Pages:
Author

Topic: BITMAIN AntRouter R1: 1st wireless networking device with bitcoin mining chip - page 37. (Read 77432 times)

alh
legendary
Activity: 1843
Merit: 1050
I wonder how many they made? How many did CrazyGuy order?

OMG: How ever will we secure the network?Huh  Smiley Smiley Smiley
legendary
Activity: 1484
Merit: 1004
Activity: 359
Merit: 250
Well it increases the hashrate of the network and makes it just a bit more secure
but I find it a funny idea and it helps securing the network...

No, this thing absolutely does NOT "increase the hashrate of the network" by any measurable amount, nor does it do anything to "secure" the network.  Are you guy just repeating buzz words or what?

Maybe look at the time of comments... we just used same words at same moment.
legendary
Activity: 1722
Merit: 1000
Well it increases the hashrate of the network and makes it just a bit more secure

No, this thing absolutely does NOT "increase the hashrate of the network" by any measurable amount, nor does it do anything to "secure" the network.  Are you guy just repeating buzz words or what?

This is like the agrument that "one vote doesn't count so why vote"..

Sure 1 repeater is next to nothing, 100 000 repeaters though...

HOWEVER, due to the fact it's tied to ant pool the extra security to the network depends on bitmain not wanting to launch a 51% attack... I cannot see why they would do that.
legendary
Activity: 1274

legendary
I figured any outlet adaptor would work, why wouldn't it?
legendary
Activity: 3738
Merit: 3848
IT only draws 24 watts...

I don't get it this thing SMASHES any repeater on the market as it costs the same.. draws the same BUT MINES for you..

1. consider shipping costs-negative or get from a group-better
2. it does NOT mine-it gives you a chance in a lottery, which with your miner being ~1/100000000 of the network, would work out for 1 block in ~200 years at the current difficulty. However, it also means that for every 2000 sold and being deployed 24/7, one will score a block within a ~year on average (with current difficulty), but the other 1999 will produce NOTHING. I did a rough estimate-numbers could be off, but it is what i got.

#2.. that IS MINING...........................  Mining with a CPU back in the day was like this...  It 100% mines.

It costs $16 to ship it with out the convertor.  

It does everything a repeater does but mines as well.. I need to repeate the wireless signal in my room.. haven't bought one yet, why would I buy anything but this..?  

Other device, repeats interenet signal, costs $40cad, draws 24ish watts..

THis device, repeates interenet signal, costs $40 cad, draws 24 watts, SOLO mines bitcoins.  I don't even want it on a pool.. that is what my S3's are for lol.

i am not saying that you should not buy it, i am saying that you can disregard the "mining" function of it.
I would have preferred $3/year truly "mined" instead of a 1/2000 chance each year, but to each their own.
second, I don't see a separate cord with a plug, so i assume that plug IS needed (device will not work without it).
Edit: probably not as there is a pull away plug-see pictures from cybtc below.
Activity: 359
Merit: 250

I don't get it this thing SMASHES any repeater on the market as it costs the same.. draws the same BUT MINES for you..

2. it does NOT mine-it gives you a chance in a lottery, which with your miner being ~1/100000000 of the network, would work out for 1 block in ~200 years at the current difficulty. However, it also means that for every 2000 sold and being deployed 24/7, one will score a block within a ~year on average (with current difficulty), but the other 1999 will produce NOTHING. I did a rough estimate-numbers could be off, but it is what i got.

Of course you are right but I find it a funny idea and it helps securing the network... I think too people will fork the firmware and include cgminer. Maybe simply just change the pool config & you have a nice altcoinminer.
legendary

#2.. that IS MINING...........................  Mining with a CPU back in the day was like this...  It 100% mines.

It costs $16 to ship it with out the convertor.  

It does everything a repeater does but mines as well.. I need to repeate the wireless signal in my room.. haven't bought one yet, why would I buy anything but this..?  

Other device, repeats interenet signal, costs $40cad, draws 24ish watts..

THis device, repeates interenet signal, costs $40 cad, draws 24 watts, SOLO mines bitcoins.  I don't even want it on a pool.. that is what my S3's are for lol.
legendary
Activity: 3738
Merit: 3848

legendary

legendary
Activity: 1775
Merit: 1032
Value will be measured in sats
I just thought of something.

Is this Bitmain's response to the BitFury "Mining Light Bulb"?

Makes a LOT more sense in that sort of ... model ....

yes I think so...hail the dawn of mining chips in every home device for a 1/6 million* chance to get lucky...hell it probably beats buying a lotto ticket and it is a one-off purchase...least the mofos at bitmain are still innovating...

*odds may not be accurate and were pulled out of my ass. klintay reserves right to change odds at will and is not held accountable for shady ass impulse buying sprees made while you were sort of drunk the other night. also time spent reading this is non-refundable. suck it.

One small quibble: You continue to "buy" a lottery ticket by paying the electric bill, which will be a bit higher as a result of the mining ASIC inside. Probably won't matter to most, but it's still there. Unplug it, and your lottery participation ends.

will be interesting to see what the real power cost per day to run one these is compared to a normal router  Wink

So you have "thing A" that does the exact same thing as "thing B", except "thing A" costs more to purchase, and costs more to operate (because of the ASIC), and both "things" have basically the same chance of solving a solo block (0 for "thing B", essentially 0 for "thing A" and getting closer to 0 with every + diff adjustment)?

I am failing to see where I overreached here.  You probably thought the bitfury lightbulb had merit, too.

lets face it you're right...using this extra chip and power consumption to mine btc is probably a massive waste...but does anyone have a better idea of what it could be doing with that processing power...
legendary
Activity: 1456
I certainly hope so, otherwise this thing is totally useless and a gimmick.

And knowing Bitmain their fork of cgminer on the R1 will have crap messed up in it and it won't be efficient as it could be and Kano will have to write an updated R1 version...
Totally useless? I think that is quite the overreach, if it can give ethernet only devices (Many miners) connection to a wifi signal, power a phone or pi and mine I think is worth the extra 10$ over a tplink that I use just to connect a miner to wifi.

So you have "thing A" that does the exact same thing as "thing B", except "thing A" costs more to purchase, and costs more to operate (because of the ASIC), and both "things" have basically the same chance of solving a solo block (0 for "thing B", essentially 0 for "thing A" and getting closer to 0 with every + diff adjustment)?

I am failing to see where I overreached here.  You probably thought the bitfury lightbulb had merit, too.

its a novelty, but its ideal for a future where someone who doesnt know how to easily buy bitcoin can have a small wifi router that gives them small lottery odds.
personally, i want it to be pool-customizable. The above scenario works way better when the user can instead make a few cents a day for use in online tipping or micropayments

but mostly, its a novelty thing. It pairs perfectly with the U3 as a cute "look im mining bitcoins!" doohicky and otherwise would look nice added to the stack of old/collectible antminer hardware

Lets be honest it is a novelty no doubt.  It is not useless but it by far will not ROI for pretty much everyone.   The argument on it being worth 10 more then tplink nano..... i don't know Avalon has used the tplink nano (the one with the usb not the one lacking usb) as a good controller running ddwrt and cgminer.

Also don't forget you can get tplink off amazon with prime free shipping or not it's cheap.   Bitmain did not give a cheap shipping option on a lotto device they should have a slow shipping option.   But they did not make us buy a pack of 10 or something so that is a change from U3 sales which is good.   But I will buy one as it's fun to play with.

I still think we can count on the community for a firmware that will unlock some features on the R1.  
legendary
Activity: 2114
Merit: 1005
ASIC Wannabe

And knowing Bitmain their fork of cgminer on the R1 will have crap messed up in it and it won't be efficient as it could be and Kano will have to write an updated R1 version...
Totally useless? I think that is quite the overreach, if it can give ethernet only devices (Many miners) connection to a wifi signal, power a phone or pi and mine I think is worth the extra 10$ over a tplink that I use just to connect a miner to wifi.

I am failing to see where I overreached here.  You probably thought the bitfury lightbulb had merit, too.

its a novelty, but its ideal for a future where someone who doesnt know how to easily buy bitcoin can have a small wifi router that gives them small lottery odds.
personally, i want it to be pool-customizable. The above scenario works way better when the user can instead make a few cents a day for use in online tipping or micropayments

but mostly, its a novelty thing. It pairs perfectly with the U3 as a cute "look im mining bitcoins!" doohicky and otherwise would look nice added to the stack of old/collectible antminer hardware
legendary

I am failing to see where I overreached here.  You probably thought the bitfury lightbulb had merit, too.
legendary
Activity: 1736
Merit: 1006
If the shipping was more reasonable it would be only an extra $10; with the current shipping cost it is more like an extra $25.

shipping is alot cheaper if you dont get that 1$ adapter..

if you need it get it from dx or aliexpress with free shipping.
legendary
Activity: 1260
Merit: 1009
If the shipping was more reasonable it would be only an extra $10; with the current shipping cost it is more like an extra $25.
legendary

Even if it is yes I expect to see a custom firmware at somepoint.  They have never locked down firmware on any miner so far so I highly doubt a 30 dollar router they take the time to lock it down.

So assuming someone does modify the firmware the sky is kinda the limit. 

legendary
Activity: 1456
Won't the U3's be solo mining on the pool as well tho'?

I expect the short answer is: Yes.

Even if it is yes I expect to see a custom firmware at somepoint.  They have never locked down firmware on any miner so far so I highly doubt a 30 dollar router they take the time to lock it down.

So assuming someone does modify the firmware the sky is kinda the limit. 
Activity: 588
Merit: 500
How do you know that?  

It is much more plausible that they will just be added as an additional device to the cgminer instance running the internal chip; and also be directed to Antpool.
OK I appreciate that there is an element of guesswork here, but being forced to mine solo with the R1 is one thing, but then "choosing" to be forced on a Miner that could mine anywhere you want is sooooo unacceptable that even Bitmain would not do that.  Smiley

All of which brings out one of the biggest problems with the R1 at the moment that we are all just guessing what the complete spec is and I and I suspect others are just buying out of curiosity to get to the bottom of what it actually does.  Smiley

Rich
Pages:
Jump to: