Pages:
Author

Topic: BITMAIN Antminer S3 support and OverClocking thread - page 44. (Read 158132 times)

Activity: 630
Merit: 501
Miner Setup And Reviews. WASP Rep.
The exit command !wq doesn't work for me i have to use :wq
legendary
Activity: 1456
Merit: 1000
I have 2 ant's.  Will post more after further testing.  One OC's very nice the other default clock speed seems to work best.  Both batch one.  It seems hit/miss but know it will be better on batches to come since they know the cause of slowdown in the batches they are offering compensation for (coupons/partial refund in account).
Activity: 97
Merit: 10
Money can't buy happiness but it can buy assassins
And is this secure?? I mean... there´s no risk S3 explodes or something? xD
This has me curious as well. I never did overclock the S1's I had, but I'm thinking of overclocking these dudes. I'm really hesitant, though, on the count of them already needing to clock them to 218.75 stock :|

Was thinking of nudging one up to 225, but don't want to risk burning my house down.

A few kilowatts really throws the heat in mid summer. Almost wish this was January.
I'm terrified to leave the house in case a cable melts and 'POOF!', FD calling me to tell me that I screwed up. My 16gauge cable melted or something random I overlooked while frantically getting them online and neglected the cooling.

Soooo hot..
legendary
Activity: 1638
Merit: 1005
I am currently running stable for the last two days at roughly 455GH/s at frequency 225. From frequency 218.75 (The stock my unit shipped with)

Temperature up by only a couple of degrees.
37 --> 39
38 --> 39

Fan RPM up by about 600
1260 --> 1800
1020 --> 1620

Well good news for you, i got one unit that do not handle any OC and the other one perfectly. (OC to 250 mhz at 503 GH/s)
legendary
Activity: 1279
Merit: 1018
Do you need to connect the other 2 power connectors to OC?
Activity: 826
Merit: 1000
Thanks for this Goxed!! This will help a bit with the ROI!
Activity: 630
Merit: 501
Miner Setup And Reviews. WASP Rep.
I am currently running stable for the last two days at roughly 455GH/s at frequency 225. From frequency 218.75 (The stock my unit shipped with)

Temperature up by only a couple of degrees.
37 --> 39
38 --> 39

Fan RPM up by about 600
1260 --> 1800
1020 --> 1620
legendary
Activity: 1946
Merit: 1006
Bitcoin / Crypto mining Hardware.
Total noob here.  Could you please provide a step by step guide to overclocking the S3. Thanks.

Download putty from here first. http://www.putty.org/
Open it and put your antminer ip address.
Put root as username and password when asked.
Then, type and enter the below.
Code:
vim /etc/config/asic-freq
vim is a text file editor. The asic-freq file is opened now.
Type
Code:
i
and comment by putting # in the default values and uncomment by removing # from the frequency set(freq_value,chip_freq,timeout) you want to set.
Type
Code:
!wq
to save and exit the file.
Type the below now and close putty. Restart Antminer S3 and you are running now at the new frequency.

Thanks for the help.  I was able to login via putty and get the screen with the freq values.  However, not sure where on the screen to type the "i" and "!wq" commands.

do yourself a favour and install nano, it's an easier to use (albeit less capable) text editor.
opkg update
opkg install nano

A bit OT but maybe you can answer this for me.

Either in nano or vim - is there a shortcut for select all? I can't seem to find it and replies from searches online don't work for me.
You can try that in visual mode
sorry! visual mode does not work on the antminer's vim.
:v
:gg
:shift+gg
Activity: 784
Merit: 504
Total noob here.  Could you please provide a step by step guide to overclocking the S3. Thanks.

Code:
Type
Code:
i
and comment by putting # in the default values and uncomment by removing # from the frequency set(freq_value,chip_freq,timeout) you want to set.
Type
Code:
!wq
Type the below now and close putty. Restart Antminer S3 and you are running now at the new frequency.

Thanks for the help.  I was able to login via putty and get the screen with the freq values.  However, not sure where on the screen to type the "i" and "!wq" commands.

do yourself a favour and install nano, it's an easier to use (albeit less capable) text editor.
opkg update
opkg install nano

A bit OT but maybe you can answer this for me.

Either in nano or vim - is there a shortcut for select all? I can't seem to find it and replies from searches online don't work for me.

Its not possible to use a single shortcut the select all in nano or vim.
Multiple shortcuts will work that's a hard job. Using mouse will be more easy.
An enhanced version of vim called vim-enhanced may be used.
https://apps.fedoraproject.org/packages/vim-enhanced
Activity: 434
Merit: 250

Code:
Type
Code:
i
Type
Code:
!wq

Thanks for the help.  I was able to login via putty and get the screen with the freq values.  However, not sure where on the screen to type the "i" and "!wq" commands.

opkg update
opkg install nano
Activity: 784
Merit: 504

Just press "i" on the keyboard when the file is opened.
The other one was a typo. After editing you need to press ESC button and type the below code and press ENTER to save the edited file.
Upon window close PUTTY will auto close the connection. Or may manually exit as said in the earlier post.
CODE:
Code:
:wq
Activity: 175
Merit: 100
Pre then type :wq
This will take you back to the prompt. Then type "exit" to ensure you close the connection. At this point you can close your terminal program. Reboot or power cycle the Antminer to complete the change.
Activity: 174
Merit: 100
16Q3R8NAfK63DvkTUGgLdPScyMU8uSAJUH

Code:
Type
Code:
i
Type
Code:
!wq

Thanks for the help.  I was able to login via putty and get the screen with the freq values.  However, not sure where on the screen to type the "i" and "!wq" commands.
Activity: 448
Anyone with info on overclocking steps between the 218.75M and 225M? Like 220M. What are the values to add in?
Activity: 294
Merit: 251
This has me curious as well. I never did overclock the S1's I had, but I'm thinking of overclocking these dudes. I'm really hesitant, though, on the count of them already needing to clock them to 218.75 stock :|

Was thinking of nudging one up to 225, but don't want to risk burning my house down.

i have my S1´s overclocked and no problem. But with S3 im not that confident to OC Grin

I would like to know difference of W for OC and non OC and temperature also
legendary
Activity: 1652
Merit: 1067
Christian Antkow

legendary
Activity: 1344
Merit: 1024
Mine at Jonny's Pool
Goxed,

You got a really nice unit if it's remaining stable at 250 clock and 504GH/s, congrats!  Mine apparently are part of the batch that caused Bitmain to set the clocks back to 218.75.  I tried 225, 237.5 and 250.  I would consistently get "x" and "-" in the ASIC stats and the units never got anywhere near the 504GH/s you're showing.  I left them running like that for 7 hours while I slept last night, hoping things might get better over time.  When I woke up and checked, Ant 1 was averaging 450GH/s and Ant 2 was averaging 387.  At 250 clock.  I set them back to stock and after 13 hours I'm at 441 and 439 with 0.0002% and 0.0004% HW errors.  All ASICs are "o".  It's definitely not a power issue - I've got an EVGA 1300 G2.  I even went so far as to hook only 1 up at a time on the PSU to see if it made a difference.  All 4 PCI-e connected.

Also, that solution for the random beeping did not work for me unfortunately.  They still randomly beep at me.  It's like they're just letting me know they're still going.  If somebody does come up with a valid solution to this, I'd be very much... well, my little lady will be very much appreciative of it Wink

As for temps and fans, mine are in an ambient 22C room.  Ant 1 shows 38/39 and Ant 2 shows 39/40 on stock speeds.  Fans are 1560/1380 and 1620/1380, respectively.  With the same PSU as I have, philipma1957 reported 665W at the wall to run them both at stock.
Activity: 1064
Merit: 500
legendary
Activity: 1279
Merit: 1018
Tks for the guide. I am still awaiting delivery. Do you need to connect the other 2 power connectors to OC? and what is the temp difference between OC and default?
Activity: 434
can someone tell me if opkg is locked down?

edit: also, what's the flash utilization ('df -h')?
Pages:
Jump to: