these not being able to oc or is a hardware issue? i feel like I've herd some people talking about a DV - DV component.
legendary
Activity: 3808
Merit: 4078

i am trying to OC i was able to oc up to 237.5 without getting any x's but power draw from the wall doesn't go up and my hash rate goes down. when i leave at 218.5 i get 450 @350w at the wall(i use platinum rated PSUs). i can't even clock this thing at 225 without the HR going down.

Additionally Ive noticed that as soon as i start overlocking my reject rate goes way up, somewhere in the neighborood of 25% HW stays very low. might this play a role in why my 5s hash is 480ish but average is closer to 400?

if your average over 24 hr hash is 400Gh after overclocking, you should use default speeds or, if that does not work either, underclock to 212.5mhz instead and get a steady 428Gh at only 320-325W. Just wait 16-24 hr to make any conclusion.
legendary
Activity: 3808
Merit: 4078
Sooooo if my B1 S3 runs for an hour without getting any x's on the chip status at 250mhz

With a 502gh Poolside hashrate, drawing 425 watts at the wall from a bronze psu - did I just like hit the lottery of units or something? Or do I need to keep an eye on this thing before I declare it stable.

Also does OCing really void the warranty? does it like set a flag bit somewhere?

yes, most likely you won the lottery, but wait 24-48 hours before declaring victory.
Voiding warranty is irrelevant in >95% cases because units usually don't fail, hence who cares
yours is voided already, though, as they have a way of knowing this from the miner history.
Activity: 72
can ppl post how much more power is sucking through the wall as you overclock ?

also, if I were to underclock (resulting in lower ghs), would the power consumption go down?
Activity: 784
Merit: 504
My S3 Batch 4 fan and at 4000-5500.
All other parameters are normal.

ZiG
Activity: 406
Merit: 250
Thanks for the info ZiG. I'll open it up and get around to it eventually.

I have one batch 4 that shows fan speed of 0. Not a big deal because the fan is working. Just wondering if anyone else has that problem? The temp sensor is working. Just not fan speed on chain 2.

Seems fine so far running @ 225 too.

Probably a bad PWM sensor...or a bad wiring for it...Try to swap with the other, working fan...

ZiG

Glad to help, buddy...
Activity: 125
Merit: 100
Thanks for the info ZiG. I'll open it up and get around to it eventually.

I have one batch 4 that shows fan speed of 0. Not a big deal because the fan is working. Just wondering if anyone else has that problem? The temp sensor is working. Just not fan speed on chain 2.

Probably a bad PWM sensor...or a bad wiring for it...Try to swap with the other, working fan...

ZiG
ZiG
Activity: 406
Merit: 250

ZiG
Activity: 125
Merit: 100

Activity: 826
Merit: 1000
I have had 2 units from batch 1 running like freakin champs set to 250mhz giving me 505-510 ghs on btcguild (best hashrate out of eligius and ghash) for almost two weeks. To say the least I'm stoked.

If somebody wants to post the correct #'s for 262.5mhz I will consider testing. If all goes well I'll push them up to 275mhz. What's the worst that could happen as long as I keep a close eye on them?

Best of luck, I got 2 B2's that won't OC over 218.75.
Activity: 91
Merit: 11
No banking,Only Bitcoin!
I have had 2 units from batch 1 running like freakin champs set to 250mhz giving me 505-510 ghs on btcguild (best hashrate out of eligius and ghash) for almost two weeks. To say the least I'm stoked.

If somebody wants to post the correct #'s for 262.5mhz I will consider testing. If all goes well I'll push them up to 275mhz. What's the worst that could happen as long as I keep a close eye on them?

legendary
Activity: 4242
Merit: 8515
'The right to privacy matters'

my 2 from batch 4 came in.

since no beep they must have the new firmware

A screen shot of the 2.  I left one alone.  I clocked one to 225

legendary
Activity: 1344
Merit: 1024
Mine at Jonny's Pool
Anyone that updated firmware that was overclocked?  I have one happy overclocked a little.  I'm just scared to mess with whats working.  Wondering what you overclocks think of newer firmware.  I don't care about beeps just speed Smiley
I dropped the new firmware on my batch 1 units the day it was released.  It had absolutely no impact on their ability (or, really lack thereof) to over clock.  My batch 4 units all came with that firmware installed from the factory.  I have not yet tried to over clock the batch 4 units, although every one of them is very happily hashing at 440GH/s, so I might tweak them a little and see what happens.

good news on the batch 4 gear.  I have 2 coming today I want the same results 440 at 218 freq.  and the new firmware
So, just for fun I've tried a few different clock settings on the batch 4 gear.  One unit clocked successfully up to 250 with all "o" chip status; however, the HW error rate was quite high, and for some reason it never made it above 400GH/s.  I have since set that unit to 237.5, and it has been hashing at 475GH/s for about 3 hours now.  Another unit at 250 immediately started showing "x" in a few chips.  I set it to 237.5 and it, too, has been hashing at 475 for the past 3 hours.  Yet another unit is like my batch 1 units... just won't over clock at all, but is very happy at 218.75 and 440GH/s.

One thing I have noticed... my batch 1 units have almost nonexistent hardware errors.  After hashing for the past 3 hours, one has an error rate of 0.0046% and the other is 0.00079%.  All told:

Batch 1
ClockSpeedHW Error %
218.75440.330.0046%
212.5428.360.00079%

Batch 4
ClockSpeedHW Error %
237.5476.140.1079%
237.5475.110.1932%
218.75441.720.0166%
Activity: 7
Merit: 0
My two B1 arrived in the middle east today. Had to go to USA then be reshipped...

Anyway.  One of them had the old firmware and was set to 350mhz from the factory in the cleanly formatted asic-freq.  Obviously didn't run worth a crap and every chip x'ed out. WTF?  The other had the new firmware and was set at 218.75mhz in a sloppy as hell asic-freq.

I updated the other to the latest firmware, added the 218.75 settings, and it ran fine.

At them both to 250mhz.  Both have one chip x'ed.  One has averaged 482ghs and the other 379ghs.  Going to try 237mhz and see how they go, and order some thermal paste which won't arrive for two weeks to clean their mess...

350mhz from the factory? WTF bitmaintech?
legendary
Activity: 4242
Merit: 8515
'The right to privacy matters'
Anyone that updated firmware that was overclocked?  I have one happy overclocked a little.  I'm just scared to mess with whats working.  Wondering what you overclocks think of newer firmware.  I don't care about beeps just speed Smiley
I dropped the new firmware on my batch 1 units the day it was released.  It had absolutely no impact on their ability (or, really lack thereof) to over clock.  My batch 4 units all came with that firmware installed from the factory.  I have not yet tried to over clock the batch 4 units, although every one of them is very happily hashing at 440GH/s, so I might tweak them a little and see what happens.

good news on the batch 4 gear.  I have 2 coming today I want the same results 440 at 218 freq.  and the new firmware
legendary
Activity: 1344
Merit: 1024
Mine at Jonny's Pool
Pages:
Jump to: