Pages:
Author

Topic: Braiins OS & Braiins OS+ custom ASIC firmware: optimize performance & efficiency - page 6. (Read 45027 times)

legendary
Activity: 2170
Merit: 6279
be constructive or S.T.F.U
Not sure what your 'simple' math is, but you're talking about faulty miners and putting them back together with bits a pieces.

it is simple logic, some of these custom firmware do "revive" hash boards that the stock firmware fails to detect because it is a piece of shit for most miners, getting a hashboard back to life and paying 2%, 3% or even 5% is, of course, a lot better than saving on fees with your hash boards sitting on the sideline earning you nothing.

Another major advantage is the auto-tune, the stock firmware sets everything at default, custom firmware such as BO+ reduce the power consumption by a good margin which makes the fees justifiable as far as the user is concerned because if I can save a total of $100 on power and pay $20 on fees, I'll happily accept it, in fact, I believe anyone with common sense would, not sure about you.

psus are all hard to find.

I think grace has PSUs for the 17 and 19 series in stock for 200+.
legendary
Activity: 4466
Merit: 1798
Linux since 1997 RedHat 4
Not sure what your 'simple' math is, but you're talking about faulty miners and putting them back together with bits a pieces.

If instead you are claiming that Bitmain lied to all their customers about the S17 performance (18.xTH per board), then by all means you should start a class action with everyone else who ever bought an S17 ...

Of course this doesn't answer my question above ...
legendary
Activity: 4102
Merit: 7765
'The right to privacy matters'
So here is some simple math.

3 s17 machines

with 7 boards

and 5 worked they did about 84th between them using stock bitmain firmware. no fee.

using braiins

6 boards work and I get 108th 2% fee

2% of 108 is under 3th. lets round to 3

so 108-3= 105 th

So I now have 105th vs 84th and i use less watts per th.

note this includes the 2% fee so I gain 21th and get about 37watts per th vs  42 watts per th.

I want to stress s17 psu are very very very hard to find.

If you do not have any spares consider using this firmware it saves watts which is easier on the psus.

Think of the 2% fee as psu insurance.

at the moment
bitmain
s15
s17
s17pro
s17e
s17+
s19

t15
t17
t17e
t17+
t19

psus are all hard to find.

braiins works with a lot of the gear above.

if you are doing 2200-2300watts  with bitmain firmware and drop to 2000 watts with braiins

it should in theory let your psu last longer.

this is why I am converting my s17 to braiins slowly but surely.

I do not want to burn out the psus.
legendary
Fear not, when you use Slush Pool with Braiins OS+, the pool fee is waived. Its even cheaper than yours...
Also, but most important: How many watts the miner is using at that speed vs "standard" (your beloved bmminer)?
So you are claiming that slush pool total fee (pool+firmware) is charging their miners less than 0.9% when using OS+?

... and I do (or don't) wonder why the opening post doesn't tell anyone about the OS+ fee.
legendary
Activity: 1988
Merit: 1561
CLEAN non GPL infringing code made in Rust lang
I got it to upgrade to 3/3/2021

Upgrade to today's release, it incorporates more fixes:

You have it doing 18.xTH per board on the 2 'better' boards, but isn't that what it's supposed to do with standard firmware? (without losing a 2% fee)

So either you lose 2% off that, or it's running 2% harder than what you see to cover the fee and still only getting the expected hash rate?

Fear not, when you use Slush Pool with Braiins OS+, the pool fee is waived. Its even cheaper than yours...
Also, but most important: How many watts the miner is using at that speed vs "standard" (your beloved bmminer)?
legendary
You have it doing 18.xTH per board on the 2 'better' boards, but isn't that what it's supposed to do with standard firmware? (without losing a 2% fee)

So either you lose 2% off that, or it's running 2% harder than what you see to cover the fee and still only getting the expected hash rate?
legendary
any one running s17s I have a s17 running and used tuner  vs my settings

I am trying to determine how long tuner tunes.

also what are people getting with the tuner set to 1425 watts

I am at 1 hour and 11 minutes and around 42 th at  1425 watts setting

I have this firmware

2020-12-17-0-27e4d572-20.12-plus

You are running a version too old, the x17 family has gotten many updates and bug fixes, in the following days should come another release, but you can try enabling nightly feeds (only if installed into NAND, SD image here) in the meantime.

The latest nightly is 2021-06-10.

Too late dropped off at clifton.

I do have access via teamviewer can I hit upgrade to upgrade>
I am installed into nand.

I got it to upgrade to 3/3/2021

edit:

Interesting fact. I set up 2 of these using parts from 3 s17pros.

two had 2 good and 1 bad board

one had 1 good and other boards were sold. 7 boards total.

So after much tinkering with the 3 miners .

I built 2 braiins units and I have a dead board missing a heat sink.

I will be sending the dead board and miner for repairs after I check in on a pair of t17's which are troubled.

Back to the working braiins boards.

1 works great no issues and tunes well with the 3/3/2021 software.

the other is a different story one board is weak and will not tune properly. It gets too hot.

So I set the freq lower to 470
And set the other 2 boards to freq 570
temps work this way on this unit.
see results below

legendary

I have this firmware

You are running a version too old, the x17 family has gotten many updates and bug fixes, in the following days should come another release, but you can try enabling nightly feeds (only if installed into NAND, SD image here) in the meantime.

The latest nightly is 2021-06-10.
legendary

I have this firmware

Activity: 2492
Merit: 621
Thanks Artemis, I tried that but obviously the wrong file lol. I didn't realise it was the one for the arm controller.

EDIT:-

Just flashed it. Works perfectly. Thanks again.
legendary
So thats a case of switching the jumper and loading to an sd card and writing to nand again?
legendary
For S9 the current latest "major" is 2020-11-27 and latest "minor" is 2021-04-29 which for most users is just a small UI update. It does add support to the Braiins OS Manager if you want to test it.

The Minor releases need to be upgraded or installed manually rather than with the usual built in upgrade methods.

Whats the latest release for the S9?

My current firmware is dated 27/11/2020.

Auto Update is ticked and I've tried "bos-toolbox update" but any method I try says that its the latest firmware, but I've seen listings of S9s on ebay with a different GUI which I'd like.
legendary
Hello,

A small question regarding the maximum power of 1600W for an APW3++ power supply for an S9i.
I have one of my S9i that has a card out of order, so I unplugged it.
If I leave the Braiins OS+ configuration on 1600W, will I have a maximum of 800W in each card or the software will automatically calculate to put only 533W per card?

Thanks
Mickael

If you read Bitmain's documentation, you will notice they say efficiency is good up to 93.5% load, then it drops very fast. This means 1496W should be the theoretical MAX value.

Switching PSUs should not be run at full capacity for sustained periods of time. Safety margin is in order. Commonly with computers or electricity in general, people leave 20% margin, which for 1600W means 1280W.

In electricity (and electronics) you don't want to be running things at their max ratings, always leave a safety margin. For this reason the default comes at 1420W which is meant for the APW3++ that many S9s use.

Also, it is a known fact that Bitmain asics are more efficient a slower speeds, which is why many people use values near 900W for the power limit value, which also allows it to run at 110V and a single fan.

To answer your question, the answer is no. Each hashboard will always get 1/3rd (or slightly less) of the specified power limit value, so you don't need to be changing this value if you have less boards enabled or connected.

And now an announcement:

Braiins OS+ Nightly Release for X17 Devices
What's new:
+ the tuner has been significantly improved to ensure faster convergence and more stable tuning configurations. Old tuner profiles are kept, but ignored.
+ for safety reasons, the fans are running @ 100 % during the tuning phase. Once finished, the user settings are used
+ BOSminer will keep on restarting underperforming hash boards instead of switching them off completely. The delay between restarts exponentially grows from 5, 10, 20, etc., up to 180 minutes if the hash board performance doesn't improve. (In some cases, a simple restart is all that's needed for the underperforming boards to begin hashing properly.)
+Dynamic Power Scaling now works even with Manual Fan Control

How to install the nightly build:
1. Download the new BOS Toolbox from here:
Windows - https://feeds.braiins-os.com/toolbox/latest/bos-toolbox.zip
Linux - https://feeds.braiins-os.com/toolbox/latest/bos-toolbox

2. Install/Update Braiins OS+ with the following command:
Windows - bos-toolbox.bat install --nightly list.csv
Linux - ./bos-toolbox install --nightly list.csv

Documentation for more detailed instructions on how to update: https://docs.braiins.com/os/plus-en/Setup/1_quickstart.html#update-braiins-os
Activity: 1
Merit: 0
anyone else have trouble with brains and Awesome miner?
Activity: 71
Merit: 5
Hello,

A small question regarding the maximum power of 1600W for an APW3++ power supply for an S9i.
I have one of my S9i that has a card out of order, so I unplugged it.
If I leave the Braiins OS+ configuration on 1600W, will I have a maximum of 800W in each card or the software will automatically calculate to put only 533W per card?

Thanks
Mickael
Activity: 48
Merit: 14
To delete the profiles just do the following from the miner's UI:

Quick Actions, stop bosminer
System > Software, install luci-app-commands
System > Custom Commands
  Configure > Add
      Name: Delete profiles
      Command: rm /etc/bosminer-autotune.json
  Dashboard > Run Delete profiles
Quick Actions, start bosminer

Of course you could instead just ssh into the miner and do the same:
ssh root@IP_ADDRESS '/etc/init.d/bosminer stop && rm /etc/bosminer-autotune.json && /etc/init.d/bosminer start'

Or do it in batch using the bos-toolbox:
bos-toolbox command iplist.txt "/etc/init.d/bosminer stop && rm /etc/bosminer-autotune.json && /etc/init.d/bosminer start"

Isn't it great to have a proper OS running in your miner, rather than that Xilinx crud everyone else just modifies because they are too lazy to do any better?

Hi Artemis.

Thanks a lot for this info. I'll try it out when it gets a little warmer outside.

BR.
Steff
legendary
braiins has shown to work better for the 10 s9's and the  one testing s17. That I loaded braiins to.

eventually I will place more gear on braiins.

I have been neglecting sha 256 asic gear and mining due to the gpu/eth boom.

I can still get an occasional gpu close to msrp. Mine eth and swap to cash /BTC  

I Just did that this morning converted 600 in eth to 300 in btc and 300 in cash

So my attention is grabbed by gpus more than asics. Due to superior profits available to gpu miners.

I like braiins and eventually will likely end up with most of my asic gear using it.

legendary
To delete the profiles just do the following from the miner's UI:

Quick Actions, stop bosminer
System > Software, install luci-app-commands
System > Custom Commands
  Configure > Add
      Name: Delete profiles
      Command: rm /etc/bosminer-autotune.json
  Dashboard > Run Delete profiles
Quick Actions, start bosminer

Of course you could instead just ssh into the miner and do the same:
ssh root@IP_ADDRESS '/etc/init.d/bosminer stop && rm /etc/bosminer-autotune.json && /etc/init.d/bosminer start'

Or do it in batch using the bos-toolbox:
bos-toolbox command iplist.txt "/etc/init.d/bosminer stop && rm /etc/bosminer-autotune.json && /etc/init.d/bosminer start"

Isn't it great to have a proper OS running in your miner, rather than that Xilinx crud everyone else just modifies because they are too lazy to do any better?
Pages:
Jump to: