Pages:
Author

Topic: BITMAIN AntRouter R1: 1st wireless networking device with bitcoin mining chip - page 39. (Read 77432 times)

legendary
Activity: 1736
Merit: 1006
any reason why adding the us power adapter increases the shipping by like 15$??

its only a 1$ addon, id think it would even fit in the box it comes in?

i also have other questions, can i use this to give my s5 wifi? by plugging the s5 into the cat5 and then attaching this to an existing wifi network?
also, why didnt you guys use a power cable that can be detached and switched for a usa one? instead of using a clunky adapter.

Good question. I'm interested to know if this can function as a WiFi-bridge as well.

i ordered one.. if it can, i will get a couple more..

judging by this

2. Mini WiFi Access Point

Use the R1 on either a wired or wireless internet connection while on the go to create your own wireless access point.

it sounds like it..
Activity: 140
Merit: 100

i also have other questions, can i use this to give my s5 wifi? by plugging the s5 into the cat5 and then attaching this to an existing wifi network?
also, why didnt you guys use a power cable that can be detached and switched for a usa one? instead of using a clunky adapter.

Good question. I'm interested to know if this can function as a WiFi-bridge as well.
legendary
Activity: 1736
Merit: 1006

Activity: 435
Merit: 250
1) It could be better if USB port could handle USB modems;
2) Why not let user to choose the pool?

It seems that nobody need such device.

p.s. personally I would like to install a similar device into my car. There is a relatively free electricity in it, and this device should have a slot for SIM cards (and/or Wi-Fi module) for cgminer to connect to the pools. BITMAIN, take note of this.  Grin

That would be decent indeed. Solo mine when riding the car
alh
legendary
Activity: 1843
Merit: 1050
My mistake on the battery within the R1. It seems that it was just today that the product went up on their Shop page.

In any event, I read:

"meaning that as long as the device is powered, you are competing for a chance to solve a block". I take that to mean "Powered from the wall", and not related to the battery, though I guess it's ambiguous. There is no mention of the battery capacity from what I read either.

Even if it could be operated from the battery, it wouldn't likely have much life if used that way.
Activity: 588
Merit: 500

I think you will find that the miner plugs directly into the Mains & has no separate PSU. On the battery they are claiming it can be used to charge Mobile Phones & Tablets so I think my questions are valid. I was actually after an answer from Bitmain, as I can guess as well as anyone.  Smiley

Rich

I don't think you should expect to find a battery in the R1, any more than you would if you purchased a "wall wart" USB charger. When it's plugged in, the USB port is "live" and can act as a charging device, just like just about every other USB port. I'll bet the "It's a charger too" is primarily marketing driven. Whatever it does, it ONLY does when it's plugged into the wall (IMHO).

Why should I not expect a battery when the spec says?

3. High Speed USB Charger

Use the onboard battery to keep your devices charged while traveling. Suitable for charging mobile phones and tablet computers.

I was merely asking if the "onboard battery" could also power the device and if so for how long? Seemed like a reasonable question to me, and if we had a full specification as you would usually have when buying a device like this I would not need to have asked.  Smiley

Rich
legendary
Activity: 1456
Merit: 1000
I just don't see the point in this...
Well it isn't really for you or I, it is for the newbies on amazon who want a chance to win the Bitlotto, although it does have uses for miners. I personally have like 3 tplinks all working as client mode to allow me us use the ethernet on the miners over wifi as they aren't all in one location, these cost around 20$ each, 10$ more for a phone charger/Pi power supply as well and a 5.5gh/s lotto ticket, seems fair to me.

The shipping is what I don't like.

I would agree shipping kinda is insane.  When shipping is almost the same price as unit that is when it makes you wonder what they are thinking.

With these being lotto devices they don't need to make it to customer door in a few day's. They could ship slow with these companies and save shipping money.   And pass savings on to customer.
Exactly and we know shipping from china can be EXTREMELY cheap, I mean less than 1usd for sure to get these to America in 2 weeks, give me that option and I am in.

They are treating it like one of their S series miners which it is not on shipping.  I don't expect them to change it though but that would be nice.

I am happy they let you buy 1 that is much better then U3 options direct from bitmain.  I just wish they had us adapter in stock or told us what adapter we needed to order for them to work.
legendary
Activity: 1638
Merit: 1005
I'm going to get one, just for the fun of it.

This is funny how people come here just to complains.

I'm not looking for an ROI.

It might be not perfect, this is the first version.

Throw them some feedback and it might become what you want.

It's 29 US + shipping ... I mean i pay that just in Gaz every week... No big deal.

Just my 2 cents
legendary
Well it isn't really for you or I, it is for the newbies on amazon who want a chance to win the Bitlotto, although it does have uses for miners. I personally have like 3 tplinks all working as client mode to allow me us use the ethernet on the miners over wifi as they aren't all in one location, these cost around 20$ each, 10$ more for a phone charger/Pi power supply as well and a 5.5gh/s lotto ticket, seems fair to me.

The shipping is what I don't like.

I would agree shipping kinda is insane.  When shipping is almost the same price as unit that is when it makes you wonder what they are thinking.

With these being lotto devices they don't need to make it to customer door in a few day's. They could ship slow with these companies and save shipping money.   And pass savings on to customer.
alh
legendary
Activity: 1843
Merit: 1050

I think you will find that the miner plugs directly into the Mains & has no separate PSU. On the battery they are claiming it can be used to charge Mobile Phones & Tablets so I think my questions are valid. I was actually after an answer from Bitmain, as I can guess as well as anyone.  Smiley

Rich

I don't think you should expect to find a battery in the R1, any more than you would if you purchased a "wall wart" USB charger. When it's plugged in, the USB port is "live" and can act as a charging device, just like just about every other USB port. I'll bet the "It's a charger too" is primarily marketing driven. Whatever it does, it ONLY does when it's plugged into the wall (IMHO).
legendary
I wait until someone publishes a hack, so I can produce some dust on another pool...
I doubt it'll be a hack more of a configuration, just plug in via ethernet, connect and possibly install a new firmware image or patch.

Bitmain has never in past done anything to stop custom firmware.  I'm assuming they will keep that philosophy with this device aswell.

So it is a good chance it will have a custom image, as long as someone works on it.   
legendary
Activity: 2061
Merit: 1388
legendary
Activity: 3738
Merit: 3848
Afaik this supports 3 main uses:
A) basic WiFi network for anyone who only has a wired network/modem.
B) novelty/collectible/"lottery device" for non-profitable mining
C) if it can connect to WiFi and act as wired access point it would solve the griping over lack of WiFi in mining hardware. You place one of these and a network switch in your mining farm, and save yourself costly ethernet installation through the walls/floors of your home

If it does the wired AP or wireless repeater effectively though, it could be a decent device useful for more than simply mining

A) yes, but it depends on how well it plays with third party devices, including larger routers (like airport extreme). if it could be used to extend the network-fine.
B) OK, but not sure how practical it is-how it is tabulated so you TRULY have a chance, and not just give your hash to antpool. They have to explain this better.
C) I suppose, but i use  airport express for it-it works pretty good and was able to support at least six-seven devices via an ethernet hub.
Activity: 89
Merit: 10
I wait until someone publishes a hack, so I can produce some dust on another pool...

yeah, $3 in a year

lol totally not even worth it.. but I do wish we could use CK solo pool instead, then set up another mining group like Phil had with the sidehack sticks

They'd have to bring down the price to about $2 for the same breakeven you get on the S7.  Now maybe if they'd throw a few more chips in there (an even dozen?) and keep it at the same price...  Wink
legendary
Activity: 1050
Merit: 1001

yeah, $3 in a year

lol totally not even worth it.. but I do wish we could use CK solo pool instead, then set up another mining group like Phil had with the sidehack sticks
A few questions for Bitmain.

1) Spec says 100V - 220V. Are these ok on 240V?
2) What is the capacity of the on board battery?
3) Is the battery only suitable for charging USB devices or can it also power the router without mains connection?
4) Does the Router continue to Mine when on battery power?
5) If the battery supports running the device, what is the battery life?
6) Is there a more complete Specification / Manual that answers these & other question?

Thanks

Rich
1) the router certainly runs on either 5v or 12v. The voltage rating applies only to the adapter sold with it.
2/3/4/5) what on board battery? I don't see any mention, but would assume any battery is simply to maintain rom/clock and not actually significant capacity. Certainly won't be for mining or mobile use.

C) if it can connect to WiFi and act as wired access point it would solve the griping over lack of WiFi in mining hardware. You place one of these and a network switch in your mining farm, and save yourself costly ethernet installation through the walls/floors of your home

If it does the wired AP or wireless repeater effectively though, it could be a decent device useful for more than simply mining

I think you will find that the miner plugs directly into the Mains & has no separate PSU. On the battery they are claiming it can be used to charge Mobile Phones & Tablets so I think my questions are valid. I was actually after an answer from Bitmain, as I can guess as well as anyone.  Smiley

Rich
legendary
Activity: 2114
Merit: 1005
ASIC Wannabe
A few questions for Bitmain.

1) Spec says 100V - 220V. Are these ok on 240V?
2) What is the capacity of the on board battery?
3) Is the battery only suitable for charging USB devices or can it also power the router without mains connection?
4) Does the Router continue to Mine when on battery power?
5) If the battery supports running the device, what is the battery life?
6) Is there a more complete Specification / Manual that answers these & other question?

Thanks

Rich
1) the router certainly runs on either 5v or 12v. The voltage rating applies only to the adapter sold with it.
2/3/4/5) what on board battery? I don't see any mention, but would assume any battery is simply to maintain rom/clock and not actually significant capacity. Certainly won't be for mining or mobile use.

legendary
Activity: 3738
Merit: 3848

yeah, $3 in a year
legendary
Activity: 2338
Merit: 1124
I suspect it's a glitch while they sort out the postage costs which were as much for the adapter as the Router. Ordered mine without as they did not have a UK Adapter available.

Rich
Pages:
Jump to: