Pages:
Author

Topic: BITMAIN Antminer S3 support and OverClocking thread - page 39. (Read 158132 times)

Activity: 805
Merit: 250
well no matter what i try, even putting the s3 in front of an AC, the hash rate drops to about 400 after a few hours, not matter the cooling, the cleaning and re paste, heat sinks on the dc-dc and freq i use.
i need to restart it, usually restarting cgminer gives me back my top hash about about 30mins, than it drops slowly,
anyone know how i can kill and restart cgminer every X amount of minutes. ?
Activity: 840
Merit: 1000
You're right! Sorry. I was looking at the paper catalog.

On the PDF, the 220W/mk one, is on page 78!

I just think, the PAD would be easyer then the paste to apply.
OK, I checked, they are aluminium foil with extremely thin layer of heat compound on both sides, that could explain the high w/mk value.
If you can have them for free or almost, why not.
I'm curious to see if it really improves the cooling of the chip.
Activity: 280
You're right! Sorry. I was looking at the paper catalog.

On the PDF, the 220W/mk one, is on page 78!

I just think, the PAD would be easyer then the paste to apply.
Activity: 840

What about using Thermal-PAD's instead of Thermal-paste ??

Check this PDF catalog: http://www.heatmanagement.com/local/media/pdfs/Kunze_ProductCatalogue-2014.pdf
I was looking the pad on page 80 !!  220w/mk !

There are even bether ones on page 94 mage with carbon !

What y'all think about ?

The one on page 80 is rated at 3w/mK
Some phobya pads are rated 7w/mK
And phobya nano grease extreme is 16w/mk.
When looking at heat pastes tests, you will also notice that at a point, it will not be cost efficient at all. Almost no gain with price doubled or tripled.
Good pastes in a 7-12w/mk range will be more than enough for our use in asics.

As a side note, not many materials will give you 200w/mK or over when mixed to form a paste/pad.
Maybe diamond that is 1000w/mK, but t the paste would cost way too much
Anyway, if it ever exists, anything over 200 will be useless since aluminium (heatsink material) is around 220w/wK.
Activity: 280
One of my batch 1 units will not overclock. In fact, sometimes it won't start up at all.

I have it taken apart right now. I am running to the store to get some alcohol for cleaning (well, maybe some other kind to drink as well...).

Several of the chips have this problem.

I know that some people say that thermal paste does not conduct electricity. However, the thermal paste that is used by BitMain has some oil in it which I do believe conducts some electricity (as learned from my S1 experiences). I am hoping a cleanup job will fix this S3.

What about using Thermal-PAD's instead of Thermal-paste ??

Check this PDF catalog: http://www.heatmanagement.com/local/media/pdfs/Kunze_ProductCatalogue-2014.pdf
I was looking the pad on page 80 !!  220w/mk !

There are even bether ones on page 94 mage with carbon !

What y'all think about ?
Activity: 294
Merit: 251
Whats the frequency that if you OC you need to connect 4 PCIE?? I mean, more than 218,75? 225?

And if you dont OC, its recommended to have only 2 PCIE connected?? Or if you have 4 it doesnt matter?
Activity: 616
Merit: 500
For the record, cleaning seems to have fixed my unit. It overclocks to 237.5 Mhz comfortably now whereas it would not OC previously and many times would fail to run at all.

I am still curious how they managed to get paste in the holes where the screws go.
Probably because there is thermal paste also on the bottom of the boards, between the 'main' heatsinks (same as on the S1) and the boards.  If there is too much thermal paste there, as the screws get tightened it squeezes through the holes to the component side of the boards.
('too much of a good thing'.....Smiley

Cheers
ZiG
Activity: 406
For the record, cleaning seems to have fixed my unit. It overclocks to 237.5 Mhz comfortably now whereas it would not OC previously and many times would fail to run at all.

I am still curious how they managed to get paste in the holes where the screws go.

You don't get it ..."Chinese engineering" ... Wink

Just kidding... Grin

I don't understand either... Huh
Activity: 857
Anger is a gift.

legendary
Activity: 1638
Merit: 1005

Thanks for the info ! Smiley
Activity: 150
Merit: 100
Activity: 150
One of my batch 1 units will not overclock. In fact, sometimes it won't start up at all.

I have it taken apart right now. I am running to the store to get some alcohol for cleaning (well, maybe some other kind to drink as well...).

Several of the chips have this problem.

I know that some people say that thermal paste does not conduct electricity. However, the thermal paste that is used by BitMain has some oil in it which I do believe conducts some electricity (as learned from my S1 experiences). I am hoping a cleanup job will fix this S3.

ZiG
legendary
Activity: 2128
Merit: 1005
ASIC Wannabe
Activity: 210
legendary
Activity: 4242
Merit: 8515
'The right to privacy matters'
Right now for me

713 W total for 2 S3

Frequencies:

1-->430 GH/s stable, 212,5 Freq, 41/42 temp
2-->439 GH/s stable, 218,5 Freq, 46/43 temp(cant run at 212,5 i get xx and -)

I will keep them that way just to test, i dont like the OC its nos stable  Huh
Huh... weird that under clocking causes you to see "x" and "-".  Even weirder that running that same unit at 218.75 is stable.  I have 1 unit that just simply won't run stable at stock clocks, but gets a pretty respectable 425-430 at 212.5.  Another runs perfectly happily at 218.75 getting 440.  Neither will over clock at all.

Hey guys...Please, hook up all your 4 PCI-E connectors... Wink

You never know what the PCB designer had in mind...but there is a REASON for these 4 connectors...like traces current(s), parallel (redundant) supply...etc...

Mine S3 are running @ 504 / 250MHz ...& @ 475 / 237.5Mhz now... Grin

ZiG

I ran my S3s with all 4 connectors and it made no difference.  They simply will not handle any kind of higher clock frequencies.  One of them doesn't even manage to hash at the stock clocks and has to be run at 212.5.

yeah both of mine prefer 212.5 over any other number, so why fight it.  they get 430 at 328 watts
legendary
Activity: 1344
Merit: 1024
Mine at Jonny's Pool
Right now for me

713 W total for 2 S3

Frequencies:

Huh... weird that under clocking causes you to see "x" and "-".  Even weirder that running that same unit at 218.75 is stable.  I have 1 unit that just simply won't run stable at stock clocks, but gets a pretty respectable 425-430 at 212.5.  Another runs perfectly happily at 218.75 getting 440.  Neither will over clock at all.

You never know what the PCB designer had in mind...but there is a REASON for these 4 connectors...like traces current(s), parallel (redundant) supply...etc...

ZiG

I ran my S3s with all 4 connectors and it made no difference.  They simply will not handle any kind of higher clock frequencies.  One of them doesn't even manage to hash at the stock clocks and has to be run at 212.5.  Congrats to you on getting "good" ones that can handle the higher frequencies, though.  Wish I were as lucky.
ZiG
Right now for me

713 W total for 2 S3

Frequencies:

ZiG

legendary
Activity: 1344
Merit: 1024
Mine at Jonny's Pool
Right now for me

713 W total for 2 S3

Frequencies:

I will keep them that way just to test, i dont like the OC its nos stable  Huh
Huh... weird that under clocking causes you to see "x" and "-".  Even weirder that running that same unit at 218.75 is stable.  I have 1 unit that just simply won't run stable at stock clocks, but gets a pretty respectable 425-430 at 212.5.  Another runs perfectly happily at 218.75 getting 440.  Neither will over clock at all.
Activity: 294
Merit: 251
Right now for me

713 W total for 2 S3

Frequencies:

I will keep them that way just to test, i dont like the OC its nos stable  Huh
Pages:
Jump to: