Pages:
Author

Topic: Braiins OS & Braiins OS+ custom ASIC firmware: optimize performance & efficiency - page 8. (Read 45027 times)

legendary
Activity: 1988
Merit: 1561
CLEAN non GPL infringing code made in Rust lang
It indeed sounds like a bug, in the second case the switch will keep the miner's LAN interface alive so the miner expects to be receiving work from the pool, and whatnot, in the first scenario, however, the LAN interface will go to sleep mode, the miner knows that and thus "behaves" normally, the firmware should check for internet connectivity and not LAN status.

On a side but related note, there should be an option on "What do to when your internet goes down", most custom firmware will keep the fans spinning while the hash boards shut down (the miner doesn't waste electricity), the stock firmware will keep on working for nothing (wasting electricity), it's easy to assume that the custom firmware way of dealing with it is better, but it isn't always the case, I have lost a few tens of miners because the internet went down on a cold wet day, and most of the miners that had custom firmware running died because the miner was colder than the room temp and the dewpoint was pretty low around the fan intake, water condensed and the miners rested in peace.

On the other hand, the gears that were on stock firmware were still generating enough heat and keeping the dewpoint at a higher level, and so they survived, to many people this whole relative humidity/dewpoint /temperature topic is irrelevant and they just want to reduce the power bill, to others, it's better to waste a few tens of dollars on miners that are burning electricity for no revenue rather than throwing away all of thier gears.

Yes we know of this and its been reported and i even suggested a solution.

In the meantime, you can just set the minimum number of fans to 0.

This happens because some fans don't like getting set to like 1% speed, under certain threshold they bump to 100%. My suggestion is to add an absolute minimum value (ie. 10%). So technically its a hardware issue, but since there are many fans of different brands, even shipped like that from Bitmain, this happens to various people.

The firmware just wants to powerdown the fans when the hashboards aren't working, to reduce the noise. Ironically, to these people it does the exact opposite. Someone even joked this is the alarm to tell you your internet is down Cheesy

PS: Braiins OS+ does perform a pre-heating to avoid the situation mentioned by mikeywith. You can look at it in the system log.

Any ideas how to restore?

Either use the sd card recovery image from Bitmain, or the bos-toolbox, ie. bos-toolbox uninstall ipaddress. Then log into the miner and "update" that firmware to the latest from Bitmain.

Once you have Braiins OS installed just inserting the sd card won't boot from it unless you edit the text file uEnv.txt and add the line sd_boot=yes. I don't think reflashing Braiins OS from sd would make any difference, what you could try is re-enabling the boards (in Miner > Configuration) and lower the powerlimit (autotuning should always be enabled).
Activity: 71
Merit: 41
Need some help.

Flashed my S17 NAND with Braiins. Miner fans just throttle, not hashing. Tried flashing back with the software, displays "The uploaded image file does not contain a supported format. Make sure that you choose the generic image format for your platform."

Tried flashing back with SD, and just boots from NAND.

My miner is doing nothing now fans just throttling. Was working fine with stock bBtmain firmware.

Any ideas how to restore?
legendary
Activity: 2170
Merit: 6279
be constructive or S.T.F.U
Nothing happens while i have internet. All perfectly good and working with 40% Fan, 550 mhz and 8.5 volts. Losing internet makes this behavior.

Let me fill the details.

If you have S9---->Router cable and you disconnect the cable, S9 behaves correctly, keeps at 40% (detects no cable detected)
If you have S9---->SWITCH------->Router and you disconnect the SWITCH----->Router cable, after 5 minutes the unit goes crazy.

I believe this is a bug, that's why i'm reporting it.

It indeed sounds like a bug, in the second case the switch will keep the miner's LAN interface alive so the miner expects to be receiving work from the pool, and whatnot, in the first scenario, however, the LAN interface will go to sleep mode, the miner knows that and thus "behaves" normally, the firmware should check for internet connectivity and not LAN status.

On a side but related note, there should be an option on "What do to when your internet goes down", most custom firmware will keep the fans spinning while the hash boards shut down (the miner doesn't waste electricity), the stock firmware will keep on working for nothing (wasting electricity), it's easy to assume that the custom firmware way of dealing with it is better, but it isn't always the case, I have lost a few tens of miners because the internet went down on a cold wet day, and most of the miners that had custom firmware running died because the miner was colder than the room temp and the dewpoint was pretty low around the fan intake, water condensed and the miners rested in peace.

On the other hand, the gears that were on stock firmware were still generating enough heat and keeping the dewpoint at a higher level, and so they survived, to many people this whole relative humidity/dewpoint /temperature topic is irrelevant and they just want to reduce the power bill, to others, it's better to waste a few tens of dollars on miners that are burning electricity for no revenue rather than throwing away all of thier gears.
donator
Activity: 446
Merit: 262
Interesting.
Nothing happens while i have internet. All perfectly good and working with 40% Fan, 550 mhz and 8.5 volts. Losing internet makes this behavior.

Let me fill the details.

If you have S9---->Router cable and you disconnect the cable, S9 behaves correctly, keeps at 40% (detects no cable detected)
If you have S9---->SWITCH------->Router and you disconnect the SWITCH----->Router cable, after 5 minutes the unit goes crazy.

I believe this is a bug, that's why i'm reporting it.
legendary
Activity: 4102
Merit: 7765
'The right to privacy matters'
A lot depends on what speeds you are doing the unit at.

Here is a 1 board build with a lessor fan.

this fan is good.

https://www.ebay.com/itm/Delta-AFB1212SHE-PWM-120mm-x-38mm-4pin-PWM-FAN-Extreme-Hi-speed-3700-RPM-151CFM/143654747353?

since you use 1 fan it saves power

the single fan is low speed about 1740

set to 400 mhz and  8.1 volts

I have had the pulsing issue you mention set on auto.

So I always do manual speed as these are my ck.pool lottery tickets.

donator
Activity: 446
Merit: 262
Interesting.
Trying your software. When my router disconnects, 5 minutes after my s9 starts speeding up the fan to 100%, up and down constantly.
When the router connects back all gets ok.

I have settled manually the fan to 40% and this is very inconvenient, can i avoid this behavior?
Activity: 2492
Merit: 621
Thanks for the reply Artemis. So if I was to get a 14.5th version of S9 it may produce a better hashrate at a given power compared to a a less efficient “standard” S9?
legendary
Anyone notice any efficiency difference between the standard S9 13.5th and the S9j 14.5th?

Also would the S9j hashboards work with the s9 13.5th control board? Seeing as ive already got braiins os on the nand

The faster models should be more efficient at any power use (speed) than the slower models. The goal of Braiins OS+ is efficiency, for S9s the best i have seen is about 70 watts per tera hash. Lower powerlimit values (and target temperature) tend to produce better results, especially with immersion. (ie. 60° 825W).

The control boards are all mostly the same, and Braiins OS+ doesn't even care if you mix hash boards. But then you'll have like two boards at 70° and another in 85°, etc.
Activity: 10
Merit: 0
very nice software to antminer !

right now im testing os+ with old s9, i think it's one of the first old ones , released in 2017 14TH , not s9j or s9SE........
It's doing great, 755W from the wall and 10.5TH , share your results , anyone got better ??
Activity: 10
Merit: 1
[...]

I have a similar issue to this on my T17 where I was using the beta version (braiins-os_am2-s17_sd_2020-11-05-0-7f7650dc-20.11-plus-nightly) on SD and was all fine and dandy but when I went to flash it to the NAND now it will no longer boot up and only gives the RED light. I've tried resetting and also boot from the factory SD image with no luck.
Anyone notice any efficiency difference between the standard S9 13.5th and the S9j 14.5th?

Also would the S9j hashboards work with the s9 13.5th control board? Seeing as ive already got braiins os on the nand
Activity: 19
Merit: 21
Hi all,

I posted on the mining forum about a problem I had and it got deleted (I must be new...). Anyway, the info was helpful and relevant so I'm going to tack it on here so it can help the next person.

I was using an SD card to attempt to boot a number of used Antminer S9's that I purchased used. The unit appeared to boot but all I got was a solid red status LED light and no network. I tried booting the stock firmware from NAND and resetting the network there and then booting from SD again. No luck.

It was recommended that I add

Code:
cfg_override=no

to the uEnv.txt file. I did that and it worked! The unit was given a proper IP address and I was able to get in to the Braiins OS web interface to configure the miner.

I don't remember the poster who helped me out now, since the original post is missing... but thank you!
Activity: 112
Merit: 13
Thank you for the API information.

Full support for the remote management and monitoring of ASICs running bOS and bOS+ has been added to https://foreman.mn
legendary
any plans for t17e?

Yes it is being worked upon, no dates yet...

There was a release today:

Braiins OS+ 20.11 | Full release for S17+, T17, and T17+

Key points:
  • Improved tuner performance for all X17 models
  • A single BOS Toolbox that can be used for batch installation, configuration, etc. on any mix of S9 and X17 models
  • Other minor bug fixes and feature improvements

More details: https://braiins.com/blog/development-update-braiins-os-20-11
Activity: 67
legendary
Quote from: Jan Čapek
Gentlemen, we have published nightly build that supports S17, S17+, S17Pro, T17 and T17+: https://feeds-nightly.braiins-os.com/20.11/ toolbox is on the way. For now, the best approach is to checkout the preview via SD card image.

So what this means is, currently Braiins OS+ is working with the following models:

S17, S17pro, S17+, T17, T17+
S9, S9j and S9i (separate image).

The recent blog entry explains that there is a problem with a few controllers using the Macronix NAND chip (its garbage). Currently the firmware checks if you have that and refuses to allow installing it to NAND. Controllers with the Macronix NAND should be rare, but if you have one of those, you can only run Braiins OS+ from the sd card for the time being. Most people should have the Micron NAND which works fine.

Remember that Braiins OS+ can run directly from the sd card without ever touching your NAND. The S17 family has no jumpers so it simply boots from sd when you insert it.

We have already seen people reporting 29W/TH with the S17+:

Quote from: Bas Laurier
Got my S17+ tuned to 29.3W/TH now @ 1700W 👌

Using this firmware with the S17+, T17 or T17+ is considered beta. The recommendation is to just grab the sd card image and flash it with Rufus, Etcher or dd to try it. Braiins OS can always run from the sd card itself without ever installing it into the NAND, feel free to test it without worries.

Within the miner's ui there is an option to install it permanently into NAND. Do this when you feel confident, or wait a couple of releases. Its OK to install it on the S17 and S17pro already, remember to use the latest version which is labelled braiins-os_am2-s17_sd_2020-11-05-0-7f7650dc-20.11-plus-nightly This image is for the S17 family only.

For the S9 the latest image which fixes the fans spinning fast issue when disconnected from the pool, is labelled braiins-os_am1-s9_sd_2020-10-25-0-908ca41d-20.10-plus

These are sd images that are meant to be flashed to a small capacity microSD card using rufus etcher or dd. In the S9 you need to move jumper jp4 to boot from it, the S17 family will boot from sd when you insert a card, there are no jumpers. You may test Braiins OS+ from the SD card without installing it to the NAND in the controller indefinitely.

The "Tools for Bitcoin Mining Insights!" have been released by Braiins.

With them you see:
  • Cost to Mine 1 BTC with any popular ASIC
  • Mining Profitability & Cash Flow calculator and visualization

Activity: 86
The new version 20.10 seems to not work on my 2 S17Pro.
1st one drops a hashboard all the time. Works fine with the 20.09.1 version.
2nd one doing its autotune for 6 minutes and starts over again, like its in a loop all the time. Works fine with 20.09.1 version.

Any other have the same issues?
legendary
You cannot update when using the sd card. Update only works when installed to NAND. If you insist in using the sd card, you have to reflash the sd card with the newer sd card image.

When you boot from the sd card there is an option in the System menu to flash to NAND, it I'll ask a couple of confirmations. Flashing to NAND is very quick, just a few seconds.
Not sure if this has been asked before but is there any way to stop the fans doing the initial fullspeed ramp up?

Currently running from SD card, would writing it to NAND help?

EDIT:Also, how long does it take to flash new firmware? I used the web package option on the main website and selected flash new firmware through the GUI. Its been saying its doing it for the past 20minutes.
legendary
Well so far i have only seen that the UI lets you set min powerlimit to 1480W, default is 2100 and max 5000 (don't use that).
In the text file you can even try some values the UI won't let... Not sure of the usefulness of that, you'll have to stop/start bosminer and never go to Miner > Configuration again or the ui will nag you to death about an invalid value.

In manual mode (or non plus), the configuration settings let you type 50 mhz frequency (default 500, max 700) and 14.31843v as the lowest (default 19.6, max 21.36). I doubt the boards would even respond if you forcibly use that, but at what point would they "wake up"?

Someone with an S17 willing to do some science?

S17 winter space heater coming soon. Cheesy
Pages:
Jump to: