Pages:
Author

Topic: BITMAIN Antminer S3 support and OverClocking thread - page 7. (Read 158106 times)

Activity: 243
Merit: 100

This is my S3 after a reebot, i already tried 15 min cool down, other firmware and so on.. Do you have an idea? How can so many chips be down after a reebot?

Edit: After i saw the chips went down i undervolt it from 225 to 218 but that didnt work

what is your power supply.

My power supply is an Thermaltake 530 watt. http://www.amazon.de/Thermaltake-Hamburg-80Plus-Bronze-zertifiziert/dp/B004YIU1C6
Activity: 98
Merit: 10

This is my S3 after a reebot, i already tried 15 min cool down, other firmware and so on.. Do you have an idea? How can so many chips be down after a reebot?

Edit: After i saw the chips went down i undervolt it from 225 to 218 but that didnt work
Same question. Can someone give any idea.
legendary
Activity: 1736
Merit: 1006

what is your power supply.
Activity: 243
Merit: 100

legendary
Activity: 3486
Merit: 1126
My S3+ seems to no hash any more. The status LED's are blinking simultaneously (RED & GREEN).

Any idea what this means?

Manually running cgminer says no devices detected...

legendary
Activity: 1274
Merit: 1000
Since it's not an S3 it doesn't belong in this thread at all.  The person who posted it contributed nothing to the conversation.
alh
legendary
Activity: 1843
Merit: 1050

The picture above neglects to include the "hearing protection" (i.e. headphone type) required if you are in the vicinity of that monster. It also doesn't mention that you need about 8x the electrical power and heat output. Not really in the same league as the S3's mentioned in this thread.
legendary
Activity: 1890
Merit: 1031
Activity: 588
Merit: 500
Here is what I have found works, by trial & error, at the lower clock frequencies.

Code:
MHz V Core GH W J/GH
175 0.685 350 197 0.56
150 0.66 300 154 0.51
125 0.64 254 120 0.47
100 0.63 200 96 0.48

The J/GH at 100MHz should be better but I cannot get the Core voltage low enough as am now very close to the TPS53355 DC-DC Converter 0.6V reference voltage.

Rich

legendary
Activity: 1050
Merit: 1001
Core voltage for150 & 175MHz are not covered in the data sheets there is only voltage information down to 225Mhz with 0.72V. Best voltage for lower frequencies has to be found by seeing what works.

Rich

Yeah you gotta try to start low then step it up gradually to see what works best
Core voltage for150 & 175MHz are not covered in the data sheets there is only voltage information down to 225Mhz with 0.72V. Best voltage for lower frequencies has to be found by seeing what works.

Rich

Changing the frequency alone won't significantly increase the efficiency. You have to also reduce the chip voltages through the pencil mod or adding resistors (using voltage setting available with some firmware does nothing). I reduced by adding 8 resistors to each hash board of 4 S3s. I set each to the frequency that was the most efficient. The slowest hashes at 250 and the fastest at 390 Gh/s. I'm now averaging 0.62 J/Gh, which is still profitable.

I am also in the middle of some decision making on which system to go for with a key factor being efficiency. I have modified a board in my S3 with digital pots to make experimenting easier.

https://bitcointalksearch.org/topic/m.12040549

The best I have seen was at 125Mhz, 0.64V Core Voltage, giving a hash of about 254GH which is J/GH of 0.48

Rich

legendary
Activity: 1680
Merit: 1002
Decentralize Everything
Changing the frequency alone won't significantly increase the efficiency. You have to also reduce the chip voltages through the pencil mod or adding resistors (using voltage setting available with some firmware does nothing). I reduced by adding 8 resistors to each hash board of 4 S3s. I set each to the frequency that was the most efficient. The slowest hashes at 250 and the fastest at 390 Gh/s. I'm now averaging 0.62 J/Gh, which is still profitable.

Thanks for that info.  I was hoping it would be as simple as lowing the frequency.

This hasn't put me off though.  I'm confident to make the electronic changes necessary as I have a background in electronics.  I'll give it some thought.

Thanks again.

May I suggest that for what you want, instead of going the s3 route, maybe the r-Box110 would be more inline with your needs. Just a thought. Good Luck.

One or two of those would indeed fit the bill but they are like hens teeth at the moment.  Everywhere is out of stock.

I won't divert this thread with talk about other units but thanks for the suggestion, much appreciated.

The thing I like about the S3 is that that they are cheap and numerous.  It was also a rock solid machine when I was using it for more serious mining in the past  Smiley
Activity: 1064
MOBU

Thanks for that info.  I was hoping it would be as simple as lowing the frequency.

This hasn't put me off though.  I'm confident to make the electronic changes necessary as I have a background in electronics.  I'll give it some thought.

Thanks again.

May I suggest that for what you want, instead of going the s3 route, maybe the r-Box110 would be more inline with your needs. Just a thought. Good Luck.
legendary
Decentralize Everything

Thanks again.
Activity: 442
Merit: 250
Found Lost beach - quiet now
legendary
Decentralize Everything
Hi.

I have a few basic S3 questions if I may.

I have decided that I want a very small mining rig hashing at ~200Ghs with lowest possible power consumption for a bit of bitcoin solo mining lottery fun or occasional use on a multipool to pay out a handful of altcoins.  I stupidly tried some U3s and after a week of soul draining inconsistency I have given up and will be giving them as paperweights.

I used to have an S3+ that I ran maxed out but sold it some time ago.  Luckily, I still have a suitable PSU.

My questions are: 

• Would it be viable to purchase another S3 and adjust the operating frequency so that it would hash at ~200Ghs?
  • If so, what is power consumption and fan noise like at this hashrate?  Would it be better than the claimed U3 rate of 0.8 Watt/GH?

I'm not really keen to go down the pencil mod route as I quite honestly can't be bothered...this is only supposed to be a bit of money wasting fun Smiley

Cheers in advance.
MOBU
any tips on the volt moding? is there a good gui to do it or a file to change? or is it old school and time to break out the old no.2 ?
P.S. have adj the file to 325 and it boots
ran 1 hour got stats of
27 hw     1397accpt/5148discard        avg. Gh/s 425.40      temps 41/44

The info you search is within this thread. Sorry tho...I don't remember what page. Do a quick scan starting about 10 back. Don't know for sure tho. Look at your GUI.
Activity: 111
Merit: 10
any tips on the volt moding? is there a good gui to do it or a file to change? or is it old school and time to break out the old no.2 ?
P.S. have adj the file to 325 and it boots
ran 1 hour got stats of
27 hw     1397accpt/5148discard        avg. Gh/s 425.40      temps 41/44

MOBU
Help...anybody know what kind of serial communication the s3+ uses. Has anyone tried to use a rPi as the controller?
Pages:
Jump to: