Pages:
Author

Topic: BITMAIN Antminer S3 support and OverClocking thread - page 6. (Read 158132 times)

Activity: 7
Merit: 0
Im looking into buying a used s3 can anyone give me a recommendation on a trusted reseller? I dont want to end up with one thats broken. And for a power supply i was going to go with a cx850m so i can run a second s3 on the same supply that will work to power 2 s3 units correct?

while an 850W PSU can power 2 S3s at stock speed you have to get one with 4 SEPARATE PCI-E cables.. (not sure about that model but id check, the picture shows it only have 2 cables with 2 ends each) i would not use cables that have 2 ends to power a S3 by itself..

also the s3 is really close to its end of life.. if you dont have absolutely free power, id consider getting a s5 instead..

edit.. its also a bronze psu and you want a gold or platinum one.. so id pass on that PSU..

The S3 is relatively cheap and i cant afford an s5. I was going to go with that to start collecting bitcoins and hopefully have enough in about a year to get an s7 or whatever the newer miner model is. electric is about 9 cents where i live. can you give me a specific recommendation on psu?

Pci express is 3x2 correct? If so it does have 2.

Right now im running a u3. the main thing i want to do is test the waters without diving in head first.

With the u3 im basically paying over the current btc price in electric and im only getting about 10 cents worth of btc in a day.
legendary
Activity: 1736
Merit: 1006
Im looking into buying a used s3 can anyone give me a recommendation on a trusted reseller? I dont want to end up with one thats broken. And for a power supply i was going to go with a cx850m so i can run a second s3 on the same supply that will work to power 2 s3 units correct?

while an 850W PSU can power 2 S3s at stock speed you have to get one with 4 SEPARATE PCI-E cables.. (not sure about that model but id check, the picture shows it only have 2 cables with 2 ends each) i would not use cables that have 2 ends to power a S3 by itself..

also the s3 is really close to its end of life.. if you dont have absolutely free power, id consider getting a s5 instead..

edit.. its also a bronze psu and you want a gold or platinum one.. so id pass on that PSU..
Activity: 7
legendary
Activity: 1274
Merit: 1000
I've always used all 4 plugs, I figured they are there for a reason.

You can't just connect to one side, then the other board is not getting any power.

When chips X out you can typically power off and then back on and they come back, but if you're losing a whole chain it's something else.  Do you have a psu with 4 pci-e cables you can use, or a second psu with 2 more cables?  What is the power rating of your psu?
Activity: 23
Hi guys I need help, I recently bought 2 antminer s3+'s on ebay, They were both working great for about 1-2 days, now 1 of them on the miner status page, chain #2 is not there, and it's only running 230~ GH/s instead of 450+ like it was before. Is this something I might be able to fix or should I contact the seller?

edit: I'm running 2 power connectors on them, I switched both connectors from the 2 that was plugged in to the other 2 and now it's running full blast again, Is something wrong with the miner where the power connects to one side?
Activity: 588
Merit: 500
Found it. Its resistor R55 in the photo.

What is a safe voltage to try? 0.850V or so ?

Max voltage is 1.2V, but yes I would go for 0.85V then take the frequency up in steps checking for HW errors and keeping an eye on the temperature.

Will have a look for the Data sheet later.

Rich

There is only one website that sells those IC chips and its in Chinese. And I can't find the datasheet on it.

Yes it looks to be a Volterra VT262WF however like you I cannot find a datasheet. Volterra were acquired by Maxim back in 2103 so may be making it more difficult to find?

Rich
legendary
Activity: 3808
Merit: 1723
Up to 300% + 200 FS deposit bonuses

Max voltage is 1.2V, but yes I would go for 0.85V then take the frequency up in steps checking for HW errors and keeping an eye on the temperature.

Rich

There is only one website that sells those IC chips and its in Chinese. And I can't find the datasheet on it.

Rich
legendary

legendary

I don't think I have the TPS53355 chip like I did with my S2. So the pinout might be different.

Ah yes I have seen that 262 V1.1 board before. Can you photograph or read the Ident on the Buck Converter Chip in the picture?

Rich

I can't find the datasheet for it

its

VT262WF
AG1415

I don't think I have the TPS53355 chip like I did with my S2. So the pinout might be different.

Ah yes I have seen that 262 V1.1 board before. Can you photograph or read the Ident on the Buck Converter Chip in the picture?

Rich
legendary
The pencil mod is usually used to reduce the voltage on the Core for better efficiency when underclocking. However by pencil modding a different resistor you can also increse the core voltage to support overclocking.

Red lines indicate the resistors to mod for Undervolting. Green Lines for Overvolting.

Rich

I have a different revision Antminer S3 board, the resistor that I used to undervolt was located on the other side of the board. My S3 are green boards not blue.

I remember when undervolting I found a 30kOhm resistor and I undervolted that by pencil modding to 28kOhm or so.

I do not have info on the other board revision, however there will be an equivalent resistor. The one for Undervolting will go from the Core Voltage output to the VFB input of the TPS53355 Buck Converter Chip. The one for Overvolting will go from the VFB Input to Ground.

Rich

The pencil mod is usually used to reduce the voltage on the Core for better efficiency when underclocking. However by pencil modding a different resistor you can also increse the core voltage to support overclocking.

Red lines indicate the resistors to mod for Undervolting. Green Lines for Overvolting.

Rich

I have a different revision Antminer S3 board, the resistor that I used to undervolt was located on the other side of the board. My S3 are green boards not blue.

I remember when undervolting I found a 30kOhm resistor and I undervolted that by pencil modding to 28kOhm or so.

I do not have info on the other board revision, however there will be an equivalent resistor. The one for Undervolting will go from the Core Voltage output to the VFB input of the TPS53355 Buck Converter Chip. The one for Overvolting will go from the VFB Input to Ground.

Rich
legendary

Rich

Rich
legendary
Activity: 1274
Merit: 1000
Someone correct me if I'm wrong, but I think the pencil mod is only for underclocking (?), and while I know people do it/did it on the S1 I'm not sure if it was doable on the S3.

Some S3s respond a lot differently to overclocking I have read.  You could try picking up and S3+, they respond to the OC a bit better.
legendary
With the rise in BTC I would like to overclock the S3+ to the max.

On one miner the most I can run is at 250Mhz which is 500Gh/s, any freq over and it results in X's.
On another miner the most I can run is at 225Mhz which is 450Gh/s, anything over and it gets X's.

Anyway to overvolt these miners with the pencil mod?
Activity: 243
Merit: 100

This is my S3 after a reebot, i already tried 15 min cool down, other firmware and so on.. Do you have an idea? How can so many chips be down after a reebot?

Edit: After i saw the chips went down i undervolt it from 225 to 218 but that didnt work

what is your power supply.

My power supply is an Thermaltake 530 watt. http://www.amazon.de/Thermaltake-Hamburg-80Plus-Bronze-zertifiziert/dp/B004YIU1C6

2x PCI-E 6+2pin

this power supply is at the very edge of minimum you need to run one s3.

it only puts out 80% of 504W at the +12v line (403w) and has 2 pci-e cables.. hopefully its not one cable with 2 ends..

i personally would not use this power supply..

It is one cable with 2 ends Sad I see its too less power but i also tried it with my PC's power supply (750 watts and 2 seperate PCIe cables) Same result.
legendary

This is my S3 after a reebot, i already tried 15 min cool down, other firmware and so on.. Do you have an idea? How can so many chips be down after a reebot?

Edit: After i saw the chips went down i undervolt it from 225 to 218 but that didnt work

what is your power supply.

My power supply is an Thermaltake 530 watt. http://www.amazon.de/Thermaltake-Hamburg-80Plus-Bronze-zertifiziert/dp/B004YIU1C6

2x PCI-E 6+2pin

this power supply is at the very edge of minimum you need to run one s3.

it only puts out 80% of 504W at the +12v line (403w) and has 2 pci-e cables.. hopefully its not one cable with 2 ends..

i personally would not use this power supply..
legendary

Same question. Can someone give any idea.

did you buy it used? it could have been undervolted.. if so you need to run at 200 or even 150.
Pages:
Jump to: