Pages:
Author

Topic: BITMAIN Antminer S3 support and OverClocking thread - page 40. (Read 158132 times)

ZiG
Activity: 406
Merit: 250
Activity: 784
Merit: 504
It is. I pay 0.12 kwh. Even with OC I earn more / month and the prize increase for power is not that high.  OK then I will leave it this way Wink thx

Edit: well but I don't think they can explode for OC. They almost run same temperature than without OC and watts increase is not that high.  Mmmmm hard decision . For me it was mining stable at 440 using 218.75 but if I can get more with OC. .. I don't get any X or - works fine

Temperature getting from a particular point doesn't mean that one of your component is getting fried.
But bitmaintech's technical team can contribute something here.
Else we need to check it ourselves without the cover.

But i dont know why, the S3 that has less hashrate, is not estable with 237,5 now indicates its hashing at 367,66 .... i will have to lower frequency for that S3. arggggg. will test it with 225 freq

other S3 also decreased from 475 GH/s to 460 GH/s (250 frequency)

that is the dc to dc convertor it warms up after time and works less efficiently .  thus the hash rate drop.

I have my 2 units set to 212.5  they are rock solid at about 430 gh they pull 328 watts  each.  

[im]http://imagizer.imageshack.us/v2/1280x1024q90/540/W4xRY8.png[/img]

How about water cooling the DC-DC Wink? Funny idea.
Drill holes in some small heat sinks and connect them in series with a small flex tube and glue.
Fill them with cooling liquid and get the two tube endings to the intake fan side.
Arrange some small copper tubings as radiator to cool the cooling liquid inside.
The intake airflow will cool it a bit. The liquid can be rotated through the tubing using a small pump.
That pump may be run using the hot air flow from the miner.
Activity: 294
Merit: 251
It is. I pay 0.12 kwh. Even with OC I earn more / month and the prize increase for power is not that high.  OK then I will leave it this way Wink thx

Edit: well but I don't think they can explode for OC. They almost run same temperature than without OC and watts increase is not that high.  Mmmmm hard decision . For me it was mining stable at 440 using 218.75 but if I can get more with OC. .. I don't get any X or - works fine

Temperature getting from a particular point doesn't mean that one of your component is getting fried.

But i dont know why, the S3 that has less hashrate, is not estable with 237,5 now indicates its hashing at 367,66 .... i will have to lower frequency for that S3. arggggg. will test it with 225 freq

that is the dc to dc convertor it warms up after time and works less efficiently .  thus the hash rate drop.

I have my 2 units set to 212.5  they are rock solid at about 430 gh they pull 328 watts  each.  

212.5 ok man thx, i will test with that frequency too Wink (default 218.75 game me 412,72 and 434,55, lets see with 212.5, should be less GH/s i suppose...)

bot at 212.5 are 690W how can you have 654W  Grin

LOL with 212.5 on my best S3 i get x!! haha i cant lower to 212.5 that unit xD
legendary
Activity: 4242
Merit: 8515
'The right to privacy matters'

based on my knowledge of electrical gear I believe these s-3's should be run at  freq 212.5.

I believe the oc camp will be reporting on burnt out s-3's in about 6 weeks.

Just a guess. But these are very power efficient .  So running it for 5 to 7 months and turning profits is possbile.

It is. I pay 0.12 kwh. Even with OC I earn more / month and the prize increase for power is not that high.  OK then I will leave it this way Wink thx

Edit: well but I don't think they can explode for OC. They almost run same temperature than without OC and watts increase is not that high.  Mmmmm hard decision . For me it was mining stable at 440 using 218.75 but if I can get more with OC. .. I don't get any X or - works fine

Overclocking profitability depends on your electricity rate per KWH.
If the miner is more profitable to run at OC than at the default clock speed after deducting electricity charges, go ahead.
When the margin or profitability comes to near zero revert it back to lower clock frequencies from OC to UC.
The strategy is to find the sweet spot of profitability throughout the period.
The flip side of Overclocking is the risk in ruining your miner. The S1 was rock solid even at OC and its tried and tested.
But the case of S3 is different, its not even mining stable at 441, but in a range below and above for many.
I advice to run at stock speed for some time before OCing.
After few frequency tests, this is what i get:

1st S3, which is the one that gets lower hashrate, using 237,5 frequency(cant run at 250 frequency, i get a lot of xx and - since second 1):

2nd S3, higher hashrate, using 250 frequency:

Do you think its worth it to run them OC considering what i was getting at default 218.75 frequency??

Here are previous stats:

Before OC:

1st S3  --> 218.75 --> 345 W --> 412,72 GH/s  41/43 TEMP. WORKING GOOD. NO ERRORS
2nd S3 --> 218.75 --> 369 W --> 434,55 GH/s  42/43 TEMP. WORKING GOOD. NO ERRORS

After OC:

1st S3 --> 237,5 --> 399 W   --> 455 GH/s 45/45 TEMP. WORKING GOOD. NO ERRORS
2nd S3 --> 250 --> 415 W --> 475 GH/s 47/45 TEMP. WORKING GOOD NO ERRORS

then with what frequency u can OC if you are lucky to 500 GH/S?? 237.5 or 250? I see some people get to 500 GH/s using 250 and others using 237,5 , why is that?

Overclocking to 250M will make the S3 hash at 504Gh/s as per datasheet.
237.5M will hash slightly lower that that. At 225M the miner will hash at 478Gh/s.
At stock frequency 218.75 will make it hash at 441. At stock its somewhat stable at 441.
But for other higher frequencies will fluctuate for most in a wide range.

ok thanks, im testing with different frequencies. one of my 2 S3 cant run at 250 frequency, gets xx and - since second 1
then with what frequency u can OC if you are lucky to 500 GH/S?? 237.5 or 250? I see some people get to 500 GH/s using 250 and others using 237,5 , why is that?

Overclocking to 250M will make the S3 hash at 504Gh/s as per datasheet.
237.5M will hash slightly lower that that. At 225M the miner will hash at 478Gh/s.
At stock frequency 218.75 will make it hash at 441. At stock its somewhat stable at 441.
But for other higher frequencies will fluctuate for most in a wide range.
Activity: 630
Merit: 501
Miner Setup And Reviews. WASP Rep.

250 if you want 500+GH/s
Depends on the luck of the dc part you get in your miner.
Activity: 475
Probably a really dumb question here but................

Say a person just ordered 30 S3's and wanted to find a more economical (not in terms of price but in terms of setup )solution to powering them all instead of buy a ton of standard PSU's.

Does anyone know of a solution involving a larger power supply unit that could say, power 5 units off it instead of having to have a dozen standard ATX psu's?

If you're looking for something easy, most of the >1300W power supplies will power a minimum of (3) S3's.. That would mean 10 PSU's for 30 machines.. easier to manage.

If you're looking for something cheaper, you can buy 100-200A 12V supplies in varies forms (server PSU, LED power supply, etc) and cable your own solution.

I power 4 S3's no prob with this --> http://www.newegg.ca/Product/Product.aspx?Item=N82E16817159158

16 pci-e 6+2 connectors
Activity: 475
So it's been 12 hours give or take since I flashed the new firmware and changed the cgminer settings to queue 0 expiry 1 scan-time 1.  No real noticeable difference.

I thought the new firmware only reduced the beeps further
legendary
Activity: 1344
Merit: 1024
Mine at Jonny's Pool
So it's been 12 hours give or take since I flashed the new firmware and changed the cgminer settings to queue 0 expiry 1 scan-time 1.  No real noticeable difference.

First S3 (hashes ~440):

Second S3 (hashes ~425):
Activity: 467

Say a person just ordered 30 S3's and wanted to find a more economical (not in terms of price but in terms of setup )solution to powering them all instead of buy a ton of standard PSU's.

Does anyone know of a solution involving a larger power supply unit that could say, power 5 units off it instead of having to have a dozen standard ATX psu's?

If you're looking for something easy, most of the >1300W power supplies will power a minimum of (3) S3's.. That would mean 10 PSU's for 30 machines.. easier to manage.

If you're looking for something cheaper, you can buy 100-200A 12V supplies in varies forms (server PSU, LED power supply, etc) and cable your own solution.

legendary
Activity: 2030
Merit: 1076
BTCLife.global participant
Which one of these PSU(800 to 850 W) will you buy?
If I were you I would like to buy this one:
http://www.pccomponentes.com/corsair_ax860_860w_80_plus_platinum.html
Second in line would be this:
http://www.pccomponentes.com/corsair_rm850_850w_80_plus_gold_modular.html

Server PSU is definetely OK, but if something will go wrong or if you get bored of mining seems that it will be easier to sell out a PC PSU rather than server PSU... Grin
legendary
Activity: 1638
Merit: 1005
Which one of these PSU(800 to 850 W) will you buy? As im not going to OC because im fine with default GH/s and temperature and Power consume, with 800 or 850 W better, i can power up 2 S3.

So here are the possible ones:

http://www.pccomponentes.com/fuentes_alimentacion/800w/850w/

Just has to be less than 100 Eur. i know there are very good PSU and they cost more than 100 Eur but i dont want to spend that much if they just work fine.

thanks!

I use a Corsair RM1000 pulling 750 Watt from it (one OC and one Stuck) a bit overkill, but it's running at about 75% capacity which is save and easy for him.

ok guys hehe. i will have to consider then spending a little more just to run them safe Smiley

Thy are cheaper solution like the dell power supply but consider that they are really loud. So for home it might be a bad idea ;-) (like girlfriend going mad)
Activity: 221
Merit: 100
I just wanted to second how awesome gekkosicence's breakout boards are.

Looking for something as close to plug and play as possible.... Thanks for not beating me up over a dumb question. Smiley
Pages:
Jump to: