Pages:
Author

Topic: BITMAIN AntRouter R1: 1st wireless networking device with bitcoin mining chip - page 36. (Read 77432 times)

legendary
Activity: 1638
Merit: 1005
Just saw the screen which you have to set your bitmain userid for the "solo mining" option and you earn 1 bitmain's point per GH. I hate point system .... so much.

I really hope we can tweek this for our address and pool. I'm pretty sure we can.
legendary
Activity: 1484
Merit: 1004
How many confirmation does it normally take to get confirmed with bitmain ? Any idea?
legendary
Activity: 1302
Merit: 1068
I would love to see bitmain produce a mining bitcoin node, possibly with the same router capability

Yeah that would be cool!

I was expecting the R1 to be able to do that, right now i don't see a use for it beside having fun with it as a toy. I would of totally pictured it with a sata port to put a HDD on it so that it can run the block chain. Hah.
legendary
Activity: 1775
Merit: 1032
Value will be measured in sats
I would love to see bitmain produce a mining bitcoin node, possibly with the same router capability

Yeah that would be cool!
legendary
Activity: 3738
Merit: 3848
looks like a US plug tucked away there at the side...why do we need an extra usa adapter for $1 usd then?

yeah, you can kind of pull it out at 90 degrees angle with pins probably of "asian" type, therefore you can just go to any mall and get the "international plug" for it.
legendary
Activity: 2114
ASIC Wannabe
looks like a US plug tucked away there at the side...why do we need an extra usa adapter for $1 usd then?

its a good question. I actually beleive that you do not need the adapter. look at it:

It looks like it adds a grounding pin, but otherwise serves no purpose (that grounding effect wont transfer to the R1 AFAIK)
legendary
ASIC Wannabe
legendary
Activity: 1775
Merit: 1032
Value will be measured in sats

legendary
ASIC Wannabe
Well it increases the hashrate of the network and makes it just a bit more secure
but I find it a funny idea and it helps securing the network...

No, this thing absolutely does NOT "increase the hashrate of the network" by any measurable amount, nor does it do anything to "secure" the network.  Are you guy just repeating buzz words or what?

This is like the agrument that "one vote doesn't count so why vote"..

Sure 1 repeater is next to nothing, 100 000 repeaters though...

HOWEVER, due to the fact it's tied to ant pool the extra security to the network depends on bitmain not wanting to launch a 51% attack... I cannot see why they would do that.

100,000 repeaters (~$2,900,000) is still half the hashrate of a single SP50 (~$45,000 estimated price)

it does slightly help the network, but the amount is absolutely trivial and furthermore if it is fixed to antpool then you are actually only helping out someone who already controls nearly 20% of the hashrate
legendary
Activity: 1736
Merit: 1006

Interesting line from the review.

If you do not want to use solo mode, this will need to log in via SSH to own mining machine, change the relevant documents to achieve.

So it may be possible to just SSH and setup to Mine wherever you want?

Rich

Well, i don't know if it will be built in to easily switch to the coop Antpool mode only. But if it is, it should only be a matter of time before smits or someone else come up with the cracked firmware that will allow it to point it to the pool you desire.

I'm just wondering how convenient if at all it will be. If you point your miners at it, then you're not monitoring it from the outside anymore and will you be able to monitor non AntMiner's on it from the Bitmain's online software?

looking at the pics it has as stats page for usb connected miners.. probably even work with M's antmonitor and cryptoglance.

legendary
Activity: 1302
Merit: 1068

If you do not want to use solo mode, this will need to log in via SSH to own mining machine, change the relevant documents to achieve.

Rich

Well, i don't know if it will be built in to easily switch to the coop Antpool mode only. But if it is, it should only be a matter of time before smits or someone else come up with the cracked firmware that will allow it to point it to the pool you desire.

I'm just wondering how convenient if at all it will be. If you point your miners at it, then you're not monitoring it from the outside anymore and will you be able to monitor non AntMiner's on it from the Bitmain's online software?
legendary

Rich

more then likely its just a cgminer.sh file like the s3 has.. that loads up when you boot..

Activity: 588
Merit: 500

Rich
legendary
sorry for being negative, but I really can't believe, that somebody with at least one brain cell will buy this "miner n router something" cheap box.

*802.11 g/n - obsolete technology from 2009, all new devices from 2014/2015 supporting already ac standart
*only 2.4GHz - due to wireless noise in 2.4 almost unusable especially in populated areas
*no sma connector for external antenna
*very cheap chinese plastic look with typical ugly looking font
*shipping costs are quite high compared to price of product
*electricity consumption is higher than my mikrotik routerboard and cisco access point combined

from marketing point of view, this is masterpiece like "mining bulbs" from bitfury. in reality, it is just using bitcoin brand to sell something, what will never you mine single bitcoin. if you want to be in solo mining block lottery, just buy some used mining USB key from marketplace section and connect it to anything. as bonus, you will learn something new and there is also possibility to switch a pool.

while ac is fast it has higher latency.. n is actually better for something that requires low latency. this brings me to 5ghz.. while its nice to have the channels 5ghz has to offer, it doesnt pass through walls very well and you can forget about brick or concrete..

according to the post just above yours, it seems to be made out of black aluminum, not plastic..

as for an antenna.. it probably has an internal one, if you really wanted you can probably drill a small hole and add a sma connector for an external antenna.. it cant be that hard.

also i got one of these because i have a regular router in bridge mode attached to my s5 out in the garage..

yes it was a tad more expensive then a router purchased online, but not by much.. it was 29$ plus shipping.. came to 45$
a router that has a usb connection is about the same.. yes you can get cheaper routers.. amazon has some N ones for 19$ plus shipping but those are very basic.. a good N router is 80$+ an AC router is around 150$

this seems to use the same UI for the router as the S3 had for the networks.. you should be able to assign virtual networks and it probably even has a very capable built in firewall.

so this is ideal for what i need.. plus i plan on adding a powered hub to see if i can power a couple of sidehacks usb sticks.
legendary
Activity: 1036
Merit: 1000
/dev/null
sorry for being negative, but I really can't believe, that somebody with at least one brain cell will buy this "miner n router something" cheap box.

*802.11 g/n - obsolete technology from 2009, all new devices from 2014/2015 supporting already ac standart
*only 2.4GHz - due to wireless noise in 2.4 almost unusable especially in populated areas
*no sma connector for external antenna
*very cheap chinese plastic look with typical ugly looking font
*shipping costs are quite high compared to price of product
*electricity consumption is higher than my mikrotik routerboard and cisco access point combined

from marketing point of view, this is masterpiece like "mining bulbs" from bitfury. in reality, it is just using bitcoin brand to sell something, what will never you mine single bitcoin. if you want to be in solo mining block lottery, just buy some used mining USB key from marketplace section and connect it to anything. as bonus, you will learn something new and there is also possibility to switch a pool.
legendary
Activity: 1260
Merit: 1009
Looks like you can direct a u3 to another pool.   Smiley

I'll try hosting a Compac with it.
Activity: 686
Merit: 500
FUN > ROI
legendary
Activity: 1973
Merit: 1007
I wonder how many they made? How many did CrazyGuy order?

OMG: How ever will we secure the network?Huh  Smiley Smiley Smiley

I didn't order too many but I do think they are interesting devices. My personal use will be extending the wireless range in my home, running some U3s and hopefully tricking it into running a Compac or two. 
legendary
Activity: 1456
Already sold out ??  Angry

It's not to surpising they put it up at a decent price.  I suspected much higher price then they did.   So I'm sure they had decent sales.

But there will no doubt be more batches of them to come.
legendary
Activity: 1722
Pages:
Jump to: