Pages:
Author

Topic: Braiins OS & Braiins OS+ custom ASIC firmware: optimize performance & efficiency - page 7. (Read 45027 times)

Activity: 48
Merit: 14
Hi.

I'm running BOS+ from SD card on a single S9 13,5 THs version.

I've tried different Autotuning settings and so far it seems to run most efficient (taking into count profability) at 1000 W setting (930-935 W measured at the wall) and then mining ~12,15 THs.

Edit: Obviously always tuning until it shows "Stable"

I have the miner in a not yet insulated garage and outside temp is app. 5oC.

I've noticed that the miner performs differently when rebooted at different temperatures. Usually it performs better at warmer temperatures.

Because of this I'm wondering if it would perform even better if i rebooted it and retuned at a higher temperature. However when once tuned at 1000 W the settings are stored and the only way I can get it to retune is to choose another W-setting.

Is there a way to reset the tuning at 1000 W or is the way to go to retune at 999 or 1001 W?

It has now been tuned at 100 W-steps from 800-1600 W and I would not like to reset all autotune settings at once.

Regards.
Steff
legendary
Activity: 1988
Merit: 1561
CLEAN non GPL infringing code made in Rust lang
Every miner, every hashboard performs differently. Specific power limits will provide different results even with identical models, this is because the chips themselves all have varying qualities, and the autotuning algorithm will find out the best way to use each of them, which is why the process takes its due time.

So if you see someone with an excellent result, it doesn't mean you will get the exact same result using the same value. Especially if the other person has, for example, the S9j 14.5 and you have a vanilla S9 13.

The only thing you can do is experiment different values to find the best efficiency your specific miner can make. You have to wait for the Tuner Status to show Stable before measuring.
Activity: 8
Merit: 0
Hello Grin,

Wow, it's been awhile. Would like to say what's up to everybody! Started this whole mining thing around 16'-17' for awhile, life changed and miners got disconnected. Few months ago, decided to check on some old pools, that mining I did years ago actually made me some coin. Decided to sell my old S3+, picked up a S9i at a pretty good price compared to prices now.

Ok, i see users stating they are getting something like 10.5TH@755W on various forums out of Braiins OS+ with S9's. Could someone please explain how? For example, Set my Power Limit to 800W, settings are default w/AutoTuning & ASIC Boost Enabled. I get 8.3-8.5TH@755W. Settings presently are 10.42TH@993W. Looking for any links or info to learn more about low voltage mode and how to obtain those settings mentioned above.

Thanks for any info and knowledge.
Activity: 10
Guys does anyone know how to properly roll back from this version (Tue Jul 30 20:37:39 CST 2019) to this (Thu May 16 15:51:14 CST 2019) version? i got error while trying to flash it.
legendary
legendary
Activity: 4466
Merit: 1798
Linux since 1997 RedHat 4
Interesting that they claim to copyright a page that I wrote about half of it Smiley
legendary
I tried bos-toolbox install -p password 10.10.10.10 but I get this error:

Code:
[2021-02-28 20:40:13] INFO:Attempting unlock host on 10.10.10.10 with AntPwn v3...
[2021-02-28 20:40:13] INFO:Sending upgrade payload...
[2021-02-28 20:40:14] INFO:Triggering payload...
[2021-02-28 20:40:14] ERROR:Failed to trigger payload on remote!

Do you maybe know what causes this error?

This error happens with 2019 firmware before July. Just upgrade your miner first.

Does anyone have the braiinos link for dragonminer T1? I have 5 units and I would like to install it since I have it installed in antminer s9 and it is very efficient

T1 support was dropped in 2019, its not recommended.
Activity: 135
Merit: 11
I think I have this figured out. My hash boards have the inductors, and from what I can tell that means they should work with the Xilinx controller board. At least it is worth a shot to purchase one and try. Just wanted to get a better feeling for this before I spend the $$$ on ebay.

Thanks!

A question for any who may have done this before. I have a batch 13 S9 12.93 TH/s that came with a C5 control board. Can I simply upgrade to an Xilinx based control board? Is there anything I need to check first to make sure it is compatible with my hash boards?

I found other posts through searching, but some of that info was in conflict, so I wanted to confirm if possible, or at least get more information so I can confirm

My goal is to run my S9 at a lower speed with Braiins OS and thus more efficiently and at a lower noise level that is acceptable to my spouse (since that was the reason I shut it down last summer - the noise my spouse made over how loud the S9 was Smiley ).

Thanks in advance!
Activity: 6
Does anyone have the braiinos link for dragonminer T1? I have 5 units and I would like to install it since I have it installed in antminer s9 and it is very efficient
Activity: 1
Looking for the command to stop and start BOS from CLI. I need to add it to a crontab entry. Is there a command to exec or service to toggle? I see the stop and start commands from the GUI top banner under quick actions so I figure it must call a command in Linux.

Maybe just call /etc/init.d/bosminer stop?

https://www.sdyoung.com/dl/images/stop-start.jpg

Thanks!
Activity: 14
I tried bos-toolbox install -p password 10.10.10.10 but I get this error:

Code:
[2021-02-28 20:40:13] INFO:Attempting unlock host on 10.10.10.10 with AntPwn v3...
[2021-02-28 20:40:13] INFO:Sending upgrade payload...
[2021-02-28 20:40:14] INFO:Triggering payload...
[2021-02-28 20:40:14] ERROR:Failed to trigger payload on remote!

Do you maybe know what causes this error?
legendary
Does Braiins support voltage / frequency control via API? I am looking for a fully automated setup that is scaling up and down according to solar power availability. To consume as little grid power as possible while running at max when sun is shining  Grin

Wondering if Braiins might be able do this job, since stock firmware's miner API does not seem to allow that on a S9/T9, even on older firmwares.

The focus of Braiins OS+ is automated efficiency (its not about blind speed). Rather than changing speeds and voltages, what you change is the power limit and let the algorithm do the rest. In fact, you want to change the power usage and not mess with anything else and that's exactly what power limit is for. You are specifying watts the miner is allowed to use and let it sort out the rest as efficiently as possible.

The API documentation is here: https://docs.braiins.com/os/plus-en/Development/1_api.html

You could just swap the power limit and restart bosminer via ssh, schedule (crontab), or some custom script. Ask me on the telegram group if you need help with getting a script to change the power limit at specified times of the day.

Anyways, I have a question regarding BOS installation. Long story short, I tried installing them for my friend and he gave me the wrong password which is required to install BOS. Now I get this message in Command prompt:
ERROR:Auth credentials for host on ***.***.*.*** are wrong

What might be the solution now that I know the right password of these miners?

With the toolbox you use a command like this:

bos-toolbox install -p password 10.10.10.10

Typical password for stock firmware is either root or admin. It may be something else if this was changed. Else you can use the sd card if the password is unknown.
Activity: 14
Hi, I have been using Braiins OS for some of my miners and I am very satisfied!

Anyways, I have a question regarding BOS installation. Long story short, I tried installing them for my friend and he gave me the wrong password which is required to install BOS. Now I get this message in Command prompt:
ERROR:Auth credentials for host on ***.***.*.*** are wrong

What might be the solution now that I know the right password of these miners?

Thanks
Activity: 100
Merit: 29
Does Braiins support voltage / frequency control via API? I am looking for a fully automated setup that is scaling up and down according to solar power availability. To consume as little grid power as possible while running at max when sun is shining  Grin

Wondering if Braiins might be able do this job, since stock firmware's miner API does not seem to allow that on a S9/T9, even on older firmwares.
legendary
Activity: 2170
Merit: 6279
be constructive or S.T.F.U
What kind of performance can I reasonably expect on S9 and S9i, assuming I set powerlimit to 1500. For some reason autotuning is giving me 16+th on one..and only 14th on the other, even though both have all chips active? I’ve heard of people getting as high as 18th+?

Some chips are just bad and can't be tuned above their average, of course, assuming you are doing everything right and your PSU is in great shape, so don't expect that all gears will perform the same, that won't happen. as far as the 18th claim goes, it's possible but most likely not without liquid cooling, I am pretty sure most gears will collapse when you start pushing past 16th, overclocking your gears to 16th is already a bit risky, attempting to go higher is a toast recipe.
Activity: 19
Merit: 21
I have seen as much at 17TH output on higher power settings (1400W) with my S9 units. I can often throttle back the power to 1100W or 1000W and still get the sticker 14TH output too, which is sweet.
Activity: 106
What kind of performance can I reasonably expect on S9 and S9i, assuming I set powerlimit to 1500. For some reason autotuning is giving me 16+th on one..and only 14th on the other, even though both have all chips active? I’ve heard of people getting as high as 18th+?
legendary
Correct, the binaries were taken down as various windows tools decided to falsely flag them. You can get them from telegram but its best to stick to the Linux binaries (windows 10 can easily install Ubuntu wsl which for the common user its just a better cmd).

Open "Ubuntu" and use the toolbox as follows:

wget https://feeds.braiins-os.com/toolbox/latest/bos-toolbox
chmod +x bos-toolbox
./bos-toolbox install -p root
ipa.ddr.ess

You may need to replace the password root with admin. And instead of the ip address, you can use a text file containing a list of ip addresses, one per line.

Or use the micro sd card test/install method, which is currently required for S17s and T17s anyway.

Let me tell you something interesting. Unlike some other firmware, Braiins OS does NOT write to the eeprom of the hashboards. Should a bug, or a power failure occur during this, you may end with an apparently unusable miner, as certain firmware mods are known to corrupt the eeprom when writing their "tuning values".

The autotune solution from Braiins is completely done in software by bosminer+. Also you don't want bad values in the eeproms when running those firmware, it may tell it to use nasty values prematurely ending your hashboard life. Thankfully Braiins OS (unlike others) does not use these values at all as it has its own independent implementation.

Braiins OS can still work with hashboards suffering this corruption, if at least one of the three is good, it will read the eeprom only to identify the correct miner model. There is also an option to force the model should all three be corrupted.

Braiins OS does not "repair" machines, it simply uses them in a much cleaner way, which is what you should expect when doing your own thing from scratch, rather than manufacturer modified cgminer modified again by others (and nobody publishing back their changes, violating the license of course).
legendary
Activity: 3234
Merit: 2943
Block halving is coming.
I think you can't find the windows version because they temporarily remove it due to some issue. Look at this reply from Slushpool:

It was from the brains OS youtube guide related to bos-toolbox from here https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=PjCZIVkTuLI. So try to contact Slushpool about the exe file of this tool or you might need to switch to Linux.
Activity: 71
Merit: 41
Either use the sd card recovery image from Bitmain, or the bos-toolbox, ie. bos-toolbox uninstall ipaddress. Then log into the miner and "update" that firmware to the latest from Bitmain.

Once you have Braiins OS installed just inserting the sd card won't boot from it unless you edit the text file uEnv.txt and add the line sd_boot=yes. I don't think reflashing Braiins OS from sd would make any difference, what you could try is re-enabling the boards (in Miner > Configuration) and lower the powerlimit (autotuning should always be enabled).

Thx. Cant seem to find windows version of bos-toolbox. Only Linux on website. Do you have a link?
Pages:
Jump to: